Sign in to follow this  
alferret

CPU makes a huge difference for gameplay

My spec was/is quite old. Probably 4+ years (aside from the GPU)

E7600 @ 3.7ghz

4gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz

Win 7 64bit

ATI 7770

All held together with duct-tape a a P5G41TM mobo

I used to get poor frame rates at times on normal settings so I looked at options for squeezing a tad more out of my PC.

I picked up a second hand CPU, a Q9550 2.83ghz off of Ebay.

What a breath of fresh air this CPU is.

All settings set to high and a massive increase in frame rates, no more CPU lag. Its the difference between day and night. I have given it a mild overclock of 15% and its the best £60 I have spent on this beast in a long, long time.

So for those suffering even tho their GPU should be up to snuff find a better (quad core) CPU, you really wont be dissapointed.

Edited by alferret
  • Like 1

I somewhat recently upgraded to an i7 haswell 3.6 or 3.7 ghz (it runs at 3.9 under normal conditions on this board) and it really gave DayZ a boost. Additionally, a solid state drive makes this game pre-compile smooth under it's current, unoptimized conditions. Specifically, I can maintain smooth 40-60 (to be conservative) on a samsung 840 EVO 256gb, and my single 760 ftw edition.

yep, RV engine is CPU hungry all the way.

Plus its client framerate is affected directly by the server performance (the most stupid thing i've ever seen).

Get an i5 or you'll never get anything above 30~40 fps in good servers.

• Like 1

i hate to think that there might be people with old dual cores expecting a smooth game with dayz.

anyone who wants a good experience with pc gaming should have a decent cpu, welcome to decent frames, op!

i hate to think that there might be people with old dual cores expecting a smooth game with dayz.

anyone who wants a good experience with pc gaming should have a decent cpu, welcome to decent frames, op!

a dual core running at almost 4GHz should be totally able to handle dayz and its clunky graphics and non existant physics, if the engine was optimized just a minimum.

Lol i run my i2-2120 @ 3.3GHz with a GT 610 and get about 20-40 FPS on normal settings

Lol i run my i2-2120 @ 3.3GHz with a GT 610 and get about 20-40 FPS on normal settings

cool man if you can play it

a dual core running at almost 4GHz should be totally able to handle dayz and its clunky graphics and non existant physics, if the engine was optimized just a minimum.

sure, and game will be optimized more,

i think the graphics are great on dayz on high settings, while map is massive so thats a lot of cpu action, a newer quad core will provide a much better experience, when game is optimized i imagine, i wasnt really reffering to op with the comment, his cpu aint too bad, just talking in general.

I used to run with a core2duo E8400.. and it ran DayZ (both SA and the mod) just fine. With my quad core I now have a much better experience though.. 

yeah thats all i mean, just a better nicer experience, i didnt mean my original comment to sound elitist or anything, haha. i just imagine some people with really old cpus struggling for 20 frames or whatever

Im assuming that the Arma III engine is totally different from the SA engine as I played for a few hours with the Steam free DL and with all setting on ultra I was getting a minimum of 25 everywhere topping out at high 40's occasionally.  

I have Q6600 2.40 GHZ

I get around 30 fps out of town, and about  10/15 in town, with loads of stuttering for buildings to load.

• Like 1

Im assuming that the Arma III engine is totally different from the SA engine as I played for a few hours with the Steam free DL and with all setting on ultra I was getting a minimum of 25 everywhere topping out at high 40's occasionally.  

Different yes totally not really it is complete and alot of optimizing has been achieved ( honestly has been BIS best effort at optimization thus far fingers crossed for Dayz).

One large notable difference though is the amount of active items in Dayz vs Arma 3 (i am assuming you tried a showcase or campaign mission) even with there network bubble there is a very large amount of items both in your area and across the map ( i say across the map because your performance is heavily limited by what the server performance is also, thats why alot of there current optimization has been aimed at server side performance.(ofcourse to gain themselves resources to add things like more zeds in the end aswell.)

Perhaps try a mod for arma like breaking point as it is a dayz style mod and then compare results with what you achieve in Dayz SA.

But for your original post yeah CPU is vital on any RV engine game..

• Like 1