Sign in to follow this  
vgeurten

Started - Loved it - Spent 55 hours gearing up - got hacked

It all started with having to upgrade my ancient, out-of-rock-carved PC as MS dropped support for XP. I bought one powerful enough to run Arma II and DayZ. I am not much of a gamer as my life revolves around military training (eat, sleep, train, repeat), however, I have spent countless of hours on Operation Flashpoint,  so I know my way around a mouse and keyboard.

Preparation

After spending 30 + hours just reading about how to do stuff before even playing (Merino Z's guides were very helpful) I was ready to go together with a buddy of mine.

studying-student-cartoon.jpg

First life - first death

Quite successful, geared up just fine (Loaded 1911, basic necessities, maps and first aid) and mostly hid in the woods. To be fair, we were not very tactical yet and more laid back (standing on roads, walking in open area's).

Then, we hiked around NWAF by a long walk to avoid detection and entered from the noth. Went in to semi-tactical mode and raided the whole field getting geared very well. Then, my buddy gets shot standing on the road. Fair. I am getting shot up in the 2-story watch-tower while laying up a shot at a zombie. Very intense as I can't stand up to look (1st p view only) and can't go down either. Getting shot at again. Bullets wizzing by. What a rush! I wait for the enemies reload - climb the ladder down and suddenly I'm in a hail of bullets again. Dead. All fair and squire IMO. We should of been out of there a long time ago but we dicked around to much, were too much in the open, no covering. n00b-style-y0!

Bullet-sideways_2_2791751k.jpg

Second life - slippery rocks

My buddy get's KoS'ed 4 times: "Hi, I'm frie BANG." .. "Don't sho...BANG". "BANG". "Nice to meet you, thanks for the gu..BANG". Finally he ends up with a broken his leg in Berezino. I avoid people and cities on my way to rescue him, getting supplies along the way. Yay, found some sticks! Rescue on the way! Then I try to go around the gravel pit at Solnichni and... somehow my character drops down and.. you guessed it, dies. We both laugh it off.

Vertigo-Motif-Saboteur-Fry-600px.jpg

Third life - third floor trap

Later on, we are raiding some town, decently equipped but low on ammo and encounter a hostile player in a police station. My buddy gets KoS'ed instantly, but manages to warn me. I'm trapped on the 2nd floor and in an attempt to help my bud, turn around and get shot at. I just manage to squeeze off a round and hit a leg before getting KIA. Now I'm a bit disappointed with all the hostility in the game. It seems that KoS is the standard, not the exception. Reading up this forums seems to confirm it.

965238_zps55737702.jpg

Fourth life - out comes spec-op mentality and it works ace.

Now I have dug up an Army Rangers Field Manual on survival and urban warfare tactics. Now we are soldiering on very well, getting geared up, staying stealthy. Issuing short commands, alternating covering tactics, patiently scout stuff ahead, closing doors behind us, checking our 6'clock every 20 steps etc. Gear level very high, M4's, Mosin's, silenced FNX, full on camo and so forth. Avoided all players and most zombies. Only thing missing were some bulletproof jackets. Entering a military base we stumble across a player who comes rushing out of a barrack. We point at him and he declares friendly. We invited him to run between us from the open into the woods to talk and exchange stuff and so we did. Great encounter, exchanged some small stuff and parted our ways. Some faith restored. I couldn't be happier. 30 or more hours pass by and we are now in full on tactical mode. 

marsoc-sniper-50.jpg

The hacker.

Carefully approaching NWAF, crawling most of the way or keeping a low profile AT a pitch-black NIGHT we enter the first barracks. Raid it, raid the next and punch out.

In the woods we re-organize to go in again. No lights, all dark, crawling and with only ONE other person on the whole map besides us two. Inside the barracks, my buddy goes off to search and I am about to turn around and cover the entrance.

BOOM.

