Sterling (DayZ)

How's The Game Lookin'?

xD

Well we got tents, one car but everthing isn't working as intended. The map has shifted pretty much. Many more items, more crafting, and even more gunblazing then in the beginning. Picky players are still better preversed at the mod i think. Oh and there are private servers now.

Updates will now come more frequently and be bigger then before i guess. Come back March or feel free to join the shoot out.

Up next:

New graphic render

Zombie AI

Many more

Edited by Freshmen
  • Like 1

xD

Well we got tents, one car but everthing isn't working as intended. The map has shifted pretty much. Many more items, more crafting, and even more gunblazing then in the beginning. Picky players are still better preversed at the mod i think. Oh and there are private servers now.

Updates will now come more frequently and be bigger then before i guess. Come back March or feel free to join the shoot out.

Up next:

New graphic render

Zombie AI

Many more

Glad to see improvements!

Still not quite ready for me to splurge on yet though.

See you guys in another few months. 

• Like 1

What games have you developed? You obviously seem to know a lot about what stages weapon mechanics should be at during the creation of a game, so please let me know - what game is it you have developed? I'd very much like to play it, on top of that you sound like you know so much about round dispersion, horizontal and vertical recoil, never encountered a stoppage you must surely be a professional in combat. Please, tell me more.

I have to agree with him on some level. FPS games are much more advanced in the gun play. Yet if you can smash the keyboard enough maybe the gun might point upwards hehe

I think once the UI, keyboard mechanics are bound correctly you might see a different game play then we have currently.

Don't want to offend anyone (I'm a huge fan of DayZ series), but look:

• Breaking Point ARMA3: after a year of development looks like a standalone game in BETA stage: yes, glitches, yes stupid zeds... BUT! The game runs twice smoother than DayZ SA, has reasonable zombies that don't ghost through walls\floors, has vehicles, basic bases huge (I mean HUGE) maps (including custom) with 65-100 players.
  • Epoch ARMA3: completely on par with DayZ SA after 4-5 months of development. They have same problems with zeds, lots of bugs, glitches, some decent fps drops. BUT! They have base building, missions, NPCs with stuff to buy, currency system. Oh, and a group system. Not that all those features are needed in SA, but still those are a lot of work.

As a customer, why should I take in consideration those modvs standalone debates when mods that in development for far shorter time have much more content and much more stable than DayZ SA?

I still wait for new renderer, overhauled zombies, bases, more vehicles... But mods do all that much quicker and with far better quality.

P.S. Northern parts of the SA map that had the most recent updates are godlike: they look and feel much better than old regions, especially South-Eastern.

Edited by Zak Preston

As a customer, why should I take in consideration those modvs standalone debates when mods that in development for far shorter time have much more content and much more stable than DayZ SA?

Because it's not the mod that runs smooth, it's the game that it is running on. You have to keep this difference in mind everytime you compare SA development to any of the mods.

Because it's not the mod that runs smooth, it's the game that it is running on. You have to keep this difference in mind everytime you compare SA development to any of the mods.

I guess you missed my point: DayZ SA has been in development for 2 years. Still, some glitches in SA version persist from ARMA2 Mod: ghosting zombies, texture artifacts, some buildings exploits, dupe and so on. Yes, the new map is beautiful, new weapons look cool, inventory is far better, new gearing system, new healthcare system. But afrer 2 years of development the game still fails to deliver survival elements! This is what bad! And mods, while having rudimentary (compared to SA) gearing and health system, can offer you a zombie apocalypse survival.

So, from a point of a common consumer, why should I pick SA over mods (esp. ARMA3)?

• Like 1

So, from a point of a common consumer, why should I pick SA over mods (esp. ARMA3)?

Well, noone said you should. Actually the only place where you can buy the game tells you not to buy it ( UNLESS.... ).

Sure DayZ is obviously not finished yet. It will take roughly the same 3 years ArmA3 did because both titles are of comparable size. Development takes time, thats not a secret. If you don't want to have the experiences that you should expect during development ( bugs, unfinished content, problematic design descisions - we all know the text ), you should feel free to play a mod or another game.

The reason there are still some issues from the ArmA2 Mod simply is that many systems are still the old ones very similar to their ArmA2 counterparts. Developing an entirely new zombie AI from scratch is not done in a couple of months. The biggest systems need the most time.

Edited by ChainReactor

Well, noone said you should. Actually the only place where you can buy the game tells you not to buy it ( UNLESS.... ).

