JimmyGate

Alright, I am finally concerned about the standalone

Not sure about everyone, but in general you should be right.

Well, just a thought, is it really the right way to complain about everything folk comes across in a quite rude manner (as seen so many times)?

Thing is, no one has something about constructive criticism. But this angry posts full of exorbitant (and often pointless) demands that screw over everything positive that has been done ... I can't see how that could help.

That crying about bugs ... in an alpha ... :rolleyes:

isnt that what's alpha's for? bringing up bugs and fixing them?

A game being alpha doesnt make it immune to complaining of any sort.

People complain about bugs on standalone because most of those bugs werent on the mod, that was supposed to be a cruder version of what the game would be.

We expected to see the game at least in the same state of the mod is right now, but it's WAY worse, and they're charging for it.

Right now we have less things than we had in the mod, more bugs and time's passing.

And you'll see, people will quote this post and say "go play the mod then" or "you didnt have to buy the game", as the fanboy army is used to. Taking things personally wont help anyone nor the development, it will only make the community turn to shit and the game stagnant.

Edited by lipemr
  • Like 1

You're confusing alpha with beta.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone quote Rocket yet stating, "at its core it is broken".  Perhaps we are going to start seeing why he said that if we haven't already.  What will happen once he does leave? 

So many well made posts on this topic too!  You know when posts make you stop and think that they are we'll made.  Hopefully we can keep that up and not attack/troll each other. 

Edited by JimmyGate

You're confusing alpha with beta.

so what's alpha for. Explain to me, genius.

When people bring up the lack of content, "OHH LOOK, alpha isnt for content, it's for fixing the foundation of the game"

When people bring up the cronic flaws of the game engine "OOH LOOK, alpha isnt for bug fixing, it's for adding content, beta is for bug fixing"

That's turning into a stupid cat and rat game where we all lose in the end.

• Like 1

so, in your mind, negative feedback will make devs sad and they wont be able to make it into a sucessful game?

oh dear...

Devs hurry or normalize the progress based on three things: Schedule, Competition and Popularity

Rocket proved us that he doesnt care for the first one multiple times on the last year. Competition is still not present, and possibly will never be. The only thing left is popularity.

the game losing populatiry will hurt future games that rocket or BIS release. They already got paid for standalone, but if it turns out to be a scam, their next game is doomed.

No,in your mind, you have all the answers for what is ailing this game,the devs and,the studio all in one lump sum.You know nothing about how any of it works.You just like to post shit that sounds like you do and gets others to vent about it along with you.In my experience of how things work in life,it benefits the ones who are optimistic and have hope and, remain positive.No matter the consequences.Those that constantly bitch,sit around and tell others how it should be get ignored eventually.They learn that if they want real change they have to do it themselves or STFU.So after putting in over 300 hours of the SA and almost 2 years into the original mod,I think I got my money's worth whether it goes tit's up today or finishes out in the future.I hope that it ends up well so I think I'll hang on a bit longer to see what it brings.If you don't think you have then get your money back or take a $30 loss.Its not gonna change a thing on how it progresses but, it sure will make a difference to the devs and the folks that want this to succeed.So if you have any more remarks based on the principle of spending $30 on an ALPHA still in the works,save it.Let it get to be a bit closer to the beta before bitching so much about the perfect $30 zombie survival game that YOU'VE been promised.

• Like 1

Now you're simply being intentionally ignorant.

Dunno why i shall be the only one being warned. report

Anyway...

Remember that opinions are like the balls and everyone has theirs... And i do not say things by opinions, but by the facts. Facts says that already 2 years have passed, and probably will take 2 more other years to be done if development runs at this speed.

Because of them, because of the engine, because of everything, maibe also the freemasonry on BI, the Leemon Brothers failure, the worldwide crysis, the Greece default, the Span Default, the Italy Crysis, the German Euro monopoly, the death of Bin Laden, the spare parts of my Ssangyong i can't find...who knows?!...

Do they get founds from the Mod as a starting from development? That's a good starting ok.....But i wasn't worry if it wasn't enough to cover 5 years of production....they had to find another source, money doesn't rain from the sky

So instead of wasting much more time for typing things over things that will bring us nowhere i will give you a word of wisdom:  "Time will tell....soon or later, time will tell"  (Einstein, Red Alert 1995)

Enjoy

Edited by GunnyITA

If they were to scratch it or rebuild it then we would have to wait even LONGER for the game to come out and we would have to hear more complaints from trolls around here. 

