CANUCKinNZ

Any News on Global Chat?

Global chat would take so much away from the SA now
think of the metagaming (even tho thats teamspeaks job)
I'm happy with direct although I'd love a admin contact chat, more or less the same as direct except every admin online will get the message.
Would help a'lot in regards to hackers and wall glitchers

i turn it on everytime i Play.

and message text from time to time while playing! 

i m in cherno most of the time, would love to find another walkie talkie dude!

Me too, but I have never made contact with anyone. What is the range of these things and why doesn't anybody use them? One time I made broadcast for hours but no one picked up and answered me..I have started to think maybe they don't work....

Yeah so you wanna force others play the way you want and I wanna force you to play the way I want this game to be played, what's the difference?. Im voicing my opinion for players who want realism, you want more unrealistic ways to cummunicate, fair enough...We already have teamspeak for that...

We all know that the minute we give admins the right to turn on sidechat, all servers will have it, just like in the mod.....

I don't want to force anything, I want people to be given the choice. Not that this isn't, like, the 5th time I've specifically said it.

I don't want to force anything, I want people to be given the choice. Not that this isn't, like, the 5th time I've specifically said it.

Choice is sometimes good, but in this chase not!! Because if you give the admins the option, we all know every server will have it turned on and then we who don't want it are forced to have it just like in the mod. So no matter how you look at it, your suggestion force us to play the way you want, just as not having it force you to play the way we want...

Edited by Kaboki

Why? Of course it is... people don't like X for Y reasons.

*snip*

*sigh* okay - attempt no. 6: some people like it, some people don't. I fully and completely understand this to be the case. What the OP is suggesting, what I'm agreeing with and what this thread is about is about having the flexibility for both groups to have what they want. I don't need to hear your reasons for not liking it, you don't need to hear mine, it's about finding a middle ground that suits all parties. Isn't that the best way to deal with all these kinds of issues? By being adult about it, accepting that different people have different ideas and trying to find the most inclusive solution?

Edited by theirongiant74

Choice is sometimes good, but in this chase not!! Because if you give the admins the option, we all know every server will have it turned on and then we who don't want it are forced to have it just like in the mod. So no matter how you look at it, your suggestion force us to play the way you want, just as not having it force you to play the way we want...

OP suggestion was for both admin and client options, so even if you're on a server with it globally switched on, you can personally switch it off. Even if that's not good enough for you, by a straw poll of this thread enough people agree with you that you'd expect those numbers to be mirrored by server owners so I think you're being overly pessimistic. Also I don't think there was an option to switch it of on the mod, I may be wrong though.

Can't we all just get along :)

Edited by theirongiant74

it's about finding a middle ground that suits all parties.

What fucking middle ground? Ther is no middle ground, either the admins get the option to turn it on or they don't. And when they get the option we all know that every server will have it, just like in the mod, where it was a serverside option...

Isn't that the best way to deal with all these kinds of issues? By being adult about it, accepting that different people have different ideas and trying to find the most inclusive solution?

Yeah, you're so grown up, and all others that disagree with you are just childish, seriously?

*sigh* okay - attempt no. 6: some people like it, some people don't. I fully and completely understand this to be the case. What the OP is suggesting, what I'm agreeing with and what this thread is about is about having the flexibility for both groups to have what they want. I don't need to hear your reasons for not liking it, you don't need to hear mine, it's about finding a middle ground that suits all parties. Isn't that the best way to deal with all these kinds of issues? By being adult about it, accepting that different people have different ideas and trying to find the most inclusive solution?

Not necessarily. I don't like sidechat, therefore, I advocate against it. I don't want it in the game, therefore, I state as such.

I'm not saying you can't make an argument for it, but I'm making an argument AGAINST it for reasons as stated.

The solution is having it be the result of an in-game looted item (i.e. a walkie talkie/radio/whatever).

Simply because something is popular doesn't mean it's beneficial, hence why my critiques of sidechat in the past have been leveled at how it affects gameplay. Not whether you or I like it or not.

Edited by Katana67

OP suggestion was for both admin and client options, so even if you're on a server with it globally switched on, you can personally switch it off. Even if that's not good enough for you, by a straw poll of this thread enough people agree with you that you'd expect those numbers to be mirrored by server owners so I think you're being overly pessimistic.

If people can be warned about me doing banditry in cherno or somthing, it would affect me even if I turned it off on my client options.. And im not pessimistic, just realistic, go look at the mod and tell me how many servers you find with global switched off...

Also I don't think there was an option to switch it of on the mod, I may be wrong though.

Yes it is a serverside option in the mod and 1 out of 500 has it turned off, so ther is no choice in the mod because almost every server has it turned on

Can't we all just get along :)

Doesn't mean we have to all sing combaya toghether and agree to everything you say, we all have different opinions and we discuss them, sure we can get along, but I have a privilige to disagree with you. So whatever I say it is nothing personal against you...

