Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jizz

What should I keep? the AKM or M4?

The Dilemma   

69 members have voted

1. 1. What should I keep, the AKM or the M4??

DualWeild_zps0f1f7d5f.jpg

So, the verdict seems elusive on the forums, and I was hoping to get a blend of opinions and other people's personal experience with these two powerhouses of the game.  Both have ups and downs in real life, but there's certain bits that aren't in-game that might make the decision easier.  For example, the AKM should basically be free from regular maintenance, where the M4 should require regular cleaning and upkeep (i know that its not perfectly true to life, but it would showcase the AKM's classic strength).  Also, if the suppressor/silencer was functional it might make the M4 a no-brainer.

Alas, as it stands I have to go by what the guns offer currently as strengths.  Just so everyone knows, my M4 has a pristine ACOG scope, MP stock, gear rail front stock, and 2 coupled mags; my AKM has the PSO1 scope, collapsible stock, gear rail front stock, a drum mag and an additional mag.  SO as far as upgrades are concerned, they're both rather well blinged out.

Carrying both is sort of a pain in the dick, and I hate having to put it down every time I have to pull out my canteen or compass. Hence the choice must be made. My sidearms are the Engraved 1911 (two mags) and a Sawed-off Shotgun (two snaploaders), both of which I value.  I have a Longhorn in my inventory that I'm hoping to bag a boar with, but I'm certainly not attached to it. 

** DO ME A SOLID, and be sure to post why you voted the way you did.  Personal preference is fine, but substantive examples of one versus the other are helpful to me, and anyone else pondering the same thing.

Edited by Mr Jizz

I'm using my M4 while I hunt for the AKM to switch to.

I prefer M16 series weapons in general, but I've boiled it down to witch kind of ammunition is going to be more common. I've noticed the AKM/SKS and mosin ammo are more abundant now so I'm swapping for the AK once I find it.

• Like 1

Yet to use an AKM as server restarted before I could use it.

However.

I was at NWAF, looting the last tent when I saw a guy crouched looking straight at me with weapon up. Ofc he starts shooting me. 

I am not bullshitting this kid hit me 10+ times as I was trying to scurry away. I had clothing but nothing pristine or military. 

As I was nearly dead, I thought I should just fight him. 3 M4 bullets and he was dead.

Now, obviously there could have been a million factors as to why this fight turned out the way it did -- but I'm saying M4 all day (which I also lost due to server restart)

You should keep your shit together and dont engage your items because Im going to kill you... :emptycan:

Edited by BayZ

Part of the reason I'm delegating my decision to the community is because I'm a defensive player.  I've managed to stay alive by keeping a pretty low profile, but I've found myself in plenty of situations where I had to fight. I don't start fights, but I will finish them.  Since I'm not out there trying to pick a fight, I may not have many opportunities to do a live field test of both. I'd like to know that I have the best tool for the job when my mic doesn't work.

I prefer M16 series weapons in general, but I've boiled it down to witch kind of ammunition is going to be more common. I've noticed the AKM/SKS and mosin ammo are more abundant now so I'm swapping for the AK once I find it.

This is the most compelling piece to the puzzle.  Its true, those little green boxes of 7.62x39 are seemingly anywhere and everywhere.

Comes down to preference really. If you are conservative with your ammo, use semi-auto and generally prefer to avoid a fight rather than start one, like I do, go with the M4.

If you like to spray, hunt and KoS go with the AKM since there's ammo all around.

Edited by xpD1

I haven't used the M4 a whole ton but I definitely prefer the AKM. PSO1 scope is nice for scouting things out ahead when you need to & don't have bino's or Mosin/LRS. Plus, now that M4 only spawn at heli's, ammo is a lot harder to come by.

I switched to an AKM because it is just much easier to support.  If you can hit up heli crash sites often enough, then you probably can keep the M4 stocked up.

M4 leads to more compelling gameplay. Less ammo equates to needing to be more accurate

M4, because I accuractly killed shitloads of people with it, head on against AKM users and I'm somehow still alive after all that. I have a magpul handguard, magpul buttstock and ACOG, so its slightly superior to yours. Either look for a handguard MP, or if you can't be arsed, esp because of the ammo scarcity, use the AKM.

M4 also has very mild bugged weaponshaking right now, making it easier to acquire targets.  It also depends on your preferred range. M4 will force you closer to your target, as the ACOG zoom is still bugged. (should have x4 like AKM)

Edit: in your sceenshot it looks like you have a vanilla buttstock, not MP. In that case, ditch the M4. Also you already made up your mind. The AKM is in your hands, not the M4, making it your weapon of choice.

Edited by Khanarac

I prefer M4 over AKM.  For me the AKM has too much kick and is too loud.  However, the big advantage of the AKM is that 7.62 is much easier to find than 5.56.  With the M4 you'll constantly be looking for crashed helis for ammo.

