bauertschi

Are snipers the most harmless thing in DayZ?

I've been trying to learn to snipe some. Have learned one area well enough to have about a dozen spots around it with various vantage points ~700-800 out. First I learned to know your spots, and then move after firing a bit. People WILL come look for you. If you see a guy running around in the open who looks like he is trying to draw shots, he probably is. He probably a buddy who is trying to figure out where you are by sound. Its actually amazing how many people wander around out in spots that far away too, have been snuck up on a few times and hunted down other snipers who started firing from near my position as well. Fire sparingly, then move. Once you have your distances practiced, you can start getting kills. Its pretty thrilling watching a target drop on the first shot, and know he may not have even heard the shot. Spent alot of ammo in the beginning of learning lol

• Like 2

People WILL come look for you. If you see a guy running around in the open who looks like he is trying to draw shots, he probably is. He probably a buddy who is trying to figure out where you are by sound.

I had that happen over the weekend. I was on that little perch Northeast of Cherno and I picked off two zeds, at range... I think I took about 5 shots. A few minutes later I see a dude running around right out in the open like he was searching for something. My paranoia led me to believe that he was trying to get me to shoot at him.

I had that happen over the weekend. I was on that little perch Northeast of Cherno and I picked off two zeds, at range... I think I took about 5 shots. A few minutes later I see a dude running around right out in the open like he was searching for something. My paranoia led me to believe that he was trying to get me to shoot at him.

It's not paranoia if they are really out there to get you ;)

I mostly hunt serverhoppers in empty, low-pop servers.

Sniping and camping is the only thing I currently do in DayZ because bored with berezino deathmatch. Just because you didn't die from a sniper means you don't travel at all. I never camp Berezino for example and I never camped Elektro. I always go to places where losing gear means you can not spawn 100 meters away and run back to your stuff. I snipe in such place where death is permanent in its true sense and I like pissing off 3pp shitters who carry m4, KOS mask and big ass mountain backpacks full of useless junk (I snipe in hardcore too, just not as much).

And I almost never use so called "sniper hills" or well known spots like Olsha hill in NEAF. I like to be relatively safe and don't want to spawn next to another sniper (only happened once or twice, both times survived, because I am badass). So I go to a place where people do not expect to be shot from. And sniping is not sniping if it is less than 600 meters. It just isn't. LRS is there for a reason. To stay away from a target as far as possible so that he wouldn't even realize where the shots came from.

I used to camp Balota baracks and ATC tower (I used two last 12 story commieblocks). But most kills where serverhoppers who entered or left baracks. 800 meters. I liked when they dropped from a first shot. People rarely went to ATC tower, and it is harder to hit a person because thanks to DayZ sometimes your bullet gets stuck in a window or somewhere else.

I used to camp NEAF too. But I sniped in a very specific sniping spot that I never saw anyone using, and it was very safe, no one could walk from behind me. But after new city became too popular, I had to ditch it. Distance was 700-880 meters. Have pretty insane kills and missed many people too because they were smart enough not to run with their weapons in hands

I camped new town (Chornaja Polana) for a week or two. Got very nice kills. 800 distance. Safest spot ever, debug plains were only 600 meters away lol.

I camped Chepaevsk and Chernogorsk, but exclusively for counter-sniping. I liked the idea and decided to try it. Very low payoff. I log in, don't see another player for a two-three minutes and switched servers.

I don't consider myself good sniper by all means, but I can safely now guess the distance without the use of the map, and since I only hunt people from long ranges, not pussy mode 200 meters like in those youtube videos, I only zero between 600 and 800. However, I don't know much about people like me who hunt specifically serverhoppers. So if you are in a hotspot and see my nickname in a playerlist, better log off, because I could be hiding 800 meters away waiting for you to stop to axe a zombie thinking what could go wrong, right? 51mm to your head, that's why.

By the way, all those kills were stationary targets (decided to eat, log out or axe a zombie in a middle of airstrips or plainly just stand for no reason). I never learned to snipe moving people and it is impossible to do that because of the way how dayz is optimized (or not optimized). Desync, lag, rubberbanding. Hitting a moving target at 800 is insane. I only saw people who killed at 200meters and those were fat american kids wanabe snipers.

I love the tears of people who complain about campers. They are probably same people who complained that terrorists didn't rush CT in cs_assault maps.

Edited by MaxRain

I fear snipers sometimes because I am one and I know how dangerous they can be sometimes.

Sometimes.  The original poster is right, they are mostly harmless.  With the ranges that they are firing the only time they can get a player is when that player stands still.  If one is over watching a village from a good position and they can see players moving through, there are times when they get that perfect opportunity.  SImilarly, if a couple players are talking in the street, that gives them a chance.  But 9/10 times the bullet wings off something nearby, everyone goes all serpentine, and the sniper gets to sit in his bush pouting for another hour or so.

• Like 1

My first rule of thumb is to be hidden. I usualy have bushes behind me while being almost inside another.

I do this so the only view people can see me is from the front.

If anyone looks my way i`ll just look like part of the plant.

Use 3D person to hide the barrel of your gun so it looks like a branch from the side.

Never do sudden moves. It makes you stick out from the background.

If you have to move ,do it slowly.

Dont make any noise whatsoever.

If you have to reload/eat/drink. Go inside a nearby bush so people cant see the animation from far away.

I have propably seen a hundred people move past my position and i didn`t fire.

Simply because the risk is to big.

This is after all a survival game. lol

Most snipers I come across just plug people when they stop moving to loot the ATC towers. Moving targets or anything trying not to get sniped is beyond their capabilities even under 300 meters

snipers are literally the only thing im scared of

getting shot at by a mozin and not knowing 100% where he is, and if your actually taking cover or are completely visible is scurry