Honestly though, would we really be that upset about it?  Think about it....

At this point, many people seem concerned with the current game and that the engine and netcode prevents DayZ from being DayZ.  We have all seen and experienced the problems with the bugs, the desync, and other issues with the game.  Imagine if Bohemia came out and said they are scratching the current version of the standalone, apologize, explain everything we already know.  I for one would be actually understanding and be thankful they realize they messed up.  They begin building DayZ on the ARMA 3 engine.  Now realizing its potential the team is much larger and more money goes into it since the alpha has made a lot of money. 

With a new core and netcode in place, a larger team, and lessons learned, Bohemia would be able to deliver us a much better game which we would all be happy with.  So now, were happy and guess who else is happy?  Bohemia!  Why you ask?  Because those 1.7 million buyers now are going to buy the new DayZ on Arma 3 engine plus however many more.  We as consumers are happy because we get the game we want, Bohemia is happy because they make alot of $ off of it.  Everyone is happy.

Is that really THAT bad of a strategy moving forward?  If anything that could be the BEST strategy moving forward for the company and for us as consumers. 

Edited by JimmyGate

Honestly though, would we really be that upset about it?  Think about it....

At this point, many people seem concerned with the current game and that the engine and netcode prevents DayZ from being DayZ.  We have all seen and experienced the problems with the bugs, the desync, and other issues with the game.  Imagine if Bohemia came out and said they are scratching the current version of the standalone, apologize, explain everything we already know.  I for one would be actually understanding and be thankful they realize they messed up.  They begin building DayZ on the ARMA 3 engine.  Now realizing its potential the team is much larger and more money goes into it since the alpha has made a lot of money. 

With a new core and netcode in place, a larger team, and lessons learned, Bohemia would be able to deliver us a much better game which we would all be happy with.  So now, were happy and guess who else is happy?  Bohemia!  Why you ask?  Because those 1.7 million buyers now are going to buy the new DayZ on Arma 3 engine plus however many more.  We as consumers are happy because we get the game we want, Bohemia is happy because they make alot of $ off of it.  Everyone is happy.

Is that really THAT bad of a strategy moving forward?  If anything that could be the BEST strategy moving forward for the company and for us as consumers. 

1. Why do they need to apologize? They shouldn't have to at all. 2. By the time DayZ comes out early access or even full release, the Arma 3 engine will be irrelevant and old. Real Reality Engine 4 is supposedly in the makes, and if it is then building DayZ on RE3 would be pointless.

• Like 1

1. Why do they need to apologize? They shouldn't have to at all. 2. By the time DayZ comes out early access or even full release, the Arma 3 engine will be irrelevant and old. Real Reality Engine 4 is supposedly in the makes, and if it is then building DayZ on RE3 would be pointless.

That's the problems, it is going to be so old that other companyes will probably copy nad paste Dayz and change the name.

It's legal!

If i am  software house company manager that is following this promising project, i do copy it! I got the money, i do hire the staff and....and I don't care, i'm gonna doing NightZ, ZeroD, ZombieD or else... Chineses doing the same and the are the bosses and new rulers of the world.

So as much time passes, as many people probably will leave....and other companies will follow from distance the project and copy it.

Edited by GunnyITA

Dunno why i shall be the only one being warned. report

Anyway...

Remember that opinions are like the balls and everyone has theirs... And i do not say things by opinions, but by the facts. Facts says that already 2 years have passed, and probably will take 2 more other years to be done if development runs at this speed.

Because of them, because of the engine, because of everything, maibe also the freemasonry on BI, the Leemon Brothers failure, the worldwide crysis, the Greece default, the Span Default, the Italy Crysis, the German Euro monopoly, the death of Bin Laden, the spare parts of my Ssangyong i can't find...who knows?!...

Do they get founds from the Mod as a starting from development? That's a good starting ok.....But i wasn't worry if it wasn't enough to cover 5 years of production....they had to find another source, money doesn't rain from the sky

So instead of wasting much more time for typing things over things that will bring us nowhere i will give you a word of wisdom:  "Time will tell....soon or later, time will tell"  (Einstein, Red Alert 1995)

Enjoy

So far you've dragged Infogames and Westwood, Max Payne, Duke Nukem and the last decade's economical crysis into the discussion. You're constantly changing direction, which is why I concluded, you were being purposely ignorant. 