Edited by Kaboki

We could go round in circles with this all day, I guess my point is that there seems to be a lot of lines drawn in the sand over things, side chat v none, 3rd person v 1st person, public hives v private hives. Everyone has opinions but everyone seems to be insisting that their and only their vision is the one true way. I just think the game is improved for everyone by making it as flexible and inclusive as possible, i think that was a great strength of the mod and the mod wouldn't have existed at all if it wasn't for how open Arma itself was. 

Today it's side chat and it's fallen in your favour, tomorrow it might be some part of the game that you enjoy that gets unceremoniously cut.

Edited by theirongiant74

I guess my point is that there seems to be a lot of lines drawn in the sand over things, side chat v none, 3rd person v 1st person, public hives v private hives. Everyone has opinions but everyone seems to be insisting that their and only their vision is the one true way. I just think the game is improved for everyone by making it as flexible and inclusive as possible, i think that was a great strength of the mod and the mod wouldn't have existed at all if it wasn't for how open Arma itself was. 

Today it's side chat and it's fallen in your favour, tomorrow it might be some part of the game that you enjoy that gets unceremoniously cut.

I mean, people don't have to agree on everything. That's all that really needs to be said. Nobody's said that you can't have an opinion.

DayZ has never been "as flexible and inclusive as possible," in-fact, I'd assert that that's THE CATEGORICAL OPPOSITE of what DayZ is (or at the very least, should be).

Solutions have been proposed, fairly early on.

Sidechat becomes the RESULT of looting and powering an item in-game. It becomes a facility of choice (i.e. you can turn it on/off if you like, or, you can not loot it altogether). And, it removes the wholly detrimental facet of forcing players to see an annoying and largely irrelevant feed of shit. That, and it adds weight to the ability of communication... rather than just taking it for granted.

Edited by Katana67

The mod offered a wide range of styles due to it's flexibility, from the hardcore servers to RPG servers to vanilla servers to the daft spawn with high end loot and shoot everyone servers. Maybe I'm picking you up wrong.

On the walkie-talkie front, if the detrimental facet is forcing people to see it then having client side options provides the same ability to switch it off. The only difference is having a loot item. Tbh I've not tried using th walkie talkies so I can't comment on it but I'm going to give it a try and see.

Anyhoo, I think I've said all I've got to say. Peace out.

On the walkie-talkie front, if the detrimental facet is forcing people to see it then having client side options provides the same ability to switch it off. The only difference is having a loot item. Tbh I've not tried using th walkie talkies so I can't comment on it but I'm going to give it a try and see.

Again, variety/choice isn't always good.

People gravitated to ludicrous 1000 vehicle, self-bloodbag, donate-for-loadout servers... because they're easy. Not decent.

Having choices, inevitably means someone doesn't get something. You're not just picking server X, you're also NOT picking server Y. Thereby EXCLUDING a given type of play by virtue of popularity, not merit. Thus making it unfeasible on the server-side.

Having it be toggle-able client-side still means its innate, though. It'd be like willfully turning off your minimap, crosshair, and compass whilst playing a Regular game of BF to "simulate" Hardcore. You're willfully making the game harder whilst playing in a field of folks who are using these tools to their benefit. You're not just turning off setting X, you're turning off setting X while OTHERS still have setting X turned on. Thus making it unfeasible as an innate client-side option.

In-game item please.

I still don't see the difference if you're happy with the walkie talkie, unless you run with it on all the time you're playing at a disadvantage to anyone using them. Although I think the case of side chat handing people an advantage is being massively overstated.

I don't agree with your idea that choice is exclusionary, while towards the end of the mod (not the end but you know what i mean) there were more crazy servers but there were still a huge number of great, non-crazy servers. Some would be more popular that others but there was enough space so that everyone could find a server that suited them. 

Edited by theirongiant74

I still don't see the difference if you're happy with the walkie talkie, unless you run with it on all the time you're playing at a disadvantage to anyone using them. Although I think the case of side chat handing people an advantage is being massively overstated.

I don't agree with your idea that choice is exclusionary, while towards the end of the mod (not the end but you know what i mean) there were more crazy servers but there were still a huge number of great, non-crazy servers. Some would be more popular that others but there was enough space so that everyone could find a server that suited them. 

But you, as a player, have to expend EFFORT/RISK/TIME to get the ABILITY to communicate. Vice just getting it innately. Which is what I'm saying.

I think the case of sidechat NOT providing an advantage is HORRENDOUSLY understated. For example, I made a point of demonstrating the error in sidechat in the mod. Whenever I found a camp, I'd broadcast that location to everyone. Consequence-free.

A choice, by definition, is exclusionary. You're given X, Y, and Z. You pick X. Y and Z are not picked, and therefore excluded.

You're confusing "choice" with the "freedom to choose."

And if the popularity of Epoch is any indicator, "crazy" servers are far more numerous/popular than not. Sure, there are "regular" servers, but they're hardly ever full... and thus, someone who wants to play that way gets shortchanged with dead 5/75 servers.

