I'm digging the renewed focus on Zeds, though I think that a big part of the seemingly increased difficulty is coming from the change in the Zed sounds, which are nice and terrifying but no longer work as gameplay indicators of a Zed's aggro status, making it very hard to gauge if/when you've gotten too close.

i like the new zombie numbers, it makes it so you're more inclined to cooperate be you bandit or survivor with others instead of just running around the map gunning down people randomly and going from town to town no problem whatsoever in getting new fresh supplies.

The only issue I have with the new patch is possibly tweaking the zombie respawn timers. I've had several instances where i clear a 2 story building only to see more zombies spawned as i come down the stairs.

At first i thought they had run in from outside but i did this later with friends posted outside to watch for other players/zeds and they did infact respawn downstairs where i just cleared not even a full 30seconds prior.

Its so funny seeing all the casual gamer cry.

"Oh noez, y cant I move through the zombies and kill 100000000000 like in l4d2"

"Y U NO GIVE ACHIEVEMENTS"

"I bought Arma II only to play this mod and have fun" <-- that one made me piss my pants. Srsly you buy a game for an Alpha(!) Mod that claims to be hardass shit zombie apocalypse simulator(!) and complain about the difficulty? WTF is wrong with you guys, do you think u r able to bitch about difficulty in a real zombie apocalypse? Go play COD or BF3

Its so funny seeing all the casual gamer cry.

"Oh noez' date=' y cant I move through the zombies and kill 100000000000 like in l4d2"

"Y U NO GIVE ACHIEVEMENTS"

"I bought Arma II only to play this mod and have fun" <-- that one made me piss my pants. Srsly you buy a game for an Alpha(!) Mod that claims to be hardass shit zombie apocalypse simulator(!) and complain about the difficulty? WTF is wrong with you guys, do you think u r able to bitch about difficulty in a real zombie apocalypse? Go play COD or BF3

[/quote']

Your intelligence level is staggering, please, tell me more.

I'm sorry, but since when was this game a Zombie killing shooter? I have Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor for that. Cities and towns should be dangerous.

Yes, you could live it out in the woods, in fact, that is THE most sensible thing to do.... until you run out of food and water. Why would anyone want to live inside a town or a city during a zombie apocalypse?

People forget that this is, essentially, an extension of ArmA2 - a military simulator, and not Call of Duty.

the zombies count now is awesome i like more the mod now. you need to play more to make a need tactics, when you enter a large town. only use pistol when you are inside of a large town

when i shoot whit pistol when i inside of chernogorst no to much zombies come, is easy be carefully whit your move and you will be safe

now i dont see to much people shooting each other inside of a town,

i see a guy trying to kill me whit a ak and in 5 secons 15 zombies start to chasing him was awesome

i like a lot this new patch maybe respawn time of the zombies can be 5 mins more

Loving the new update. You really have to think about navigating the smaller towns. Risk/Reward x20 :)

Just played a few hours with all my new zombie friends. Thanks devs for making the zombies actually threatening instead of a nuisance. Now I have a chance to get at those leader-boards.

Yeaaaah.. I was happy with my CZ yesterday, now i'm afraid to fire a shot.

I thank the modders for a great job at making this free to people and a different experience than most games. I've been playing ARMA2 since it was released and still get annoyed at engine glitches that I know aren't the fault of DayZ devs.

Firstly alot of attention was brought onto DayZ during 1.5.6 which had the lowest Zed and loot spawns I've seen. The unfortunate side effect of the patch was that it promoted a style of play that should be less common, the "solo bandit". There were more "shoot first" and loot gear survivors than ever which allowed bandits to kill without agro of zombies.

Now 1.5.7 has raised those Zed numbers (I have yet to log on and play 1.5.7), I hope it promotes more co-operation. Need the good gear? grab a group of friends and raid the town. Unfortunately 1.5.6 allowed too much soloing for areas that should be densely populated with Zeds.

