Sign in to follow this  
zeroy

Turn up option for higher FPS?

Anyone tried this and can confirm? If so, which options in particular?

rocket_fps.jpg

If your video card is sufficient to handle higher shadow settings this can be true. I have a gtx 670 and it seems to run better on the highest, and only slightly lower than disabled (1-2) frames maybe.

• Like 1

Some options will take the load off of the CPU and on to the GPU.

Shadows and clouds in particular, in my experience.

Also make sure you have set your GPU ram correctly.

This is old but relevant even though DayZ SA has been greatly modified (engine).

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?101040-ARMA-2-OA-Post-Process-Settings-Decoded&p=1660975&viewfull=1#post1660975

• Like 1

This has been a feature of ArmA graphics since at least A2.

Turning down some qualities and textures moves graphics load from GPU to CPU.

• Like 1

This has been a feature of ArmA graphics since at least A2.

Turning down some qualities and textures moves graphics load from GPU to CPU.

I don't agree with this formulation "graphics load is moving from GPU to CPU". CPU will never do the work that the GPU should do nor the GPU will do the work the CPU should do. I am talking about this game, not video encoding, rendering, etc... I tested my self all possible settings and what is happening is that for higher FPS also a greater processing power is required for CPU too. If a video card is capable to render 60 fps, a CPU must "prepare" 60 frames per second for GPU. If the bottleneck is on the video card, the CPU will enter idle states. If the bottleneck in on the CPU, lowering video settings will make the the GPU capable of rendering let's say 200 fps, but the CPU will not be able to "prepare" so many frames per second to the GPU. So the fps will drop because of the CPU. If you go to higher video settings and give more work to do to video card, the fps is limited by the GPU rendering and CPU is not required to prepare hundreds of frames per second.

Edited by lucianpin

That's quite true. When i have geforce experience set up graphics in ArmA 2 it runs a lot better than when i set it up myself in most cases. Of course it still won't help in towns where everyone needs the performance boost they are looking for. Since it's basically the same engine...