gibonez

Is character movement too responsive ?

I am sure you guys have all seen it either in game or in playthrough videos but characters in Stand Alone have the agility of professional athletes.

The dangers of the wasteland has instilled a strange behavior that is not natural in players.

PLAYERS DO NOT STAY STILL.

No matter what they do a player will always be moving around in random directions anxious that there is a random sniper training his aim on him or her.

This leads to people moving and behaving in unrealistic and downright odd behavior.

Nobody in real life would move in the way people move in dayz.  People would outright wear themselves out too quickly or look like a lunatic moving side to side as they sprint through a clearing.

Some Arma 3 mods have addressed this by putting in realistic tweaks to player movement that I feel help immerse the player into the game more and would be good for gameplay.

1. back stepping speed is reduced by 75 percent. Being able to move backwards at nearly the same speed as moving forward simply does not work in real life thus it should not work in game.

2. There is a slight delay between the time you can strafe or change directions. Basically strafing erratically in makeshift zig zag patterns does not work . The game however keeps your mouse movement as responsive as ever this only affects the players movement and not his ability to realistically look and aim.

3. Sprint speed is reduced to realistic levels. You can no longer sprint at 14 mph with these realism mods the number is brought down to a realistic level.

Anyone else bothered by the responsiveness of the players movement and the unrealistic movement mechanics ?

It's not realistic, yes.

No discussion there.

However, why do people run around like idiots on speed?

Because the density of a certain type of player that would just wait for you to stand still and cheap-snipe you is too damn high.

I would gladly walk into a city, asking around: "Hello, is anybody there?", but we all know what slow walk or standing still means: "You are dead".

Cut the percentage of long-range hits by 50 % (by whatever means), and you can reduce the countermeasure "running/dodging/retarded movement".

Limiting players' ability to stay alive in a game environment that is ridden with obsessed killers who can hit flawlessly and easily is not a good idea.

The thing is, people do not "idly" move around as fast as in DayZ. But someone that's fit who wants to move fast and unpredictably, will move faster and will be harder to hit than someone running in DayZ. So I guess it kinda balances out.

Huh? Care to explain your "reflexes of a cat" comment? DayZ somehow improves people's reaction time?

Do you honestly think wielding sniping capable guns is a simple/easy as it is in DayZ? If using the M4 do you think you can just hit F and get a new mag out of your ammo box automatically? IRL that would take quite a lot more time and fishing and you wouldn't be able to do it while keeping an eye on your target the whole time. My point is that the lack of realism in player movement is balanced with the lack of realism in the capabilities and options available to snipers.

I'd like to see a stamina system, and maybe some sense of momentum to player characters, but that's it. Adding delays is a horrible idea.

Do you honestly think wielding sniping capable guns is a simple/easy as it is in DayZ? If using the M4 do you think you can just hit F and get a new mag out of your ammo box automatically? IRL that would take quite a lot more time and fishing and you wouldn't be able to do it while keeping an eye on your target the whole time. My point is that the lack of realism in player movement is balanced with the lack of realism in the capabilities and options available to snipers.

No, it's not as easy. It's easier. I reload faster IRL than I do in DayZ -- and indeed, I can keep my eyes on my target. Why couldn't I?

Gibonez, have you ever seen anything that you actually think is well executed in DayZ SA?

I mean, everyone should be pin point shooters, but if you never tire from running, it is broken?

The only thing unnatural in DayZ is the eternal running, which is there because vehicles aren't.  The players move like they are ankle deep in mud for all other movement.   Maybe if you are fat or a paraplegic, it seems unnatural, but to a moderately healthy human, it is actually even worse than real life.

since we're talking about realism in games.. strafing and slightly erratic movements doesn't break immersion that much. not as much as an item instantly appearing in your hands from the bottom of a back pack.

so making movements in game match real life for realism sake should be carried over to item switching as well right?

I mean shouldn't a person have to put their rifle on shoulder, take off their pack, open it, take out the new item, put pack back on and then ready their pistol or whatever?

yeah sprinting forever and bouncing around like an ADHD child on crack while carrying a full pack is kind of silly

Until the item duplication exploit is fixed people should be able to run like rockstars because that's the only way to compensate for snipers with essentially endless ammo. Once the item duplication exploit is fixed and snipers have realistic ammo foraged (20-40 rounds) I don't think you'll see as much sniping and you certainly won't see a sniper holding down an area for very long like they can do now.

