blacklabel79

how do YOU use the...

I'm pretty sure you can do the bow now. I found a long ashwood stick or something, and crafted the bow with rope. This was two weeks ago. I hated the sequence for trying to use the bow. Then again, my memory is crappy, and maybe it was craftable but not useable.

Yes bow can be craftable even now, but does not shoot at all.

I think Hicks mentioned working bow in next patch.

It's a long bolt getting jammed through your body parts at 300 odd fps... Would you rather a bullet go clean through you or a bolt piercing through your body which you have to pull out? The crossbow should be better than it is.

It's a long bolt getting jammed through your body parts at 300 odd fps... Would you rather a bullet go clean through you or a bolt piercing through your body which you have to pull out? The crossbow should be better than it is.

Arrows/bolts should definitely paralyze (or make one a tad bit uncomfortable) and cause blood loss. But I would hate to see them be instant killers like bullets.

Edited by Axel335

I kinda have the feeling that a crossbow bolt is less fatal than a bullet, far less. We do have firearms instead of bows for a reason.

A big hole in someones heart is a big hole.

I could make it with a spoon and it would be just as deadly.

if you are bleeding to death it matters little what made the wound.

ok so...all optics for the m4 fit on the Xbow ( havent tried the backup sight ) and i now have 30 bolts and a ACOG.  Hopefully i find more time today to test the thing propperly.

Another thing: If i find single arrows they are meant for the bow NOT for the crossbow arent they *confused*. Because i cant put them into the arrowcarrier for the crossbow. ( or maybe its bugged and you just cant right now )

I think i will aim for the knees first...

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

A big hole in someones heart is a big hole.

I could make it with a spoon and it would be just as deadly.

if you are bleeding to death it matters little what made the wound.

No doubt. I just feel that the crossbow/bow should not be some kind of one shot kill machine as in Rambo or FarCry 3.

Been killed by them multiple times.  I usually use a double barrel so I'm usually up close and personal with dudes, and I've been out shot by crossbows 2-3 times.  It's a one hit killer, there's a psychological aspect to that knowledge as well.  It's sorta down right fucken scary going against one, unless he misses that first shot.

I think bolts should be craftable or more common though.

mhh i see.

So People dont use it becasue the reload is too Long and Targets useally move too much ? I whould just camp somewhere and shoot the 20 arrows and see what might happen...Also, arrows take only ONE Slot like normal ammo wich is nice.

Only 5 bolts per slot.

20 for both 7.62.

30 for 357 and 5.56

40 for 45 .acp, and 9mm

50 (?) for .22

Quivers take 2 slots for 5 bolts, while 10 rounds M4 mags take 1 slot. And except bolt quivers and larger M4 mags, all mags/clips only take 1 slot and have more shots.

The crossbow defenitly has a (realistic) disavantage over any other weapon regarding ammunition storage.

ok so...all optics for the m4 fit on the Xbow ( havent tried the backup sight ) and i now have 30 bolts and a ACOG.  Hopefully i find more time today to test the thing propperly.

Another thing: If i find single arrows they are meant for the bow NOT for the crossbow arent they *confused*. Because i cant put them into the arrowcarrier for the crossbow. ( or maybe its bugged and you just cant right now )

I think i will aim for the knees first...

For these single bolts that you can't load, from your inventory, right click on the bolt an and select "Eject" or "Empty" (i can't remerber)

Edited by Mathylde

The crossbow should be strong. The Long reload is allready a huge drawback.

I cant remember beign killed by one. Altho someone tried on very very close range and somehow missed.

Quivers take 2 slots for 5 bolts, while 10 rounds M4 mags take 1 slot. And except bolt quivers and larger M4 mags, all mags only take 1 slot.

The crossbow defenitly has a (realistic) disavantage over any other weapon regarding ammunition storage.

Yeah but who carries 10 round m4 mags. I tend to have lots of my beloved yellow boxes and store the larger items in there. 3 Quivers fit.

For these single bolts that you can't load, from your inventory, right click on the bolt an and select "Eject" or "Empty" (i can't remerber)

mhhh i will fiddle around with that later, thank you.

I kinda have the feeling that a crossbow bolt is less fatal than a bullet, far less. We do have firearms instead of bows for a reason.

If you get shot in the chest or the arm or the the leg with a 200lb draweight crossbow from anywhere under 50m you won't walk away from it.

If you get shot in the chest or the arm or the the leg with a 200lb draweight crossbow from anywhere under 50m you won't walk away from it.

Fair enough. But it does not strike me as a very quick death either, unless it hits a major blood vessel. A bolt through your arm/leg would surely cripple but maybe not kill outright. Depends on what the engine is cabable of, of course, if there is no good way of simulating a crippling blow  then sudden death would have to do.

