CANUCKinNZ

Any News on Global Chat?

Which one do you like more?

hcxHUM0.jpg

ItAuP6j.jpg

Depends. Is the chat really, really good trollbait? I can't read Cyrillic so.

No to Global Chat, yes to way more common walkie talkies.

Maybe down the line there could be a way to rig up the power lines to handle "mourse code"? That could be a way to bring back global text chat...

• Like 1

This.

Judging by global chat in the mod ratio of normal talk to something really stupid was about 1:5 in the best case. What is the point of implementing a feature that will be worth turning on?

Still global or increased range and more common walkie-talkies will be a cool thing.

Maybe down the line there could be a way to rig up the power lines to handle "mourse code"? That could be a way to bring back global text chat...

This.

Agree

Judging by global chat in the mod ratio of normal talk to something really stupid was about 1:5 in the best case. What is the point of implementing a feature that will be worth turning on?

Still global or increased range and more common walkie-talkies will be a cool thing.

That's cool, you don't want it you can switch it off or play on a server than doesn't implement it but all the OP is asking for is to be given the choice so that everyone can play as they want.

That's cool, you don't want it you can switch it off or play on a server than doesn't implement it but all the OP is asking for is to be given the choice so that everyone can play as they want.

Yeah, that's cute and fuzzy to say and all but to hell with that nonsense. Sometimes people are idiots and they want stupid shit. That doesn't mean you have to give it to them just "so they can play the way they want". Sometimes you have to make a decision that a some people disagree with in order to make something better overall, instead of worrying about pleasing everyone.

• Like 2

It has been my experience that global chat channels become nothing more than a cesspool unless they are heavily moderated. 

eah, that's cute and fuzzy to say and all but to hell with that nonsense. Sometimes people are idiots and they want stupid shit. That doesn't mean you have to give it to them just "so they can play the way they want". Sometimes you have to make a decision that a some people disagree with in order to make something better overall, instead of worrying about pleasing everyone.

And you're the final arbitrator of what is nonsense or what is better overall and what isn't? OP's suggestion was reasonable and allowed everyone the choice, I just don't understand why you'd shoot it down, if you don't want sidechat, switch it off but a lot of people want it so why not accommodate them as well? It smacks of throwing your toys out the pram because not everybody plays like you. 

It has been my experience that global chat channels become nothing more than a cesspool unless they are heavily moderated. 

It's been my experience that it's great for building a community. You switch it off, I switch it on - everybody's happy.

Edited by theirongiant74

We aren't in the apocalypse, we're sitting in front of computers having fun. For some people that's immersion, for others it's having a laugh. I can't understand the mindset of wanting to force everyone to play it your way, particularly from a game that came from the most pliable and moddable of games, it's success, no it's entire existance, is entirely based off the fact that arma 2 could be moulded into whatever game you wanted to play. I'm all for (text) side chat with both server and client on/off switches. If you don't like it switch it off, if you don't like it on for anyone find a server with it switched off globally, whatever - find a server that matches how you want to play but don't try and dictate how everyone else should play, that's weak sauce.

This logic is used by the same numbskulls who yell 'if you dont like it dont watch it' to those who critique youtubers, shows, and movies. 'If you don't like it, don't play it' or 'If you don't like it, play somewhere else' is just, stupid.

Global Chat has no place in a game where more realistic means of communication can be created.

It clutters up the screen, and allows me to tell you something from one edge of the map when you are at the other edge. It creates way too much communication between survivors in such a desolate world.

Radios are a good alternative to this. Colonization, as well...

No sidechat and no serverside sidechat option. It should never be an option, there is simply no point if the only excuse is "its a laugh having it turned on".

And as someone also mentioned in another thread it would be rather cool, though unfortunately probably impossible, if teamspeak and other similar third-party programs was nerfed by having the game treat voice input to those programs as voicechat input in the game, so that everytime someone speaks in teamspeak it will be handled as the character speaking in game.

The PDA GPS suggestion is a silly one. And the battery issue, while being a real serious issue, since all batteries would be long since flat, and you don't find extra batteries for those lying around everywhere, is only a minor issue in regards to that: Do you think a sattelite navigation system takes care of itself and can function without maintenance?