My friends and I discussed that we would like to see areas where you needed help to clear it out. This is the "big prize loots" where going in solo is virtual suicide and co-operation with survivors is essential.

Again we'll see how the next patch goes but good work DayZ devs :)

I just want to say that regardless of where this mod goes, I played 1.5.6 with my wife today, over 8 hours, and yes we bought Arma to play the mod, but today's experience playing 1.5.6 is one of the greatest moments I've had playing a game, ever. Up there with my previous best: Shadow of the Collosus. What a spectacular time. I will never forget it. Hunting for zomb's, stalking humans, collecting awesome gear, a perfect balance for me. The most fun I've ever had. It reminds me of when I first played Prince of Persia with my brother on our new Super Nintendo. We couldnt put it down! So, thank you for this!

I just wanted to share our initial reactions to the new update. I see people are getting defensive in this, especially the hard-working developer becoming frustrated toward user reactions (which i was disappointed to see). But for what its worth, here's my lowly, undesired opinion that no one wants to read: We logged in after 1.5.7, and we didn't much care for it. We were sitting North of Povlovo, and based on what we saw, we didn't even want to play because we wouldn't have a hope clearing these zeds or sneaking past them (since Arma was clearly never Splinter Cell ;) so, we just logged off. We hope it's not indefinitely, but we're plenty happy with our experience today! :) keep up the good work! The eyes of the entire video game industry are paying attention to you Rocket - stay focused and don't become defensive. You have a great community, and they appreciate your unsung hard-work. Cheers mate.

I think everyone needs to relax a bit. Ive found it quite humorous we ahve gone from too few zeds to too many! Hopefully this is just the next step to just the right amount!

Just throw your weapons away, firing a single shot will have 10+ zeds running towards you, even when you're lying prone behind a tree far away and shoot a single zed which has roamed away from its pack, they all just immediately home in on you.

Better chance of survival sneaking rather then shooting. But I have to say I enjoyed 1.5.6 far more.

I myself think that a lot of the problems we are facing with the new zombie spawns are more to do with the Arma 2 engine not being able to let us deal with the new hordes properly, and not really anything to do with how rocket has implemented it.

When I first played on 1.5.7 I was initially horrified by the amount of zombies in the small towns, as their "patrol" routes were very heavy and over crowded, but ever since I started playing this game a few weeks ago I have been a very cautious player. I only run upright when I am being chased tbh, crouch rushing everywhere in the countryside and prone creeping in towns with the occasional crouch when I feel it is safe.

So I did what I always do, and observed for a good few minutes the best way to get to the building I wanted and made sure I could get there with minimum encounters, or even better none. I proned and slow crawled through the zombie patterns and after a very tense few minutes got to the doorway of the building.

Arma engine problem number 1 - prone and doorways do NOT go hand in hand. I got stuck lol so I got into crouch position and held shift to slow crouch in. This also took a fair few attempts to actually get through the door, but luckily for me I had timed my entry correctly as no zombies were close enough to see my jittering toon wibble his way through the door. YES! I was in.

Arma engine problem number 2 - getting items from stashes is bloody hard in prone and again I had to spend an age shuffling about so that I could even get my G button to recognise there was indeed loot nearby, but I did get there eventually and reaped the rewards for my careful approach work. I was now planning my exit route when up reared ...

Arma engine problem number 3 - zombies see and attack through walls! EEK!! I was proned in the entrance hallway, scanning the outside for zombies when I heard the distinctive zombie noise for "I SEE BRAIIIINNNNSSSEEESSSSS!!" and wondered where I had been spotted from. Turns out it was from behind the wall to my rear where there was no window or doorway, just a solid wall. A little panicked I tried to back up and got slapped by a zombie who was now in the process of trying to ghost walk through the solid wall.

