JimmyGate

Alright, I am finally concerned about the standalone

The "netcode" problems with BF4 are extremely minor compared with the problem in "netcode" with DayZ SA and are caused primarily by a low tickrate on the server (10hz). Again, I am only saying that there is no way that SA has better hit reg and less rubberbanding than BF4 in its current state.

^^ Needs waaaaaay more beans. It's a ridiculous comparison.

The "netcode" problems with BF4 are extremely minor compared with the problem in "netcode" with DayZ SA and are caused primarily by a low tickrate on the server (10hz). Again, I am only saying that there is no way that SA has better hit reg and less rubberbanding than BF4 in its current state.

Lol.

I only said that SA is better than BF4, not that the netcode in SA is better than in BF4. Learn to read.

BF4 is a first-person shooter, so the tickrate/netcode is very important. SA is not only about shooting people. So I don't mind it, especially because it's still an alpha, BF4 is released.

I don't even want to compare these games...

Edited by EvilTigerAce

Sure, I'm not a game developer and I don't have any experience at all of how a game takes shape. However, there are certain facts that are easy to see regardless of the depth of my knowledge.

The Standalone has been in development for 18+ months, with a map and engine already in place to build on from Arma. If there wasn't much money to play with before the early access release, there certainly was after it. And what is there to show for it? Aside from the bugs, which are game breaking in themselves, fundamental mechanics such as how weapons handle are years behind their time. It seems as if some elements taken from Arma have just been made worse in the Standalone.

I'm sure that the issues could be ironed out over time, and release level content added. But the way I see it, at this development pace, the whole project will run out of steam long before that happens. Either that or another company will come along and do it better. It's a shame, because DayZ has always had so much potential. Still, it's made a huge mark on the games industry and has shown that there is a taste for hardcore survival games, so we'll always owe it that.

The 'fanboy' phenomenon is far from a new one in the DayZ community. Going back to the early mod days there have been plenty of players who want to stick their fingers in their ears and chant "alpha alpha alpha" and such whenever any criticism is levelled at the mod/game.

I think that Orlok has said it best. Still, I wish I shared his level of optimism.

• Like 2

Just put the game away until it meets your standards and let the devs be the ones concerned about the games health since it is their paycheck that is effected by it.

• Like 1

Please stop with this nonsense. I play BF4 on a regular basis with no issues. And when I say no issues I mean I my entire play experience is bug free. I love both games but what you are saying is untrue.

I hear a lot of people comparing BF4's release, but what they are not comparing it to is BI's past releases in the ARMA series. Nobody can tell me that those were not flawed releases.

I have ignored many people in the past telling me that, "DayZ will never even release," or how "buggy DayZ will always be".  I can't help but be concerned now with the progression of the StandAlone.  It just seems like the "core" of the game is broken.  By that I mean, every time 10 bugs are fixed, 20 more are created.  Then those bugs are fixed and 30 more are created. 

I have been part of a software development project that had this same problem.  10 years later the software is still buggy and constantly has issues.  If the game had not been released to the public, one can not help but wonder if they would scratch the current software/system in place and rebuild it with the new and much larger team. 

I wouldn't at all be shocked if one day DayZ standalone is rushed out the door with tons of bugs and incomplete.  Can you imagine the issues once loot respawn is in place?  Like I said, the core of the game seems broken and in the developers minds it is too late to go back, they have to push forward. 

We'll have to see how Bohemia responds with H1Z1 coming out soon. 

If they were to scratch it or rebuild it then we would have to wait even LONGER for the game to come out and we would have to hear more complaints from trolls around here. 

If they were to scratch it or rebuild it then we would have to wait even LONGER for the game to come out and we would have to hear more complaints from trolls around here. 

Complaints = troll. Apparently.

See, this is the problem.

• Like 4

The thing most people don't realize is that the alpha is not bug quashing while working on the main stuff. The alpha is that outline before a research paper that shows all the high points and topics. you get each topic working at a very BASIC and barebones level. The ultimate goal is the beta, where all bug squashing goes and the refinement and adjustments go. They may make some of these beta adjustments on the fly as needed when someone has free time or when it gets to the point the devs are smashing their heads on the computer cause of something, but for the most part that stuff waits till beta. If you want a fully functioning releasable product by, say, EA you wait till beta. right now what we see is just the tip of the iceberg.

