rotteck

the new PSO scope

hi guys,

i just figured ou that the new PSO scope from the experimental branch has a built in rangefinder !

M5WX3mZ.jpg

as you can see, there are severeal numbers, lines and a curve.

description:

- put the horizontal line to the feet of your player/zombie (or any target that is 1,7 metres high (see the number under the line)

- now slide the gun slowly to the right until the target fits perfectly between the curve and the line.

- take the number above the target and set your zeroing to that number (x100)

the small arrows are for how much you need to aim above your target (when zeroed to the lowest possibility) (from highest to lowest) from 200, 300, 500 and 700m

thanks to Sovetsky

the very small lines in the middle with the "10" at the end are either for

wind correction

or people in prone / animals

or for moving targets

everyone says something different :huh:

and make sure to set your FOV slider to the middle of the "e" and "i" in field, because otherwise it wont work right now

yay, i wont suck at sniping anymore :D

what do you think ?

rotteck

Edited by rotteck
  • Like 1

The ranges represented are 1-200, 300, 500, 700

the one in arma II also had a <100 and 900m mark

• Like 1

The arrows in the middle are elevation adustments for aiming at targets from/to certain distances. TBH no clue what the PSO scopes initial arrow is set. On the ACog used in the Marine corps though the top of the first chevron was 200m right below the tip above the vertical stick underneath the chevron was 300 than there were 400 and 500 markers. Sorry couldn't give you exact distances for the marks though. Either someone who's played this game WAY too much or a European who's actually had contact w/ a PSO scope will probably stop by shortly to give you them though ;)

The arrows in the middle are elevation adustments for aiming at targets from/to certain distances. TBH no clue what the PSO scopes initial arrow is set. On the ACog used in the Marine corps though the top of the first chevron was 200m right below the tip above the vertical stick underneath the chevron was 300 than there were 400 and 500 markers. Sorry couldn't give you exact distances for the marks though. Either someone who's played this game WAY too much or a European who's actually had contact w/ a PSO scope will probably stop by shortly to give you them though ;)

The more accurate version (as modeled in Aarma II) had a larger arror above the ones Shown in the SA representing less then 100m.

the SA version is ranged from topr to bottom

^ 1-200m

^ 300m

^ 500m

^ 700m

The arma to version also had one aditonal graduation at 900m, but the SVD struggeled at that range even with Arma 2's vastly lower dispersion values.

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 1

What guns can you fit this PSO-1 to then?

right now, only the AKM, but if it gets implemented (and it will soon) the SVD also. (and maybe more)

The RF is useless until the FOV is locked for scopes.

as it should be.

The RF is useless until the FOV is locked for scopes.

if you set your FOV to standard (as i have it) it works fine, but yes it should be locked

the standard is when the light-grey bar ends right after the "field" of "field of view"

The more accurate version (as modeled in Aarma II) had a larger arror above the ones Shown in the SA representing less then 100m.

the SA version is ranged from topr to bottom

^ 1-200m

^ 300m

^ 500m

^ 700m

The arma to version also had one aditonal graduation at 900m, but the SVD struggeled at that range even with Arma 2's vastly lower dispersion values.

see ^^^ what'd I tell ya with a name like sovetsky I think you're getting advice straight from Chernaurus. Thanks for clearing that up though Sov

All this is pointless as the FOV slider invalidates any sort of accurate measurement.

If the magnification was locked down for everyone regardless of FOV setting then fine this would be useful but its not .

• Like 1

Doesn't this have zeroing to 1000 meters? Then why bother with the arrows? At default FoV I think it would be something like 430m, 590m, 690m for the arrows and 200m zero with AKM.

This scope seems like a much better representation of a PSO-1 than ARMA 2's, which had the wrong reticle (more like PSOP) and lacked "zeroing".

qrNwJA5.png

Pso akm combo is a beautiful thing. 

• Like 1

Since you can zero to 1000m, the chevrons are actually for targets over 1000m, each one being an additional interval of 100m.

At least, according to the wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSO-1#Bullet_Drop_Compensation_elevation_turret

The three lower chevrons in the center are used as hold over points for engaging area targets beyond 1,000 meters (the maximum BDC range setting on the elevation drum). The user has to set the elevation turret to 1,000 meters and then apply the chevrons for 1,100, 1,200 or 1,300 meters respectively

Can anyone confirm that they actually coincide with 200, 300, 500, 700 meters as well?

Edited by Bororm

Can anyone confirm that they actually coincide with 200, 300, 500, 700 meters as well?

They do not, that's the ARMA 2 reticle, not the real one. Furthermore that's with ARMA 2 7,62x54R.

They do not, that's the ARMA 2 reticle, not the real one. Furthermore that's with ARMA 2 7,62x54R.

^ indeed was not for AKM with zeroing. ranges were taken from A2's PSO w/ the SVD. also as you pointed out in your pervious post, the current was in which FOV adjustment is applied while scoped in it renders accurate use of the scope's chevrons or built in range finder a matter of guesswork at best.

i really hope they lock FOV when ADS so as to make all graduations on optics function as intended.

Why didn't they go with a unified solution?

A 3D attachment + zoom like we have with the ACOG for all other optics (LRS included), or overlay + zoom like we have in the case of LRS and PSO for all other optics. Why different solutions for different optics?

A 3D attachment + zoom like we have with the ACOG for all other optics (LRS included), or overlay + zoom like we have in the case of LRS and PSO for all other optics. Why different solutions for different optics?

Because 2d scopes are better in nearly all situations in dayz.

The only time 3d scopes seem to be good in dayz are when they have no magnification such as red dots.

2d scopes for all magnified optics would help increase their useability , ensure that everyone has the correct magnification and perhaps in the future allow for ranging reticles to be adopted.

horizontal with the 10;s are wind correction mate

No, they are for humans in prone position.

Something like cz550 scope for animals in DayZ mod.

Edited by Frosti

Pretty sure they said they plan to make the LRS and probably this PSO scope into 3d scopes as well.  So the current ones being 2d are probably place holder till they figure out how to do it.

Edited by Bororm

Because 2d scopes are better in nearly all situations in dayz.

The only time 3d scopes seem to be good in dayz are when they have no magnification such as red dots.

2d scopes for all magnified optics would help increase their useability , ensure that everyone has the correct magnification and perhaps in the future allow for ranging reticles to be adopted.

That's what I actually meant... They should go one way (or the other). Instead they chose to have different implementations for different optics.

The 3d ones have the cool benefit of being able to show off their damage in an awesome way, that's probably what they want for the others as well.

Again, it's placeholder.

2D or 3D, I don't care, just let me use the scopes to find range again. Fix the FOV at minimum when zoomed, and make sure the reticles are correct at this FOV.

I miss that from the mod.

Edited by wartzilla