~TT~

"Please wait" and then "Your dead"

When did I mention anything about programming? I haven't the first clue and never stated it. I'm basing my "It's a game, they need to load" on years of experience. Load up anything, you'll notice it will load while it generates the surroundings. But yeah, what a surprise another person on a forum who can't read.

Multiple people already tried to explain to you that no one has a problem with games loading. Everyone understands that. The problem we have is with the processing order. And it should not be a problem to let the game load with all assets, report full loading and THEN spawn your character in.

Regarding the discussion what causes the problem, if i recall correctly from the early mod times (anyone remember when the mod took 10 minutes to load and this was considered normal... hard times) it was worse the longer the server was up. Ping etc did not matter but if a server was not restarted frequently the amount of time it needed to load was hugely increased. I dont run a server myself but i think it might be something with ram beeing consumed and not released properly when its not needed anymore. And since DayZ SA servers still need frequent restarts (not for the loot but for performance) this might still be an issue. Then we would at least have some more time until it happens when 64 bit servers are supported ;)

Edited by okami

Multiple people already tried to explain to you that no one has a problem with games loading. Everyone understands that. The problem we have is with the processing order. And it should not be a problem to let the game load with all assets, report full loading and THEN spawn your character in.

Regarding the discussion what causes the problem, if i recall correctly from the early mod times (anyone remember when the mod took 10 minutes to load and this was considered normal... hard times) it was worse the longer the server was up. Ping etc did not matter but if a server was not restarted frequently the amount of time it needed to load was hugely increased. I dont run a server myself but i think it might be something with ram beeing consumed and not released properly when its not needed anymore. And since DayZ SA servers still need frequent restarts (not for the loot but for performance) this might still be an issue. Then we would at least have some more time until it happens when 64 bit servers are supported ;)

Obviously the last person who assumed I was trying to make out as a programming god didn't understand that at all.

There's also multiple people on this thread who have tried explaining to you and others who agree that the character is there for less than 5 seconds until you have fully loaded in. Not even being able to load in completely with the ability to look around and fight may have saved him. For all he knows someone could have been right besides him with a rifle at his head, the moment he pressed anything, he could have been dead. The problem is not with the fact that the server places your character visibly in-game, it's about logging out in low-pop areas or areas that are difficult to target someone within. Like a tree line. Not in a open-doored building that's a few metres from one of, if not the most popular areas within the game right now. It's like logging out and logging in the middle of Berezino, Cherno or Elektro in their hay day and expecting it to end well. 

Obviously the last person who assumed I was trying to make out as a programming god didn't understand that at all.

There's also multiple people on this thread who have tried explaining to you and others who agree that the character is there for less than 5 seconds until you have fully loaded in. Not even being able to load in completely with the ability to look around and fight may have saved him. For all he knows someone could have been right besides him with a rifle at his head, the moment he pressed anything, he could have been dead. The problem is not with the fact that the server places your character visibly in-game, it's about logging out in low-pop areas or areas that are difficult to target someone within. Like a tree line. Not in a open-doored building that's a few metres from one of, if not the most popular areas within the game right now. It's like logging out and logging in the middle of Berezino, Cherno or Elektro in their hay day and expecting it to end well. 

There's a difference between "understanding, dealing with, and working around the current game mechanics" vs acknowledging how something "should" work. The original poster correctly pointed out that there is an issue here - the game mechanics shouldn't log you in until everything is loaded and you're capable of moving/defending yourself. There shouldn't be a "fuzz period" of 5, 10, or any number of seconds where, while loading, you might already be logged in and accessible to the environment and/or other players when the game hasn't finished loading and you're unable to react. That's the point, and it's a valid one.

• Like 1

Finding a safe place is one thing. The next question is where is a really safe place? Players can be virtually everywhere and now even Zombies are in the forests around towns and villages. So it´s all about probability. Ok, but how can one defend an obvious bug/problem which should be fixed?

Edited by lauda
  • Like 2

Finding a safe place is one thing. The next question is where is a really safe place? Players can be virtually everywhere and now even Zombies are in the forests around towns and villages. So it´s all about probability. Ok, but how can one defend an obvious bug/problem which should be fixed?

You shouldn't defend obvious problems - you should discuss and acknowledge them, it will then allow players understand what to expect and thus how to work around them until they are addressed. There shouldn't be a, "Dunno what your problem is bro, lol @ you, you play like a newb, games have to load duh!" There's an obvious problem here and as I noted it appears it's a known issue - and the best thing to do with known issues logged in the bug tracker is vote them up so they might get addressed quicker.

