energeticsheep

Vehicle Discussion

Hey guys, I thought I'd make a topic about the future of DayZ, more specifically; 'Vehicles'.

Now, I know these won't be released for another year or so just yet, but I'm just curious as to what you guys would like to see within the vehicular aspect of the game.

Personally, I would like to see the ability to mount a Backpack to the front or back of an ATV to carry storage, rather than fitting it randomly in the engine or fuel pipes like in DayZ Mod. Similarly, I would also like to see the ability to mount backpacks to Bicycles (However you should be unable to mount Mountain Backpacks on Bicycles for obvious reasons. The same applies for motorcycles if they make their way into DayZ SA too.

Basically, this topic was made for you guys to discuss what sort of aspects would you like to see concerning vehicles. An example is obviously as shown above.

Discuss ;D 

Edited by EnergeticSheep

A YEAR.. are you fkn kidding me ?

If that's the case then Dead you need to get something in ASAP as a place holder so people can travel around faster while you work on the proper implementation, god having no vehicles of any type is one of the major things its missing at the moment.

I'm sure Bicycles might be out before the end of this year, but I was implying that vehicles like an Off-Road would most likely be out by next year.

I just want a bit more than a few GAZ and other russian vehicles this time around. I'd like to see less PoS cars

I think vehicles need to come out sooner rather than later.  Walking around the entire map is getting a bit tiresome.  I'm betting that's why people stay on the coast so much; if you walk 10 minutes inland your chances of seeing other players drops fast.

Vehicles are unimportant really.

Most of the games travel should be done by foot.

Even when the game is completed.

• Like 6

I'd just like to see predominantly civilian class vehicles, unarmoured. Possibly the option to add improvised armour would be interesting. I'm interested in a post-apocalyptic game, not what amounts to a civil war + zombies where players look to either raid military installations or buy arms etc. from gun runners. I don't think bicycles etc. need additional storage because unless they don't plan to implement larger vehicles, there will be little need for cars since people looking to stock their bases will use bikes & spare backpacks since they will be fast enough to get around the map, silent, and harder to spot/tail than a car or truck.

• Like 2

i dont even want to see bicycles they just look wrong i think, anyway civ cars with improvised armour would be cool, i think id like to see that, and off road motorcycles, maybe some kind of off road vehicle maybe military jeep, wouldnt mind helis or a disabled but semi functional apc/tank.

and large boats with a deck, even small or dingy boats if thats all that would be possible,

As long as vehicle physics are fixed, they might as well be as the same as they were in the mod tbh. Upgrading cars with scrap metal for home made armour plating would be pretty awesome however.

Also, why do you people keep on making posts in custom colours? They're literally unreadable for anyone browsing on their phones, and they're not easier to read than the default grey either...

Ye.....no. Running simulator is boring.

Yea and having cars and helicopters and everything available and easily fueled is not realistic.

Where would the gas come from, who would be drilling for oil and refining the oil to keep the pumps full ?

Where would this endless supply of car parts and gasoline come from ?

People have walked for thousands of years they work perfectly fine as a form of transportation.

But this isn't meant to be a fast paced action game. You're meant to go through periods of sometimes hours without seeing anybody. That's what makes player interactions so good in this game... If everyone has a heli then nobody would interact.

You should have started with: "Hey guys, I thought I'd make a topic without bothering to use the search function and post a thread identical to dozens of others..."

Vehicles should be a luxury, a luxury that's the result of the expenditure of time/resources/risk.

For the most part, we should be walking. The frequency of use, in vehicles, should be somewhere below that of the mod.

Overall, they need to be much rarer in the first place. And once they're found, they should require SPECIFIC repair parts/actions (i.e. no generic "tires" fitting on everything from a Ural to a bicycle).

As for modifications, I think there are two areas that need to be looked into. One, is weaponry. The other is retrofitted armor.

• Like 3

Yea and having cars and helicopters and everything available and easily fueled is not realistic.

Where would the gas come from, who would be drilling for oil and refining the oil to keep the pumps full ?

Where would this endless supply of car parts and gasoline come from ?

People have walked for thousands of years they work perfectly fine as a form of transportation.

It's a game, it can't be realistic unless massive loads of extremely intricate work is done on it, and thats not going to happen, no game is even close to realistic yet.

