Sign in to follow this  
Fuerii

ballistics protection

Is the press vest and ballistic helmet the only clothing with ballistic protection? I saw some very detailed testing about melee damage on YouTube but nothing about ballistics.

I am wondering if I should be doing anything shirt/pant wise to maximize my chances in a firefight.

Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Keep items in your shirt/pants. Got shot in the leg today by an SKS, pristine pants, no items in them, Instant dead.

Also, For some reason, Beanies EAT mosin rounds. 2 occasions I've been headshot while wearing a beanie. Both times I've lived.

That's interesting because when it comes to melee damage It's been proven that the fewer items you have in something the more melee hits it can take. I wish the melee science guys would test this! I'm almost always full up anyway so it doesn't matter:p

My anecdotal experience is the more layers of clothing you have the better.  A backpack/shirt/holster or vest.  Any sort of hat+glasses/mask whatever, all seems to stack to a degree.  I personally go for style rather than protection, but it's just my experience from shooting people.

They all offer some sort of protection so if you can stack them, then you're better off.

Items in inventory do seem to affect ballistic damage as well, as the guys who take the most shots usually have a lot of crap.  I die pretty fast usually, wearing a minimum of gear.

It would be nice if some one did some official tests though, I agree.

Clothing absorbs some damage despite having no ballistic protection. If you're wearing nothing in your torso area, there's a high chance of getting OHKO'd by higher caliber rounds. Clothing condition affects both inherent damage absorption and ballistic protection effectiveness. Ballistics protection works in a special way; as long as the clothing has some condition left, it'll absorb damage in a nice way. A pristine Press Vest for example will block shots that hit the vest's hitbox and prevent the damage from being spread to other parts of the body until it hits ruined where it then becomes useless (I don't remember what happens if you take a large caliber and put it against a vest that's almost completely deteriorated, sorry). If you get shot in the press vest and it has enough condition to absorb 100% of the damage, your shirt and backpack will not take any damage.

http://dayzdb.com/items

Use this website to see ballistic protection stats. Here are a few things I can think up with ballistic protection from minor to high.

>anti-stab vest

>rider's jacket

>pilot's helmet

>ballistic helmet

>press vest

Here are some results from my ballistics tests with pristine items:

Ballistics helmet: absorbs 5.56 and below

absorbs 10 rounds of .22

Note: Ballistics helmet protects entire face.

Press Vest:

3-5 5.56x45

2 buckshot

1 7.62x51mm

10+ .22 (press vest stayed pristine, stopped bothering)

1-2 7.62x39

3-5 .45 ACP

Note: It's possible to have shots hit your shirt layer and bypass the vest depending on where the shot lands. 

I didn't exactly have good recording ethics and ballistics results are actually pretty random so take these numbers as you will. Didn't test 9mm and don't care enough to set it up.

On inherent damage absorption: Ditch ruined clothes as soon as you can. Damage goes straight through the clothing and into you. Getting shot in ruined clothing is like getting shot when naked, you have a high chance of getting OHKO'd by higher calibers as there's no absorption going on. 

WOBO has a video showing that a person getting punched takes more damage the more stuff they have in their inventory (contrary to popular belief). He also had a video about the Press Vest being useless, but I disagreed with it because snippets of the game's source showed the vest inherits the 2.0 ballistic protection of the unreleased ballistics vest. It has ballistics protection like the ballistics helmet (which is proven to actually work against 5.56 and below), so those videos aren't correct. 

Edited by hotcakes
  • Like 1

Just gonna wait for Gews to chime in on this, he always seems to come up with the answers, he's awesome at this kinda stuff

Just gonna wait for Gews to chime in on this, he always seems to come up with the answers, he's awesome at this kinda stuff

I believe hotcakes did an amazing job...how much more do you need? I can confirm the press vest works 1st hand and I have seen most duppers use it so it must be good and spot on info...thank you for the research hotcakes.

I believe hotcakes did an amazing job...how much more do you need? I can confirm the press vest works 1st hand and I have seen most duppers use it so it must be good and spot on info...thank you for the research hotcakes.

Never said he didn't, I've just found when Gews does these types of things it borders on info overload, when I get home me and some squad mates will put this to the test.

where does the press vest spawn yet to see one ... super rare?

Train station and rify. Ultra mega super uber rare

And by the way, wobo proved that less items is better when testing the back packs. He goes so far as to suggest ditching unneeded items.

If I got this stuff wrong let me know. The more I think about it the more conflicting memories I have about those videos.

where does the press vest spawn yet to see one ... super rare?

I have seen it a bunch on top of police cars by the siren and lights, the stab vest is there too...they are over looked because they blend in with the light siren set...also the police station has dropped a few for me.

For some reason every time I wear a ballistic helmet I wind up dead from a single Mosin shot to the head. It's a running joke in my unit- everyone else will just get knocked out with a ballistic helmet but Ikka will die. It's the reason I now just dress with class, no mil gear but snazzy civvie duds.

Lulz, Just stuff ammo cans or pistols or Kevlar helmets in all your slots.

I've been shot by a Mosin then shot 5 times by a M4 then was shot twice with a shotgun. I didn't even bleed.

Happens all the time..

Edited by RyBo

He also had a video about the Press Vest being useless, but I disagreed with it because snippets of the game's source showed the vest inherits the 2.0 ballistic protection of the unreleased ballistics vest. It has ballistics protection like the ballistics helmet (which is proven to actually work against 5.56 and below), so those videos aren't correct.

Nope, he said the anti-stab vest was useless. Antistab seems to mean antibleed.