Bambi Population Control

Yesterday I played the Mod after 200 hours of Standalone.

I tried the mod again after 600 h of standalone (yea Im crazy). It was refreshingly hard...but somehow unbearable. I was sick and tired of playing cat and mouse with zombies because melee is flimsy. And I rediscovered all the other flaws that made me go to SA.

I came back humbled to SA and with an understanding what BI really achieved so far in the SA. (Better FPS, viewdistance, Animations, Charactermodels, Inventory, Clothes, Melee, Damagecharts, Vaulting over fences (without a 2hand weapon), mostly solid buildingrendering in the distance/while scoped...and Im certain I could name more had I played more ours of the mod)

• Like 1

The SA view distance is a thing of beauty.  It constantly makes me wish I had an m107 from the mod.  Only thing is players don't even render in past the network bubble, which is some where around 1000m.

Game looks gorgeous in general though compared to the mod.

For me, the standalone has failed to recapture that feel of the original mod. As cool as the new stuff is, the game doesn't feel "right". It simply doesn't improve in the areas that made DayZ, DayZ. In fact, I would say it's considerably far behind.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

Alpha aside i agree with rista. the team seems to be wanting to go in a more "bare bones" direction thene even official hive Mod was. I dont feel like they are really trying to re-capture the gameplay that the mod had but instead trying to create a whole new animal; Which would be fine if it werent being more or less marketed and named as the sucessor to the official mod.

Alpha aside i agree with rista. the team seems to be wanting to go in a more "bare bones" direction thene even official hive Mod was. I dont feel like they are really trying to re-capture the gameplay that the mod had but instead trying to create a whole new animal; Which would be fine if it werent being more or less marketed and named as the sucessor to the official mod.

Sorry but I don't understand, I too am a DayZ mod veteran from the days of it being black screen simulator because every server was rammed and spawning with makarov and coyote pack. What is it that you miss from the mod that wont be coming to SA? The abundance of weapons? The horrid inventory screen? Blood bag to instantly replenish your health? Zero animations for eating and drinking?

I loved the mod but for me I loved the survival aspect, which I believe the SA to be more inclined towards. I always see you saying there taking it in the wrong direction, but not why. Unless I missed it. What do you mean by "bare bones".

Sorry but I don't understand, I too am a DayZ mod veteran from the days of it being black screen simulator because every server was rammed and spawning with makarov and coyote pack. What is it that you miss from the mod that wont be coming to SA? The abundance of weapons? The horrid inventory screen? Blood bag to instantly replenish your health? Zero animations for eating and drinking?

I loved the mod but for me I loved the survival aspect, which I believe the SA to be more inclined towards. I always see you saying there taking it in the wrong direction, but not why. Unless I missed it. What do you mean by "bare bones".

By bare bones i mean it seems to me that the SA wants to you go batty just to keep breating. imho the Mod had a nice balance. There was survival- hunger, thirst, sepsis. but also; there was guns that did a lot of damage and they werent annoying scatter hoses like the M4 in the SA. the hueys has fdor mounted M240s. barracks that spawned LMGs. and all thins things freaking lethal. Nothing in SA comes close to the feelings i got looting NWA late a night with the clan and with one CRACK someone id dead before the body drops to the floor by an M107 1000M+ awy and everone dives for cover. next thing you know you hear a ural and an all out clan war errupts at the airfield, all the while trying to avoid the horde of zed rushing you from all tha racket you made!

I dont feel like that gameplay is going to be prevalent in the SA, that theyd rather us sneak around avoiding any kind of aggro or combat. Mod had both in ample measure that could have been build upon. SA seems to want to strip it down to survival basics.

By bare bones i mean it seems to me that the SA wants to you go batty just to keep breating. imho the Mod had a nice balance. There was survival- hunger, thirst, sepsis. but also; there was guns that did a lot of damage and they werent annoying scatter hoses like the M4 in the SA. the hueys has fdor mounted M240s. barracks that spawned LMGs. and all thins things freaking lethal. Nothing in SA comes close to the feelings i got looting NWA late a night with the clan and with one CRACK someone id dead before the body drops to the floor by an M107 1000M+ awy and everone dives for cover. next thing you know you hear a ural and an all out clan war errupts at the airfield, all the while trying to avoid the horde of zed rushing you from all tha racket you made!

I dont feel like that gameplay is going to be prevalent in the SA, that theyd rather us sneak around avoiding any kind of aggro or combat. Mod had both in ample measure that could have been build upon. SA seems to want to strip it down to survival basics.

Ahh I see where your coming from now, I don't 100% agree with you though but that's just my opinion. I think the game should have more focus on survival and with a deep health system along with disease and injuries, I want more things to worry about killing me other than another player hiding in a tree. I agree with the guns being piss poor (performance wise, I love the way they look) and also think they should be much more accurate and deadly like they were in the mod the M4 for example is a joke compared to its mod counterpart, but I'm hoping they plan more work on this in the future and pray to god they scrap the way attachments effect your weapons. I also like the direction they are going with having more civilian type weaponry but I'm sure they will add much more (hopefully no .50 cals though).

