Time Glitch

The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell

I'm all for introducing a hell difficulty game mode. Maybe have it as a side option for servers. PvE with E being hell, only way of surviving is proper coop could add a nice depth to the game and a whole new level for us who want more challenge from the elements and game itself. The ultimate battle against the elements. It definitely needs to be there or at least in another similar game. Bear Grylls mode engaged.

And what about permadeath?

As of now, permadeath means you just respawn, go to your dead body and you are good to go. Another thread led me to an idea of making dead more punishing. Lets say it prevents you from playing for short period of time (ranging anywehere form 15 minutes to 6 hours). Prolonged periods wouldnt be any more beneficial as many players would simply leave the game they cant play since they are always dead.

Another thing that comes to mind is make fresh spawns unique. As of now, each player spawns with a flashlight and a bandage. Lets give each 1 - 3 random items at spawn. Someone spawn with flashlight, another one with can of beans. Yes, it would make start bit unbalanced, but lets be honest, life is a b***h and sometimes you just get lucky.

I get both sides of this however, here is another point that will come around.  People who dont want to PVP, will end up getting and locking down their own servers.  This allows them to maintain their own PVE desires with their friends.

This is something that I am a fan of.  I like PVE, and like the adventure of seeing whats out there.  IF we have more zeds, creatures of the forest and other certain maladies to worry about, I dont want to worry about getting PVP'd.  Is that a case in the real world should this happen, sure would be...but, this game unfortunately cannot provide the same sustainability that RL does.....well not yet.

Hey Rocket, I know you bringing creatures of the world into the game.  Some will be agressive, some will not.  But, do make sure that ALL creatures are meat.  Then lets consider fishing too.  This will allow for lighter spawns of "canned" food.  Maybe boinling water for drinkability seeing there is only so much of the water purification tablets....stuff like that will being more "real world" than anything.

There is my two cents.

I have to agree on making it more co-op based. Would be much more enjoyable to survive as a group, but obviously it has to remain feasible to survive on your own, just harder.

1) Rocket already confirmed loot on survivors can get destroyed from gunshot. Unless Bandits can get a clean shot on the head, logically, they shouldn't take the risk. This make the bandit behavior more calculative, less straight up gun-blazing. More realistic. More fun as well being a bandit.

2) The risk: Rocket confirmed your character is going to have value outside of gear. You gain this value through surviving through diseases, you gain immunity, and, all these are in Rocket's own words, doing things like sutures a lot would result in player getting better at the craft, hence, less likely to gain infection from your sutures. No doubt it's not going to be the only thing that player can get better at from doing a lot. You wouldn't be taking risk easily, because you care for your character, not just their gear.

3) What happens after (2)? If someone clearly has an adventage in a situation, you'd surrender when they ask you to, you would want to keep your character alive.

4) It's not about annhilating KOS plays. There're different kinds of people in this world, all variation should be supported. And yes, you should have to be a really good shot to live the KOS style.

Edited by Day Unit

Skipped forward 35 pages expecting a continuing discussion, found a necroed thread =.=

Not sure how many of these made it into the game thus far, but I wholeheartedly agree with everything except the time taken to heal broken limbs. People are just going to kill the wounded person for a respawn and go collect them. A full day (anywhere from four to seven hours real time) with limited movement functionality is going to detract from the appeal of the game. It's hardcore, it's closer to realistic than bull**** - but if there's anything players across nearly every genre of gaming wholeheartedly HATE, it is not being able to move at the fastest possible speed at all times. Broken legs should require some time to heal, enough to make a person squirm for having been stupid/reckless/unlucky enough to get themselves shot, but it shouldn't be anywhere near a full game day. Rather, make it a server-adjustable variable that admin can set manually to a minimum or maximum value if you do put it in. On a wider scope, if you wind up making this ruleset, you could in theory make it a seperate ruleset - a hardcore mode that can be selected when a server is made, completely seperate from the original rules. I very much like the look of this ruleset, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who actually enjoys surviving, as opposed to a bit of survival and a lot of PvP.

Apologies for perpetuating thread necromancy.

If you are tired of being shot in the face without interaction, start your own RP server. Now every interactions will be : "Good evening Sir!" and then you are shot in the face.... twice.

Reading through the OP I was like "Uhhh.. aren't a lot of these suggestions already in the game?" then I noticed it was made almost 2 years ago, haha.

Yeah, because every player wants to start off with a bb rifle and a pocket knife. Cooperation!

Honestly I don't think this will solve the problem your after; though I agree I would like to see the difficulty in some areas raised. But not in away it takes away from player choice and ability to play solo. 

Adding a social aspect to DayZ is not possible the way the game is now, no matter what you do people KoS for a simple reason; That Reason is simply you can't trust other people.