As just a few have mentioned before, momentum is the word you're looking for.

The complete lack of any kind of momentum is what makes movement so incredibly unrealistic. Especially when moving around as you stand still.

A fatigue system alone isn't going to change anything, momentum needs to be added to the movement to get rid of everyone being the flash.

Try going from a full sprint to a side step instantaneously, you'll more than likely trip or roll an ankle or blow out your knee or something. Maybe add a consequence such as a trip or a stumble from these sudden movements, which would make you want to maybe act like a real person rather than what the current situation is. Also to the poster on the first page, you're running through a field and you here a bullet come flying at you, hardly ever do you run side to side to evade a bullet, the only thing you evade by going side to side is an alligator  :P .

So basically add a tripping or stumbling consequence for these actions as well as a slight agility nerf. Good thread is good.

Try going from a full sprint to a side step instantaneously, you'll more than likely trip or roll an ankle or blow out your knee or something. Maybe add a consequence such as a trip or a stumble from these sudden movements, which would make you want to maybe act like a real person rather than what the current situation is. Also to the poster on the first page, you're running through a field and you here a bullet come flying at you, hardly ever do you run side to side to evade a bullet, the only thing you evade by going side to side is an alligator  :P .

So basically add a tripping or stumbling consequence for these actions as well as a slight agility nerf. Good thread is good.

Imagine if Dayz had euphoria physics engine for animations.

Used by all rockstar games.

It is a really amazing physics and animation solution but its super expensive apparently.

• Like 1

Imagine if Dayz had euphoria physics engine for animations.

Used by all rockstar games.

It is a really amazing physics and animation solution but its super expensive apparently.

Dean for Christmas I want ^

Are you sure they aren't just adding the superspeed and stamina due to not having vehicles implemented yet? Perhaps they will address this after better mobility is offered.

Are you sure they aren't just adding the superspeed and stamina due to not having vehicles implemented yet? Perhaps they will address this after better mobility is offered.

I would hope not that would just get people used to the unreal tournament movement and then if the game gets a stamina and more realistic movement put in place people would go ape shit.

Its like 3pp and 1pp.

Imagine if they kept 3pp only for the alpha and in the beta they outright removed it due to the corner peeking, people would lose their minds for a solid week or two.

It's just a game, it's not supposed to be realistic, a lot of things in it are tho, because it's on the ARMA engine (which is a realistic game, kinda)

Though i kinda get your point, people sprint too much, the devs should add some sort of stamina... And if there is, make it more important.

It's just a game, it's not supposed to be realistic, a lot of things in it are tho, because it's on the ARMA engine (which is a realistic game, kinda)

Though i kinda get your point, people sprint too much, the devs should add some sort of stamina... And if there is, make it more important.

More so than stamina a weight system would be insanely important.

I makes little sense to see players that are fully geared with 50+ pounds of gear if not more yet they sprint for miles and miles at insane speeds.

Sprinting should be a last resort thing something you dont wana do unless you are going to die immediately.

A fast walk or jog should be the primary means of transportation.

I makes little sense to see players that are fully geared with 50+ pounds of gear if not more yet they sprint for miles and miles at insane speeds.

Sprinting should be a last resort thing something you dont wana do unless you are going to die immediately.

Yeah, some sort of weight systen would be nice... But they should definitely fix the zombie pathfinding first... We could try to get people to support the idea...

Yeah, some sort of weight systen would be nice... But they should definitely fix the zombie pathfinding first... We could try to get people to support the idea...

Yup moment is the correct word there is no sense of momentum at all in the game.

That is not normal movement.

I agree that the animations could be a little better. Exessive strafing should have a penalty on your character. I hope that the stamina system does something to this problem. 

But what I am against is to make this more like arma 2 was. The movement should be smooth as butter.

Edited by DannyRed

1. back stepping speed is reduced by 75 percent. Being able to move backwards at nearly the same speed as moving forward simply does not work in real life thus it should not work in game.

This is the only thing I would like to see happen. Rest would make the game more sluggish and that is the last thing we need with this engine.