We have to remember that we aren't playing the game for fun or as a complete experience but for testing purposes, in other words most of the game is still incomplete. A lot of the fixes and tweaks to damage and balancing fun with authentic will come at a later stage, when they have more content to work with and more of the core engines tweaks are complete.

I'm not trying to say the game will become what you want it to be because everybody has there own opinions, but you cant judge something until it is finished or more in line with the final product. 

I hope it does turn out to be something you can enjoy though, and if not maybe the mod community can help out. Personally I love the SA and the direction its heading. 

Edited by Ricky Spanish
  • Like 1

Ahh I see where your coming from now, I don't 100% agree with you though but that's just my opinion. I think the game should have more focus on survival and with a deep health system along with disease and injuries, I want more things to worry about killing me other than another player hiding in a tree. I agree with the guns being piss poor (performance wise, I love the way they look) and also think they should be much more accurate and deadly like they were in the mod the M4 for example is a joke compared to its mod counterpart, but I'm hoping they plan more work on this in the future and pray to god they scrap the way attachments effect your weapons. I also like the direction they are going with having more civilian type weaponry but I'm sure they will add much more (hopefully no .50 cals though).

We have to remember that we aren't playing the game for fun or as a complete experience but for testing purposes, in other words most of the game is still incomplete. A lot of the fixes and tweaks to damage and balancing fun with authentic will come at a later stage, when they have more content to work with and more of the core engines tweaks are complete.

I'm not trying to say the game will become what you want it to be because everybody has there own opinions, but you cant judge something until it is finished or more in line with the final product. 

I hope it does turn out to be something you can enjoy though, and if not maybe the mod community can help out. Personally I love the SA and the direction its heading. 

+1 i havent written it off, tho my hopes for a "polished version of the mod" are fading fast. I don't want any of the medical or health stuff taken away- I just want the PvP side to recieve equal atention with good balistics, varied weapon selection, and the opportunity to have the moments again we your whole squad can kill or be killed by another in mere seconds by a well planned ambush.

I openly admit and am proud to be a PvP oriented player. we walk a line more akin to that of pirates from the days of sail. most live a charmed life and die young. you go from rags to riches then get your face blowd' off by the next guy but such is our path, and its one that keeps me excited and wanting to play.

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 1

+1 i havent written it off, tho my hopes for a "polished version of the mod" are fading fast. I don't want any of the medical or health stuff taken away- I just want the PvP side to recieve equal atention with good balistics, varied weapon selection, and the opportunity to have the moments again we your whole squad can kill or be killed by another in mere seconds by a well planned ambush.

I openly admit and am proud to be a PvP oriented player. we walk a line more akin to that of pirates from the days of sail. most live a charmed life and die young. you go from rags to riches then get your face blowd' off by the next guy but such is our path, and its one that keeps me excited and wanting to play.

In the ballistics department I couldn't agree more, I miss the feeling my M4 gave me in the mod good old reliable in most situations. In the SA however I am always worried its going to let me down. I too hope they don't try and force people away from PvP as its an important aspect of the game, where would the fun be if you weren't paranoid of getting your face removed by a 7.62. I play many roles in DayZ from 6 man strong psycho bandit squad to timid lone fresh spawn with a trick or two up his sleeve lol    

Once again people compare a mod to a game....*ugh* but on the other side of the spectrum, yes the mod was fun WHEN it first came out and not when all the illogical community changes happened.

Mod was terrible. Yes, zombies are harder, but loot is even more abundant than in StandAlone. Also that horrible graphics, lightning and animations... I don't like people who religiously ignore all the flaws and keep praising mod as 100 times better than StandAlone. It is not better. It was good, until stand alone came along and reached patch 34... then mod became just a past. It has now less content, buildings are un-enterable. It doesn't even look like open world game anymore. Just a big big one room.

Inb4 people swearing at me how stupid I am for not liking things that they like.

less content bullshit I can't hunt I can't build a fire and I can't build structures or bases or drive a car or repair a car or use stealth theres no diseases so no boiling water etc,In the mod zeds actually DO NOT walk through walls and take headshots to kill and its not a total deathmatch clusterfuck full of kids hmmmmm SA has clothing and clothing and a few guns ooo it has a few more towns which are empty of people the maps bigger which no one even explores theres no hunting no cars barely any crafting no building structures and the FPS is atrocious at best. yes I agree one day SA will surpass the mod but as of now SA is laughable its like the old gi-joe action figures you dress up your toy then go kill other toys that's all there is to do if that's all I wanted was to kill folks and customize my toy then I would just play battlefield. the mod is actually FUN, SA is just a pain in the ass and its not because of difficulty like dark souls etc but because in the state its in now it nothing but a sand box with one toy and its not the shovel or the dumptruck its the cat feces that's been buried there. oh and your not stupid but I still had to flame you and tell what I like.