Sure DayZ is obviously not finished yet. It will take roughly the same 3 years ArmA3 did because both titles are of comparable size. Development takes time, thats not a secret. If you don't want to have the experiences that you should expect during development ( bugs, unfinished content, problematic design descisions - we all know the text ), you should feel free to play a mod or another game.

The reason there are still some issues from the ArmA2 Mod simply is that many systems are still the old ones very similar to their ArmA2 counterparts. Developing an entirely new zombie AI from scratch is not done in a couple of months. The biggest systems need the most time.

I don't regret I've bought DayZ SA, but I feel confused when I see a lot of new cosmetic stuff added while there is no visible progress on core mechanics that made Mod so popular: zombies, performance, vehicles, stability, bugs and cheaters (met a speedhacking\teleporting guy recently). All those features have one root: a proper engine (not only rendering engine) is vital, while devs were going to mod slightly an old VBS-2 engine and add a lot of stuff.

Another bad thing about prolonged SA development is that a lot of games on the same thematics are in development: while some have failed, some seem to be a fail, few of them (won't name them) can cripple DayZ authority even more. 

I guess you missed my point: DayZ SA has been in development for 2 years. Still, some glitches in SA version persist from ARMA2 Mod: ghosting zombies, texture artifacts, some buildings exploits, dupe and so on. Yes, the new map is beautiful, new weapons look cool, inventory is far better, new gearing system, new healthcare system. But afrer 2 years of development the game still fails to deliver survival elements! This is what bad! And mods, while having rudimentary (compared to SA) gearing and health system, can offer you a zombie apocalypse survival.

At this stage it's incorrect to imply that you are buying a game.

Instead,we are buying hope........hope that the SA will turn to a ((superior)) game.

From a consumer perspective game is looking exactly the same from 6 months ago when OP made the topic.

A large scaled (Team) Deathmatch with a sprinkle of cosmetic items and "eye candy" mechanics.

Judging the fact that this topic was made 6 months ago and the responses made in the months between,

i personally find it quite disheartening of how much the game's update progress is excruciating slow.

• Like 1

Meh, OP if you haven't bought it yet, keep it that way. I'd wait.

All those features have one root: a proper engine (not only rendering engine) is vital, while devs were going to mod slightly an old VBS-2 engine and add a lot of stuff.

The first part of the quote above is true. The second part isn't. They redevelop actually the entire engine from scratch, and replace old engine modules bit by bit whenever a new system is ready to be implemented. This is actually the sole reason why you seem not to see much visible updates - we still are in a time in development where the main focus still is on developing basic game functionalities, which takes many months of time as i said before. The development and addition of cosmetic stuff is not detrimental to engine development as it is been done by different people. Artists are not programmers.

By the way, they do not work on an old VBS-2 engine. VBS is done by Bohemia Interactive Simulations, not Bohemia Interactive. They started on a modified Real Virtuality engine from Arma2. But as i said, they redevelop most parts of it from scratch.

I guess you missed my point: DayZ SA has been in development for 2 years.

Well that's not really the case though, is it?

But afrer 2 years of development the game still fails to deliver survival elements! This is what bad!

Saying it twice doesn't make it any more true.

Ultimately though, by the sounds of it, DayZ SA is simply not the game for you as you are looking for a finished product and SA is quite some way from that.

- DayZ is a MMO open world survival horror video game in development by Bohemia Interactive and the stand-alone version of the award-winning mod of the same name. The game   was test-released on December 16, 2013

- DayZ began development in 2012 when the mod's creator, Dean Hall, joined Bohemia Interactive to commence work on the standalone version of the game.

Source: DayZ Wikipedia

Just for the record,tomorrow we'll be celebrating New Year's Eve for 2015 .

So...yeah....2 years (if not more).

Ultimately though, by the sounds of it, DayZ SA is simply not the game for you as you are looking for a finished product and SA is quite some way from that.

He's just being critical which is perfectly fine.

That doesn't mean he doesn't love the game as much(or even more) as the rest of us.

• Like 1

Just for the record,tomorrow we'll be celebrating New Year's Eve for 2015 .

So...yeah....2 years (if not more)..

But you also have to take into account that the scope of the project massively changed during it's early times and the team increased a lot, which also took time away from the actual development.

I think the only person here on the forums that could give us an actual, reliable info about how long they are working on DayZ as it is now is Hicks.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

DayZ began development in 2012 when the mod's creator, Dean Hall, joined Bohemia Interactive to commence work on the standalone version of the game.

