Time Glitch

The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell

make items more scarce? lol, I usually kill people so I don't have to look for the tools I need.

Well that makes you a bandit doesn't it? Hehe. I wasn't talking about banditry as such. Bandits are the aspect of the PvP that you'll always have and that will never really go away. It adds to the realism and immersion as well in my opinion. People who choose to be bandits shouldn't be hindered, just not encouraged.

The game inadvertently steers a lot of people towards killing without warning or any apparent reason other than "Hey look, another survivor.".

Edited by Admiral Skeybar

I don't really think people kill for food. They kill because it's easier to get rid of someone they don't trust rather than going through the whole complicated process of learning to trust them. It has to do with always expecting to be stabbed in the back. In real life people generally don't get killed by other people a lot. But imagine a real apocalypse, people wouldn't trust other people and the only thing stopping someone from killing another person who has nothing might simply be the respect one living human being has for another. In the mod this respect doesn't really exist, at least, not anymore.

I only used the food as an example because of the people who always joke. "I want your beans" and such. I honestly think the way people view an apocalypse and how they think people would react in one is really... unrealistic. Most people aren't sociopaths, so in the event of a struggle they would actually group together and not be trying to war against one another. This of course means different things for different people. Maybe those street thugs will think they have an advantage, go around doing what they want to who they want (bandits). Though there are far more good people in this world than bad.

In DayZ's case, you could gather a group of friends and frolick in the woods shooting at zombies but that only keeps you entertained for so long. The only solution would be to add more content to keep people busy. You aren't worried about shooting people when you're desperately searching for some type of weapon to defend against zombie/player. So adding more content for you to busy yourself with is the only thing to do, and that is only temporary. The only real solution, and I think everyone agrees against it, is making PVP optional.

It's an open sandbox game, and that's the most beautiful thing about it. If you want to be a homicidal maniac - you can. It should be no surprise that so many people choose this route, considering how PVP gaming has evolved.

If you want to group up, and have strength in numbers, you can do that too. No one and nothing is stopping you. I agree that it would be great to have an ingame mechanic to find friends on servers, and an ingame mechanice for people to team up, and maybe spwan on a beach close to the rest of the team, to have a team chat, and maybe even friendly fire off within the team. I know that last one takes away from realism, and I'm kind of divided on it myself, but it would stop people from using such a team mechanism to lure people and kill them. But such grouping mechanisms lacking, you could go to the clans section, make some friends, get some teamspeak or ventrillo on the go, or even some chat program, arrange to meet somewhere, and stick together in a large group; Strength in numbers - a lone bandit is going to be careful to mess with a large group. He's not likely to get all of you, and your pals can guard your stuff til you get back to reclaim it.

I like almost all of the ideas

I am all for the ideas in the 1st post.

Just imagine actually looking for other survivors because you NEED there help.

Í personally only shoot once I have been shot at. So I generally ignore players who are no threat.

Now if I HAD to look for another survivor in order to survive the, experience would get so much better. Players are random encounters and could be just as exciting as finding a crashed heli. Rocket has already made this so by making a blood transfusion require two players.

I was once engaged by a player, who I was forced to kill, that left me with less than 900 blood. I play alone, and was in desperate need of blood as I was passing out so often. Luckily the dead guy had a bloodbag in his backpack. I went on a journey to find a survivor who could give me a transfusion. That journey added so much more to the game. Depending on somebody else adds to the whole "survival" aspect of the game.

It could get so much more diverse if you required other players for repairing broken legs, there body heat and generally there extra pair of eays. etc etc.

Edited by goleastro
  • Like 1

I am all for the ideas in the 1st post.

Just imagine actually looking for other survivors because you NEED there help.

Í personally only shoot once I have been shot at. So I generally ignore players who are no threat.

Now if I HAD to look for another survivor in order to survive the, experience would get so much better. Players are random encounters and could be just as exciting as finding a crashed heli. Rocket has already made this so by making a blood transfusion require two players.

I was once engaged by a player, who I was forced to kill, that left me with less than 900 blood. I play alone, and was in desperate need of blood as I was passing out so often. Luckily the dead guy had a bloodbag in his backpack. I went on a journey to find a survivor who could give me a transfusion. That journey added so much more to the game. Depending on somebody else adds to the whole "survival" aspect of the game.

It could get so much more diverse if you required other players for repairing broken legs, there body heat and generally there extra pair of eays. etc etc.