Edited by gannon46

Once again people compare a mod to a game....*ugh* but on the other side of the spectrum, yes the mod was fun WHEN it first came out and not when all the illogical community changes happened.

personally i never expected the SA to be equal to the mod on day one. i just want it to move towards the same type of gameplay mod vets know and love.

personally i never expected the SA to be equal to the mod on day one. i just want it to move towards the same type of gameplay mod vets know and love.

But, who exactly are the mod vets? People like me or you who have played since day one? or people who say their vets of the mod just because they have played it since the mods for the mod came out? Not trying to be mean I am just wondering who exactly is displayed as the real vets. :P

But, who exactly are the mod vets? People like me or you who have played since day one? or people who say their vets of the mod just because they have played it since the mods for the mod came out? Not trying to be mean I am just wondering who exactly is displayed as the real vets. :P

AKA people who played the mod in vanilla public hive times. Back when cherno was full of people yelling friendly followed by makarov and double barrel shots, and in north there was a land full of dangers, m107's, crashed choppers and adrenaline-soaked firefights.

Things that the standalone will never ever be able to achieve.

Edited by lipemr

AKA people who played the mod in vanilla public hive times. Back when cherno was full of people yelling friendly followed by makarov and double barrel shots, and in north there was a land full of dangers, m107's, crashed choppers and adrenaline-soaked firefights.

Things that the standalone will never ever be able to achieve.

How do you know that? Are you the project manager or a genie? No, your not. We aren't even half way done with the alpha stage, calm your freaking tits.

Viable guns with ammo were actually way easier to come by in vanilla DayZ (even mods like DayZero). The mod gave you viable low tier weapons that could be obtained from low traffic loot spots such as barns, pubs, and deer-stands. The mod was scarier because people were armed more frequently.

In SA it seems like players are funneled into a handful of high value towns (ones that have multiple piano buildings, police buildings, etc), where as in the mod you could first loot the barn outside of town; get an Enfield, and then progress around the map from there. There was a certain dynamic to the way you got geared in the mod, that when compared to SA feels way more static.

TLDR:

SA needs low tier guns that spawn in barns.

Viable guns with ammo were actually way easier to come by in vanilla DayZ (even mods like DayZero). The mod gave you viable low tier weapons that could be obtained from low traffic loot spots such as barns, pubs, and deer-stands. The mod was scarier because people were armed more frequently.

In SA it seems like players are funneled into a handful of high value towns (ones that have multiple piano buildings, police buildings, etc), where as in the mod you could first loot the barn outside of town; get an Enfield, and then progress around the map from there. There was a certain dynamic to the way you got geared in the mod, that when compared to SA feels way more static.

TLDR:

SA needs low tier guns that spawn in barns.

mod had low, medium and high tier guns. For the first we had lee enfields, winchesters that we could find in barns, etc, then we had the m4's and AKs/AKMs tha spawned in fire stations and deer stands, and then we had the high tier that only spawned in the airfields and chopper crashes.

It drew people up that had enough gear up north, where you would get squad fights, ambushes, etc. In standalone you can find a m4 in a supermarket or a construction site, without plans of modifying it anytime soon (AKA they'll not even look at it till beta, and that's a loooooong way). It's just stupid.

In 1.8 they kinda screwed up the loot system, put too much food and drink in, made the game too easy.

How do you know that? Are you the project manager or a genie? No, your not. We aren't even half way done with the alpha stage, calm your freaking tits.

and again, you yell "alpha".

Takes no genius to see that the game development is going on a very different way than the mod, with arcade ballistics, 'enchanted' attachments, pinpoint accuracy 130 year old guns, punches that hurt more than a fireaxe, etc.

Sounds awful.

Zombies are way more difficult in the standalone and being tactical still has it's uses, oh and one more thing

"ALPHER"

Really? He just said that he doesn't give a shit about all the ALPHA shit you throw at him.

Really? He just said that he doesn't give a shit about all the ALPHA shit you throw at him.

:facepalm: I was joking

You are shit at making jokes in that case.

Well it was more taking the piss. Next time I will consult you, the king of comedy, before I make a post if that makes you happy.

• Like 1

and again, you yell "alpha".

Takes no genius to see that the game development is going on a very different way than the mod, with arcade ballistics, 'enchanted' attachments, pinpoint accuracy 130 year old guns, punches that hurt more than a fireaxe, etc.

1. Ballistics right now are placeholders, 2. "Enchanted" Attachments yes is quite mind boggling (Modding will fix that later), 3. 130 yr old guns? What are you talking about? None of the guns are 130+ yrs old. The "Incident" takes place I think 20 years after. Also, why complain now about it? It was the same story for the mod. *facepalm*, 4. The melee damage system is still being worked on if you ever read the patch notes.

You don't bother to read anything do you? 

• Like 2