zombiewarpig

Love How Everyone Is An Expert

I've noticed a certain trend with American developers... first it was Kerbal Space Program and now this!

Yeah, I mean 43 million isn't bringing us Star Citizen any faster. Money =/= speed.

i am so looking Forward to star citizen!

I noticed a certain trend in recent years.

People learn they are entitled to everything and demand instant gratification...guess what...the REALWORLD isent working like that.

How much i hate all those Little shits...gah. ( /oldmanrant over )

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

If we get experimental branch to test for couple of weeks and all the new bugs it created got transferred to stable how could you still use the same "alpha" argument to explain this?

If we get experimental branch to test for couple of weeks and all the new bugs it created got transferred to stable how could you still use the same "alpha" argument to explain this?

Because it's not about bugs, it's about adding content.

Beta is for fixing those bugs.  Fuck sakes, learn this before posting in the future.

...after all that has beign said here...i dont have enough Hands for the facepalm galore this post Warrants...srsly...

Lmao, you are the perfect customers for Rocket.

You believe in every crap and made-up story they offer you without even trying to think for a second if it makes any sense.

With all the money they have why can't they employ some more people to fix bugs?

As someone said it's pointless to add 10 more programmers to fix the same thing, 10 more artists to design the same thing....sooooo....don't make them work on the exact same thing, there are a whole host of bugs and other things in the game.

Get a couple of people working on the whole zombie brokenness, others on visual glitches and such. Rather than just a few people tackling all the problems.

More money isn't an instant solution but it does allow for more people to be employed to come up with solutions faster.

At the rate they're going plenty of other games are just going to steal their thunder by the time DayZ hits beta.

Lmao, you are the perfect customers for Rocket.

to be honest iam really happy with my purchase and i have almost 300h on the SA now. I tend to try things out and have fun. I understand development processes and there have been REAL scams compared to how DAYZ was advertiesed....sorry but YOU are cancer. Come back in one year see if you like the game if not...go Play something else..i dont see the Problem here.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

Here is a woman covered in cheese next to a muscle car. Your argument is invalid.

Post it again so I can give it beanz again, lol. +1

1192rfk.jpg

Edited by pilgrim

You would eat the jeep?

No, of course NOT.. he's talking about the sexy TYRES dude

vherlc.jpg

you know how much tread like that COSTS?

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Wait .. people complain about this game?

• Like 2

Your right, I don't know a damn thing about game development. But I know how money and how markets work, and so far I'm not the slightest bit surprised as to what is happening with the slow development

..//..

Please do not consider this post offensive. I thought about your statement and EVENTUALLY it made me laugh. So in good spirit I just want to look at it a moment. I hope I don't make an enemy here. You say:

<< I know how money and how markets work, and so far I'm not the slightest bit surprised as to what is happening with the slow development>>

NOW at first that sounds like it 'makes sense' but the more I look at it the less sense it makes, and I'm really NOT that dumb. So this is interesting, because in fact it makes NO sense at all to me, so I'd like to ask you about it.

You know how money and markets work

You're not surprised by the SA slow development

OK.. now I combine those two statements and try to figure WHAT you mean and I ask myself WHO could say that and WHY ???

a ) You are an armchair commentator pretending to have insider information but have NONE ?

b ) What you say is true and you are personally EXTREMELY RICH ?

c ) You are the director of a small failing company and you are BITTER ?

d ) You are a late-evening chat host seeking to start a controversial "intellectual" discussion with your expert guest

(i.e. you're TROLLING, in fact) ?

It could be one of these, so I was going to ask if there were other possible explanations, because maybe you do KNOW how money and markets work, hmm? hmmm? , and then

I UNDERSTOOD..

... wait .. wait I've got it...

e ) You are actually BILL GATES  !! 

it fits... that's why you don't know about "GAME" development... Yes!

hi Bill! HI! How do you like the game? Hey DUDES...  - its BILL THE BIG 'G' HISSELF - it's autograph time!

In case I'm wrong, please explain what you mean by the sentence:

<< I know how money and how markets work, and so far I'm not the slightest bit surprised as to what is happening with the slow development>>

thanx

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

Please do not consider this post offensive. I thought about your statement and EVENTUALLY it made me laugh. So in good spirit I just want to look at it a moment. I hope I don't make an enemy here. You say:

NOW at first that sounds like it 'makes sense' but the more I look at it the less sense it makes, and I'm really NOT that dumb. So this is interesting, because in fact it makes NO sense at all to me, so I'd like to ask you about it.