• Like 2

@Death by Crowbar,

this game has so many serious bugs, you can´t vote them all up :lol:

• Like 1

This has happened to me lots of times, expect I didn't wait until someone killed me. When you press esc you can actually see your character just standing right there.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting my time getting a good distance from a town/airfield and sitting in some random bushes before logging out... Apparently not...

It just seems like really bad luck OP, not a good buzz :(

I say keep it as it is. Makes it harder for serverhoppers, at least they'll have to actually run to approach an airfield instead of spawning right inside/next to a building, if they want to be safe. 

Easy fix: log off in a safe place. This is what you should do anyway. Done.

• Like 1

I say keep it as it is. Makes it harder for serverhoppers, at least they'll have to actually run to approach an airfield instead of spawning right inside/next to a building, if they want to be safe.

Easy fix: log off in a safe place. This is what you should do anyway. Done.

I think you'll find all the shouty people here want 60 seconds of god mode because they can't be arsed with all that precaution nonsense. It gets in the way of the looting or something.

Maybe its hard for some folks here to think a little bit more abstract. While the problem occured when the op did something he could have avoided by logging out in a better position it still is a problem. And some of us remember how it was in the mod where it could get worse with every update. Its the same engine modified so it could get worse anytime if noone tells the devs about it.

We are playing an alpha, we are SUPPOSED to find and report issues. NOT to find workarounds. This is not to make it more convenient or less hardcore or give someone godmode, it is to address an issue with your character spawning in before you have control. Which could be avoided easily.

I admit the op was not very clever in this situation and i don`t like the tone of his complaint but nonetheless the issue he brings up is valid.

• Like 1

so been alive for about 5 days and had good runs looting 2 air bases, wanted to continue my adventure today & joined a half full server, fully geared with m4,  plenty of ammo, mosin on hand and a good amount of food.

closed the game previously inside a barn behind a house near the airbase, double clicked the server to join and it goes "Please wait" after about 10 seconds it changed to "Your dead".

then i hear a guy wacking an axe on me..so pretty much i have been live since "Please wait" status which was on for 10-15 seconds, some random has axed me while i was still loading to the server, felt soo shit like i wasted 4 days of my time for nothing. why the f does it take soo long in "please wait" status and why does the player go live during that time ? why cant it be "Waiting for host" then instantly spawn like before the recent patches were done??.. or having the player not going live until the "Please wait" is done :unsure:

No one seems to be really giving you a straight answer, as fa as I have read, which was like three posts. Ok, so someone probably has, but anyway, a big factor was probably your internet is probably slow? Either that, or it could be that that you're fully connected to the server, but your computer has not yet fully loaded the world ,or the display, so it makes you wait. What happened to you is why I'm paranoid everytime join a game in DayZ :P

Guys, in case you can't read, the issue here is the fact that sometimes your screen displays "Please wait..." while your character stands in-game unable to defend himself. This has nothing to do with whether or not the OP ran far enough away from a city/airfield, but everything to do with this issue needing to be addressed. There are several reasons to fix this as soon as possible:

• Zombie aggro
  • Server resets

As far as the guy who said it lasts only a few seconds, you're wrong. It lasts varying lengths of time. An example was given in this thread of a few seconds, but I and a few people I play with have had it happen for upwards of a full minute. No one wants "god mode" upon logging in, it'd just be nice to know your character isn't loaded until you're able to see your surroundings. Common sense much?

Man, it's like people are so horny to start a fight they'll argue against improvements that need to be made to the game.

facepalm-photo.jpg

Edited by Grimey Rick

Game loading = bug?

I'm sorry not everything is spontaneous. Some things do take time, such as rendering and loading.

You can say that.  But then you'd also be completely ignorant as to how loading into a server has worked for virtually every single stable branch patch up until this one.  Seriously..  Not until this last patch has there been such a long "Please Wait" and a delay before entering a server.  The devs did fix duping, but now they've actually reintroduced it.

For me the "Please Wait" is either a few seconds or endless. If it goes over a few seconds I hit escape and rejoin the server, but sometimes my body is still there from the first "Please Wait" screen, and I get to watch the feller as he does his sit-down motions and disappears. 

• Like 1

Log off somewhere safe.

Ideally we would have one player per server and we would sleep in game like rust when we log off.

