Sign in to follow this  
Raoul9753

Death timer

This is going to get many negative reactions, especialy from bang bang CoD kids I am sure, but I was thinking how to make death a bit more of a threat.

Since we cant give everyone one life only, the next best option would be a deathtimer.

Lets say you get shot, killed by a Zombie or drop to your dead, meaning your life ends by any means, You get a 10 minute timer before you can respawn.

I know it sounds harsh, but it would stop fresh spawned players from just Rambo attack full geared players because "I have nothing to lose anyway" (and dont tell me that doesnt happen, I cant count how often a Bambie on the coast just jumped me while I had a freaking gun pulled out...) and even full geared players from just Rabo around because "I will just recover my stuff when I die..."

10 minutes Death timer and a 10 minute timer until a dead Body despawns.

No more "I am too far from Airfield, I will just kill myself"; "I attack this geared player, best case Scenario I get his stuff, worst case I spawn a second later", "Our group attack, when we win we cam the corpses and everyone just gets their stuff back.

Edited by Raoul9753
  • Like 9

Yeah I saw your post, but it goes in a different direction from what I want.

My focus is not on "Dont loot own body" its overall making death punishing.

If you could just log on another Server, its basicly the same "I have nothing to lose" problem whehn you play alone.

Sill, you get my beans cause the idea isnt bad either. Its just not what I wish for in this thread^^

The whole problem could be fixed by forcing people onto new servers when they die. People would still be a little trigger-happy, as there wouldn't be a timer to stop instant respawn, but it would stop the self-looting.

I hate and like your idea... I want to re-spawn and play with my friends right away. but re-spawning and running for your gear again is quite stupid and unrealistic. considering all spawns have been moved to Berezino this is quite easy to do. So a timer would not fix this problem in the best way. 

People can "hide" bodies (they're not hidden but you can access any of the items though) which is good. but not many people do that for some reason. locking items away from the player can also be worked around by a friend picking up the items from the body and then handing it over to you. 

And i would never want to be forced out of a server since I've found one that never lags for me (which is rare). 

Fair enough, servers can be a bit temperamental

Why is everyone talking about looting?

I dont think you get what I want, I want to make death punishing.

Yes, you DONT WANT to wait 10 minutes before you can play again.

Thats because you DONT WANT to die. Because death means 10 minutes forced time out!

• Like 1

Why is everyone talking about looting?

I dont think you get what I want, I want to make death punishing.

Yes, you DONT WANT to wait 10 minutes before you can play again.

Thats because you DONT WANT to die. Because death means 10 minutes forced time out!

Their responses apply to the same reasoning; they're stating that they do not like having to wait 10 minutes in order to play with their friends again, but it would help alleviate the issue of running back to your corpse (whether that was intended as part of your concept or not, it is a positive of the idea).

I honestly can't support something like this because there is hardly any reason a well-geared player would need to go to the coast unless they were in some dire need of supplies or just wanted to go kill/bandit up fresh spawns. Either way, it should come at a risk for both, because the coast is supposed to be dangerous; you're unlikely to go into any town on the coast where people spawn without finding someone. All of the supplies you could need can be found well outside of the spawning zone (Balota, NWAF, Zelenogorsk) so if you feel the need to go back to the spawn areas and are somehow unable to defend yourself properly then I think the fresh spawn deserves the gear.

It's definitely an issue that people don't care about their lives, but I doubt it's something that respawn timers or perma-death can solve.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

It's definitely an issue that people don't care about their lives, but I doubt it's something that respawn timers or perma-death can solve.

True but thats not the point. The point is to make death a setback instead of minor nuisance or even an advantage. Getting killed should never every be beneficial to you but right now its:

- Bambi spawns but finds herself in a bad area (no loot, far from friends) - suicides to spawn in a better place

- Bambi spots geared player - attacks with fist because of positive expected gain (she wins - she gets loot, she dies - she only has to respawn)

Having to wait for 10min is not really that hard - chat with your friends, clean your desk, go to the toilet or eat something. Its not to annoy players (players also get annoyed by others respawning way too fast) but to make getting killed a bad deal.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that I'm not actually against this idea. However, as with all features such as this, I think it should be configurable by the server. If people want to join servers with instant respawn then that's fine by me. If others would prefer a 10 minute wait then that's an option they should have.

Personally I'd be happy with a 10 minute wait. I'm usually pretty pissed when I die, so having 10 minutes to go downstairs and make a cup of tea or something before I respawn would be fine by me. I've never been ganked by fresh spawns but it sounds pretty stupid and immersion-breaking.

I'm surprised that I'm not actually against this idea. However, as with all features such as this, I think it should be configurable by the server. If people want to join servers with instant respawn then that's fine by me. If others would prefer a 10 minute wait then that's an option they should have.

Personally I'd be happy with a 10 minute wait. I'm usually pretty pissed when I die, so having 10 minutes to go downstairs and make a cup of tea or something before I respawn would be fine by me. I've never been ganked by fresh spawns but it sounds pretty stupid and immersion-breaking.

It happened to me at least 5 times...

The last time I was so pissed I jucks knocked him out and he had the nerfs to ask "Could you just kill me? This spawn sucks, its so far from good loot"...

So I broke his leg, bandaged him so he didnt bleed to death, force fed and drink him so he dont starve and left him crippled in the "bad spawn".