Giving admins to much choice on the servers isn't good at all, look at what happend to the mod. Try find a populated server today that doesn't have 1000+ vehicles, self bloodbagging and all that bullshit. Most people when given the option seems to choose the easy way and that ruined the mod. I'd say force everyone to play Dayz SA like it was supposed to be(hard), that way it won't be ruined like the mod with all these COD kids paradise servers. Give us realism instead of easymode, where you always know where bandits are because it gets announced over sidechat and you know where all the heros to you rescue are because they annonce it too you, also I don't want my position to be revealed when Im a bandit, takes away the element of surprise and makes it too easy for heros to hunt me down.

Edited by Kaboki

Heh, I don't see what the problem still is. People have a side chat if they want one that is enabled/disabled by the user, it's called a walky talky.

The range according to Hicks is 30km's. So what's the issue? Looks like people are just bitching to bitch.  :huh:

But you, as a player, have to expend EFFORT/RISK/TIME to get the ABILITY to communicate. Vice just getting it innately. Which is what I'm saying.

I think the case of sidechat NOT providing an advantage is HORRENDOUSLY understated. For example, I made a point of demonstrating the error in sidechat in the mod. Whenever I found a camp, I'd broadcast that location to everyone. Consequence-free.

A choice, by definition, is exclusionary. You're given X, Y, and Z. You pick X. Y and Z are not picked, and therefore excluded.

You're confusing "choice" with the "freedom to choose."

And if the popularity of Epoch is any indicator, "crazy" servers are far more numerous/popular than not. Sure, there are "regular" servers, but they're hardly ever full... and thus, someone who wants to play that way gets shortchanged with dead 5/75 servers.

I don't see how walkie talkies prevents you from broadcasting base locations any more than sidechat does. Okay so you need to get an item first, so you delay getting sidechat for 10-30 mins per life. 

I think you're just arguing semantics at this point, for all I hear about how crazy servers took over I never found any trouble finding good vanilla or close to vanilla servers, I ran one myself. If you take away the crazy players then you still are left with your 5/75 servers. There are 2 million DayZ owners and countless servers, there is enough room for everyones style of play. 

Giving admins to much choice on the servers isn't good at all, look at what happend to the mod. Try find a populated server today that doesn't have 1000+ vehicles, self bloodbagging and all that bullshit. Most people when given the option seems to choose the easy way and that ruined the mod. I'd say force everyone to play Dayz SA like it was supposed to be(hard), that way it won't be ruined like the mod with all these COD kids paradise servers. Give us realism instead of easymode, where you always know where bandits are because it gets announced over sidechat and you know where all the heros to you rescue are because they annonce it too you, also I don't want my position to be revealed when Im a bandit, takes away the element of surprise and makes it too easy for heros to hunt me down.

So players should be forced to play a certain way and by happy coincidence that just happens to be the way you prefer to play. 

6vOVtXM.png

Taken from DayZ commander right now. I'm seeing a fairly equal split between crazy and vanilla.

I don't see how walkie talkies prevents you from broadcasting base locations any more than sidechat does. Okay so you need to get an item first, so you delay getting sidechat for 10-30 mins per life. 

First it's more realistic because you actually use somthing that would be plausible in real life, and you have to find it and also it needs batteries and not everyone carries them, so yes It is 100x times better than sidechat. Try and turn on your radio now, you won't even hear anyone on them. I always have it turned on, and have yet to hear anyone talking on it and spamming me locations to where bandits are etc....

I think you're just arguing semantics at this point, for all I hear about how crazy servers took over I never found any trouble finding good vanilla or close to vanilla servers, I ran one myself. If you take away the crazy players then you still are left with your 5/75 servers. There are 2 million DayZ owners and countless servers, there is enough room for everyones style of play. 

Find me 1 vanilla dayz server or close to being one with 1st person only and booth day and nightmode that is populated these days and I'll shut up....

Heh, I don't see what the problem still is. People have a side chat if they want one that is enabled/disabled by the user, it's called a walky talky.

The range according to Hicks is 30km's. So what's the issue? Looks like people are just bitching to bitch.  :huh:

Tbf I only found out about the walkie talkies in this thread, not tried them yet but for all the difference it makes it seems like a minute change.

So players should be forced to play a certain way and by happy coincidence that just happens to be the way you prefer to play. 

That is really the ultimate non-response to end them all, isn't it? "You don't want spaceships and laserguns in the game? I don't care. Stop telling me how to play this game".

6vOVtXM.png

Taken from DayZ commander right now. I'm seeing a fairly equal split between crazy and vanilla.

There is only one decent one in there and that is ZeroSurvival.net but it has 3rd person view so it doesn't fit me..... Rest are just crap 200+ vehicles and selblodbagging and shit. And that ZeroSurvival server is empty most of the time of day I play....Find me a server like it but with 1st person only that is populated and I'll be grateful and I'll shut up... And also find me a Namalsk server that is close to ZeroSurvival.net that is populated, heck even one with 3rd person as long as it's not 24/7 daylight and 200+ vehicles....

And also I just browsed dayz commander just know, and it doesn't even have close to the numbers that's in your screenshoot, only 2 servers with more than 15 players and they are crap... If I filter out 3rd person, I get one server that has any players(13) but it has 999 vehicles..... This is what has fucking happend to the mod and I wouldn't like it to happen to Dayz SA too..

Edited by Kaboki