I KoS because there is no way to be sure about anyone, I would love to be able to Approach people and chat or trade or maybe even team up in game but everything always comes back to the same

problem. I don't know the person for shit and they are likely to kill me if I give them half a chance. I would rather things stay this way then have Difficulty take away my sandbox experience and limit my choice to play solo in the game. 

I think a a Good Solution to adding some Social aspects to the game with out compromising and forcing players to play a certain way is a Red Vrs Blue type mechanic.

Basically say 40 man server has two types of Players a Bandit or a Scavenger. Players pick in character customization which they want to be. Players of the same type can not hurt one another and also while insight of one another they see some kinda visual marker saying there also a Bandit or Scavenger and there name. this opens Bandits and Scavengers up to safe Social experiences in DayZ, you would start like normal alone with whatever supplies and you may or may not run into a Bandit or Scavenger, and when you do you know right away how to treat them.. if another of your type you could chat, team up, trade, etc but your not forced to, this isn't like a team death match just away to spot who is what and guarantee some safety ( because you can't trust anyone if they have choice) 

there would be no teams players can choose to team up if they want or play solo.. also Bandits and Scavengers would still have the choice like they have now to not kill each other and maybe trade or team up also.  

This wouldn't oust the KoS mentality of Players but nothing will ever do that because you can't trust strangers but with this system you can trust another bandit or another Scavenger (which ever you happen to be) so there would be more Meet & Greets in DayZ and more friends made, more Trading  and ultimately less KoS because of it and I think this could add a lot to the game with out compromising the core values of DayZ and adding gimmicky Humanity systems or making the game Overly difficult in an attempt to force everyone to play together.

and you can still have hardcore servers with free for all and FPS only etc like you have now for players like me that prefer it the way it is now.

cheers

PS edit post to make it clear

Edited by MarcusB

Right now group cooperation is only beneficial for either Griefing or defence against Griefing as thier is no real value to a life in DAYZ only the gear you carry.

So right now your gear has more value than your life. 

Game needs characters to be able to develop "Player Life Value" that supports co-op play that can be base building, medical, food, survival skills.

At our most basic level humans co-operate because it is beneficial ie the other human has skills you need etc.  

right now the game is a semi survival FPS with a few zombies and only real aims is to hit the military bases get geared up and go out player killing. 

Its interesting but after a while risks getting boring as there is little else to do but roam the map and kill other players.

Acidcloud   

Right now group cooperation is only beneficial for either Griefing or defence against Griefing as thier is no real value to a life in DAYZ only the gear you carry.

So right now your gear has more value than your life. 

Game needs characters to be able to develop "Player Life Value" that supports co-op play that can be base building, medical, food, survival skills.

At our most basic level humans co-operate because it is beneficial ie the other human has skills you need etc.  

right now the game is a semi survival FPS with a few zombies and only real aims is to hit the military bases get geared up and go out player killing. 

Its interesting but after a while risks getting boring as there is little else to do but roam the map and kill other players.

Acidcloud   

people still won't not KoS in game, Things all come back to the main reason KoS is King.. You can't trust anyone you don't know, Skill system in place won't make a difference as when I run up on someone in game I'm not stopping to browse his skill tree and see if he is useful before I kill him, I'm not gonna talk to him first to have him tell me he is useful.. I'ma shoot first while I have the upper hand because even if he is useful doesn't mean he is friendly or will find me useful.  

skill systems in a sandbox game, all skills need to be able to be learned by  a single player or you kill the solo game, which also in time will defeat the purpose.  also as most people die with in the first 20 hours of a character developing skills that take any kinda real effort to learn is out of the question when you can die so completely with one bullet to the back. ergo new spawns still get murdered older characters have more to lose then ever and either become more illusive and play with there gaming groups etc "who are likely the only people to benefit from this."  this won't push anymore player interaction in the game.. maybe on the forums but meeting strangers is always gonna have a dominant way of climaxing... KoS.

the only way to limit this kinda interaction is to put rules in place. which ruins any sandbox, or to put harsh penalties on Kill other players, which in this game is wrong because it takes a valid means of survival and makes it blah so other means of survival have a better chance. Humanity system is garbage, unrealistic and wrong to add to the game no matter how it's done. most people who would choose to kill someone in real life won't suffer from remorse or regret. these symptoms more often are had by soldiers that were ordered to kill someone and didn't have the choice or people who mistakenly killed someone. Gangsters in real life are notorious for killing and responsible for some of the worst murder sprees in American history and those guys had a blast in the prohibition era. some people might suffer a little mentally for doing something like that but most people who do it, don't care or after they do it so much stop having any kinda negative effect on there mentality .. humanity system is garbage.

Agree there will always be people who like to KOS, but there is little else to do in this early game so KOS or banditry is has become the norm.

Agree there will always be people who like to KOS, but there is little else to do in this early game so KOS or banditry is has become the norm.

