Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

Improving the Long Range Scope

Right now there are two main problems with the long range scope:

1. The magnification

2. The reticle

The magnification

As is the case with all standalone scopes in 0.44, the magnification is too low. This scope only magnifies 7.5x. This is a large scope which should magnify more than that (for those familiar with the mod, also note that by ARMA 2 standards this is only a 5x scope). Today the most popular magnification for common hunting scopes is 3-9x, which is more than this "long range scope". It must be increased.

If you look at the scope's power ring you will notice the magnification numbers go up to 15x, which a much more appropriate figure- thus it makes sense to give this scope something like 3.5-15x or 5-15x magnification (although the numbers also go down all the way below 1 to 0 - huh?)

Magnification up to 15x is visible on the power ring

Gzul0lV.png

Improving the reticle

First off, the current reticle is a bit strange and not too useful. It has the basic shape of a duplex reticle, but the posts don't even begin to extend nearly far enough towards the crosshairs and they are much too thick.

The current reticle has odd dimensions and is not very useful

2ugeb7k.jpg

How an improved duplex with proper dimensions would look (15x)

9TeuRo3.jpg

However, I think this scope deserves a mil dot reticle rather than a duplex. It's quite sizeable and of high magnification, has large target turrets, tactical rings, it is, as the name tells us, a "long range" scope. It should have a long range reticle.

How a mil dot reticle would look (15x)

s8S7PQA.jpg

Despite the FoV slider a 2D mil dot or duplex reticle would still be quite functional. It's easy to slide back to the default FoV with greater than 99.9% precision, or you can simply lower the FoV all the way and double your range measurements. It's worth noting that this scope's texture seems to have clicks in MOA, not mils, but this is a minor detail.

Anyways, whatever reticle this scope has should be of the proper dimensions- the current one is not.

Rangefinding with duplex reticles

Both these reticles would be more useful with more normal dimensions. Using the duplex reticle is fairly simple. Say the space between post tips measures 6" at 100 yards at maximum magnification.

ezf7X4C.jpg

Say you see a whitetail deer and bracket it with the duplex, it takes up half the space (3" at 100 yards). A whitetail has a chest about 18" deep, so this deer is at:

18 ÷ 3 * 100 = 600 yards.

Of course this would work on humans as well.

Rangefinding with mil dot reticles

The mil dots are also simple to use. The formula is:

target size in meters * 1000 ÷ target size in mils

For DayZ humans roughly 1.8 meters tall this is simplified to:

1800 ÷ target size in mils

pEn769T.jpg

Say you mil a sentry and find him to be 3 mils high. This means he is at:

1800 ÷ 3 = 600 meters

Those are my thoughts on improving this scope. Correcting the magnification and reticle dimensions is a must. If they wished they could also extend the "zeroing" to 1000 meters without negative effects. In the far future it would also be very nice to be able to see exactly what magnification you have it set to, such a feature would greatly extend the usefulness of the scope - right now the only useful magnifications for ranging and bullet drop are at maximum and minimum, the unknown in-between magnifications are just imprecise wasted space and time.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 31

i like this, beans for you  :thumbsup:  :beans:

Due to engine limitations I doubt we will ever get ranging reticles in Dayz.

I do find it odd that the LRS seems to be modeled after civilian high end optics such as nightforce or S&B scopes in the 3k + dollar range yet somehow all it has is a duplex reticle.

I don't even think any scopes above 300 dollars offer duplex reticles anymore.

As far as elevation adjustments I wish they would just drop the range estimating by 100s of meters.

Ranging a person at 500m should not be as simple as pressing page up 5 times.

Having built in maximum MOA or MRad adjustments onto scopes and then having each weapons, caliber, and muzzle velocity decide what the maximum elevation distance is would be far better.

So say you have a LRS on a ruger 1022 if you go all the way to 120 MOA or so your rounds will be hitting at 500m or so.

Yet on a .308 rifle your rounds will be out past 1000m.

Edited by gibonez

This is all great and of course should be implemented and not even very hard to do.

But.

It took them months to simply fix the reticle when it was not centered properly, do you think they can pull off something like you're proposing?

They are so bad. It is almost like the base of the game (what we had at the release) was made by completely different people and not those who work on it now. They had all complicated stuff built back then and now they just making some assets (more things to call placeholder).

• Like 1

As per usual Gews hits the nail on the head when it comes to the weaponry side of the game.

Keep up the good work Gews mate, hopefully the devs listen to you and things you have posted in multiple threads are added, either soon or towards the end of the development stage!