Just one man's thoughts...

• Like 1

Another question.

Does it knock People straight out or is it DED for them ?

Hey Black,

To answer your question that nobody seems to be answering...

Yes, you can use ANY M4 sight on the crossbow.

However, they are all inaccurate due to the fact the crossbow has a max range of about 50-70 meters.

The M4 sights have a minimum range of 100 meters. Even if you try and hit a target at 100 meters, the sight will be off due to the fact that the bolts gravity will be much more than a bullet fired. So it will fall well short. At close range, the bolt fires too high.

So all the sights attach to the crossbow, but none of them are worth using, they will just make you miss. You are much better off using the default sight, which is very good for the range you need.

I used the crossbow for a long time so i know what im talking about. If you want any more info, just let me know.

No doubt. I just feel that the crossbow/bow should not be some kind of one shot kill machine as in Rambo or FarCry 3.

In fact that is exactly what a bow style weapon is.

Unless you are really really fast you don't get two shots with a bow or cross bow.

Now I am thinking more about hunting in this comment as I have never fired a bow at a person and pray never will.

With a deer you get one shot. If you miss with your first bolt or arrow they run and you will be lucky or a master to get another one off before they are out of range.

It should require more skill to hit the "mark" with a one shot kill over a gun. An arrow is a far harder tool to use but should still be capable of a one shot kill.

IMO the bow and crossbow should make far more damage and have far more bone breaking potential than a 7.62 bullet

i guess a 7.62 wound must hurt like i couldn't comprehend, but at least there is no wood in your muscle which breaks when you move it, resulting in splinters tearing up your flesh...

while steel bolts should have a far higher damage value because of the higher mass, a wooden arrow would cripple you far more i guess, but i really have no idea how it actually behaves

but since people tend to go on deer hunt with compound bows and crossbows, and they kill their prey with one shot, i guess an arrow or crossbow bolt should do about the same damage and at least one-hit knock you out, which would make it an ideal weapon for stealth bandits and/or heroes trying to approach people without being in danger

i really would love a ranged weapon that has a one-hit long knock-out timer without killing someone directly

Edited by Zombo

hopefully one day we can poison the arrows with feces or the poison berries shoot a guy and watch him run and slowly die.  I think the crossbow should cause a lot of bleeding and I mean a lot. that's what they are made for as I've read make the animal bleed out before it runs to far away and leaves a nice blood trail to follow and since in dayz humans are less than human and more animal then i'll shoot them  based on how they act like dogs who are rabid and need to be put down. by the way I love the crossbow.

As it should be.

Medieval technology is downright crap compared to modern bullets and firearms.

Well, not necessarily so...

• Like 1

I honestly don't know why people dislike the crossbow. It's a fantastic stealth weapon, so long as you're patient and wait for a shot you are almost guaranteed to hit. I quite commonly grab one and clear out sniper hill in Elektro, since there are usually about 5-6 bandits/groups up there who are completely oblivious to the others being there. None of the normal 'take one out, then hide because everyone else heard the shot', you can take them all out without any of them hearing it. Groups get tricky, but as long as you're in a position to take the shot then hide, it once again comes down to patience.

I agree that the bolts are pretty rare, but you only need one to take down a zombie or a player. As soon as you're able to retrieve them from bodies, this won't be an issue at all if you're using it properly.

Well, not necessarily so...

Whats your point any rifle round would penetrate that vest too and deliver way deadlier internal injuries than the bolt.

I can throw a knife at the vest and guess what it will penetrate too is a knife wound deadlier than a rifle round ? absolutely not.

Ah oh you DayZ...

On my way back a flying squirrel attacked me and i lost all my collection...but by chance and after respawn i found a crosbow and was able to use it on "baddys".

What a fun way to down People :D  I noticed that not much was ruined, compared to the other guy that got downed by a shotgun where everything was ruined, my victims clothes remained in a aceptable state. ONE can in his backpack was ruined tho.

So, i dunno if that was just luck, BUT it whould be nice if the crossbow whould be the weapon that dosent ruin everything the victim wears.

Whats your point any rifle round would penetrate that vest too and deliver way deadlier internal injuries than the bolt.

I can throw a knife at the vest and guess what it will penetrate too is a knife wound deadlier than a rifle round ? absolutely not.

I'm just going to take a moment and say my point wasn't meant to be inflammatory. It was meant to show that a crossbow can be a very powerful weapon, that's all. You don't have to be so hot in the response...

I'm just going to take a moment and say my point wasn't meant to be inflammatory. It was meant to show that a crossbow can be a very powerful weapon, that's all. You don't have to be so hot in the response...

:/ I was not being hostile.

Hope that is not how it came across.