DayZ mod sold as many ArmA 2 copies as the Standalone has and that's a whole lot of money. These almost 4 million copies, where primarily sold by word of mouth, from gamer to game, from friend to friend. I don't know which friend recommended you to buy the Standalone, but you were warned in allcaps on the sales page, both about the status of the game and the development road map. 

You can attemtp claim ignorance about all these warnings or simply eject them, because "I know it's alpha, but... ,"  but you had all the resources in the world to inform yourself on youtube, twitch, reddit, here and yes even on the sales page. Yet you failed to manage your own expectations, which is why you bought something and expected something else.

• Like 4

A game being alpha doesnt make it immune to complaining of any sort.

People complain about bugs on standalone because most of those bugs werent on the mod, that was supposed to be a cruder version of what the game would be.

We expected to see the game at least in the same state of the mod is right now, but it's WAY worse, and they're charging for it.

Right now we have less things than we had in the mod, more bugs and time's passing.

If you want to contribute to the development progress, then bugs should be reported - not be complained about like cray on the forums. I also doubt that ranting about it does anything good.

As said countless times, they are developing most parts of DayZ new. That means they are not just "copy and pasting" old code. We get new models, new textures, new game mechanics and step by step new sounds, which currently are placeholders.

Developing things new is a very time consuming job and in regards of source code, the progress is not exactly "visible". Yeah, people want some fancy new stuff and they want it now, but that's just a question of time until we get it.

And you'll see, people will quote this post and say "go play the mod then" or "you didnt have to buy the game", as the fanboy army is used to. Taking things personally wont help anyone nor the development, it will only make the community turn to shit and the game stagnant.

I'm not the one who says that, but I sometimes actually do play the mod myself. It helps to see the differences.

Edited by Ken Bean
  • Like 5

No one knows if the game will be finished to satisfaction, there is no point arguing either way about it, we just have to wait.

People who think this is normal progress for the alpha stage, I genuinely wonder if you have ever been part of an alpha test before, because compared to other games, this isn't improving as fast.

Saying that, most alphas I've been a part of have had a MUCH better foundation to work from, this engine just isn't that great, which is why people are asking if the core mechanics will be improved,

One of my primary concerns is the physics, which apparently is going to be implemented soon, this will bring a lot of polish to the overall game if done correctly.

The other is the zombies, this is a very big concern for me, the 'improvements' the dev team seem to be making are minor adjustments, which suggest they may not be intending an overhaul of the AI and melee aspects of zombie interaction, again this maybe improved by physics.

In summery, we have to be patient but I fully understand the concerns on the progress of the development and how the game will fit together.

Edited by tenshu

So far you've dragged Infogames and Westwood, Max Payne, Duke Nukem and the last decade's economical crysis into the discussion. You're constantly changing direction, which is why I concluded, you were being purposely ignorant. 

DayZ mod sold as many ArmA 2 copies as the Standalone has and that's a whole lot of money. These almost 4 million copies, where primarily sold by word of mouth, from gamer to game, from friend to friend. I don't know which friend recommended you to buy the Standalone, but you were warned in allcaps on the sales page, both about the status of the game and the development road map. 

You can attemtp claim ignorance about all these warnings or simply eject them, because "I know it's alpha, but... ,"  but you had all the resources in the world to inform yourself on youtube, twitch, reddit, here and yes even on the sales page. Yet you failed to manage your own expectations, which is why you bought something and expected something else.

Eh Mister? Calm down and sit down over a sharp rock.

i don't write 8 lines as you did, I just resume on 3 lines the life of dayzstandalone, based on a  math formula

"Dayz standalone got founds from dayz mod that earned more than Arma2. After 2 years game is still pre alpha and is selling millions of pre-order copyes, till now 1,7 millions. Nowadays game is still pre-alpha and need for sure 2 more years of development, and the new hired staff bring the same patch from test servers on regulars, with noticeable visual glitches like invisible canned tuna. Without mention ghosts zombies cross the walls."

I based the things on facts and math not on bla bla bla . Facts and math! And thx you to remind the that Dayzmod sold more than Arma2, i was to forget it.

So now, here in my country we do say:

"Mister? you can't climb over the mirrors"

If you understand you do understand, if you don't understand you do understand anyway.

Edited by GunnyITA

If you want to contribute to the development progress, then bugs should be reported - not be complained about like cray on the forums. I also doubt that ranting about it does anything good.

