Sign in to follow this  
Hikurac

Simulation.

So I have been watching this wonderful series, DayZ - The Diary of Isaac: 

It had me thinking of some old ideas I had while playing the mod. These are all hypothetical features, as i'm sure most people would hate them due to their harsh and inconvenient nature.

Here's the idea's:

-Zombies can "infect" players by making them bleed. Once infected, their motor controls would decrease, they may fire off weapons on accident, lots of stomach issues, and lastly after about 2-3 hours an AI would take over and attempt to kill other players in the area. There is a cure to the virus, however it is extremely rare due amount of people that tried to obtain it.

-Out of game chat programs are a bannable offense and the community discourages meta-gaming (Impossible, I know).

-When a player begins the game, he is sent to a random server, to which they cannot switch until death. Upon death the player is forced to re-spawn in another, random server and cannot return to the previous one. At least not for a very very long period of time.

Just Imagine:

You have been playing for a while and you have met another player. You don't know him outside of the game but you promise to play with him at specific times on certain days. You've spent the majority of your DayZ hours with him so far.

Well, just like on any other day, a horde of zeds attack the both of you. You decide to shoot them, as using melee is too risky. You friend uses up all of his ammo and you have very little left, but the horde is dead. Once you think the fight is over, one last zombie comes running towards you while you are reloading. Your friend pulls out his axe and begins to attack the zed, as a last resort to save you and he takes down the zombie.

Finally the battle is over. You perform your usual checks on each-other to see if either one of you are bleeding and infected. Yet your friend seems reluctant to take off his shirt. You keep asking him to and finally he finally removes his top. He has been cut, and he is infected... He tells you to put him down but you refuse, and instead you both embark on a search for the cure. It's been thirty minutes and his stomach is making some very odd noises. After an hour he begins losing motor controls and accidentally fires off his M4 multiple times, almost killing you in the process. So he throws it away. After two hours he starts throwing up and collapsing repeatedly, it is clear that he is going to die. He asks you again to put him down, as he doesn't want to turn into a zed and attack you as well. You know its the only option.

You take him to a tall hill and you both sit down on the top, looking at the horizon landscape. You both begin talking a little bit about your adventures, knowing he doesn't have much time left. After about half an hour, he is trying to talk but he keeps throwing up blood, effectively cutting off direct chat when it occurs. You stand up while he is talking and pull out your revolver. As you walk behind him and begin loading the round; you both start laughing with a bleak tone, stating how much fun you've had surviving alongside each other. A long pause of silence occurs, he begins making savage noises, however you can still hear his voice as he says his goodbyes. You raise your revolver up and he stands up and turns around. His face, now unfamiliar and feral. His arms rise up to attack and you squeeze the trigger...

What was once your friend, is now a lifeless corpse at your feet. All those hours spent eating together, fighting together, and surviving together, now just memories. There was no meta-gaming so you can't contact him, if he re-spawns it will be in another server, and he cannot come back to you. His existence has effectively been removed from your life as you know it, all because of a bullet, fired from your gun. This is a true apocalypse moment, and this is what I want my DayZ experience to be like.

Alright, so that's my little idea and story to back it up. Yes I do realize it will most likely never happen and I never expect it to. Just a little thought that I wanted to share with anyone that might be interested.

• Like 1

So I have been watching this wonderful series, DayZ - The Diary of Isaac: 

It had me thinking of some old ideas I had while playing the mod. These are all hypothetical features, as i'm sure most people would hate them due to their harsh and inconvenient nature.

Here's the idea's:

-Zombies can "infect" players by making them bleed. Once infected, their motor controls would decrease, they may fire off weapons on accident, lots of stomach issues, and lastly after about 2-3 hours an AI would take over and attempt to kill other players in the area. There is a cure to the virus, however it is extremely rare due amount of people that tried to obtain it.

-Out of game chat programs are a bannable offense and the community discourages meta-gaming (Impossible, I know).

