Sign in to follow this  
maninthewall

More WW2 guns?

I don't know about you guys, but I think the dev team should add more WW2 guns than modern military guns.

I think for some reason, older guns fit more in the game. I would love if they added one of these classics:

M1 Garand

rL87l3U.jpg

M1A1 Carbine

6XN86js.jpg

M1A1 Thompson

Ncvxz6x.jpg

PSSH 41

bembwWB.jpg

Yay or nay?

• Like 3

I think for some reason, older guns fit more in the game.

What exactly is this reason... though?

It's fine to suggest adding certain types of weapons, sure. I support WWII weapons. But advocating adding them instead of other weapons (in this case "modern" weapons) never made any sense to me whatsoever.

Being that this is Eastern Europe I dont think we'd see to many american made WW2 guns. I think we'd see more German and Russian. The PPsh makes sense, i'd like to see that. Maybe a Gewehr 43, or a MP40. I personally would like more rifles. I dont want too many high powered modern guns. It will just turn into COD, or BF4. 

What exactly is this reason... though?

Call me crazy, but guns that has a wooden body feels more "survivor-ish" to me

Not sure if I'm the only one

• Like 2

Why? Pretty much the only reason the Mosin is in-game is because there were literally hundreds of thousands (maybe hyperbolic) of the rifles produced.

Why? Pretty much the only reason the Mosin is in-game is because there were literally hundreds of thousands (maybe hyperbolic) of the rifles produced.

Why not?

I would prefer more cold war-era weapons. But mostly 50's - 80's soviet made weapons.

• Like 4

Call me crazy, but guns that has a wooden body feels more "survivor-ish" to me

Not sure if I'm the only one

But it's based upon "feeling" regarding an aesthetic, it's your personal feeling. In my experience, discriminating between certain things based on "feeling" never really makes sense.

I certainly get what you're saying, and agree that WWII weapons should be in DayZ (they really already are, with the P38 and Mosin), but they shouldn't be included INSTEAD of something else based upon a feeling.

Modern weapons, to me, don't therefore feel anti-survivor or anti-apocalyptic.

And, in an unrelated note, to whoever said that American mid-century weapons should not be found in Eastern Europe... Lithuania, I believe, has a surplus stockpile of tens of thousands of M14s. And here's an image of two Thompsons sitting in a gun shop in Prague...

IMG_2107.JPG

Edited by Katana67

I would prefer more cold war-era weapons. But mostly 50's - 80's soviet made weapons.

M16A1

<3

QIFqEX7.jpg

• Like 4

I agree. Being that you never really see who killed you, i'd hate more and more high powered modern weapons. But the setting would dictate that there would be at least SOME. 

Since we do have some military presence naturally there would be high powered weapons. But mostly what you would find would be personal guns in homes. 

We'd have to pretend that the military was overrun and pulled out. Leaving behind a little bit of stuff, but not much. 

And, in an unrelated note, to whoever said that American mid-century weapons should not be found in Eastern Europe... Lithuania, I believe, has a surplus stockpile of tens of thousands of M14s. And here's an image of two Thompsons sitting in a gun shop in Prague...

I didnt say there wouldnt be ANY, just not as much as German or Russian. Im sure you can go into any state in America and find examples of guns from other regions, but not as much as you'd find of local stuff. It's the ratios that would be off. 

i'd hate more and more high powered modern weapons.

What do you mean by "high powered"?

A bone-stock wooden M14 does pretty much the same damage as a kitted out Mk 17.

An M16A1 does pretty much the same damage as a kitted out M16A4.

An AK-103 w/ rail system pretty much does the same damage as an AKM.

Youre focusing on the "high powered" statement. When 'Modern" should be the focus. I want to see less of the stuff you find in COD, BF4, etc. And more of what you find in Red Orchestra 2.  

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys, but I think the dev team should add more WW2 guns than modern military guns.

I think for some reason, older guns fit more in the game. I would love if they added one of these classics:

M1 Garand

rL87l3U.jpg

M1A1 Carbine

6XN86js.jpg

M1A1 Thompson

Ncvxz6x.jpg

PSSH 41

bembwWB.jpg

Yay or nay?

I already suggested the Thompson and the PSSH if you didnt read the post i made a few clicks back lol.

Youre focusing on the "high powered" statement. When 'Modern" should be the focus. I want to see less of the stuff you find in COD, BF4, etc. And more of what you find in Red Orchestra 2.  

Then say modern, don't say high-powered as if it's some kind of tangible property which gives an advantage over other weapons... when you're really just talking about your personal feelings regarding the aesthetic.

And why are you letting COD and BF poison neutral weapons which exist independently of these game franchises? Why does being in COD or BF somehow make them unworthy of being in DayZ?

Edited by Katana67

Then say modern, don't say high-powered as if it's some kind of tangible property which gives an advantage over other weapons... when you're really just talking about your personal feelings regarding the aesthetic.