Thats why I proposed the bandit or scavenger aspect as a predefined choice, Bandits and scavengers can't hurt there own kind, but you can still be KoS by them.. the difference would be at least sometimes in game you would come across another bandit or scavenger and be able to safely approach them for trading or chat, maybe even make some friends and team up etc I think this is really the best your gonna get for adding any kinda

social aspect to the game with out really hurting one style of play or another.  could even change the rule set abit and say that only scavengers can't hurt other scavengers but bandits can still kill one another along with scavengers.. this gives some natural incentive to play as a scavenger, as playing as a bandit it will be much harder to have that social aspect with trading and team work becuase other bandits might still kill you as well the trade off is the bandit still gets to go balls deep with solo PvP and play while the scavengers will be limited to who they can kill but now at least it's possible for scavengers to find one another and band together in the world for some protection / trading etc.

idk I'm honestly fine with the game the way it is.. but if something has to change I don't want it to be a penalty system to killing.. humanity etc..

Edited by MarcusB

I believe that KoS is a integral part of a true survival game and is what makes DayZ so fun. That being said, I believe KoS will drop quite a bit when there are actual threats to solo play. As it is there is no real logical reason to not just kill anyone you see and take their stuff.

If you believe apocalypse will be completely cooperative then your being delusional.

The game is still in ALPHA stage and shouldn't be judged too early in certain aspects of the game, cause lack of its core features

make PvP more popular choice, since there isnt anything els to do yet. As well if you have servers that restart about once a week

i imagine scavenging equipment will be more difficult and its the short server restarts that make the survival even more easy.

*double posted delete this*

Edited by JuX

If you believe apocalypse will be completely cooperative then your being delusional.

The game is still in ALPHA stage and shouldn't be judged too early in certain aspects of the game, cause lack of its core features

make PvP more popular choice, since there isnt anything els to do yet. As well if you have servers that restart about once a week

i imagine scavenging equipment will be more difficult and its the short server restarts that make the survival even more easy.

most of the key features have been in the mod for along time and has not changed the way people play it. 

most of the key features have been in the mod for along time and has not changed the way people play it. 

This is false

If you look at Epoch mod of DayZ then you see many people spend most of the time gathering resources to build bases

and such then hunting for players. Currently DayZ [sA] is more PvP heavy cause there isnt els to do when your geared up.

• Like 1

I think we all know where the game is right now,

- Its fun but little to do once kitted up, my interest is to open discussion on what players would like to see developed and implemented next to better balance game. 

- I know we dont make dev decisions but maybe we can influence if there is a clear  set of requests request

- a major problem for forums like these is its difficult to get that clarity cos messages get lost in sea of forum messages.

Maybe we could have a top 10 ideas on a sticky that can be voted for ??

But i think that making game harder ( more Zeds they are too easy when spawned singly) and introducing some form of skills / gathering / building are hot topics. 

• Like 1

Perhaps there can be a mechanism where a player can offer "friendship" or "truce" which will disable the ability for that other player to attack you. This opens up to trade and help on a temporary basis. Then again that may disrupt some folks strategy of claiming to be friendly and then the minute you turn your back they attack and take your stuff....

Just a thought. Other wise I like the idea of roaming hoards of zombies. *as always can we fix the zombies attacking through floors and running through walls?* sorry i always ask that :)

Perhaps there can be a mechanism where a player can offer "friendship" or "truce" which will disable the ability for that other player to attack you. This opens up to trade and help on a temporary basis. Then again that may disrupt some folks strategy of claiming to be friendly and then the minute you turn your back they attack and take your stuff....

Just a thought. Other wise I like the idea of roaming hoards of zombies. *as always can we fix the zombies attacking through floors and running through walls?* sorry i always ask that :)

It still ALPHA

Terms of truces it would be ridiculous considering the paranoia and fear is part of survival. You can always  holdup

people and establish peaceful relations of trust. It isnt foolproof but best way to show you are friendly.

Otherwise you have to gather group of friends you trust for the safety in numbers.

But i think that making game harder ( more Zeds they are too easy when spawned singly) and introducing some form of skills / gathering / building are hot topics. 

There wont be anykind of skill trees in the game cause its aimed to make real life skills transferable to the game.

Should you be a doctor then you can use your knowledge of medicines to your advantage.

However there will be form of gathering resources and some level of building, last time i heard we could potentially

build underground hiding places, which i personally disapprove cause it will be DayZ origin house camping all over again.

Perhaps there can be a mechanism where a player can offer "friendship" or "truce" which will disable the ability for that other player to attack you.

I always seem to see this idea popping up in games with some kind of heavy loss to PvP death...

Adding something like this would, in my opinion, go completely against the theme the game is built around. You're literally bearing your throat to another person if you choose to trust them in DayZ. That's how it should be; you're in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where resources are at a premium, blood is a luxury and your character's life is worth about as much as the goods you choose to adorn it with.

• Like 1