-When a player begins the game, he is sent to a random server, to which they cannot switch until death. Upon death the player is forced to re-spawn in another, random server and cannot return to the previous one. At least not for a very very long period of time.

Just Imagine:

You have been playing for a while and you have met another player. You don't know him outside of the game but you promise to play with him at specific times on certain days. You've spent the majority of your DayZ hours with him so far.

Well, just like on any other day, a horde of zeds attack the both of you. You decide to shoot them, as using melee is too risky. You friend uses up all of his ammo and you have very little left, but the horde is dead. Once you think the fight is over, one last zombie comes running towards you while you are reloading. Your friend pulls out his axe and begins to attack the zed, as a last resort to save you and he takes down the zombie.

Finally the battle is over. You perform your usual checks on each-other to see if either one of you are bleeding and infected. Yet your friend seems reluctant to take off his shirt. You keep asking him to and finally he finally removes his top. He has been cut, and he is infected... He tells you to put him down but you refuse, and instead you both embark on a search for the cure. It's been thirty minutes and his stomach is making some very odd noises. After an hour he begins losing motor controls and accidentally fires off his M4 multiple times, almost killing you in the process. So he throws it away. After two hours he starts throwing up and collapsing repeatedly, it is clear that he is going to die. He asks you again to put him down, as he doesn't want to turn into a zed and attack you as well. You know its the only option.

You take him to a tall hill and you both sit down on the top, looking at the horizon landscape. You both begin talking a little bit about your adventures, knowing he doesn't have much time left. After about half an hour, he is trying to talk but he keeps throwing up blood, effectively cutting off direct chat when it occurs. You stand up while he is talking and pull out your revolver. As you walk behind him and begin loading the round; you both start laughing with a bleak tone, stating how much fun you've had surviving alongside each other. A long pause of silence occurs, he begins making savage noises, however you can still hear his voice as he says his goodbyes. You raise your revolver up and he stands up and turns around. His face, now unfamiliar and feral. His arms rise up to attack and you squeeze the trigger...

What was once your friend, is now a lifeless corpse at your feet. All those hours spent eating together, fighting together, and surviving together, now just memories. There was no meta-gaming so you can't contact him, if he re-spawns it will be in another server, and he cannot come back to you. His existence has effectively been removed from your life as you know it, all because of a bullet, fired from your gun. This is a true apocalypse moment, and this is what I want my DayZ experience to be like.

Alright, so that's my little idea and story to back it up. Yes I do realize it will most likely never happen and I never expect it to. Just a little thought that I wanted to share with anyone that might be interested.

The first idea is good.  The random server is stupid just for the fact I rent one and If I can't even play on it well, that's just stupid.   And you will never be able to ban third party chat software.

Oh gosh, Please no..

I guess you don't like playing with friends or something?

• Like 1

Oh gosh, Please no..

I guess you don't like playing with friends or something?

No I love playing with my friends, and yes I know it's a stupid idea. It was the only plausible thing I could think of to make people truly feel like they are loosing someone when death occurs, as chances are they would never meet again. With this implemented tents could no longer be used as "re-supply stations" when someone dies. It would also make persistent equipment (vehicles, etc) feel much more important and personal, knowing that you wouldn't be able to have it after death. Overall people would simply care more about trying not to die. None of this is serious, its just a thought to hopefully spark a better idea in someone else's mind.

Edited by Hikurac
  • Like 1

Only reasonable solution to 3rd party communication apps is to mirror all in game chat from teamspeak in game.

Even people will still be unhappy they will want to remain silent even though they are communicating with people and coordinating strategy.

Only reasonable solution to 3rd party communication apps is to mirror all in game chat from teamspeak in game.

Even people will still be unhappy they will want to remain silent even though they are communicating with people and coordinating strategy.