Man, todays kids are really screwed if something big ever happened to the power system.

• Like 1

Personally I loved glbal chat. I know it was immersion breaking, but it was very fun to read someones insane post while you were chomping through the woods on the way to your next target.

Wheres the "is there anyone in Cherno" at? I so miss reading that phrase.....

Global chat, no. But a Killfeed? Yes. And at the same time, a voting system where people can kick a hacker out if the little basement dweller shows up killing everyone in the server. Boom. And also force people to use their steam ID so actual proof would be able to show for a global ban.

This logic is used by the same numbskulls who yell 'if you dont like it dont watch it' to those who critique youtubers, shows, and movies. 'If you don't like it, don't play it' or 'If you don't like it, play somewhere else' is just, stupid.

Global Chat has no place in a game where more realistic means of communication can be created.

It clutters up the screen, and allows me to tell you something from one edge of the map when you are at the other edge. It creates way too much communication between survivors in such a desolate world.

Radios are a good alternative to this. Colonization, as well...

I feel you're missing my point a little, I get that you personally don't like global chat and I'm 100 percent behind your right to not have it. The OP is requesting that global chat be there for people who want it, on a server or client level, or not  there as the player prefers. The arguments about 1st v 3rd person are far more contentious and have a far greater effect on the immersion than chat would ever have and yet that is implemented as a server option, I don't see any good argument why this shouldn't be.

No sidechat and no serverside sidechat option. It should never be an option, there is simply no point if the only excuse is "its a laugh having it turned on".

And as someone also mentioned in another thread it would be rather cool, though unfortunately probably impossible, if teamspeak and other similar third-party programs was nerfed by having the game treat voice input to those programs as voicechat input in the game, so that everytime someone speaks in teamspeak it will be handled as the character speaking in game.

It's good for building communities

It's good for running server events

It's good for reporting hackers

It's good for helping newbies

It's good for reporting problems with the server*

The OP's suggestion was inclusive, he's understood that global chat is a subjective thing and that some people like it, some don't and has proffered a best-of-both-worlds solution that would suit all players. I have far more respect for that sort of thinking than someone dogmatically insisting that everyone should play the game in exactly the manner he deems to be superior. 

-- edit --

Just thought of a perfect example, I was playing last night and for some reason the 'use' option wasn't appearing on any items. If I'd have had global chat I could have asked players on the server if they were having the same issue and if so restarted the server to see if that fixed it. As I couldn't and I couldn't assume that it was affecting everyone I had to leave it as is, so potentially the server could have been having issues and I had no way of knowing. This kind of stuff happens all the time, it's a fact of life that you run into issues with arma that require a server restart and you rely on your players to report this kind of thing.

Edited by theirongiant74

Noooooooooo, fuck the sidechat, it was the most annoying thing in the mod because there was always some idiot that wanted to fart into the mic or something, and once somebody started it was like an spreading infection and all the sudden all kinds of weird noises started coming out of sidechat from more and more people and it totally ruined the immersion. And then I had to go through alot of 'muting', sometimes upto 10 people had to be muted. And even the sidechat text is annoying.....

We have walkie talkies, they only need to give them a little more range and also make them more easy to find....then we can communicate more realisticly....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck sidechat, never allow any admins to turn it on again ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Kaboki
  • Like 1

Noooooooooo, fuck the sidechat, it was the most annoying thing in the mod because there was always some idiot that wanted to fart into the mic or something, and once somebody started it was like an spreading infection and all the sudden all kinds of weird noises started coming out of sidechat from more and more people and it totally ruined the immersion. And then I had to go through alot of 'muting', sometimes upto 10 people had to be muted.

We have walkie talkies, they only need to give them a little more range and also make them more easy to find....then we can communicate more realisticly....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck sidechat, never allow any admins to turn it on again ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're only talking about text chat, I think everyone agrees that global voice chat is horrible. Although I do remember playing on a server where 1 guy started doing a parody news report about a battle at Balota but he had an amazing voice. He instantly referred to as 'Awesome voice guy' and everyone on the server loved him speaking over global. I propose that global voice chat be reinstated for Awesome Voice Guy only and it should be global to every player on every server.

