rocket

Patch 1.5.7 and this being an Alpha and fucking zombie spawns

So do we have to manually update this? or is it worked into the servers?

You need to download the new files and put them in the folder like you did when you first installed.

You also have to play on a server that is running 5.7 not 5.6. There are quite a few running both ATM.

One problem I think is how the zombies react' date=' me and a friend were crouching at a long distance away from a small town with out sniper rifles, I take the shot on one of the zombies and pretty much the entire town came sprinting at us...

[/quote']

I've noticed this too, but it seems to me like they are linked packs of zombies. If you've ever played an MMO like WoW, it reminds me of trash pulls in an instance. You agro one, and all of his friends from that group he was with comes.

In towns where there are multiple roaming packs, I've noticed pulling all of one pack, while the other pack doesn't agro. The sound should have pulled both, but because I shot a zombie from one pack, that whole pack came, and not the other group.

Find a friend - i play with 8+ clan mates at some points - now i know not alot of people can put the time or effort into joining a clan - so join a community! Actually play this game like it should be played ...

Is that how YOU think it should be played, or has Rocket actually stated that's how he wants the game to be played? What's so wrong about wanting to play as a lone wolf. Do you really want to tell other players how to play the game? I think the only person who should / can do that is Rocket.

Fix the fucking PvP.

What?

What's wrong with PvP, and how did this patch change it? Are you complaining about PvP in general, or did something change that I didn't see in the patch notes?

Playing solo is still viable. You have to quiet though, sneaking in and out of settlements without firing a shot.

If you're a mischief maker, wait outside a village until a group goes in to clear it, then, as they they aggressing the zombies, strike!

Fix the fucking PvP. I have been killed over and over by humans. I have not died from Zombies since playing the early early version of Alpha before the 365 days game time was accumulated.

This update actually fixed PVP. <3

Amazing job with this accident.

Find a friend - i play with 8+ clan mates at some points - now i know not alot of people can put the time or effort into joining a clan - so join a community! Actually play this game like it should be played ...

Is that how YOU think it should be played' date=' or has Rocket actually stated that's how he wants the game to be played? What's so wrong about wanting to play as a lone wolf. Do you really want to tell other players how to play the game? I think the only person who should / can do that is Rocket.

[/quote']

r2' date='It's not rediculous to imply this game as Clan / Group only, this is a millitary simulation game where the focus of it since Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis (Yes i said it) was to play in groups and sometimes (In Acceptable/Exceptional circumstances) you could "Lone-Wolf" it on certain parts, but ultimately you had to have allies. [/quote']

Since he made this Mod for ARMA 2 and it wasn't a different game or am I missing something relevant?

Since he made this Mod for ARMA 2 and it wasn't a different game or am I missing something relevant?

So because he made the mod for Arma II, that states that he wants only team players, and no lone wolfs? I'm not sure how that logic works.

To all you people enjoying the new zombies, why? Slaying 50 dumb-as-bricks, jerky and badly coded AI zombies is no fun at all, ESPECIALLY because it's coming at the detriment of player interaction (both good and bad).

I don't know what you did before hand, but I played for the other people, not the zombies. Shooting AI will get old after a week or two in any game, esp this one.

Also, stop saying this game is ArmA / a mil sim, it's not. The BASE GAME is a mil sim, this is a TOTAL CONVERSION MOD. It can be as realistic or as fictional as the mod dev wants it to be.

I think it will be interesting to see how this effects PVP, ie in a situation where you would normally kill another player you might not to avoid attracting zombies

So because he made the mod for Arma II' date=' that states that he wants only team players, and no lone wolfs? I'm not sure how that logic works.

[/quote']

Can you not read full sentences?

"and sometimes (In Acceptable/Exceptional circumstances) you could "Lone-Wolf" it on certain parts, but ultimately you had to have allies."