For example, a realistic dayz, you would walk almost all the time. Slowly too. No one runs and jogs everywhere in real life, and no way in a dangerous place like dayz. I could go on, just imagine real life, I don't need to explain that to you. A game needs to be based on reality, but with exceptions in order for it to be fun. Running around a dead landscape where nothing happens and you can't interact with the environment is pretty boring. 

Vehicles should be a luxury, a luxury that's the result of the expenditure of time/resources/risk.

For the most part, we should be walking. The frequency of use, in vehicles, should be somewhere below that of the mod.

Overall, they need to be much rarer in the first place. And once they're found, they should require SPECIFIC repair parts/actions (i.e. no generic "tires" fitting on everything from a Ural to a bicycle).

As for modifications, I think there are two areas that need to be looked into. One, is weaponry. The other is retrofitted armor.

Hope you enjoy after all that work, logging in only to find your car has been stolen. You won't want to leave it.

It's a game, it can't be realistic unless massive loads of extremely intricate work is done on it, and thats not going to happen, no game is even close to realistic yet.

For example, a realistic dayz, you would walk almost all the time. Slowly too. No one runs and jogs everywhere in real life, and no way in a dangerous place like dayz. I could go on, just imagine real life, I don't need to explain that to you. A game needs to be based on reality, but with exceptions in order for it to be fun. Running around a dead landscape where nothing happens and you can't interact with the environment is pretty boring. 

They're adding new ways of interacting with the environment tbh, and making vehicles too easy to obtain and maintain will simply devalue them. You gotta remember that the map isn't exactly massive, especially if you know it.

Hope you enjoy after all that work, logging in only to find your car has been stolen. You won't want to leave it.

That's the point though. Cars and camps are fair game. You can't simply have a car like your personal mount in WoW lol. You have to hide it somewhere where you think it won't be found and then pray that nobody stumbles upon it.

You should have started with: "Hey guys, I thought I'd make a topic without bothering to use the search function and post a thread identical to dozens of others..."

In fact, I did use the search function. I found dead topics which noone had replied to for quite some time and lots of moaning on "oh but it's alpha *cry*" 

Please give me auto-run so I don't feel like im coming home to log onto a video game to hold the W key for several hours without alt tabbing

Hey guys, I thought I'd make a topic about the future of DayZ, more specifically; 'Vehicles'.

Now, I know these won't be released for another year or so just yet, but I'm just curious as to what you guys would like to see within the vehicular aspect of the game.

Personally, I would like to see the ability to mount a Backpack to the front or back of an ATV to carry storage, rather than fitting it randomly in the engine or fuel pipes like in DayZ Mod. Similarly, I would also like to see the ability to mount backpacks to Bicycles (However you should be unable to mount Mountain Backpacks on Bicycles for obvious reasons. The same applies for motorcycles if they make their way into DayZ SA too.

Basically, this topic was made for you guys to discuss what sort of aspects would you like to see concerning vehicles. An example is obviously as shown above.

Discuss ;D 

Q4 will be occurring this summer the time where SIMPLE vehicles would have already been implemented and they would be working on complex ones.

That's the point though. Cars and camps are fair game. You can't simply have a car like your personal mount in WoW lol. You have to hide it somewhere where you think it won't be found and then pray that nobody stumbles upon it.

I agree. If you really don't want to lose your car, you'll most likely try your hardest to conceal it.

It's a video game, stop trying to turn it into an ULTRA realistic game were you have to manually fucking blink your eyes and dig for oil just to keep a car in maintenance. Vehicles are the best thing to happen to a player in Dayz, it's not a fun experience running 10k so don't even dare try and say it is.

Yep! That's part of the risk that we all have to live with in a game where vehicles are persistent.

Camouflage netting and lockable structures would work wonders in adding a layer of protection. Not to mention the always fun game of hiding your vehicle anyhow.

• Like 1

Q4 will be occurring this summer the time where SIMPLE vehicles would have already been implemented and they would be working on complex ones.

DayZ Standalone Development, as you surely know, has been fairly slow. I'm not trying to degrade the developers because I'm sure they want to perfect everything to give us the best experience, but that means that the concept of vehicles will surely be pushed back to the back end of this year or the start of next year.