Just in my defense: I didnt kill him!

Edited by Raoul9753
  • Like 1

Lets say you get shot, killed by a Zombie or drop to your dead, meaning your life ends by any means, You get a 10 minute timer before you can respawn.

I know it sounds harsh, but it would stop fresh spawned players from just Rambo attack full geared players because "I have nothing to lose anyway"

Damn well is harsh because what if you get killed by some asshole camping in a building when you're just trying to survive?

You act like every Bambi is a crazy person and that not almost everyone else is a douchebag.

I don't see why bandits should be rewarded for being assholes and killing everyone then having a territory to themselves, that's not what the game is supposed to be about.

If anything being able to run back and mess with your attackers is a good thing because maybe they'll think twice next time, they deserve to be attacked for killing you for no reason.

I think if anything a death timer should be that long depending on what weapons you and the other guy had, if you had an M4, pistol and fire axe and they had a frying pan then they should get like a 2 minute death timer, because you're the douche killing someone who can barely defend themselves.

People who have equal weapons get a 5-10 minute death timer.

People who had loads of weapons but still got killed by dude with frying pan, 10 minute death timer for both sucking and possibly being a bandit who got his just desserts.

• Like 1

Damn well is harsh because what if you get killed by some asshole camping in a building when you're just trying to survive?

Should have scouted the area before blindly running in the city...

I hate and like your idea... I want to re-spawn and play with my friends right away. but re-spawning and running for your gear again is quite stupid and unrealistic. considering all spawns have been moved to Berezino this is quite easy to do. So a timer would not fix this problem in the best way. 

People can "hide" bodies (they're not hidden but you can access any of the items though) which is good. but not many people do that for some reason. locking items away from the player can also be worked around by a friend picking up the items from the body and then handing it over to you. 

And i would never want to be forced out of a server since I've found one that never lags for me (which is rare). 

For team play, how about having you carry your team mate to a spawn point so he can come back, or to a hospital to revive and respawn? Allow 'fireman's carry' for a body, and you have to carry your buddy to the coast to respawn, but you can't sprint. 

Should have scouted the area before blindly running in the city...

And you do this when people can lay on the floor of a building and look out the window in third person, how?

Or if they're on rooftops, if you can see them with the naked eye zoom it's a miracle that they haven't shot you already.

There are far too many places to hide to make "scouting" any kind of a solution when you have no scope or anything like that.

More like assholes shouldn't camp and kill everyone because it's not a war game, why should they be rewarded for being dickbags?

People too chicken to go to an airfield and fight people who can shoot back shouldn't be able to sit and keep a whole city to themselves.

• Like 1

And you do this when people can lay on the floor of a building and look out the window in third person, how?

Play on a hardcore server. Because thats exactly why hardcore is more fun.

• Like 1

Or if they're on rooftops, if you can see them with the naked eye zoom it's a miracle that they haven't shot you already.

There are far too many places to hide to make "scouting" any kind of a solution when you have no scope or anything like that.

More like assholes shouldn't camp and kill everyone because it's not a war game, why should they be rewarded for being dickbags?

People too chicken to go to an airfield and fight people who can shoot back shouldn't be able to sit and keep a whole city to themselves.

Maybe you should play "My little pony online"!

Or this game from SoE... whats it called Z1D1? I heard it has PvE server...

Maybe you should play "My little pony online"!

Or this game from SoE... whats it called Z1D1? I heard it has PvE server...

Hey, I'm not the one getting his ass kicked by bambi's.

Maybe you should man up instead of whining and asking them to make the game easier for you :P

No, that would be annoying nobody wants to wait that long. Better geared player would be able to spawncamp even easier if nogears would not attack them. 

• Like 1

No, that would be annoying nobody wants to wait that long.

So... people would actually have a reason to avoid dying? Sounds exactly like what I want.

I want something people dont like, cause you SHOULD NOT like dying!

While this idea works in theory, what about all those assholes who just snipe people who just spawned?  Imagine just spawning, dying, 10 minutes later spawning, dying in a minute, etc.  I say no.

While this idea works in theory, what about all those assholes who just snipe people who just spawned?  Imagine just spawning, dying, 10 minutes later spawning, dying in a minute, etc.  I say no.

I play for... let me see... nearly 120 hours and Ive not once got sniped at spawn. So I guess the game will survive it...

I know it sounds harsh, but it would stop fresh spawned players from just Rambo attack full geared players because "I have nothing to lose anyway" (and dont tell me that doesnt happen, I cant count how often a Bambie on the coast just jumped me while I had a freaking gun pulled out...) and even full geared players from just Rabo around because "I will just recover my stuff when I die..."

Why on earth you were camping at coast close by spawn point unless you are most probably a spawn camper and trying to kill fresh spawns. I've played DayZ SA over 700 hours and not even single bambi or fresh spawn could have managed to kill me or my friends whom got gear.  

You just want death timer , just because you want to kill fresh spawns and avoid them overrun at your spot again.  So you can easily camp.  

There is no way you can easily recover your gear if you play legit way and not a lame way camping at coast.  We had firefights  against fully geared teams and for us and  them were always hard to recover the gear of fallen due to ongoing fight till wipe eachother.

Only fresh spawn campers or bambi campers travels or camp at coast where people spawn.

Edited by =1PARA=Prime=C.O=