If there was a Zombie Apocolipse - do you really think running into a city for supplies would be accomplishable without attracted a horde of zombies' date=' which you would then kill in some manner of way, that you could just walk out the way you came un-hinded? NO - By LORE Zombies are attracted to sound, and i ask all you ignorant people to go stand 500 metres away from any type of un-silenced weapon and tell me you don't hear the direction it's coming from or tell me you don't hear it.

[/quote']

If we look at most popular examples of realistic zombie fiction, shooting them is never the main objective while hunting for supplies. What is done is sneaking past them (now almost impossible with their state of awareness) or disposing some of them silently with melee or traps. Now one of those things is close to impossible and the other completely impossible.

Another thing is that zombies are stupid. That is probably their most universal trait. Right now they are not stupid. When they hear you shoot, they automatically know where you are. They are not entering some sort of "search mode" or anything, they just run right at you, doing evasive maneuvers at the same time. This mod is so hard, because it aims at realism. A lot of zombies is realism. Ultra aware zombies with hacks is not realism, it's just really, really annoying.

EDIT: Oh and another thing. If we really want to make a quiet sweep there should be a way to lose pursuing zombies. I don't know if it is possible at all but I was running away from a horde for a good 15 minutes, and they never stoppe going at me. If we want to make things realistic, there should be a way to lose the pursuit. If we don't want to make zombies tire themselves, they should at least lose interest in running after us, when we hide or gain some solid distance.

I think it will be interesting to see how this effects PVP' date=' ie in a situation where you would normally kill another player you might not to avoid attracting zombies

[/quote']

i have noticed more pvp today with players attacking others on the coast line for base supplies. it seems to be safer to take on a player for his weapon and food then to risk entering the towns and cities right now.

Can you not read full sentences?

"and sometimes (In Acceptable/Exceptional circumstances) you could "Lone-Wolf" it on certain parts' date=' but ultimately you had to have allies."[/b']

Not sure why you are getting so angry, but w.e.

My issue isn't with how the game should be played, but rather that you seem to want to tell people how to play.

In general lmao.

This isn't really the place to be crying about PvP in general, this is a post about the recent patch.

I think a lot of people are guilty of telling others how to play.

The only thing we can all be honest about is why we do or do not think it is fun, or what prevents them from having fun.

I've found that I don't actually loot towns anymore, it's just easier, quicker, safer, and with better rewards to kill survivors from a few hundred meters out, take there shit and go about my day. Never actually offensively engaged players before, but now it's necessary. Sorry about the killings guys, but apparently I need it more than you as I'm unable to get through towns successfully. Expect this behavior to be on the rise, after all I'm totally safe out there watching you collect my food for me, and it's literally zero risk for reward to blast your legs out and then kill you.

Zombies respawn is too high, zombie count is slightly (not by much) to high (mostly in small towns/clumps of buildings, cities are great imo!), and the speed/glitching of the zombies is a factor in the numbering being too high. If they where slightly slower and didn't glitch I don't think it would be to much (other than the respawn timer). Also wilderness zombies in small groups (that don't respawn by the time your finished killing them ;P) would be a great addition.

Let me get this straight now, the gist is:

Too few zombies = People just "PVP" because its easier

Too many zombies = People just "PVP" because its something to do

And somehow, "just right" = People won't "PVP" too much?

So if PVP is going to be rampant either way. Which would you want, too few or too many zombies.

Anyway, its been discussed to death, its a bug, its just being left for a few days until we can do the next update to see what happens.

I would rather have fewer zombies.

Players scare me more than zombies no matter how many zombies there is.

Worrying about PvP is fun, and not having to avoid cities completely because of the mass hordes is a good thing too.

Just tone down the zombie spawn, its not bad it's just a little much in some areas.

Lone wolfs won't be able to survive for many minutes anymore.

If you aggro just 1 an entire zombie army comes at you, if ya on ya own, ya just gunna end up respawning alot.

In groups not to bad, but think of how many people play lone, more than groups!

Let me get this straight now' date=' the gist is:

Too few zombies = People just "PVP" because its easier

Too many zombies = People just "PVP" because its something to do

And somehow, "just right" = People won't "PVP" too much?

