Sign in to follow this  
Hagon94

Will DayZ ever get rid of it's hit detection problems?

I'm really happy to see some of my major quirks with the game beeing taken seriously and ironed out as the development progresses. But there is one thing I wonder if it will ever be solved. And that issue is hit detection and how you see players in the game world.

Let's take melee combat for example: When fighting another player with melee weapons there is no telling where your hits will land. It's not according to the crosshair in the middle of the screen. It's not consistant from weapon to weapon or even with the same weapon. I don't know how it's calculated at the moment. If someone knows please feel free to say in the comments. You just aim slightly up into the air in the hope of hitting their head for a knock out. Or to the body to make them bleed. And many times even if you aim directly at a player you will get no hits at all. Sometimes a player will aim in the opposite direction and get hits in on you.

As for movement, where you see a player in the game world visually may not be where he actually is. And the same goes for you. You might not be where you think you are. You'll see players skipping all over the place when they are moving rapidly. 

This is thread is not meant to complain but rather to gain some insight into why it is like this and if it ever will be fixed and how.

Thanks.

Melee is a different story. I've never been satisfied with the melee system, nor the way in which zombies actually impart damage to the player. Honestly, I don't really care for melee at all. But that's just me talkin'.

I've never really had an issue with hitreg with the firearms in DayZ/ARMA.

There's of course, a difference between desync and hitreg.

Edited by Katana67

Weapons like axes have swing arcs, they don't hit where you aim them, then hit where their arc is you need to learn the feel for each weapon. Practice on zombies a bit to get a feel for it, or try to strike a wall, but getting you axe to go a half swing, then a full. For stabbing weapons they're all good, they go where you aim them, you might need to compensate for where they are moving too, but that's pretty much a given.

The other issue is Desync really, that's being constantly improved.

My biggest beef is with the time when a hit is actually registered on another player - the second between your enemy receiving a headshot and then dying.

Sometimes my victims tend to even run for another 1-2 meters before falling to the ground. I've seen others mention some of their targets managing to even shoot back within that little time-frame, ending in death of both.

I know it is an ArmA/DayZ issue since the very beginning, but still, it would be nice to be acknowledged.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 1

My biggest beef is with the time when a hit is actually registered on another player - the second between your enemy receiving a headshot and then dying.

Sometimes my victims tend to even run for another 1-2 meters before falling to the ground. I've seen others mention some of their targets managing to even shoot back within that little time-frame, ending in death of both.

I know it is an ArmA/DayZ issue since the very beginning, but still, it would be nice to be acknowledged.

Same here, a bambi was a little to cocky, shot him in head, he had enough time to knock me out before he dropped. 

But then again it was the same way in the mod, so lets hope the devs can figure this out....

Edited by Tumbleweed707

I'm really happy to see some of my major quirks with the game beeing taken seriously and ironed out as the development progresses. But there is one thing I wonder if it will ever be solved. And that issue is hit detection and how you see players in the game world.

Let's take melee combat for example: When fighting another player with melee weapons there is no telling where your hits will land. It's not according to the crosshair in the middle of the screen. It's not consistant from weapon to weapon or even with the same weapon. I don't know how it's calculated at the moment. If someone knows please feel free to say in the comments. You just aim slightly up into the air in the hope of hitting their head for a knock out. Or to the body to make them bleed. And many times even if you aim directly at a player you will get no hits at all. Sometimes a player will aim in the opposite direction and get hits in on you.

As for movement, where you see a player in the game world visually may not be where he actually is. And the same goes for you. You might not be where you think you are. You'll see players skipping all over the place when they are moving rapidly. 

This is thread is not meant to complain but rather to gain some insight into why it is like this and if it ever will be fixed and how.

Thanks.

That has nothing to do with hit detection...

That has nothing to do with hit detection...

" Where your hits will land"

" Has nothing to do with hit detection"

Excuse me, what?