Yeah as for 3rd party applications, I wish they couldn't be used in DayZ. I mean I love Teamspeak, but it just feels like i'm breaking the game when I can communicate miles away, without a radio, and without letting others hear me. Me and some friends actually tried playing in a group of three without TS and it was surprisingly fun. That eerie feeling that someone might be listening. The countless times that everyone would say "SHH! SHHH!! I think I hear someone outside!" over direct made the game feel much more immersive. Just wish you could control the level of audio output based on how loud your actually speaking. Kind of like this (Skip to 12:40).   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTkdHJsdnI4&feature=player_detailpage#t=760

Edited by Hikurac
  • Like 2

Yeah as for 3rd party applications, I wish they couldn't be used in DayZ. I mean I love Teamspeak, but it just feels like i'm breaking the game when I can communicate miles away, without a radio, and without letting others hear me. Me and some friends actually tried playing in a group of three without TS and it was surprisingly fun. That eerie feeling that someone might be listening. The countless times that everyone would say "SHH! SHHH!! I think I hear someone outside!" over direct made the game feel much more immersive. Just wish you could control the level of audio output based on how loud your actually speaking.

Unfortunately for the sound level of people talking, it would only be able to be balanced if everyone was running the same sound card with the same headset and same volume levels.  There is just too much difference in hardware for this to work effectively.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

"-Zombies can "infect" players by making them bleed. Once infected, their motor controls would decrease, they may fire off weapons on accident, lots of stomach issues, and lastly after about 2-3 hours an AI would take over and attempt to kill other players in the area. There is a cure to the virus, however it is extremely rare due amount of people that tried to obtain it."

I would rather not be slapped around by a random number generator.

Edited by Ghostflux

Another possible way to force people to use in game communications while still using teamspeak is to enforce and implement acre.

If you have teamspeak running on your computer acre acknowledges it and takes over.

In ace servers a script automatically kicks you if acre is not on.

Unfortunately for the sound level of people talking, it would only be able to be balanced if everyone was running the same sound card with the same headset and same volume levels.  There is just too much difference in hardware for this to work effectively.

It is possible. Interstellar Marines has, or had a very small team when they came up with this. I imagine the 70 or so programmers on the DayZ team could implement it. Then again I imagine the process for Interstellar was much easier due to the size of the game itself.

Edited by Hikurac

"-Zombies can "infect" players by making them bleed. Once infected, their motor controls would decrease, they may fire off weapons on accident, lots of stomach issues, and lastly after about 2-3 hours an AI would take over and attempt to kill other players in the area. There is a cure to the virus, however it is extremely rare due amount of people that tried to obtain it."

I would rather not be slapped around by a random number generator.

I actually quite like how they did it in the mod for awhile. Zombie can cut you and infect you. You would die from the infection after a set amount of time. Made the zombies an actual threat (However it happened far too often). Although like you said, the rest is simply something I stated in order to build up my little story. I wouldn't mind simply dying from an infection.

Edited by Hikurac

It is possible. Although this game is much smaller of course.

Heh, I've got it but haven;t touched it in a long long time.  And people complain about the progress of DayZ lol.  The Dev's should have a look at this game for some idea's tho.

Also, at around 12:56 is where they talk about the voice control and yes it is very impressive.  

Edited by Caboose187

Heh, I've got it but haven;t touched it in a long long time.  And people complain about the progress of DayZ lol.  The Dev's should have a look at this game for some idea's tho.

Also, at around 12:56 is where they talk about the voice control and yes it is very impressive.  

Yea I love it, sad that they never released this version of the game. Apparently it had too many law suit/licensing issues :/.

Yea I love it, sad that they never released this version of the game. Apparently it had too many law suit/licensing issues :/.

Ya, like ripping off movies :p

Another possible way to force people to use in game communications while still using teamspeak is to enforce and implement acre.

If you have teamspeak running on your computer acre acknowledges it and takes over.