The scope reticle is actually an actual reticle, not bohemias lack of skill. Ive hunted with one before, and theyre actually pretty nice. At long range, the thicker reticles can sometimes blot out the target, which is why its so thin. Its more of a skill scope, having to estimate range based on your skill of range finding Instead of relying on mils.

Gews, go to google images and look up scope reticles. You may actually find one nicer, theres hundreds maybe thousands of reticle types.

I'd rather it be a mil-dot, mainly to distinguish it from planned "other" optics... like the hunting scope.

Doesn't necessarily bother me that it can't reach 15x, bothers me that 7.5x isn't really enough to make it all-the-way decent. At least, if it's supposed to be the best magnified optic in the game, they need to make it better (to say nothing of "realism").

The scope reticle is actually an actual reticle, not bohemias lack of skill. Ive hunted with one before, and theyre actually pretty nice. At long range, the thicker reticles can sometimes blot out the target, which is why its so thin. Its more of a skill scope, having to estimate range based on your skill of range finding Instead of relying on mils.

There are a bunch of reticle designs all non-standardized. Here are some figures from the manufacturers. For these Duplex-type reticles this is the space between the posts at 100 yards:

Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x Duplex = 5.4 inches (14x)

Swarovski Z6(i) 2.5-15x Plex = 5.7 inches (15x)

Swarovski Z6(i) 2.5-15x Plex USA = 7.0 inches (15x)

Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x Z-Plex = 8 inches (10x)

Minox 3-15x42 MINO-Plex = 8.5 inches (15x)

Leupold VX-1 4-12x Wide Duplex = 11.3 inches (12x)

In-game the space between the post tips measures 10 feet rather than 10 inches! :lol:

Operation Flashpoint had a #4 reticle which typically has a much wider space. However I don't think it's a very appropriate or common reticle for this type of "long range" scope.

Zeiss Victory Diavari #4 = 25.2 inches (12x)

Minox 3-15x42 #4 = 51.9 inches (15x)

uhUW4kL.png?1

Edited by Gews

There are a bunch of reticle designs all non-standardized. Here are some figures from the manufacturers. For these Duplex-type reticles this is the space between the posts at 100 yards:

Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x Duplex = 5.4 inches (14x)

Swarovski Z6(i) 2.5-15x Plex = 5.7 inches (15x)

Swarovski Z6(i) 2.5-15x Plex USA = 7.0 inches (15x)

Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x Z-Plex = 8 inches (10x)

Minox 3-15x42 MINO-Plex = 8.5 inches (15x)

Leupold VX-1 4-12x Wide Duplex = 11.3 inches (12x)

In-game the space between the post tips measures 10 feet rather than 10 inches! :lol:

Operation Flashpoint had a #4 reticle which typically has a much wider space. However I don't think it's a very appropriate or common reticle for this type of "long range" scope.

Zeiss Victory Diavari #4 = 25.2 inches (12x)

Minox 3-15x42 #4 = 51.9 inches (15x)

uhUW4kL.png?1

You missed my second poooost XD

To be honest I forgot it was called LRS. Thats reminescent of a military scope, and if theyre addin in an actual hunting scope, then Yeah, I agree With you then. They need to change it in that case. I just liked the "survivory" feeling of the current LRS

You missed my second poooost XD

To be honest I forgot it was called LRS. Thats reminescent of a military scope, and if theyre addin in an actual hunting scope, then Yeah, I agree With you then. They need to change it in that case. I just liked the "survivory" feeling of the current LRS

They have another scope in the files, I believe it will be a Zeiss Terra 3X 4-12x42.

This scope is only available comes with either their duplex or one of two ballistic reticles so it makes sense to have the duplex in that and mil dots or otherwise in the long range scope. I think that one has a space of around 6 inches @ 100 yards.

And that scope has capped turrets and it is modelled with the caps on so it shouldn't be able to be "zeroed" without going into inventory and clicking "remove caps" but that's kind of pointless.

Id like to see a Trijicon, or a schmidt and bender. But both are rather high quality. As far as the m4 scope, theres a nikon P-223 made just for it. Maybe somethin To look into.

nice suggestions but i see the problem about the field of view. you can change this setting and gain a higher zoom ingame, a lot of ppl use it. but this setting also has an impact on the scope - means: smaller field of view will change the size of your target through the scope. this does prevent using the scope for a certain rangefinding. 

i realy hope they will change this in the future because one reason that dayz is such a great game is the amount of realism in here. and something like a certain need of skill and knowledge how to use a scope propably belong definitely to this in my opinion. 

do me a favor devs and stay on this realistic type of gameplay, make some changes here. maybe that the field of view does not impact the scope so you can learn how to handle your scope the correct way.