Edit: in your sceenshot it looks like you have a vanilla buttstock, not MP. In that case, ditch the M4. Also you already made up your mind. The AKM is in your hands, not the M4, making it your weapon of choice.

No, it's magpul, painted green. No question, I've had the gun for a while now.  Might just be something about the image. 

I have noticed the ak is very inaccurate , and the scope shakes really bad .., however if your hunting me I  would prefer you to use the AK...

I have noticed the ak is very inaccurate , and the scope shakes really bad .., however if your hunting me I  would prefer you to use the AK...

All guns shakes really bad at the moment. It is a bug. So I understand it can be really difficult for many players to appreciate the extreme accuracy of the AKM as it was experienced in the previous exp build, and which it will hopefully regain when they fix this shaking bug (which really makes all gunplay fubar atm).

Edited by BadAsh

Carrying both is sort of a pain in the dick, and I hate having to put it down every time I have to pull out my canteen or compass. Hence the choice must be made. My sidearms are the Engraved 1911 (two mags) and a Sawed-off Shotgun (two snaploaders), both of which I value.  I have a Longhorn in my inventory that I'm hoping to bag a boar with, but I'm certainly not attached to it. 

Sheesh...you've got enough armament to take on a platoon...

Unless you're feeling charitable, you may also want to scatter the magazines and optics and such when you dump one of the rifles.

• Like 1

AKM for the above reason alone. Once you have the AKM there would be no reason to ever goto another military base other than PvPing.

The M4 does have more accurate automatic fire though.  The AKM's recoil on auto fire is a bit excessive.

Edited by 5p4rtan

Unless you're feeling charitable, you may also want to scatter the magazines and optics and such when you dump one of the rifles.

Or if you want to be a dick, you can drop it in the middle of the road and just snipe the people stopping to pick it up :)

• Like 1

Yea, I don't feel right without a pistol and the sawed-off has bailed me out of nothing less than three KOS situations (it's just "point & kill").  Like I said, the Longhorn is a passing fancy and one of the assault rifles will probably go to a friend in need  :D  I don't see it as excessive, I prefer to interact with people, but with so many punk kids and bandits playing this game it's better to be prepared. 

I make a point to eat everything i can, so not carrying a load of food frees up some gear space.

LarrysLosersBanner_zps545a7592.png

This made me LOL.. nice  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Or if you want to be a dick, you can drop it in the middle of the road and just snipe the people stopping to pick it up :)

LOL.. tempting, but I'm a believer in karma.. even the virtual kind.  Some clown would probably think they hit the DayZ lottery  :lol:

What's it matter if you'll likely lose them soon any ways, and if you aren't going to engage in fights regularly and risk them, then again, what's it matter?

I have a pristine kitted out M4 and AKM minus the drum. When they patched I lost 10 stacks of 60 rounds for the M4. So I'm down to my last two 60 round clips (had 5). So far I've hard terrible luck finding any M4 ammo. I've only found two spawned crash sites and both were empty. I'm still using the M4 until I run out of ammo. If I can't find enough rounds for the M4 I'll have to give it up.

Also I think the suppressor on the M4 gives you an advantage in PVP. Especially at night or in the rain. I also find the AKM weapon sway way worse than the M4 at the moment.

All I know is I need to stop creeping through the NWAF. Had three fire fights in two days. Looks like everyone is trying to kit out their new akm. 

I picked the M4. The AKM has:

-no spread-
-slightly higher damage multiplier than 5.56x45 because of 7.62x39
(we later calculated this difference to be about a one shot difference with stats. However, 7.62x39 can OHKO if the enemy isn't wearing much armor.)
-high recoil
-high sway. The gun isn't extremely heavier than the M4 but this is a thing.
-stupid ammo logistics. It's absolutely batshit hard to manage everything there is to storing the ammo, loading the drum mags, and having the gun fire. 

The M4 was recently buffed to have better controllability. The gun recoils less now and it recoils diagonally up to the right, not straight left like it used to. It's very good at getting hits in. 

I hate to say it, but the AKM is a liability and a hassle when it shouldn't be. I would take the M4 and the issue of rarer ammo over the AKM. 
  • Like 3

akm for Camping a spot!

M4 for doin Psycho murder runs in beriiiiziiino!

depends on your playstyle. i find the akm extremely difficult to use immediately after taking a Marathon! dat sway lets me miss Zombies from 2-5 metres!

M4 doesnt sway dat much (maybe because it is not as heavy).

Edited by brumey

M4 more flexible.

Recently had a fight against the AKM. Guy walking near a fence while I was on the other side, approaching me. I jumped into his line of sight and he just.. didn’t hit anything. Saw the problem after I picked up his AKM attached with PSO Scope. It’s almost like using the LRS in <50 metres, plus much more swaying.