As said countless times, they are developing most parts of DayZ new. That means they are not just "copy and pasting" old code. We get new models, new textures, new game mechanics and step by step new sounds, which currently are placeholders.

Developing things new is a very time consuming job and in regards of source code, the progress is not exactly "visible". Yeah, people want some fancy new stuff and they want it now, but that's just a question of time until we get it.

I'm not the one who says that, but I sometimes actually do play the mod myself. It helps to see the differences.

New models, textures, game mechanics and new sounds does not make a new game. 

ACE had all of this stuff, was it a new game? 

A new game is supposed to have new models, textures game mechanics and sounds.

But all of it does not mean it is a new game. 

That fact that this is even being brought up is troublesome. 

I don't see games like gta5 saying...o guys new sounds. This is to be expected. 

?

ACE is an Arma 2 mod and is heavily built on Arma 2. It adds tons of new stuff and changes some existing, but yep, it's still a mod.

Also the DayZ-Mod is heavily based on Arma 2. Btw: "BP" (I'm not gona advertise it) just re-uses existing Arma 2 and DayZ-Mod assets modded into Arma 3.

It's important to understand that just taking existing stuff is way faster done than developing new content.

Edited by Ken Bean

But it does have new models with new textures and new animations that are entirely different than the original Mod.The sounds will probably be redone before its all over with too.I don't understand what your point is.So you are saying that the SA is not a new game because it possesses the same strategy/objective as the original mod?

• Like 1

Well, starting by the fact you put anyone who talk anything bad about the game as "whiny mofos" and all the white knights diehard-wannabe as "patient fans", it seems clear that you take things personally about this game.

nowadays most of the people defending days flaws take shit personally when we say anything, and that's the problem. It's like a new religion, "talk bad things about my game and i'll consider you an enemy".

The fact is that we're all here by the same motivation: trying to make the game better.

But obviously some people here dont have life experience enough and think only compliments and support can make things get on track, when it's not like it. Without pression, things dont get done IRL.

People are calling it whining and crying because it is non-constructive bitching about every little thing, then calling everyone who doesn't agree with you an an idiot, fanboy, or blind.

We are not unaware of the bugs nor do we want them to stick around. There is just a constructive way to do it, go read the bug tracker and some of the thought out posts in the suggestion section. Some of us have participated in alpha releases such as Arma 3 and have faith in them delivering a good final product.

The problem is the good suggestions and helpful feedback gets constantly hidden in a pile of complaining, causing a lot of guys who have put time and thought into their ideas to maybe never have them receive proper notice.

I for one understand what in development means, advantages to me is at this early stage I may be able to make suggestions and Input to aid in development. There is always periods where no progress may appear to be happening on our end, but certain larger updates require more work to tie it into the build, and just take longer. The focus of development in alpha is to get all the features in the game working in a mostly playable state, beta will tidy that up and possibly add a few more things, full release will happen when they are happy it is polished, and will still require support after that.

My position is, you obviously have no understanding of how development works and probably should just wait till the game is done. Complaining the way you have won't solve anything or suddenly change the way development is done, because catering to you won't have the game done any faster.

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 3

?

ACE is an Arma 2 mod and is heavily built on Arma 2. It adds tons of new stuff and changes some existing, but yep, it's still a mod.

Also the DayZ-Mod is heavily based on Arma 2. Btw: "BP" (I'm not gona advertise it) just re-uses existing Arma 2 and DayZ-Mod assets modded into Arma 3.

It's important to understand that just taking existing stuff is way faster done than developing new content.

I would not say the dev process is fast right now. If this is fast god only knows what slow is.

But it does have new models with new textures and new animations that are entirely different than the original Mod.The sounds will probably be redone before its all over with too.I don't understand what your point is.So you are saying that the SA is not a new game because it possesses the same strategy/objective as the original mod?

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to justify dayz being a "new game" and if you do, the textures models and sounds should have nothing to do with it. 

People are calling it whining and crying because it is non-constructive bitching about every little thing, then calling everyone who doesn't agree with you an an idiot, fanboy, or blind.

We are not unaware of the bugs nor do we want them to stick around. There is just a constructive way to do it, go read the bug tracker and some of the thought out posts in the suggestion section. Some of us have participated in alpha releases such as Arma 3 and have faith in them delivering a good final product.

The problem is the good suggestions and helpful feedback gets constantly hidden in a pile of complaining, causing a lot of guys who have put time and thought into their ideas to maybe never have them receive proper notice.