I managed to get through the second doorway into the larger dining room area of the house and got ready to defend my position from the alerted zombie. Having no silenced weapons I had to make do with my Winchester and thought if this one zombie comes in I may even try to get him in the dining room and then use the table to trap him whilst I made a relatively quiet exit. Nope, not happening. He came running in and glitched himself right in the dining room doorway but worst of all he was swinging his arms and hitting me from an impossible distance. I had no choice but to shoot ... and that is when Mr. Madness showed his head and I got bum rushed by every zombie that had ever existed throughout every zombie movie and game. It was a tight affair, and I managed to survive. Had great fun, too, but then realised that the Arma 2 engine is going to be a massive problem when trying to deal with these new spawns.

I have no idea how rocket is going to get this to work, as it just seems that this is how Arma 2 handles it's civilian AI - ie weirdly. A lot of zombies in towns is a great idea on paper, but like a few canny posters have mentioned, the Arma engine is not really designed for Splinter Cell super ninja approaches.

I hope this can be resolved as I really like the idea of having to watch the zombies to pick my optimal survival route as that is how I play the mod. Hell, it may even be one of the better ways to enforce good teamplay and cut down on the new influx of troll bandits who just happily shoot any passer by without any interaction or forethought, rather just to see the attacked player get angry in chat.

Great work so far, rocket, happy birthday etc ... let's see how this pans out and let's hope you can find a workaround to deal with the engine's issues. The Arma 2 engine is a thing of beauty, it really is, but I feel the scope and vision you have for this mod may get a bit hamstrung by the engine in the long run.

We seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. Yesterday when I played even the bigger towns like Stary and Cherno seemed to only have a few lonely zombies standing around on the loot spawns and it was obvious that the map was far too sparsely populated with zeds. Now its too far the other way and the only real strategy for raiding towns is to aggro the zombies and then pick them off from a distance with a group.

I would be all in favour of this number of zombies if the AI was more refined. If zombies were less perceptive and were more easily distracted (with cans for instance) then it would be easier to move through towns without having to clear the whole place before you move in. It would be nice if zombies didn't literally spawn on top of you too.

I just wanted to share our initial reactions to the new update. We logged in after 1.5.7' date=' and we didn't much care for it. We were sitting North of Povlovo, and based on what we saw, we didn't even want to play because we wouldn't have a hope clearing these zeds or sneaking past them (since Arma was clearly never Splinter Cell ;) so, we just logged off.[/quote']

^This. Exactly this.

Life is hard. Sometimes its so hard some people give up.

You could be that person too, commit suicide in the face of the zombie apocalypse and choose not to deal with it.

I just wanted to share our initial reactions to the new update. We logged in after 1.5.7' date=' and we didn't much care for it. We were sitting North of Povlovo, and based on what we saw, we didn't even want to play because we wouldn't have a hope clearing these zeds or sneaking past them (since Arma was clearly never Splinter Cell ;) so, we just logged off.[/quote']

^This. Exactly this.

The entire point of a "zombie apocalypse" is that you are completely overwhelmed by their sheer numbers.

In DayZ, I believe they want to have these dudes more like "infected" and not daddy's zombies, which I agree is more relevant to our early 21st century fears. That means you'll get rabid fast mofos, that will never give up.

Despite these new breeds of Zs, as tradition, the infection "[..]has wiped out most of the world's population" (quoting the website), so they are still going with the 98% of them, 2% of us. That means NOT being able to go into a town to scavenge without insane risks IS logical and actually the entire point.

wd202.jpg

This is what we need, if the servers can handle it :)

People just want to play a zombie survival game without the zombies, and the need for survival.

I mean, that's why they play a zombie mod thinking it'll be fun and peaceful.... on an ArmA2 engine of all things. You know, the software thats more simulation than game.

i dont have any problem to survive whit the new patch 1.5.7 ( only bandits kill me )

i play zday from the his first alpha

some people dont like the new zombies volume

maybe they dont know to much the arma 2 engine ( i play Cold War Crisis from 2001 ) and they are new to the mod

i think the mod can have training servers and normal servers

normal server:

crooshair off,

3rd person camera off,

full volume zombies

training server:

crooshair on,

3rd person camera on,

low volume zombies