Now as for H1Z1, the video posted a bit earlier is very nice, and looks like what DayZ will hopefully become, however they are in closed beta, not alpha. so things are much smoother and more friendly, however if you look they also have the same issues dayz does with night. DayZ clone? you bet. Better? maybe, maybe not, we will see. We can only judge it once the games are both complete.

• Like 1

I call BS as anytime you play on a server with more than 20 peope, you cant depend on getting a response from your weapon hot key.  You have to push the same button 3 or 5 times.     So are you playing on empty servers or what?

Actually I'm just playing HC. So, I guess I have fewer problems because very few people play HC. Sometimes I have to press a key multiple times to get a weapon out, or I get rubberbanded into the building I was just in, but nothing I would say is broken core mechanics.

• Like 1

We'll have to see how Bohemia responds with H1Z1 coming out soon. 

Cant waiitttttt. It's going to be so good. I'm glad Dean and them paved the way for games like this. Once we get a big developer with stock piles of cash (like SOE) we will finally have an awesome zombie apocalypse game. 

Actually I'm just playing HC. So, I guess I have fewer problems because very few people play HC. Sometimes I have to press a key multiple times to get a weapon out, or I get rubberbanded into the building I was just in, but nothing I would say is broken core mechanics.

Yes. It is actually quicker to go into your inventory and just drag the item you want into your hands. The hot keys are broken

Wish they would. They should have never released it when they did. It should still be in closed Alpha as painful as that may sound. 

• Like 1

Comparing dayz to bf4?

That's like comparing a block of gold to the shit I took this morning. 

At least bf4's engine wasn't created 5 years ago. 

Well, bf4 uses the Frostbite engine which has been used since 2008 and Dayz uses the Arma 2 engine which was released in 2009 (both of which were updated/improved for the newer games).  Not to mention the fact that bf4 still has terrible tickrate, misaligned hitboxes, broken hit registration, and several other 'core mechanics' bugs...and its been out for several months while Dayz is still in alpha state.  So I think its a fair comparison.

For someone to spit on the game and its engine you sure like to play it a lot. Oh well, some people like misery? :)

If 22 hours on standalone is considered a lot then I'm impressed. Much more hours on the mod. And that isn't even a fraction of the hours on arma 2/3

No, no, you see there is HARDLY any sensible complaints here. Most of the time it's mostly rants instead of mature, and intelligent complaints/suggestions.

On 4/23/2014 at 8:53 PM, Hopix said:

Are you seriously going to keep writing like that? As if you're writing out a script with yourself?

On 4/23/2014 at 9:00 PM, orlok said:

Hello there

Yes,

Yes I will

Thanks for contributing to the topic

Rgds

LoK

Was something that Hopix said irrelevant or wrong in any way?

Edited by BadContrakt

You're seeing right now how they're responding. H1Z1 is out in what, 4 weeks?  And now you have rushed, broken patches.

So are they rushing patches or taking too long for patches? I'm so confused........

I'm slightly irritated that you said "thanks for contributing to the topic"; as if something that Hopix said was irrelevant or wrong in any way?

As a part of the DayZ Forum Team I would expect you to be able to form a proper paragraph. I for one agree with him and find your poem-like structure odd and irritating. It draws out your post too much, takes up unnecessary room in the thread, and makes it look unprofessional (like you failed 6th grade).

While  we have different opinions, I kind of like his structure. A change of pace. I used to do it often with out realizing it. 

• Like 1

No, no, you see there is HARDLY any sensible complaints here. Most of the time it's mostly rants instead of mature, and intelligent complaints/suggestions.

The majority of the queries in this thread are perfectly reasonable. It's the posters who disagree with the OP and other people who are concerned who are coming across as the trolls.

Some of the DayZ apologists are a laughing stock in this thread, do you even listen to yourselves?

I think the OP has got a point, and I fear the same things, it's obviously not guaranteed to happen, no one said it was.  

When someone says they are going to play, or mention competition, everyone attacks that product with no idea of what they are attacking, it's the definition of 'blind fanboy'.

If you enjoy DayZ like I do, why do you feel the need to defend it with such intensity? The progress has been painfully slow, the core of the game is still broken (I.e. ZOMBIE survival game), I can only think some people don't want to feel like they have been ripped off by a scam. The truth is you got many hours of fun, so no need to be so angry even if it's not finished to how you imagine it.

