WildGunsTomcat

The New Zombie Count is AWESOME

I think we need to be rational. I do agree that after the previous patch' date=' more zombies were needed, but I think with the current behaviour, speed, respawn rate and amount of loot available, something needs to eventually be tweaked. Having to make one shot because a zombie respawned to quickly or spawned infront of you as you spawned, should not mean insta-death because you just alerted 50+ zombies.

My friend was talking about it and said he wouldn't mind like randomly occurring 'blood moon' events where for a period there were a large amount of zombies, or alternatively, random surges in particular areas or towns (I know this might be unrealistic or difficult with scripting, im just throwing stuff out there)

[/quote']

That would be AWEEEEEEEEEEEESOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEE...

I love the blood moon idea.

Stop comparing this video game mod to non-existent real life zombie apocalypse.

Once you do that, it might help some of you understand why the rest of us are getting bored by having to sneak around for an hour in a town to get a can of beans.

If there was a zombie apocolyse IN REAL LIFE I would drive an ice cream truck to Bob Barkers house and wear his underwear as a hat as I shot children from the back of my truck. Thats just me though.

EDIT: And why does everyone have to be so sensitive all the time? I'm not sorry at all if I hurt your feelings. Grow up and take the criticism, and if it gets too much, ignore me or attempt to put me in my place. I won't be offended.

That same kind of logic goes both ways. Why not be more diplomatic when posting on open forums? Rudeness does not equal strength.

But thats just me.

I like the crazy amounts in cities but the small settlement areas shouldn't have so many.

Maybe scaling them down a bit would help with certain areas, i mean i get that the occasional small town might have a high number, but not all places should have 50 zombies in them. Maybe make the cities filled with them and give each small settlement a percentage to have a drastically increased amount at random.

Or any military places could be absolutely filled since survivors would want to try to get military protection

@bacon55

I can see what you mean by wanting objectives but this is a sandbox game you seem to want a way to win the game? a dot on your screen telling you what to kill and where you should go? This isn't that kind of game. I dont know what people like you came in here expecting but when i heard ARMA 2 plus zombie survival sandbox I knew to expect exactly what you and others like you are complaining about. I think some of your problems will go away with further tweaking but i would not expect any concrete goal provided by the game other than staying alive. the point of a sandbox is to make your own goals not have the game hold you by the hand and tell you what to do. maybe this isnt the game you were expecting' date=' or maybe you got caught up in some of the excellent write ups on popular gaming sites and didn't give a thought to what kind of game this actually was but either way I think you may be barking up the wrong tree here.

[/quote']

Even sandbox games have objectives. That doesn't mean an endgame, just some hoops to jump through that are a littler higher than guns and food.

I didn't read a single write up and I've been here since the first 7 or so servers.

Simply getting gear and staying alive isn't going to keep this game going. Regardless it's already been said by Rocket that there will be objectives and missions...so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

It'll be interesting to see what form they take, for sure.

I didn't get to play with this patch yet, but my general idea of zombie amount is the following:

.) Big towns: Lots of zombies.

.) small towns: small amounts or none at all (should change places though, or variable respawn, so that sometimes they spawn but other times they don't after they get cleared out)

.) wilderness: sometimes a big wandering horde, sometimes single undead hikers, sometimes non at all.

As much as i like the zombiethreat, it is also a great athmospheric feeling, when i enter a small settlement with 5 houses, not finding any lifesign and not knowing if that means there are just no zombies, or that the town just recently got cleared out and a bandit group could still be there somewhere.

On another note, Pvp should be a part of this game...and this comes from a person who normally won't PvP if not needed.

I just watched "The Road" to get into a postapocalyptic feeling and even though there are no zombies, it shows that people can become wild animals in such a scenario too.

Groups of people turning into raiding cannibal parties for example.

Personally i would not work with others that I did not know or trust new people. That is "realistic behavior". I do not fear zeds' date=' only other survivors. In a real situation I do not think people would be happy to see each other unless they are in "NEED" of something. If not it would be either go away or die or it would be shoot on sight.

[/quote']

This isn't normal thinking.