I for one understand what in development means, advantages to me is at this early stage I may be able to make suggestions and Input to aid in development. There is always periods where no progress may appear to be happening on our end, but certain larger updates require more work to tie it into the build, and just take longer. The focus of development in alpha is to get all the features in the game working in a mostly playable state, beta will tidy that up and possibly add a few more things, full release will happen when they are happy it is polished, and will still require support after that.

My position is, you obviously have no understanding of how development works and probably should just wait till the game is done. Complaining the way you have won't solve anything or suddenly change the way development is done, because catering to you won't have the game done any faster.

This.........

Great Post.

I would not say the dev process is fast right now. If this is fast god only knows what slow is.

I didn't say that it is fast. I said developing everything new takes way longer than throwing existing things new together.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to justify dayz being a "new game" and if you do, the textures models and sounds should have nothing to do with it.

Basically you are saying that an entirely new Jacket that consists of new material, new buttons, new lining, new zipper and so on doesn't is a new Jacket because the stile already has been used before?

Edited by Ken Bean

I didn't say that it is fast. I said developing everything new takes way longer than throwing existing things new together.

Basically you are saing that an entirely new Jacket that consists of new material, new buttons, new lining, new zipper and so on doesn't is a new Jacket because the stile alrerady has been used before?

What I am saying is that you can change the button and the zippers and some cool patches on your coat. It will still be the same coat.

JSRS adds new sounds

Blatcore adds new textures

Armed forces adds new models

ALive adds new game mechanics

Ace adds all of the above

Are any of these new games. I know that dayz is its own game, all I am saying is that you do not need to justify it is a new game and if you do sounds and textures is the last on the list to comment on. 

What I am saying is that you can change the button and the zippers and some cool patches on your coat. It will still be the same coat.

JSRS adds new sounds

Are any of these new games. I know that dayz is its own game, all I am saying is that you do not need to justify it is a new game and if you do sounds and textures is the last on the list to comment on.

Yeah, you are right, yourself are saying "adds". Adding to something existing, like adding new buttons to an existing Jacket. It's not exactly the same Jacket than before, it changed a bit, has been "modified", it's not entirely new. The stand alone however intents to develop most, if not all, important core elements new.

Actually I'm glad that they decided to do so. The point is, I gladly wait for new developed stuff. Do you want them to just throw Dayz-Mod assets and Arma2 assets together? I don't want that.

Edited by Ken Bean

Eh Mister? Calm down and sit down over a sharp rock.

i don't write 8 lines as you did, I just resume on 3 lines the life of dayzstandalone, based on a  math formula

"Dayz standalone got founds from dayz mod that earned more than Arma2. After 2 years game is still pre alpha and is selling millions of pre-order copyes, till now 1,7 millions. Nowadays game is still pre-alpha and need for sure 2 more years of development, and the new hired staff bring the same patch from test servers on regulars, with noticeable visual glitches like invisible canned tuna. Without mention ghosts zombies cross the walls."

I based the things on facts and math not on bla bla bla . Facts and math! And thx you to remind the that Dayzmod sold more than Arma2, i was to forget it.

So now, here in my country we do say:

"Mister? you can't climb over the mirrors"

If you understand you do understand, if you don't understand you do understand anyway.

Really so you don't agree with him and wish physical harm to come to him over his opinion or a game?

Could you maybe not wish violence against people here. Go commit violence against him in game instead.

It does not help make the community here a better place for any of us.

Step back a little, there really is no need to take this personally unless you have tons of stock in this company and stand to lose. Of course you are still free to do so if you choose.

JSRS adds new sounds

Yes but the Day standalone has problems from ripping out old legacy mechanics and rebuilding them. Not much is left from the old legacy build anymore. Once all the old is removed/ replaced we will probably start seeing more interesting updates/stability coming, background mechanics are essential but don't always change the perceived player experience.

So yes, when you have cut off the hood from one jacket and the sleaves off another, then rebuilt the body it is essentially a new jacket.

Edited by akafugitive

Really so you don't agree with him and wish physical harm to come to him over his opinion or a game?

Could you maybe not wish violence against people here. Go commit violence against him in game instead.

It does not help make the community here a better place for any of us.

Step back a little, there really is no need to take this personally unless you have tons of stock in this company and stand to lose. Of course you are still free to do so if you choose.

Take a break before writing...because he gave me ignorant twice so i'm not the one to step back first. Understood? understood!