Sign in to follow this  
SLIZARAZO

I need serious help. So lost and no compass or map

So I bought this game today on steam and super excited started to play. I have been playing now for two hours and not seen a single human. I have no compass or map so I have NO IDEA where I'm going or what I'm doing. I go building to building to building to find noticing but rags and rotten bananas. Oh I found a Russian coke or some shizit like that. Is there something wrong with my game or is this place just so big that no matter what town I go to the chance of me seeing someone is so small or what's the deal. Please good grief I need help. I wanna enjoy this game.

• Like 1

Yup, basically, just use that map that TheCreeper linked and you should be able to find your way around. Remember to check the city signs (white with Cyrillic writing) and direction signs (blue with Cyrillic writing and arrows) in-game against the map, to find out what town you're in or near, and how to get to others. That map will have what's written on the signs, as well as the English translations.

• Like 1

Get your bearings, find some gear and a weapon before you go searching for other players. You will enjoy this game, just remember that everyone dies a lot. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for the good insight! I'm gonna do my best to hang in there. It's always nice when someone helps out the new people! Anymore good info is appreciated!

• Like 3

Thank you all for the good insight! I'm gonna do my best to hang in there. It's always nice when someone helps out the new people! Anymore good info is appreciated!

I'm a borny, kinda in my nature :)

Sun is still broken, raises in the south and sets in the north, head south, and here's a map, russian names and english as well

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

Most Server have 12 o'clock as starting time. But the sun always sets in the west for me.

• Like 2

Besides all the frustration this game will give you (not because of alpha bugs) you just need to hang in there. 

Those rags you found you can use as bandages when a zombie manages to get a hit on you.

Eat all the food and drink all the shizit you can find until you get the stuffed symbol next to your character in the inventory window.

Try to find a hatchet or machete as those are the best melee weapons for fighting Z's and look for a helmet (gives you extra protection) and a backpack (more storage room) too.

You will find these things most likely in garages and sheds.

Head away from the coast, that's riddled with bandits and try to move as stealthy as possible.

You can also check the number of players on a server and I would suggest looking for a server that has a decent amount of players ~20 and has some description in the server list. These servers usually have a TeamSpeak channel (they usually display it in the server messages) you can join and ask for tips and maybe assistance.

There is only one true statement when you play this game "you will die". 

Good luck  :thumbsup:

Sun is still broken, raises in the south and sets in the north[..]

Not for me.. I play a morning server (3-7am) and the sun rises just slightly left (north) of compass east. About halfway between E and NE (Almost as though Chernarus is deep in the southern hemisphere), but definitely rises much closer to the east than either north or south. I don't even use my compass anymore because I find the sun just as reliable, just gotta take that slight offset into account.

Edited by zeeabo
  • Like 2

Not for me.. I play a morning server (3-7am) and the sun rises just slightly left (north) of compass east. About halfway between E and NE (Almost as though Chernarus is in the southern hemisphere? Would that be right? I'm no expert in meteorology), but definitely rises much closer to the east than either north or south. I don't even use my compass anymore because I find the sun just as reliable, just gotta take that slight offset into account.

I've noticed this too, at noon the sun is over me, but slightly north and not south as it should be. Maybe Rocket got it wrong as he's from NZ.

Besides that it still raises in the east and sets in the west, just slightly north as if we are on the southern hemisphere in NZ.

I've noticed this too, at noon the sun is over me, but slightly north and not south as it should be. Maybe Rocket got it wrong as he's from NZ.

Besides that it still raises in the east and sets in the west, just slightly north as if we are on the southern hemisphere in NZ.

Aha yep that explains why it always felt perfectly normal to me, I'm in Aus. I'm gonna have to agree it was just an honest mistake due to Rocket's kiwi heritage.

• Like 1

Why don't you use google to find something like a beginners guide? The web is full with helpful websites.

Most Server have 12 o'clock as starting time. But the sun always sets in the west for me.

Hmm.... they may have fixed that since last time I played, good to know, thanks :)

Sun is still broken, raises in the south and sets in the north,

..//..

Is this TRUE...  ???

sob

was I going the wrong way all those weeks and months ? seriously, I didn't hear this ever - is it documented ?

all I can say is " good grief and holy catdoo ! "

.. the Wrong Way ??? ..eeek

(axes himself)

Is this TRUE...  ???

sob

was I going the wrong way all those weeks and months ? seriously, I didn't hear this ever - is it documented ?

all I can say is " good grief and holy catdoo ! "

.. the Wrong Way ??? ..eeek

(axes himself)

Hmm.... they may have fixed that since last time I played, good to know, thanks :)

Learn to read

Edited by TheCreeper

Learn to read

thanks Creeper I'll certainly take your advice into account

"Exemplum de simia, quae, quando plus ascendit, plus apparent posteriora eius"

xx

Edited by pilgrim

I'd suggest learning the towns on the coast first. It'll take a lot of running (hours and hours) before venturing inland. If you go inland and get lost you can use the sun to find your way back east or south to the coast, but you could be in for a hell of a run depending on how far you go. That being said, inland there's some crazy stuff hidden like castles - but if you go there on a low pop server you're really just sight seeing and unlikely to see anyone at all. Most players you'll find on the north east portion of the coast, basically all towns surrounding Berezino, mainly because that's where most of the spawn points are these days. If you want to do some sight seeing while gearing up and take lower risks head south towards Elektro.

Learning where to find fresh water ponds and fountains will help get you hydrated without looking for soda (you can sit there and spam the F button and drink until stuffed). And if you're hungry, if you don't have a can opener you can use other things such as hack saws, screw drivers, axes, etc to open cans (some will spill though, but at least you won't starve).

Good luck!

• Like 2

If you are having trouble navigating, the best thing to do is go on an online map (just google DayZ SA map), find a town, check what town it is via a sign, and then pick a location and head in the direction of the area you want to go to. I like to set markers and go there.

Yes, I agree, the coast can have advantages for noobies.  On the other hand, you'll probably die of thirst long before you make it inland.  Good luck!