You could have just eaten one or two cows and be completely healed. Cooked meat is like healing potions, this game makes no sense lol.

Edited by shanewalsh

@this fools that say that DayZ will be pure PvP for ever, you have no idea... just because you shoot at everyone and ofc find no friendly people because they are allways dead when you are next to them that doesent mean that everyone plays like that. I just met 2 friendlys today, we teamed up and played for some hours, found other players that didnt shot us (well, we were 4 so it wouldve been silly to do so but anyway) and that wasnt the first time that something like this happened to me. And harder PvE would make it harder to PvP ofc... you just need some brain to get that. You know, shooting someone -> lesser bullets, Zombies, mabye take injuries = death. Not shooting, mabye team up, healing each other, share loot = life, yey

All the people who complain about being solo... thats a choice. I played solo for a bit and got bored, and joined a clan. I still play solo a bit and with particular individuals I trust. Its much more fun that way. So what needs to be changed? Nothing really, except peoples play styles IF they want to group up or not. Can you survive alone? Yes, but its harder to get healed up (more work to get food etc.). Ive spent long periods of time when I palyed solo hunting or gathering just to get healed up all the way.

Also playing alone makes vehicles harder to find and get parts for. Since I grouped with friends, I get more vehicles/rides than I ever did solo.

So theres already incentive to group up if you want to, but also the option to play alone if you want to.

Making the game unbearably hard will force people to have less options and freedom in the game. The end result is that people will kill more IMO. It will just add more "justification" out of desperation to pop that guy and take his gear.

The game is sandbox - and it is what you make it. So make some thing of it instead of trying to change the game into something like seeing how long you can live while standing in a burning inferno.

Edited by Seddrik
  • Like 1

So theres already incentive to group up if you want to, but also the option to play alone if you want to.

Making the game unbearably hard will force people to have less options and freedom in the game. The end result is that people will kill more IMO. It will just add more "justification" out of desperation to pop that guy and take his gear.

The game is sandbox - and it is what you make it. So make some thing of it instead of trying to change the game into something like seeing how long you can live while standing in a burning inferno.

Well right now it's so easy to survive that there's really NO NEED AT ALL (except if you want to roleplay or need morphine because the game once again broke your leg).

If this doesn't change it will stay as it is right now - a CoD-like deathmatch.

It is a sandbox, and it should stay that way. But I don't even think that making the game harder will take away people's freedom.

What kind of freedom would that take away? The freedom to not interact with other players?

Well yes but that's what the intention of this change is. And I guess most people agree with this intention.

• Like 1

Almost all of the OP's ideas are excellent and would really improve the game.

Edited by brent2

What I want to see are zombies that make your life hell. They are the one thing that can make firing a weapon suicide.

The more I read in these forums the more I am starting to believe that pvp and pve can't exist in the same place at the same time. As soon as players survival depends on not killing each other then you have a pve situation and the game will be fundamentally different. Even if you are able to kill others players, no one will anymore because the game will have been made in such a way that its too hard and there's no point anymore. As soon as the balance tips one way even slightly, then the whole game changes. Although I'm still hoping I'm wrong :D

What I want to see are zombies that make your life hell. They are the one thing that can make firing a weapon suicide.

The more I read in these forums the more I am starting to believe that pvp and pve can't exist in the same place at the same time. As soon as players survival depends on not killing each other then you have a pve situation and the game will be fundamentally different. Even if you are able to kill others players, no one will anymore because the game will have been made in such a way that its too hard and there's no point anymore. As soon as the balance tips one way even slightly, then the whole game changes. Although I'm still hoping I'm wrong :D

another reason why we should have more melee weapons in the game, and a reason to make a hunting knife a weapon.

I guess in the SA they will focus much more on the surviving aspect with all the diseases and stuff so I guess this suggestion starts to be fullfilled :D

I don't agree with making the game impossible for the lone wolfs. Besides that the game also does not need to be to much of a chore to do, The looting factor is already quite big and not looking forward to too much deceases and other thing that makes it necessary to do even more looting. Murdering as it is now is easily balanced by removing uber weapons, thus making it mandatory to close in to your target if you want to shoot him, remove scoped weapons and the murder (problem?) will solve itself for the most part.

I think OP's idea should be used in combination with bandit character models. PvP would at least be halved.

I think OP's idea should be used in combination with bandit character models. PvP would at least be halved.

Disagree. They'll lose all sense of secrecy, and you won't have to worry about who not to trust.