Oh wow, nice find. I would love it if they implemented this but of course too many people would get angry, including most of my friends lol. Meta-gaming is far too convenient to let go of.

Edited by Hikurac

Oh wow, nice find. I would love it if they implemented this but of course too many people would get angry, including most of my friends lol. Meta-gaming is far too convenient to let go of.

Here is some fun stuff about it.

Basically different radios have different ranges and frequencies.

Directional speaking for non-radio, normal communications

•  
  • . Real-time 3d positional information
* Realistic terrain affects for radios
  • . Signal lose & distortion from buildings, hills, trees, and other objects

. Realistic power output and antenna length considerations for all radios that effect signal

. Realistic frequency wavelength falloff; higher frequencies do not travel as far

. Real-time positional calculation for fast-moving objects

* Separate Push-To-Talk key (non-toggle) for using your radio

Download TS3

Download Vent/Mumble/Raidcall/etc.

Run TS3 to satisfy DayZ

Run other 3rd party VOIP as well

Bind chat to diff keys for both

???

Profit

Download TS3

Download Vent/Mumble/Raidcall/etc.

Run TS3 to satisfy DayZ

Run other 3rd party VOIP as well

Bind chat to diff keys for both

???

Profit

I am sure eventually they could stop that.

It is all about setting up barriers to try to force people to play more fairly.

Surely there will be some way to bypass acre but that too can be defeated eventually.

The 1st idea is good.. the others as Im sure you already know, are not realistic. 

But imagining my character going into "rampage" mode and just attacking everything on sight shooting and swinging, sprinting faster than normal.. I have no control and just have to watch it unfold. It could end one of 2 ways.. either your player dies shortly after a manic rampage, eventually dropping dead. Or more exciting, you eventually "come to" and have sporadic bouts of these "rampage" moments. 

Its not really a dayz SA thing, but for a mod.. this would be just amazing if done right. Players could get infected and decide to cure it or if unsuccessful they will end up going crazy.. players could head off into the woods to attempt to survive their infection or head into town for the utmost in entertainment value. Imagine seeing a guy shooting off rounds wildly and running around punching trees in the forest alone.. and another during a rampage moment taking out 6 zeds, 2 bambis, and a 4 man bandit crew all in the span of 2 minutes in the center of Svetlo.. :D

I actually quite like how they did it in the mod for awhile. Zombie can cut you and infect you. You would die from the infection after a set amount of time. Made the zombies an actual threat (However it happened far too often). Although like you said, the rest is simply something I stated in order to build up my little story. I wouldn't mind simply dying from an infection.

In contrary to bleeding, which can be easily solved by carrying around a bandage, an infection is harder to get rid of. I don't think that getting infected by a certain percentage of the hits, which is then decided by a random number generator is any fun to gameplay. Because let's say there's a 10% chance of it happening, now you may not get infected that often, but it may feel like it's sometimes a little too punishing, when you by pure chance die from receiving two infected hits shortly after another.

Instead it would be better for gameplay if getting infected is a certain consequence for failing to provide to your own survival needs. Let's say you have some sort of "resistance" bar just like you have with hydration, energy, shock, health and wetness. Resistance could drop down after starting to gain injuries, or when you're cold and wet or if you're low on energy/hydration. Ruined clothing could also offer less protection. So if you get infected, you know it happened because you didn't pay enough attention to keep yourself healthy.

I am sure eventually they could stop that.

It is all about setting up barriers to try to force people to play more fairly.

Surely there will be some way to bypass acre but that too can be defeated eventually.

There is always a way to bypass every system.

Always.

And I'd like to meet the fellow who's going to develop this plugin for every VoIP in existence and keep it up-to-date for every single one, and continue to develop it to work with every single new VoIP program that comes out.

I'd definitely play on a hive that just threw you in a random server when you die, would never work for the majority though, 

Maybe it could be the difference that really separates the regular and hardcore servers. or just a separate "super" Hardcore hive.