Considering the progress of other games and the amount of money the company have made of this product, everyone is well within their right to be angry at the slow progress.

• Like 1

I kind of expect the 1st rendition of the standalone to always have some kind of issues with it(since they have created a lot of new ideas from scratch) I just hope that after this one goes to full release and serves it's time they keep the project going into number 2 with what they have learned.

There is a difference between complaining and being an a**hole. Most of the people in this thread are either A. Deliberately phrasing their complaints in a way that'll piss off as many people as possible. (These are trolls.) B. Too stupid to write eloquently enough that they convey that they are attempting constructive criticism.

Edited by Hefeweizen

As a part of the DayZ Forum Team I would expect you to be able to form a proper paragraph.

As part of the DayZ Forum Team, we are supposed to moderate the forum according to the instructions we've been given. We have no obligation to live up to your personal standards of internet forum post formatting.

Please keep your eye on the ball, not the man.

• Like 3

If you enjoy DayZ like I do, why do you feel the need to defend it with such intensity? The progress has been painfully slow, the core of the game is still broken (I.e. ZOMBIE survival game), I can only think some people don't want to feel like they have been ripped off by a scam. The truth is you got many hours of fun, so no need to be so angry even if it's not finished to how you imagine it.

Because your criticism is baseless and when criticism of something you appreciate is perceived as unwarranted people feel compelled to point that fact out. Of course, you already know that I assume, you're just trying to stir up shi*t.

Progress hasn't been painfully slow, if you actually take into consideration how long the vast majority of games take to get from early alpha to full release. Minecraft for example had its first release in May 2009 and didn't have its full release until November 2011. However early release alphas are generally a new thing and people like yourself are just too dense to understand that going from Alpha to Full release takes time and given that you don't have much to compare it to you're assuming that progress has been slow because you're impatient. 

Because your criticism is baseless and when criticism of something you appreciate is perceived as unwarranted people feel compelled to point that fact out. Of course, you already know that I assume, you're just trying to stir up shi*t.

Progress hasn't been painfully slow, if you actually take into consideration how long the vast majority of games take to get from early alpha to full release. Minecraft for example had its first release in May 2009 and didn't have its full release until November 2011. However early release alphas are generally a new thing and people like yourself are just too dense to understand that going from Alpha to Full release takes time and given that you don't have much to compare it to you're assuming that progress has been slow because you're impatient. 

I compare it to other games I've been an alpha tester on, where are you getting your information from? 

After the Minecraft creator got the company set up, it took them 10 days to go from alpha to beta stage, from a production team WAY smaller than Bis.

You do also realise that the SA announcement was in August 2012, don't confuse the date of the steam release.  

I'm sure you're an expert on alpha dev cycle times, but I'm concerned about the core mechanics of the game and the engine it has been built on, none of which has shown any improvement.

Going through your past posts, you are just a typical person I was talking about, a complete apologist where the devs can do little wrong.

Edited by tenshu
  • Like 1

I compare it to other games I've been an alpha tester on, where are you getting your information from? 

After the Minecraft creator got the company set up, it took them 10 days to go from alpha to beta stage, from a production team WAY smaller than Bis.

Whats your point? BI just bought an entire studio to work on DayZ and I can guarantee that getting them up to speed will take longer than Notch's Java scripters.  It still took more than two years to get from first release to final, on top of that it was coded in Java making it infinitely more simplistic, it uses easy to model/texture block graphics and is entirely procedurally generated. Notch had every advantage in his favor, still took 2.5 years. Not that that is a bad thing, but for f*cks sake learn some perspective son.

Whats your point? BI just bought an entire studio to work on DayZ and I can guarantee that getting them up to speed will take longer than Notch's Java scripters.  It still took more than two years to get from first release to final, on top of that it was coded in Java making it infinitely more simplistic, it uses easy to model/texture block graphics and is entirely procedurally generated. Notch had every advantage in his favor, still took 2.5 years. Not that that is a bad thing, but for f*cks sake learn some perspective son.

I was responding to your point, you brought up minecraft remember?

DayZ SA started at least from August 2012, you think that progress has been good and the completed game is getting closer, until I see the core mechanics (i.e. the zombies, physics, glitches, controls etc) I can't share your optimism.