You know how money and markets work

You're not surprised by the SA slow development

OK.. now I combine those two statements and try to figure WHAT you mean and I ask myself WHO could say that and WHY ???

a ) You are an armchair commentator pretending to have insider information but have NONE ?

b ) What you say is true and you are personally EXTREMELY RICH ?

c ) You are the director of a small failing company and you are BITTER ?

d ) You are a late-evening chat host seeking to start a controversial "intellectual" discussion with your expert guest

(i.e. you're TROLLING, in fact) ?

It could be one of these, so I was going to ask if there were other possible explanations, because maybe you do KNOW how money and markets work, hmm? hmmm? , and then

I UNDERSTOOD..

... wait .. wait I've got it...

e ) You are actually BILL GATES  !! 

it fits... that's why you don't know about "GAME" development... Yes!

hi Bill! HI! How do you like the game? Hey DUDES...  - its BILL THE BIG 'G' HISSELF - it's autograph time!

In case I'm wrong, please explain what you mean by the sentence:

thanx

xx pilgrim

Ill simplify it. Lets say dayz sold 1 million copies for simplicity sake, it is much more then that now. That equals 30 million dollars in revenue.

How much of that 30 million do you think is going back into dayz? A game that has already satisfied it's market? If you want to buy dayz, you already bought it. There will never be a huge peak in sales as there was at the start. 

Now I'm going to be very generous and say that 25%-35% will go back into development, but I would not be surprised if it is as low as 20%. 

They will never stop development, that would cause BIS to lose face, but they will definitely not work at their most optimal speed, that's for sure. 

Basically there are no advantages to speed up dev process, absolutely none. While slower dev process means they save more money which means they create better products.

maybe I'm wrong about dayz, hopefully I'm wrong, but so far..... 

maybe I'm wrong about dayz, hopefully I'm wrong, but so far..... 

Hello there

yes, yes you are.

Patience will prove me correct. But we'll have to wait.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

yes, yes you are.

Patience will prove me correct. But we'll have to wait.

Rgds

LoK

Just              on                 waiting.                on           world          change. 

We            keep           waiting,                Waiting        the               to 

-John Mayer :P

.. //..

Ok, thanx for the explanation, I still don't see it - but let's plug in an example. A funny little game (I didn't like it)  that came out in 2009 was called Minecraft.. bit of an odd game, unusual, not good graphics.. it caught on for some reason, maybe because the graphics were so crap:

<<minecraft was publicly released for the PC on May 17, 2009, as a developmental alpha version and, after gradual updates, was published as a full release version on November 18, 2011>>

ok - so it spent 2.5 years as an Alpha... hmm.. and STILL with crappy graphics, AND idiot gameplay, hehehehe

BUT by 2014 - that's "now", it has sold over 14 million copies for PC

and 35 million copies total

How does this fit into your "simplified" theory of "satisfied market"  game development?

Just as an example? To help me understand.

• Like 2

Ok, thanx for the explanation, I still don't see it - but let's plug in an example. A funny little game (I didn't like it)  that came out in 2009 was called Minecraft.. bit of an odd game, unusual, not good graphics.. it caught on for some reason, maybe because the graphics were so crap:

<<minecraft was publicly released for the PC on May 17, 2009, as a developmental alpha version and, after gradual updates, was published as a full release version on November 18, 2011>>

ok - so it spent 2.5 years as an Alpha... hmm.. and STILL with crappy graphics, AND idiot gameplay, hehehehe

How does this fit into your "simplified" theory of "satisfied market"  game development?

Hello there

Who needs facts when you have naysayers and speculation?

The development is forging ahead, but its easier to suspect and find fault than it is to praise and support.

I think if DAYZ were such a "rip off" or lazy build the sectors news agencies would be all over us like a cheap suit.

Funny how that's NOT happening, This should tell you something about the general state of play.

Development may not be happening as fast as some might like, but those folk on the whole have little idea of the development process or of many business practices in general. And we need to take that into account. These folk see "DLC"''s being pumped out for AA games and assume its that "easy".

Or worse, compare it to the mod and its spin off's.

rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Market has now been satisfied for MC, the mass mods had allowed it to be much more broad, and appeal to many more people.  Of course right now MC by itself would be losing money if the devs kept working on it because few would continue to buy it.

*Note when I say losing money, I mean by: in a month they would spend more then they would receive* 

Hence why they created realms, a 13$/month continuous income source that could allow them to develop indefinitely while still making money. market is full, but they keep milking it.

Also, while my development knowledge is quite limited, I'm quite sure that dev cost for minecraft is not as large as that for dayz. And minecraft even in it's alpha stage was not that buggy, the only thing that changed was more and more content. Dayz does not have that luxury as it is currently fighting against the engine. (Thisis not dayz's fault, it is just the way the engine is)

Lastly minecraft is so huge, broad and well known it is allowed to "bend the rules" (even thought it does not, as it implemented realms to continue making profit) It is kind of like apple, a company that can sell their phones for 700$ bi-yearly with out a care in the world. 

