Sign in to follow this  
Fragamemnon

Crazy Encounter

I typically play as a loner. I try to steer clear of people and areas where there will be confrontation. Even If I do travel to NEAF like I did last night. Now I also have to mention something here, the server had 5 or so other players beside me. I am still hyper vigilant though, and am always alert to a bandit or ambush. If I see other players looting an area I want to be in, I will usually wait them out or move on and come back later. 

I made my way over the ridge from the North of the Airfield. I sat up on the hill for a while, peering and searching through binoculars to see if there was any movement. After about 15 minutes I started running from cover to cover watching and trying to see if i was spotted, and if there was any movement from the buildings or ATC tower. Finally I made my way across the tarmac to the easternmost building. I aggravated a Zed on the way in, and didn't hear him until he was on top of me. Normally once in or near the buildings I will put away my gun and dispatch them pugilist style, but i had my Mosin in hand, was surprised and fired two shots. 

"Crap" I thought, "If there is anyone nearby they would have heard that." I continued looting the building and luckily no other survivors or Zeds wandered up on me.

Found some good loot in the first building, re-organized my mountain backpack a little and prepared for a run to the ATC tower building. The dash over was uneventful. I could tell no one was there since the last server restart. Lots of ammo, handguns and some medical items. More re-organizing on the ground floor and landing. Lots of drinking. I had been severely dehydrated earlier, and wasn't quite healthy yet, but getting there.

As I started to climb the final stairs I felt myself relaxing. Not letting my guard down, but at least assuming I was alone for the time being. I finished the climb and was just stepping out onto the catwalk perimeter of the ATC Tower and CRACK! PING! RIFLE SHOT near my head. I Instinctively crouched and ran to the stairwell and down. I felt like I had mere moments to prepare and as the adreniline pumped through my system I ran through scenarios. 

1) Was it a lone gunman taking a potshot?

2) Is the building surrounded and this was the first salvo to flush me out?

3) Do they think I am not alone and they want to gauge a response and see how many are with me?

It should be noted that at no time did I consider checking the server list for the # of people on the server. I knew when I logged on how many people were there, but had not kept track in the hour or so I had been playing. I also very briefly wondered if I had enough time to log out. I chastised myself for this. NO, I wouldn't take the easy way out. This is a game of survival and I would go down swinging.

I assumed the worst and immediately came up with my gut check plan. There is one way in to the building. I couldn't remember if there was a ladder outside to the tower portion, but if there was, they would have to come down the stairs to get me if I stayed on the stair landing, and from there I could cover the door. I crouched on the landing, aimed at the door and watched the stairs from the tower out of the corner of my eye. the last bit of preparation I made was toggling my mic on. I will always ALWAYS try and talk myself out of a situation first, then shoot second.

Now came the waiting. A minute passed, then another. My heart was pounding and my hand was literally shaking on my mouse. I started to hear footsteps running outside the building on the left, then some from my right. They were definitely coming from two directions. Two. Two of them were coming to kill me. I yelled out, "HEY! HEY I HEAR YOU AND I AM GOING TO SHOOT YOU!". I see text pop up. "LOL" We're not gonna hurt you man" and "COME OUT with your hands UP and no Gun." Damn. I had to keep averting my eyes from the door to read their messages. This was a tactic to distract me. I taunted them back "Bullshit. You shot first! I don't want any trouble." More text "Alright man, we're chill". I asked "You got a mic? Use your words man." 

He got on Mic. "It's cool man, it was just a warning shot I was just foolin around."

"No way" I am thinking. I tell him "I have the door covered. I will shoot you dead if you come in here with your gun. Drop it and come in, or move along. I can wait all night. If you want to come in and do some talking and trading it's cool, but I need some assurance you aren't going to kill me. Remember you shot first." He was scared I would shoot him regardless if he came in. I told him move along then. I already looted the place and neither one of us had to die tonight.

he agreed...WHAT!?

Yeah, he agreed to come in, no gun in hand. I had my Mosin trained right between his beady little pixelated eyes the MILLISECOND his head came around the corner. No helmet. No gun. He carried one on his back, but I could drop him fast if he moved for it. He came to the bottom of the stairs. We talked about how long we have been playing, what we have to trade and if we saw anyone else close by. 

I heard him talking to his partner, but he was not talking back. I asked that they both talk in game because them continuing on teamspeak was sketchy as hell. She obliged and asked if she could come in to the building too. She came in similarly unarmed. I lowered my rifle, but still held it in my hands. We continued to talk some, he had been playing a few months and only standalone, she just started the week before and was a complete Bambi. 

I found myself playing the caring veteran of the group and giving them some pointers on ammo and weapon loadout, food stuff and hydration. They started looking around and turned their back on me as they separated to check out the building. (They turned their backs on me...) 

Yes...I am ashamed to say it did cross my mind to drop them both and teach them a lesson. Instead I mentioned that even though I seemed friendly I could have just killed them both. The guy told me that yeah, that was a dumb move. 

I said my goodbyes and ran off. I think they were disappointed. As I got behind the storage building between the ATC building and the hangers I hid out. I wanted to make sure they weren't going to double cross me and chase me down but they were gone.

I hit up the rest of the buildings and headed into the village down the hill..

All in all a good encounter that could have gone horribly wrong for one or both parties. 

• Like 6

*snip*

(They turned their backs on me...) 

Yes...I am ashamed to say it did cross my mind to drop them both and teach them a lesson. Instead I mentioned that even though I seemed friendly I could have just killed them both.

*snip*

You could have just as easily dropped them when they walked in unarmed with your rifle pointed at their heads. I don't think that at this particular point in this particular situation, that there's much difference between turning around vs backing away..

• Like 1

just curious, did the situation take longer than the effort to get it all typed out?

• Like 1

You could have just as easily dropped them when they walked in unarmed with your rifle pointed at their heads. I don't think that at this particular point in this particular situation, that there's much difference between turning around vs backing away..

He came in, friend (or friends, at that point I didn't know) were still outside. I erred on the side of caution.

Once we were established and on friendlier terms, I had that nagging "waste them" moment...

Felt like a definite difference for me.

• Like 1

just curious, did the situation take longer than the effort to get it all typed out?

Not sure if sarcastic or serious...

Actually I type really really fast.

11/10, would read again.

However, I had a crazier encounter with my wife tonight that involved fuzzy pink handcuffs, a pineapple, and some Astroglide.

• Like 1

11/10, would read again.

However, I had a crazier encounter with my wife tonight that involved fuzzy pink handcuffs, a pineapple, and some Astroglide.

you must be in a lot of pain..,

brilliant story, loved every bit of it

Edited by Nick_Hutch

you must be in a lot of pain..,

11/10, would read again.

haha fuckin newspawns

I've had similar encounters at airfields. I still don't get why most people who are against kos agree that it is ok and/or expected at airfields. By that logic, every area that had a police station would fall under that circumstance. Cool that you were able to take control of the situation and talk it through instead of just retaliating in kind and never learning who those people were.