Since there has been more and more pvp in-game body armor would be a great addition making users more resilient to bullets and making the shooter think twice before capping a victim because the would just waist there bullets. Just a suggestion. Post below if you like the idea. Thanks for reading! :D

• Like 3

Body armor cant stop anything above a shotgun or pistol. Its rare to be engaged by those, and I dont think the community wants body armor. I know I dont.

I expect this is already calculated in, since most player models are shown as wearing ballistic vests and the damage done by handguns is considerably lower than that done by rifles (though that could just be the normal outcome of a faster bullet). The zeds are supposed to be normal humans with odd behavior, and I know players can take more hits than them (excepting headshots).

Body Armor has different levels and depending on the distance you are engaged from and what level of protection you are wearing (up to Level IV), it can stop at least one shot from a 7.62x39 (AK Variants, etc), multiple shots from a 5.56 (M4, M16, etc), Most handgun rounds and, most shotgun rounds.

Why not add it? Would be nice to have a bit of extra protection. I'd want to see the ballistics model done right though. I dont want to have a Level IV and it stop 14 rounds from an AK, I want to take a round to the chest, fall prone and have a broken rib, and if i get shot again, I should die.

SoF: Dont speak for others and do your research before you post.

Good idea. +1 here.

• Like 1

I think its a great idea. As Imperator said, have varying degrees of armor. The armor would not help against zombie attacks, but it may give a survivor a chance to defend himself if he's shot in the back with a shotgun. I don't know about anybody else, but I've never gotten into a firefight with a bandit. I always get shot in the back without even knowing they were there.

im all for vests and helmets if it can be put in.. and the vests that the character uses is nothing more then LBE gear maybe call it a plate carrier.. dosent necessary mean its armored or not... but it could be the real thing is reducing the trauma a level 1-2 vest basicly more a flack jacket meaning its not realy intended to stop bullets but more.. shrapnel from explosions still should slightly reduce damage from shots... maybe giveing it a small chance to stop the makarov though youd still get blood lose from the trauma you wouldn't start bleeding from it now level 3 should stop pellets and 9mm of all sorts and even have a good chance to stop the 1911 meaning you will take much less blood damage and not start bleeding being hit by it ... level 4 stopping all handguns (inless you put something like the 500 S&W in the game) and a huge reduction in chances of bleeding from most rifles and of corse reduced blood damage from just about everything excluding the m107 =p also stops shotguns quite effectivly pellets would do nearly nothing to a vest and slugs would just knock the wind out of em and cause some nasty bruising id imagine ... im not an expert but i have looked them up before so id say this is a fairly close representation of them...

I really like the idea of having extra body armor as loot, the way that imperator pointed out seems to be really good.

I'm guessing to help balance it each tier of body armor should slow you down or make you more noisy when moving. And the in-game item would look no different then the ghillie suit spawn packaging.

+1 on this. I would love body armour loot to be part of the game!

Agree with the armour I mean, that's a realistic feature. Why are there no police stations in the game? They wear armour too! Come on let's have some police stations please Rocket :)

Not sure about the random spawning of lvl 1-5 armour though. The hardcore players putting in 12 hours+ a day will soon get all that and be very, very hard to kill or escape from.

In my opinion, ANY extra protection I can put between me and bullets is beneficial. Even if you can maybe scavenge a helmet, so people can't cap you in the back of the head as easily?

And yeah, I think it would still have to be very weak - the game is about teetering on the verge of death :P It would ruin it if it was possible to be invincible - the strategy would change from be smart to survive, to find ALL THE ARMOUR! to survive :P

Just for examle, armor that made it harder for zombies to make you start bleeding, for example could work, and it could have little effect on bullet power.

Glad to see everyone is liking this idea so far, over my workday I thought up a few ways to balance this, and keep the gameplay fun for everyone. Since we are all realism nuts to at least some degree here is what different Plates (Level I, IIA, II, IIIA, III, and IV) protect people from IRL.

Level I: .22 Calibre Long Rifle and Pistol Rounds, and .38 Calibre Pistol Rounds.

Level IIA: 9mm and lower rounds and .357 Magnum Rounds

Level II: Same Calibres as IIA, however can deal with higher velocity rounds better (Different bullets have different grains of gunpowder loads, making them move faster out of the barrel of a gun).

Level IIIA: Protects the user from 9mm, .44 and .44 Magnum Rounds

Level III: Hard Plate with Soft TraumaPlate behind, this plate must protect the user from 6 shots from a 7.62mmx51mm Ball Round. This is the beginning of serious military and police hardware.

Level IV: Same as level III but must also protect the user from one Armor Piercing Round (30.06 Round).

Okay, now we all know what levels do what lets talk about game mechanics:

1. Durability: A Vest should have a durability and when hit by a certain type of round it will degrade that durability based upon the type of bullet and the type of armor. It cannot be repaired again, this is not the way body armor works, when its done.. its done.

2. Rarity: This is not an item every character should be able to find, Note to BIS: Where are the Police Stations in Chernarus??!!?!, we should be able to find this item on military bases, police stations and very very very rarely elsewhere. Its not a superman item, just something to add protection to your "scavenging" runs in the big cities.

3. Balance Mechanics: AS50's, Barrets, Headshots, need i say more? We dont need something to balance these out, we just need them to be rare enough to make them a "OMG OMG OMG OMG BODY ARMOR!!" find :)

4. Weight: The bigger the plates you wear, the slower your going to go.. thats just life. And thats the way we balance out the added strength of having a plate that can stop a few bullets on your chest.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also as a note to people thinking people will be invincibile wearing body armor, look at any modern war zone and look at how many people come back missing arms, legs and having multiple bullet wounds.

When you unload an AK on someone in DayZ your prolly gonna hit them somewhere other than the chest. Besides, aim for the head. It doesnt make you invincible just makes things a little more interesting.

• Like 1