And why are you letting COD and BF poison neutral weapons which exist independently of these game franchises? Why does being in COD or BF somehow make them unworthy of being in DayZ?

I think hes more referring to the advanced optics and (in many cases) more accurate modern varients. this would make it easier to track/spot/hit the target.

A certain caliber round traveling a similar speeds will do similar damage on impact regardless of what era the gun it came from was made in.

I think hes more referring to the advanced optics and (in many cases) more accurate modern varients. this would make it easier to track/spot/hit the target.

A certain caliber round traveling a similar speeds will do similar damage on impact regardless of what era the gun it came from was made in.

Nobody mentioned optics here, and certainly not him.

The more I would like to have some weapon maintenance, like finding some spare parts for your weapon. Sure, you can repace some accessories now, but I mean some weapon mechanism malfunctions. Like some M4 would be quite good and powerfull weapon, but needs some care in order to keep it functional. Weapon cleaning kit would be more usefull, however I dont know if it does anything at the moment, but yeah..

So, russian weapons would have some missfires, not that accurate, more easier to find (post-soviet state!) and obviously much more post-apocalyptic B)  where US/NATO/Western weapons would be much harder to find, needs more care, are more powerfull, and are kind of a status symbol for those who has the "better"...

I would prefer SVD Dragunov... That is and will always be my weapon of choice

If we really would like to put weapons that would fit the location we are playing, those who really fits are:

-M16 Vietnam/A1

-Xm 177, the carabine came before the M733 commando and way before the M4

But beside of Colts that i have enough of them...:

-PPSH43

-PPSH41

-USM3 Grease Gun....was used also in vietnam and held by North Vietnamese

I'd like an m1 carabine aswell because it's the weapon i would like if will ever come out electric for Airsoft! :( ....But i think won't fit on this game :(

Edited by GunnyITA

I'd like an SVT-40, Tokarev TT-33, MP-40, KAR-98K, M3 Greasegun, and PPSh-41/PPS-43 in the long-run. However, 50s/60s/70s/80s weapons would probably be the majority of guns you'd find in Chernarus (AKMs, AK-74s, AKS-74Us, SVDs, G3s, FN FALs, M16s, RPD/RPKs, Makarovs, etc.)

• Like 1

Nobody mentioned optics here, and certainly not him.

Man, you're certainly splitting hairs aren't you. You should be a lawyer. Of course "Modern" includes other methods of making them more advanced than a WW2 iron sight weapon. I guess I need to be more specific. But a high powered rifle with a really advanced optics would outwit someone with an M1 Garand and iron sights. Not to say you cant kill anyone with an M1. I just dont want to see everyone in game running around with machine guns and massive clips just spraying when they see someone. 

I think ammo should be rare. You have 7 bullets so you have to use them sparingly. 

Man, you're certainly splitting hairs aren't you. You should be a lawyer. Of course "Modern" includes other methods of making them more advanced than a WW2 iron sight weapon. I guess I need to be more specific. But a high powered rifle with a really advanced optics would outwit someone with an M1 Garand and iron sights. Not to say you cant kill anyone with an M1. I just dont want to see everyone in game running around with machine guns and massive clips just spraying when they see someone. 

I think ammo should be rare. You have 7 bullets so you have to use them sparingly. 

I mean, you DIDN'T say what you're now saying. So, if that's nitpicking (i.e. prompting you to actually be specific, rather than insanely vague) so be it. Optics weren't mentioned, you used the phrase "high-powered modern weapons."

Ammo rarity is a separate issue from which weapons should be included. And you didn't answer my questions regarding the use of COD/BF as somehow a negative proof to judge which weapons should be included and which shouldn't.

Edited by Katana67

Hello there

I think many of us do actually understand the CoD/BF analogy but on the other hand it is good to be clear and concise.

Regardless, man hug time?

As to the weapons, im sure that they are all available somewhere in the locale but, to me, although I love them they'd have to be damn rare to be included to please my sensibilities.

Ive come around to having out of place weapons but WW2 just seems to be too much of a jump for me.

Rgds

LoK 

Not quite true. The M16A1 had a 1:12 twist rate barrel and used M193 ammo as standard, whereas the M16A4 has a 1:7 rate and uses M855 ammo as standard. This leads to different "damage" on human or material targets.

Not quite true. The M16A1 had a 1:12 twist rate barrel and used M193 ammo as standard, whereas the M16A4 has a 1:7 rate and uses M855 ammo as standard. This leads to different "damage" on human or material targets.

Primarily to do with the round, rather than the weapon itself. Which is what is being discussed. Moreover, in a video game, this is hardly a concern (as they'd both be firing generic "5.56" ammo).

And I did say "pretty much" vice "exactly the same."

Edited by Katana67