diuwhysoserious

Counteracting server hoppers

An issue happen every moment across everywhere.

Reason of that is multiple servers with multiple unsync restart timer, in turns resulting discrepancy of loots (in quality and quantity) among all servers.
Hopping the servers is not a wrongful act at all, people have their own way to play.
Shifting the focus point back to developers, is there any way to do the loot in a better or even different manner?

I'm not saying about like banning server hoppers from scrutinising the server logs BUT more importantly, revolutionising the in-game mechanics.

I see the point of creating multiple servers as it is limited by its very nature of the game engine (not allowing up to hundreds - thousands, thus no global server).
And I'm not the guy who could give very constructive ideas to revolutionise it, but I think may be it's time to re-think about hosting multiple servers vs a single global server with completely redesigned looting mechanics as a way to exterminate server hopping activities (simply because I don't think this is a good way to get loots).

Adding a greater variety of gears, more spots to spawn loots won't help as server hoppers always find a way to be fully equipped.
Standalone, to me, is like tailor-made for the idea. 
As it is still in "early" access, and with its nature of being a SA, opportunities about taking great steps forward should be taken before it's too late to do so.

Any ideas guys :)?

in this way of development ppl forced to server hop for loot, unfortunetly.

i think problem will be solved when loot respawn will be implemented

only then will be no reason to hop servers  :)

• Like 1

I don't know about that. It may promote more viable gameplay but getting decked out fast will still be more efficient if you clean one place out and hop to another server.. or if you do what I do now, which is wait for hoppers and kill them.

• Like 1

It is definitely an important issue to address... and I'm sure the devs totally don't have bigger problems to solve right now :)

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Private hives only solution.

I don't know about that. It may promote more viable gameplay but getting decked out fast will still be more efficient if you clean one place out and hop to another server.. or if you do what I do now, which is wait for hoppers and kill them.

I really like this way to deal with hoppers. Just like we execute criminals in real world. Killing them poses deterrence to this action which is kind of intolerable in some sense.

They had implemented some kind of solution with those huge server switch times but for some reason they toned it down :(. The only real fix are private hives of course - but those eat way more resources (one hive per server).

In the end its also true that there are bigger issues - after all its Alpha (aka "early testing") where balance is not a major concern yet (that would be Beta/Final). You can even use server hopping for testing purposes so maybe it won't be fixed until Alpha phase is over.

They had implemented some kind of solution with those huge server switch times but for some reason they toned it down :(. The only real fix are private hives of course - but those eat way more resources (one hive per server).

In the end its also true that there are bigger issues - after all its Alpha (aka "early testing") where balance is not a major concern yet (that would be Beta/Final). You can even use server hopping for testing purposes so maybe it won't be fixed until Alpha phase is over.

Most of the time those who were legitimately interested and testing features would probably be unphased by the long times, as most people I know actually take their time to look for the new stuff rather than look through one building and then give up and hop to the next server.

I would have no problem to go with one character for one server. Or you change server = you will spawn at default position on the map kind of solution, but improved.

Private hives only solution.

Ive been wondering about that. (noob question incomming!!)

IS a single server that is the only serrver you have that caracter on, like most dayz epoch servers considered a private hive? why is it called a "hive" and not simply a  "server"

I understand if 10 private servers use the same "caracter save" like it is now on standalone, but why "hive" when its a single server?

When respawn is implemented I hope they create a system like minecraft, when server only creates loot the very first time it is launched and from then on it will just respawn and recycle loot based on some mathematical algorithm, regardless of the server being restarted or not.

Same goes for drops and corpses, instead of disappearing on server restart they should have a timer (24h or so, maybe automanipulated depending on server CPU usage) and disappear after that time, regardless if the server is restarted or not in the middle of that timer.

This would avoid servers restarting on every hour for easymode/happyloot game along with lessening the server hopping problem.

change server = random Spawnpoint.

make it risky!

This would essentially turn on teleport mode ingame.

Edited by p4triot
  • Like 1

Agreed.  On the big servers, most of the high quality loot areas get picked clean fairly quickly.

There are legitimate reasons to server hop sometimes : kick = join servers, cheaters, accidentally joining a nighttime server, getting bugged/glitched into walls, etc. 

Actually....really the best way to deal with server hoppers is to have them get a random as *&^% spawn when they bounce  from one server to the next. Issue with that is people link up they don't want to spend hours linking up again right? well have a way to "group up",such as an actual clan tag whether be a way to accept and invite and see a little mark over their head or their ingame name (nothing too big bc obviously that can get hinky during firefights obscuring looking past the person) and in the event they hop to another server they all spawn together, or even better and to keep from being killed as a group have them spawn 50 or so meters away from each other. I'm not a developer but I can't see why that couldn't be implemented. Now to keep people from "spawn camping" have some type of random generator that works within designated areas. The maps pretty big even if you take away all areas w/ buildings. These non developed areas could just be broken into different sectors and when people spawn theres a percent chance they get spawned there and within there there's relatively 1000s of sub spawns within the sector.It'd make camping a lot harder.... I don't know game development though soooooooo this is probably far fetched or stupid, or just something most people think is dumb. I think it's a great idea. Just, unlike other games that do something similar, should be done right and not half-assed.

Edit: and the clan tag could be permanent, or say something that you set up clicking a "server hopping" option where the person sends the invites, and than server hops and that drags the players out of that server into the one the "leader" chose, or as I'm sure that could create HUGE issues as well as "what ifs" a permanent clan tag + agreement in a prior server option would probably work best. That would keep clans of 40 from joining each others games and linking up with each other during a firefight, or just make sure the "linking up" option is only able to be done when server hopping with said group.

Edited by ASMS_Leader

I server hop alot, but not to get loot but I play at different hours of day. I have to switch servers alot to find servers with more players, hate to play on empty servers. Since I play in hardcore mode and like to play at night good servers with more players is hard to find....so not everyones doing it for the loot..

Private hives isnt gonna help on the issue either because it doesn prevent people playing on it, to jump on when the server isnt that full, just to loot up to a KOS fest later on. We just have to live with that some people play fair and others not.

change server = random Spawnpoint.

make it risky!

Sounds like free teleport to me.

They should have the body spawn in while the spawn timer is counting down. That will take care of some server hopping or at least make it more dangerous.

I think if you logged out in a city or town then you should spawn at certain radius out of it. That way you can still spawn near the area you were in for legitimate players but for those who server hop they can no longer spawn where ever they want.