Edited by theirongiant74

Ok, but fuck text sidechat texting too, It should be hard to find friends in an apocalypse, It should not be as easy as text 'wanna team up' on sidechat. And no one should be 'warned' where bandits are and areas to avoid, it takes away all the risks. If you want to talk bullshit with your friends use fucking teamspeak or something. Wanna play with others join a clan or whatever or get your friends to play with you. And no, there is no 'funny' guys on sidechat, only dickheads that ruin the fucking immersion, I could not care less if it even was Bill Hicks speaking over global. If I want funny guys speak I go watch a comedy show or something.

• Like 1

Ok, but fuck text sidechat texting too, It should be hard to find friends in an apocalypse, It should not be as easy as text 'wanna team up' on sidechat. And no one should be 'warned' where bandits are and areas to avoid, it takes away all the risks. If you want to talk bullshit with your friends use fucking teamspeak or something. Wanna play with others join a clan or whatever or get your friends to play with you. And no, there is no 'funny' guys on sidechat, only dickheads that ruin the fucking immersion, I could not care less if it even was Bill Hicks speaking over global. If I want funny guys speak I go watch a comedy show or something.

I don't know how many times I can say it but that's fine for you, that's how you want to play the game, this isn't about the merits or otherwise of text chat. Each side has it's reasons but surely the adult thing to do is seek compromise, a solution that suits all parties. I've yet to see a reason not to do it that's anything more than "that's not the way I play and everyone should be forced to play the way I do."

Walky Talkies are the new side chat as posted by Hicks over 2 weeks ago on Reddit.

Hicks_206Producer 19 points

16 days ago

"Walkies = side chat"

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/26mtqr/suggestion_radio_broadcasting_with_actual/

People who don't want to see/hear chat won't turn to that channel or have a radio. Problem solved.

Enjoy your side chat people.

Walky Talkies are the new side chat as posted by Hicks over 2 weeks ago on Reddit.

Hicks_206Producer 19 points

16 days ago

"Walkies = side chat"

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/26mtqr/suggestion_radio_broadcasting_with_actual/

People who don't want to see/hear chat won't turn to that channel or have a radio. Problem solved.

Enjoy your side chat people.

Awesome, tbh I've not had a chance to use the walke-talkies much but seems like a reasonable middle ground.

i turn it on everytime i Play.

and message text from time to time while playing! 

i m in cherno most of the time, would love to find another walkie talkie dude!

I don't know how many times I can say it but that's fine for you, that's how you want to play the game, this isn't about the merits or otherwise of text chat. Each side has it's reasons but surely the adult thing to do is seek compromise, a solution that suits all parties. I've yet to see a reason not to do it that's anything more than "that's not the way I play and everyone should be forced to play the way I do."

Yeah so you wanna force others play the way you want and I wanna force you to play the way I want this game to be played, what's the difference?. Im voicing my opinion for players who want realism, you want more unrealistic ways to cummunicate, fair enough...We already have teamspeak for that...

We all know that the minute we give admins the right to turn on sidechat, all servers will have it, just like in the mod.....

Edited by Kaboki

this isn't about the merits or otherwise of text chat.

Why? Of course it is... people don't like X for Y reasons.

Sidechat, in all innately-given forms (i.e. you don't have to loot an item in-game) is evil... evil I say.

EDIT - And I love how people have this misty-eyed bond with sidechat somehow, as if it actually behaved in a beneficial manner with any semblance of frequency. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Sidechat was 50% whining about being killed, 20% asking "ANY1 IN CHURNO?", 10% being entitled and asking for rides, 10% trolling, 5% sexism, and 5% actually conversing in a way that aided gameplay.

Or this... from earlier... my percentages/categories always change...

70% whining about being killed, 10% trolling, 10% entitlement for rides, 5% asking repetitive questions that could be answered by just going to the website, and 5% actual interaction.

I vote NO on 4chan feeds grafted to my eyeballs...

Edited by Katana67