Civilization and society is the structure built above a nature that wants to kill you just as badly as any apocalypse.

Most people desire that, and would attempt to seek out others and have social interaction, and not be lone wolves. Larger groups almost invariably have a higher chance of survival, and a more comfortable one at that.

Also, saying what's "realistic behaviour" when you haven't been in that position (no one has), is ridiculous. This isn't a simulation of reality, that's impossible without artificial constraints and rules. You aren't actually afraid of death, you don't actually have to exert yourself - you're behind a fucking desk, lol.

Not a simulation, but an exact representation of what happens when people on computers play a game which has these variables.

With that said...the zeds need improvement, there is no reason to fear them now. You should fear them, but not necessarily for the reasons we fear them now (hoards endlessly running after you). There should be more than one type of zombie too. Some creepy bloodsucker shit like off Stalker would be interesting.

I didn't get to play with this patch yet' date=' but my general idea of zombie amount is the following:

.) Big towns: Lots of zombies.

.) small towns: small amounts or none at all (should change places though, or variable respawn, so that sometimes they spawn but other times they don't after they get cleared out)

.) wilderness: sometimes a big wandering horde, sometimes single undead hikers, sometimes non at all.

As much as i like the zombiethreat, it is also a great athmospheric feeling, when i enter a small settlement with 5 houses, not finding any lifesign and not knowing if that means there are just no zombies, or that the town just recently got cleared out and a bandit group could still be there somewhere.

[/quote']

I think it's important to note zombies wouldn't last long in a wilderness. They're going to trip over roots, fall down cliffs, get eaten by animals. Some should definitely be out there, more than the couple near the deer stands.

I think increasing spawn times and lowering the current zombie count a wee bit would be a perfect compromise for the playerbase to be honest.

I think increasing spawn times and lowering the current zombie count a wee bit would be a perfect compromise for the playerbase to be honest.

The contrary.

High count of zombies but nearly no respawn if you are near something.

Everytime I go into a town with 2 enterable buildings and zombies already respawn right in my face as I exit the second I throw up a little.

I dont think its awesome. I logged in on the coast and had 20 zombies chasing me instantly. It took the game from scary and suspensful to L33t Zombie Shooter Online.

I dont think its awesome. I logged in on the coast and had 20 zombies chasing me instantly. It took the game from scary and suspensful to L33t Zombie Shooter Online.

L4D2 on expert realism also has some really challenging zombie waves :D

The desyncs are terrible and not only are the respawn rates too high, zombies will spawn right beside you. Meaning if you sneak past all the zombies to get into a looting area, a zombie will have a high chance of spawning right beside you and killing that with a non-silenced weapon will get the entire town of zombies down on your head.

I'm liking the new zombie densities as well. I can finally raid the barracks at the NW airfield, because the zombies act as a sort of buffer for groups that tend to be trigger-happy, but solo I can sneak in and out pretty easily.

I played for about 2 hours this night and what can I say, I love the new spawnrate! I actually think there is a real reason to throw tin cans and whiskey bottles now. It works like a charm. I cleared the way to the supermarket in Polana that way because I was out of ammo for my revolver and very low on SD STANAGs (~6shots left). It was pretty funny to have all the zombies in the vicinity slowly walk to one point to check out what caused the noise

I absolutely love the new zombie count, but here is the bad thing.

While I think the zombie count is awesome, I think zombies respawn rate is WAY to fast. We had a group of 5 trying to clear a town, and there was seriously no end to the zombies. We could literally watch them spawn while we were mowing them down. Before the patch, the zombie count was low, with a good respawn. I personally think, if the respawn was changed to last patch, and keep the high zombie count, it would be perfect.

It just feels like there is zero time given to search and loot after you kill all the zombies in towns. This is just my 2 cents.

Let me start by saying I think this game should not be made easy in any way for any player. I view this game as a survival sandbox and hold it much in the same respect as I do EVE Online's "do-what-you-need-to" attitude.

Upon logging after the update was published, I was greeted with higher zombie counts and creepy zombie sounds and faces. This game has become far scarier to me than Amnesia ever was. My problem, though, lies within the risk and reward factor of the small towns.