Dayz is not a horrible game, and I'm sure most of what is promised will arrive (sooner or later) but dev process could be a little faster, and from a  business perspective I understand why they are not. 

Edited by xX_fr0st-w0lf_Xx

Market has now been satisfied for MC, the mass mods had allowed it to be much more broad, and appeal to many more people.  Of course right now MC by itself would be losing money if the devs kept working on it because few would continue to buy it.

*Note when I say losing money, I mean by: in a month they would spend more then they would receive* 

Hence why they created realms, a 13$/month continuous income source that could allow them to develop indefinitely while still making money. market is full, but they keep milking it.

Also, while my development knowledge is quite limited, I'm quite sure that dev cost for minecraft is not as large as that for dayz. And minecraft even in it's alpha stage was not that buggy, the only thing that changed was more and more content. Dayz does not have that luxury as it is currently fighting against the engine. (Thisis not dayz's fault, it is just the way the engine is)

Lastly minecraft is so huge, broad and well known it is allowed to "bend the rules" (even thought it does not, as it implemented realms to continue making profit) It is kind of like apple, a company that can sell their phones for 700$ bi-yearly with out a care in the world. 

Dayz is not a horrible game, and I'm sure most of what is promised will arrive (sooner or later) but dev process could be a little faster, and from a  business perspective I understand why they are not. 

I understand your point of a saturated market and the inability to generate new revenue. However I would say this much. Out of all my friends that I played dayz mod with....less than 50% have actually bought the SA. They have watched vids and read reviews, even undergone preassure from me to get it lol. They still haven't.

I think theres a lot more money to be made with the SA. A lot of people aren't interested in buying an incomplete alpha. They want a full game to enjoy, and are happy to wait. I think there is a lot more market potential for dayz SA, but to tap it they will have to deliver :)

BI as a company dosent seem (to me) to be about quickly churning out a product. They support and nurture there games so that years down the line they are still being played and added to. Wasn't that long ago they released the ACR dlc for A2. And the fact Arma 3 has gone through alpha....and beta....yet just the other week got a 700mb map update is a testament to this :)

The SKY is Falling ....................  Chicken Little

True Fucking Story

I've noticed a certain trend with American developers... first it was Kerbal Space Program and now this!

DayZ developers are mostly Euro XD

An EX is a has been, and a SPERT is a drip under pressure..

Hello there

Who needs facts when you have naysayers and speculation?

The development is forging ahead, but its easier to suspect and find fault than it is to praise and support.

I think if DAYZ were such a "rip off" or lazy build the sectors news agencies would be all over us like a cheap suit.

Funny how that's NOT happening, This should tell you something about the general state of play.

Development may not be happening as fast as some might like, but those folk on the whole have little idea of the development process or of many business practices in general. And we need to take that into account. These folk see "DLC"''s being pumped out for AA games and assume its that "easy".

Or worse, compare it to the mod and its spin off's.

rgds

LoK

Well put. Despite all my differences with loyal "rocket fans" about over-all game direction, Id rather a quality product tomorrow then a rushed cash grab today; thats left for dead (no pun intended) within a years time.

I do think however that the devs should try to mimmic the Gameplay of the official mod in as many ways as possible. it is THAT very game play that went viral and that we all all burnt hundreds or even thousands of hours on. I know some "survival purists" may not like things like vehicles and effective military loot but both were an enormous part of the mod and imho if that is ignored a considerable portion of the playerbase that migrated from mod will walk away just as quickly.

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 1

Nobody is expert, I recently reevaluated my personal bias (in all aspect of life) one of which is to only notice evidence or facts that suit my personal beliefs. Really like any rational personal I should seek not only evidence for my own hypothesis but evidence that can support other competing hypothesis.

Taking that into account, I noticed that BI other recent main game release ( Arma 3). Which followed a similar development schedule show evidence of continuous growth, and more so now that it ever did on its alpha release .

http://steamcharts.com/app/107410#All

Ok its not sales figures but number of players playing each day continues to grow some of which are probably new players, Notable peaks of players at each significant milestone ( March, June and release September ). Given that BI have this and more accurate sales data than we can ever hold, they my see a growth pattern that contradicts common sense.

Another important fact to understand is this is an independent studio, they are not beholden to any publisher, they are not chasing the corporate dollar. Personally, as a flash game developer i don't do it for the money I do it for the challenge of making games and the thrill of creation, give BI credit and expect them to do the same.

I am no fan, but I realised that I wasn't been fair either, BI have history of continuously supporting their products and have a track record of delivering using this development model. OK I have concerns over their games, I worried about network latency the most and possibly the overall direction of dayz. But I can be certain they never intend to rip us off, and that everyone working on the game wants it to be the best it can be.

• Like 1