Door opens, shots fired. I fire at the muzzle flash and while being hit, I can see and HEAR my shots impact. At the same time my buddy turns on his M4-weapon flashlight, points at the door and last thing we see is some guy with no gear at all, just a fresh-spawn outfit and a suppressed M4 firing. Quite a lot of rounds.

hqdefault.jpg

The end

Now this amazed us, even disappointed us. What are the chances, to run into a single player? In total darkness? Without having used any light? Slim. And how does a guy get from the beach, all the way to the NWAF with no gear at all but a T-shirt? And how could he have taken so many hits from point blank range, from two rifles? How could he fire off so many rounds? Than it dawned on my - a hacker. With simple googling and YouTubing I am stunned at the hacking possibilities..

hqdefault.jpg

DayZ is hacked, and in my opinion not worth it anymore - or is it?

Now my whole motivation to play is gone really. What's the point of spending countless hours gearing up to be killed by some "mom's basement jerkoff kiddie" who teleports, floats, infinite ammo's you and (apparently) can see at night? I don't see the point of it anymore, at least not until they get this hacker thing sorted. So how are you all playing? Just accepting you can die unfairly any moment or is there a certain remedy?

Right now, we've bought ARMA II and going to play that for a while. Hope I haven't bored you with my long story and love to hear your thoughts.

• Like 4

Hacking is something the devs have been trying to get rid of since forever. In fact they have almost rewritten the entire game to put everything on the server but like always people find ways. Doesn't help that the origins of this game is ARMA 2 which effectively gave you complete control over everything.

Anyway it seems like you had fun, don't let one hacker ruin it. They are actually quite rare.

Yes very nice, I enjoyed it beans for you - having played 600+ hours on SA I have encountered one hacker, perhaps not a hacker to the hardcore types, but he was glitched in the bottom of the blockhouse, next to the ATC tower at NEAF

Edited by tiadashi

I've seen a few of these posts about the 'fresh spawn with m4' hacker....

chances are that it is a hacker....

but there is also the chance that the guy could have spawned, made a bee-line straight for the airfield and picked up the m4 with bullets, this would explain him being in a new spawn skin... It's unlikely but it is a possibility... some people work under the false belief in this game that people won't attack them if they look like a fresh spawn...

there is also the possible scenario that the guy was a fresh spawn on a different server, ran to the airfield that had already been mostly looted, was only able to find an m4 and decided to server hop to try and find more loot....

they are all possible scenarios and unfortunately given the apparent prevalence of hackers in SA they become more unlikely as time goes on but it's something to think about before screaming "HACKS"

as for him taking the point blank bullets, that could just be desync (not neccesarily between your clients, but his)...  more than likely it is a hacker.

I've only played DayZ for about 30 hours and as far as i'm aware I haven't come across a single hacker yet but I know they exist as it's an internet game and well, hacking and the internet go hand-in-hand.

The way I deal with it is basically, If someone gets a warm glow in the belly by only being able to kill me by cheating, then good for him, at least I know that my kills are legitimate.  Sure it's annoying to die and lose all of your stuff but it doesn't really take too long to get that gear again, it's not like you've paid real money for the items so there's no need to get so attached.

I play EVE online and I lost a tengu because I was being stupid (about 1bn ISK value),  everyone in my corp was going crazy at me for losing it, I just laughed it off and pointed out that it was Internet Money in an internet game.  There is no "Real World" loss, games are games and should be enjoyed as games... personally I actually find the looting and gearing up more fun than anything else in SA at the moment, once you've got everything you need, what more is there to do than to go and get into combat... which could end up with you losing everything anyway.

Thanks for all the input everyone. 

I have to agree on the point that hackers / cheaters are unavoidable in internet games, like flies when there's shit around. It's just reading the last 10 pages of this thread alone http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/168635-whats-the-current-hacking-status-like-in-dayzsa/ makes one very disappointed about how much it is going on.

Well made points by DelaeydReaction, we considered those too. Of course it is just a game and perhaps me and my buddy took it a bit too seriously in hopes it is a true real-world simulator. Apparently it is just a 'online game' like COD or CS, with the effort to simulate real world conditions. I think if one looks at that, losing to cheaters becomes less of an issue.

I guess we'll reconsider after playing Arma II for a bit and hopefully, in the future the game will become more solid and hackerproof.

• Like 1

i did not read all of it, but beans for the work