Not really 2 years though, 18 months at most and even then the whole development process lost about 2 months of that when all the new staff was brought it.

it is.

It does.

Quoting separate phrases doesn't add them more sense, right?

DayZ SA is not the game that was promised 2 years ago and it's superslow development progress hurts Bohemia's reputation a lot. 

Edit: I'm just patiently waiting for the Game to be playable in the way the Mod was. I'll buy a new PC (not for DayZ only) and test other survival sandboxes, as most of current DayZ users that enjoyed the Mod would.

Edited by Zak Preston

Quoting separate phrases doesn't add them more sense, right?

Really? That's the way you want to play it?

The game has clearly not had the sort of development team nor the resources nor the same roadmap for 2 years, trying to claim it has is just a bit daft.

DayZ SA is not the game that was promised 2 years ago...

Link those "promises".

Really? That's the way you want to play it?

The game has clearly not had the sort of development team nor the resources nor the same roadmap for 2 years, trying to claim it has is just a bit daft.

Link those "promises".

Dude, a mediocre consumer doesn't need excuses, he needs a result. If he doesn't get what he expected for the money he paid, he gets pissed off, and the dev studio gets a bad reputation.

You want me to search for old posts? Let me remind you about zombie rework and "network bubbles" that were supposed to fix 2 core issues. Have they fixed? Maybe in some way, but there are still almost no zeds and server pops is limited to 30-40 ppl. Aside from this I don't want to datamine for old videos and posts.

Edited by Zak Preston

Dude, a mediocre consumer doesn't need excuses, he needs a result. If he doesn't get what he expected for the money he paid, he gets pissed off, and the dev studio gets a bad reputation.

You want me to search for old posts? Let me remind you about zombie rework and "network bubbles" that were supposed to fix 2 core issues. Have they fixed? Maybe in some way, but there are still almost no zeds and server pops is limited to 30-40 ppl. Aside from this I don't want to datamine for old videos and posts.

So that's a, "no, I can't find these promises"?

Anyway, look, you are frustrated at the way the game is coming along - and you are entitled to that view - but the simple answer is don't play it. Even putting aside what we know publicly about the development process it's clear nobody is sitting around taking the piss, and it's not as if the company hasn't said on many an occasion that you shouldn't consider the Alpha process anything more than testing and a bit of fun.

Anyway, look, you are frustrated at the way the game is coming along - and you are entitled to that view - but the simple answer is don't play it. Even putting aside what we know publicly about the development process it's clear nobody is sitting around taking the piss, and it's not as if the company hasn't said on many an occasion that you shouldn't consider the Alpha process anything more than testing and a bit of fun.

It's more like "i have my time to spend on better things than searching old Rocket's posts and videos (many of them were deleted for Bohemia youtube channel)"

And who says I'm playing DayZ SA? I'll give it a try in 3-4 month, and then another 3-4 month break until me and my clan will be able to to rent a serer of a stable SA version and settle there for years )

Edited by Zak Preston

Now now ricp, he does kind of have a point. A consumer does have the right to be critical of the product he has paid for. However, there is a fine line between being a responsible, well involved consumer and being an unpleasable whine-machine :P

Edited by DeatHTaX

Now now ricp, he does kind of have a point. A consumer does have the right to be critical of the product he has paid for. However, there is a fine line between being a responsible, well involved consumer and being an unpleasable whine-machine :P

very true...key word being involved, which would imply informed, which would lead to alot less complaining about a product that is not done yet, because, well.....they would be aware that the product is not finished and hopefully be a bit more accepting of the product at whatever state it is currently in.....maybe? alot of these complainers give me the mental image of a horribly fat 11 year old crying because the donuts they want wont be ready until tomorrow....."but...the sign says donuts" :wacko:

• Like 2

very true...key word being involved, which would imply informed, which would lead to alot less complaining about a product that is not done yet, because, well.....they would be aware that the product is not finished and hopefully be a bit more accepting of the product at whatever state it is currently in.....maybe? alot of these complainers give me the mental image of a horribly fat 11 year old crying because the donuts they want wont be ready until tomorrow....."but...the sign says donuts" :wacko:

I give you beans for successfully comparing the DayZ standalone community to a fat kid who wants donuts

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 1

You do play this game, right? Server pop max on stable is 50 and it goes higher on experimental.