So if PVP is going to be rampant either way. Which would you want, too few or too many zombies.

Anyway, its been discussed to death, its a bug, its just being left for a few days until we can do the next update to see what happens.

[/quote']

I think you should just try to reduce the respawn rate initially before you reduce the amount of zombies. Though you know better then I what would be better ^^;

The amount of zombies is good in the main towns. Perhaps tone down barn spawns and stuff as well as increase the respawn timer.

Please stop sending abusive emails!

I can't believe people would do that. It's a god damn alpha they paid nothing for. I'm sorry you have to put up with this and hope it doesn't make you think the entire community is full of entitled morons like that!

Thank you for all your work so far. Some of the best PC gaming I've ever had.

After playing it both ways, I can say that my personal preference is for less zombies. The fear in the game before was not knowing if there were any zed around, creeping around deserted towns. Higher zombie counts take away from that desolation aspect, and increase the starting difficulty a ton.

I think that there definitely could be more zombies, but they should be a tad slower and more concentrated in cities or in roving bands.

Great mod though, looking forward to how things evolve either way. PVP is always going to be around, and it is a cool part of the game. You could possibly allow the creation of PVE servers, if people want to go that route. (I don't know if you can turn off friendly fire in ARMA or not)

Well this patch killed the game for me and my friends, if massive amounts of glitchy, annoying zombies was the purpose of this mod then you've succeeded. Maybe that's fun for some but it takes the stealth and survival attributes of this game, the main selling points in my opinion, and strips them away. Honestly ArmA2 is garbage in terms of CQB fighting in the first place so if I wanted to fight endless hordes of zombies, which I don't, I would just play left4dead.

It'll be hard to please everyone.

I personally think the new zombie count is great! Going into towns now has more risk (before it wasn't that risky, still having quite high reward with all the loot). Very balanced at the moment.

Well this patch killed the game for me and my friends' date=' if massive amounts of glitchy, annoying zombies was the purpose of this mod then you've succeeded. Maybe that's fun for some but it takes the stealth and survival attributes of this game, the main selling points in my opinion, and strips them away.

[/quote']

Okay' date=' so still people don't realize this is an [b']Alpha. If you do not know what this means - go look it up on wikipedia RIGHT NOW.

When I fix one bug, many can crop up.

So yes, the zombie numbers weren't my intention - but now that it is here, let us see how they play out. Maybe we might actually learn something from it or maybe everyone just wants to jump to conclusions in the first ten minutes...

Going back to the first post, by the developer no less, the numbers weren't entirely intentional and the fact that the current build has them is the lesser of two evils. If a single build in the alpha phase of a project is enough to turn you off on a project altogether, you should probably avoid playing in alphas as they will *always* have issues as such.

My two cents: The amount of zombies may be slightly overkill, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand if you die right now getting gear again is really, really tough and you have to sneak by everything. On the other I died and had to sneak into the airfield, at the time both heavily infested by zombies as well as a pair of bandits who were shooting other survivors and each other. I snuck in, got an AKM and a bunch of gear, and got out and it was the most exciting thing I've done in the mod thus far.

On the other hand, if you ever have to fire a shot in any sort of populated area you will get swarmed and, if not for the building walk pathing, you pretty much will die. Is there a way to tie the number of zombies to the specific cities? It seems like your podunk little towns have more zombies than there could have possibly been people, and by decreasing the zombie spawns in them it would kind of make a food chain for hitting cities depending on your personal marksmanship/discretion skills and/or the size of your group.

I think the there is a bit too much zombies right now. Reduce the amount of them or then make the zombies always walk or slow them down, it is really hard to survive from 20 zombies sprinting like crazy because you cannot shoot them without stopping and them hitting you. And it's now impossible to go in cities without crawling the whole time because the amount of the zombies (actually looted many cities without killing 0 zombies with only crawling because zombies aren't spawning inside the houses anymore for some reason, i think it is good) but it's really really slow.