I went to a small town north of Balota after getting sniped at the NW airfield, losing my beloved winchester and all of my utility items to tell me where I was. I saw a zombie within this small town and figured I'd fire a round to take him out. What I didn't expect was having an entire town on me with aggro that never resets. I kept running, scanning the usual spots in the town for gear as best I could, knowing that even if there was something there, there would be no way for me to grab it and get out alive. Those watching my stream (I run one as a video diary of sorts, to show what I see in this mod) for the better part of an hour saw me running with close to 50 zeds on my ass before I ended up getting stuck on something and dying a gruesome death.

Now, for 50 zeds where hit detection is sketchy and firing a round into the dome of a fast moving zombie may or may not result in his death, and with aggro that does not diminish over any distance, is it really worth all the zeds for a damn can of beans?

Before the patch I'd group up with a few of my friends, one usually would provide overwatch, I'd take point and someone would be behind me watching my back in case there was a zed I missed or a bandit somewhere. There was plenty of risk entering towns because zombies were a reasonable threat where taking them down was feasible, but you had to count your bullets and make each shot count. Now if I tried doing that, we'd all be legging it out of town, leaving the potential loot untouched. Potential loot, as in there might not be anything but tin cans and the odd can of coke there. It just seems that the zombie density is unreasonable and for the amount of damage one or two can do to one player, small groups will find themselves overwhelmed instantly upon firing on the first zed. I suggest either slowing zombies down slightly, changing their spawn patterns to a happy medium between pre and post-patch, or making their density occur in more urban environments as opposed to the small rural towns.

That's my opinion on the patch, thanks for reading.

No.

Why not?

1. Small towns zombie counts are WAY too high. I'm fine with large amounts in cities but scavenging, while being essential to surviving, is now made worthless by the amount of zombies. Be more careful and you can get in and out of a town you might say, but no:

-Zombies seem to aggro much easier now.

-The likelihood of loot is still as low as it used to be, whether that loot will even be what your looking for is even more unlikely.

2. Even when you first start off aggroing a single zombie creates a horde of 30+ to come after you NO matter the size of the town or not.

Even when you first start off aggroing a single zombie creates a horde of 30+ to come after you NO matter the size of the town or not.

Twice I spawned yesterday only to immediately have a horde of zombies descend on the spawn -_-

Also, I shot a zombie that was chasing me while standing in the middle of a fiend in the middle of nowhere and 5 zombies spawned and surrounded me...

I think the current number of zombies that spawn in is great, but the respawn time needs to be increased. New zombies spawn in the area you are looting before you can effectively clear it out unless you have a well coordinated fire team.

Yep, the new zombie numbers is great.

Last night I spent just over an hour trying to creep my way into a village to scavenge but I couldnt find a safe route through and at one point I had almost gotten surrounded by them. That was an incredibly tense moment. In the end I moved on and found better luck elsewhere. This was such a fun experience. Much more interesting and challenging than before.

Bit of a game breaker imho.

I played for about 7 hours yesterday with a budy.

It has become near imposible to make any decent progress.

I'm sure that some people like the increase in the Zombie count but to this extent the game is not playing out the way it should be.

Anyhow, this was not intended and don't get me wrong the previous build had problems with the Z spawns, so it did seem a little too easy but the way things are with the current build it will put people off from playing the game and that is a no no.

It would be cool if the Z spawn count was a server side setting but that would make the game a bot vs player DM game and nothing more.

I will be playing again today so if you don't agree with my thoughts, come and shoot me, I promise I will not rage quit :ô/\ô:

Thanks.

The new level has added more tension IMO, especially in Chernarus. I stocked up on supplies and found a hiding spot well away from zeds and bandits, so I made multiple runs to get resources. After getting literally everything I could out of centre of cherno, I was on top of a tower offering covering fire for anyone entering chernarus from the east/north areas.

After killing a few zeds to clear the way for 2 survivors, I looked down at the bottom of the factory/tower I was on, only to see about 20 zeds waiting for me. I was well and truly stuck up that tower...