This is the dream once base building is possible and private hives come out.

Log off somewhere safe.

Ideally we would have one player per server and we would sleep in game like rust when we log off.

This is the dream once base building is possible and private hives come out.

There are no safe places, there are currently places that are safer than elsewhere.

However, that won't be the case if they decide to add aggressive wildlife and/or roaming zombies.

There are no safe places, there are currently places that are safer than elsewhere.

However, that won't be the case if they decide to add aggressive wildlife and/or roaming zombies.

There totally could be safe places if they make it 1 character per server.

middle of the woods, once base building is in your base.

A remote boarded up house.

Lots of potential safe places.

*snip*

I think many people have some weird thoughts here...

You SHOULD have a delay of at least 10 seconds before being able to control your character, while your character should allready be visible in-game

Why? because ghosters, thats why

I don't want to have a firefight, camping in a safe house where all entrances are shut, while someone spawns in the same house, without a sound mind you (because for some reason they removed that), and shoots you down before you even have a chance to react (if his hive connection was fast enough)

that is just unfair metagame right there, there should be a log-in sound different from every in-game sound (like a door opening or something else) when your character gets into the game, then, a 10-30 second delay should be placed while you are visible and killable in the game

the mod had a similar delay, and i think it is going to be in the game after the alpha or beta, as it should be

really, just log out somewhere safe, and mind that you are logging in STANDING, no matter what stance you had while logging out

Edited by Zombo

and we would sleep in game like rust when we log off.

No. This can not be done in an any way realistic form. If I were sleeping in a zombie apocalypse, I would be able to hear the banging when somebody is breaking in to my base to steal my stuff and kill me and be able to wake up and attempt to defend myself, but when I'm logged off of a game at work, how can I come on to defend my body?

No. This can not be done in an any way realistic form. If I were sleeping in a zombie apocalypse, I would be able to hear the banging when somebody is breaking in to my base to steal my stuff and kill me and be able to wake up and attempt to defend myself, but when I'm logged off of a game at work, how can I come on to defend my body?

It works perfectly fine in Rust and would work fine in dayz.

What it tends to do is force people to buddy up and build together.

This mechanic forces people to look after each other when one is logged off it also puts a heavy emphasis on your homestead and survival.

That is not to say you couldnt survive out on your own away from people you just need to have a smaller profile.

What it tends to do is force people to buddy up and build together.

This mechanic forces people to look after each other when one is logged off it also puts a heavy emphasis on your homestead and survival.

That is not to say you couldnt survive out on your own away from people you just need to have a smaller profile.

This would pretty much destroy my ability to play the game

From Monday to Fryday, i only have 2 hours max to play this game, and i dont want to lose my gear just because some people without jobs can play longer and don't need to get to sleep or work at a specific time

Losing gear in dayz is pretty final, you need to start all over again, while in rust you can respawn at your sleeping bag or something similar (never played it)

Getting to full gear again can take up to 5-6 hours, depending on luck and without server hopping/killing a geared player

I think many people have some weird thoughts here...

You SHOULD have a delay of at least 10 seconds before being able to control your character, while your character should allready be visible in-game

Why? because ghosters, thats why

I don't want to have a firefight, camping in a safe house where all entrances are shut, while someone spawns in the same house, without a sound mind you (because for some reason they removed that), and shoots you down before you even have a chance to react (if his hive connection was fast enough)

that is just unfair metagame right there, there should be a log-in sound different from every in-game sound (like a door opening or something else) when your character gets into the game, then, a 10-30 second delay should be placed while you are visible and killable in the game

the mod had a similar delay, and i think it is going to be in the game after the alpha or beta, as it should be

really, just log out somewhere safe, and mind that you are logging in STANDING, no matter what stance you had while logging out

Uh, no. Totally disagree. You shouldn't ever load in without being able to control your character. That is dumb.

As far as ghosting, why did they deem it necessary to remove the reloading sound effects upon logging in? That took care of ghosting quite nicely.

The player experience is pretty shitty in Rust, though.

I would prefer only add sleeping to DayZ after advanced base building and protection (barricades, locks, etc.) is added and the hackers are taken care of. Otherwise it just ends up being a frustrating experience.

There is a reason why I only have 30 hours clocked in Rust. KoS and hackers ruined that game but, thankfully, they are working on fixing the situation.

p.s. Why is the Rust getting so sexy? I can't believe the things they are doing in Unity. So pretty.