• Like 1

Will DayZ ever get rid of it's hit detection problems?

No, everything is set in stone. It's not like this is an alph... wait a second...

I agree. For whatever reason the melee combat seems very laggy and imprecise. I've been stood next to a zed, swung my axe and no hit was registered. Then on other occasions I've swung my axe, then the hit registers some 2-3 seconds later. Then there is the zed hits, they can seem to hit you from miles away, or even if they have their backs to you etc. The whole gig just seems really glitchy at the moment, I'm sure it will improve though.

No, everything is set in stone. It's not like this is an alph... wait a second...

Hello Grimey Rimey :D How are you today? :p

Something really needs to be done about the hit detection, because like you said in OP, if you get into a fist fight or axe fight, you literally have to hit 5 feet in front or behind the person to actually get the hit detection to work.

I feel like it's because of the people's hit box lagging behind when people run around, and the hit detection isn't locked into the character or something.

I know some people may be horrified for me to compare dayz to left 4 dead, however, the one thing which l4d did really well was that it's melee combat and just general physical contact with zeds was really convincing. Great ragdoll, faultless hit detection and so on. That's kinda what dayz should be looking at.

I still don't understand how people don't realize melee weapons hit where they connect.  Like, how do you not figure that out or follow development enough to realize this is the case?

It's not a fucked up point blank gun like in the mod any more guys, it's actual melee.  Of course every melee weapon is different, they are all different lengths/sizes with different animations.

Also, hit detection isn't actually that bad.  It's lag/network issues/desync and that sort of thing that you're complaining about.  When things actually run smoothly, hit detection works fine.

Edited by Bororm

Actually that is a fairly common problem in online FPS games and one of the things BF4 is dealing with now how many times a second info is bounced back and fourth server to player and back to register a hit base rate now is 10htz there testing 30 htz. You might automaticly think well if 30 is better than 10 make it 30 or higher ( counter strike has standard 60 htz but can be pushed higher). Problems though 1 the higher you make it the more CPU intensive it becomes ( RV engine games already pretty intensive CPU wise) 2 the fastly larger amount of info already being sent because of all the different bits of gear we carry that the server is checking for all the time( and if its hit damaged etc etc) guess what it leads to your favorite problem DESYNC.

These sort of problems are not as easily fixed as that game doesnt do that why does this one yada yada grumble grumble.

As for melee as people have stated its where the model hits the records the hit not were your on screen cursor is but saying that i believe hit boxes are getting a revamp its one of three jobs the new team have hunting animal zed AI and hit boxes....

Actually that is a fairly common problem in online FPS games and one of the things BF4 is dealing with now how many times a second info is bounced back and fourth server to player and back to register a hit base rate now is 10htz there testing 30 htz. You might automaticly think well if 30 is better than 10 make it 30 or higher ( counter strike has standard 60 htz but can be pushed higher). Problems though 1 the higher you make it the more CPU intensive it becomes ( RV engine games already pretty intensive CPU wise) 2 the fastly larger amount of info already being sent because of all the different bits of gear we carry that the server is checking for all the time( and if its hit damaged etc etc) guess what it leads to your favorite problem DESYNC.

These sort of problems are not as easily fixed as that game doesnt do that why does this one yada yada grumble grumble.

As for melee as people have stated its where the model hits the records the hit not were your on screen cursor is but saying that i believe hit boxes are getting a revamp its one of three jobs the new team have hunting animal zed AI and hit boxes....

Yeah, I know why we're experiencing the issue and I disagree with it being common, as I've never seen another multiplayer game take so long to process damage on another player (provided both players have adequate ping). Even the hated WarZ does it more fluid (another player drops dead the minute a bullet hits his/her head).

However, the fact of understanding the problem does not help with coping with it, just as being aware that your leg hurts does not make the pain go away. I was just pointing it out, that this little hit-lag might be a deal breaker for me, if unaddressed at some point in the development. :)

Edited by retro19