Sign in to follow this  
MileyVirus

Feeling Conflicted

I just logged my 100th hour last night! Up to the 99th hour I had never had to kill, but that all changed in hour 100. I thought I would feel differently about it really. I am almost remorseful for doing what had to be done. My group and I made our way to the NWAF and heard what we thought were shots in the distance. Carefully we made our way in the direction we though we'd heard them. Decided to stop and check things out, and seen this guy running straight at us with weapon drawn. My mosin was unforgiving, but I wonder if we could have peacefully resolved the situation.

I guess it could have ended poorly for one of us had I not shot him, but I still wonder. As a side note, he called me a cheating scrub which sort of baffles me. My first kill... I thought it would be something different.

(Sorry there isn't really a point to this, I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around being called a cheater more than anything)

Edited by MileyVirus

Hello there. How many were you? Thinh is, when I'm alone and I see a group of 4 or more, I think first before I act. Chances are not very big to survive in a battle 1vs4, if the four players are not complete newbies ofcourse. 

To resolve such situations peacefully, you guys should've talked to him first. From here you have the following situations:

1. He isn't communicating with you at all, not even chatting. You have no idea how he will act and therefore I would take all his guns and let him live. Handcuffing is a great option but if he logs out, he is dead.

2. He is communicating with you and now you can decide what to do, wait for him to leave your position while pointing your guns at him.

3. He is not very wise and starts to shoot at your group.

4. If he didn't saw you, what I personally think (why would you rush into a group when you know they are already pointing a Mosin at you) You guys could've simply let him pass without letting him to see you.

You did nothing wrong because there are no rules in this game and you may play just the way you want. Only thing why it is better not to kill, is that you have a lot more fun interacting other players ingame, trying to make them put their hands up, asking them if they are not alone here and so on.

Edited by MetapoliC
  • Like 2

As soon as I fired I felt like it could have gone down different. Thanks for the tips, I will absolutely consider them in the future. To answer your initial question, there were 4 of us, we had been pretty quiet the whole time so I'm not positive he knew we were around. Hard to say really, but we had been in the same area for around 30 minutes (based on the shots we heard earlier). I think I'll chalk this up to "heat of the moment" and make more of an effort to not be a random murderer in the future.

Thanks again for the reply, and the tips..

• Like 1

Don't let em get to ya. I have been reported as a hacker to my old mod server admins many times by people. I always used to admit my kills, so maybe I asked for it lol A lot of times the admins were listening in on IRC and knew it wasn't a hack. On the odd occasion they weren't id get flamed for ages. Even people trying to warn new joiners about the "hacker" whos online. Then when ya get some backup in the form of posted log entries....they rq lol

Bottom line is most dayz players think that if they didn't see it coming it was a hack.....99% of the time its a legit kill lol

Edited by Karmaterror

Insults are an old and traditional part of battle

They have been around for a long long time (and there are some good ones)

Some are handed down for generations

I don't think people usually say nice things to each other, or about each other, when they are fighting to the death or getting ready for it.

I was feeling a little silly about the whole remorse thing, but then I think of the effort I put into gearing and it reminds me how much I hated getting killed. Such is life I suppose...

The fact that he went for the post death trash talk/accusations means you did the right thing.

If possible make it slow and painfull next time :)

Dude I got called  hacker after this event:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/163211-the-day-in-the-life-of-an-utter-expert/

Just don't let it get to you :)

I hate KoS but I won't deny an awesome story. Also that thread was a masterful piece of troll, and this all coming from a medic who is fairly new to the game, and a veteran (observer) of gamefaqs troll threads.

You acted in the moment to the unknown, no need to feel bad, I did at first for my first kill as well, analyze it, try taking a different path next time and see what works. All you can do, it's no different from learning to play team fortress 2, Banjo Kazooie, or anything else. you make choices, screw up, and try again. That unknown is what MAKES games like dayz and its various spinoffs. No Regret, No remorse, Only madness.

• Like 1

nah I wouldn't feel bad man you were in NWAF up there its kill or be killed I'm surprised you havn't had to kill before that. I too have a few kills I actually regret I was just being a total bastard. but then there are those kills that if I could I would've revived the guy just to murder him again. I too try not to kill anymore I find stealth more enjoyable but I do love running into those snipers for some reason the word flank isn't in there vocabulary or the words situational awareness.good luck OP.

The fact that he went for the post death trash talk/accusations means you did the right thing.

If possible make it slow and painfull next time :)

yeah some fools just havn't learnt you don't tell a guy with a gun to your head to go fuck himself and for some reason its mixed in there with the words don't kill me. which I have learned both of those phrases usually causes the gun to go off.

• Like 2