Jumbaliah

Do you want pooping in this game?

To poop or not to poop  

616 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want pooping?

Good god, 

I cannot believe, there is a civilized topic on this. Why the hell would you want to add this in game. Why not make the game half decent then decide if you want to add such a useless feature.

Imagine it with the text notifications. 

Please

Please tell me this is a joke thread

please

please

I've got bad news, but at this stage it might be already too late.

Back in December I saw the models for DayZ, and one of them was shit falling to the ground and a pile of shit on the ground. 

1 Sec ill try to find the screenshot of the models.

edit : found it

BRaWjjZ.jpg

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 3

Back in December I saw the models for DayZ, and on of them was sit falling to the ground and a pile of shit on the ground. 

This is the straw that broke the camels back. I cannot take this development progress seriously anymore. 

• Like 2

Again, focus less on the fact that defecation is "realistic" and focus on what types of gameplay a mechanic such as defecation could create.

Firing bullets is an aspect of "realism", yet it isn't extrapolated into silly anecdotes. And I doubt many folks would consider handloading to be detrimental just because it's "realistic."

I pray that you see the concept that I'm highlighting above, rather than getting caught in the specifics of the analogy above.

I understand the point you're trying to make; you're trying to say (I believe) that the implementation of the mechanic could create new avenues of gameplay and provide various different types of experiences for the gamer. I get that, and I'm willing to bet that most of the people here get it as well (at least some of them do).

The point that I (and many others) are trying to make is that, the potential for abuse by those that are simply too immature to handle it FAR outweighs the potential for meaningful gameplay experience that it could provide. All it takes is a handful of immature idiots (or even 1, in the right setting) to completely ruin these potentially neat and awesome gameplay experiences by abusing the mechanic and essentially trolling with it by contaminating every water source they can find, and essentially playing ONLY to achieve that goal, rather than trying to survive, as is intended. As it is now, people complain about others that simply play the game only to KoS other people that they happen across; the same people would essentially go from being KoS punks to shitting-in-water punks.

While I agree that, if implemented in the proper way, the mechanic could provide an interesting addition to gameplay (e.g. being slowed because you have to void your bowels; ruining pants by shitting them, especially after dying; not being able to aim accurately because the sensation of having to take a dump is distracting; etc.), if not done properly, it would be far too easy to abuse it. Now, if they were able to implement it WITHOUT allowing people to contaminate water sources simply by deucing in them, then the potential for abuse would be dramatically lower, and it wouldn't be such an issue. But then, considering all of the OTHER ways that these sources can be contaminated and that players can contract disease, it wouldn't make much sense to have this mechanic and NOT allow such contamination to occur. So, in order for it to be implemented and NOT be a problem, they would essentially have to disallow ANY sort of intentional (or even unintentional) direct contamination by players, and basically only allow "natural" random contamination, which is out of the control of the players. But then, removing that ability for players (if it's even added at all) could also serve to detract from the overall experience, rather than add to it; this isn't to say that, if given the chance, these "poo punks" couldn't also do the same thing with animal corpses, or chemicals, or other toxic items, which would also raise the possibility of abuse, but then this would be even more reason to completely remove players' ability to negatively affect any type of water source at all. But then some may argue: if players can't negatively affect a water source by contaminating it, why should they be able to positively affect it by cleansing or decontaminating it? It seems kind of silly to have one without the other.

Also, in regards to firing bullets or chambering single rounds into a weapon, the former has already shown signs of abuse, as I mentioned above, by asshats that seek only to shoot other players; as for the latter, there isn't really any sort of abuse that can be perpetrated by the mechanic, so that's really a non sequitur.

I'm sure (I hope, at least) that you can understand why many people don't really trust the implementation of such a mechanic; it's not so much that people are "grossed out" or offended in some way; it's that they're worried that, in essence, adding such a mechanic could actually end up doing more harm than good, despite the intentions behind it. As I said, if it were implemented properly with a low possibility of being another weapon in a troll's arsenal (heh; sorry, couldn't resist), then people might be more accepting of it, and could learn to enjoy it. But as long as the possibility of abuse exists, the detriments outweigh the benefits.

BTW, that graphic above of the various game models is hilarious, what with a pile of shit being right next to a butterfly.  :lol:

Edited by Mancomb
  • Like 2

It is not illegitimate or a taboo for me but I just don't like it and I try to see more behind the concept than just spreading diseases, because against your point I hold that it is something which is forced on me as a regular activity. For example: I don't kill to my own disadvantage, I wear civilian and only small backpacks to my own disadvantage, in all these cases I am maybe dumb, but I have a choice. But you support something where I cannot choose for a very limited outcome.

I'm not saying one should be forced to defecate at any point.

• Like 1

I'm not saying one should be forced to defecate at any point.

How would they add the need for taking a dump and then giving you the option not to? (This is a serious question and im viewing this thread as more of a debate then an argument)

-snip-

I totally see this reasoning, but it's not the line of argument being used by the folks on this thread.

It seems overwhelmingly clear to me, that people are associating the desire for a defecation mechanic with a desire for "realism". They're creating a straw-man, an irrelevant one at that, rather than actually addressing the mechanic unto itself.

I've scoured the thread, and nobody who's a proponent of it has cited realism alone (if at all) for it's implementation.

How would they add the need for taking a dump and then giving you the option not to? (This is a serious question and im viewing this thread as more of a debate then an argument)

It's not a need. It's just an action that can be selected by the player. At least that's how I'd implement it.

You shouldn't be forced to defecate, but it should be an option able to be selected to create a vector for disease. That's its only function.

I have this strange image in my head of Rocket on a closed testing build, throwing poo around and infrequently mentioning how cool it is in between childish fits of giggles whilst the rest of the team watches, baffled yet compelled to agree.

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 2

I really only see a problem with most of this down south. Anyone with common sense will fill up at a well, or collect rain water.

It's not a need. It's just an action that can be selected by the player. At least that's how I'd implement it.

You shouldn't be forced to defecate, but it should be an option able to be selected to create a vector for disease. That's its only function.

Well, erm, i see what your trying to do with this but ultimately it just would create more potential for abuse. If it were an actual NEED then the amount you could do it for a period of time would be once. But if you have the option to control whenever you drop your load then players can pretty much lay waste to chernabus with that level of troll power. I do agree that using disease as a weapon would be a fun gameplay mechanic i would think something more along the lines of poison would be a better choice.
  • Like 1

Is that a model for flying shit under the ground shit?

We will be able to throw shit? Like monkeys?

I'm done

nope

just nope

too far

too damn far

done... just done

i think the "flying" model is when it leaves your buttocks. Not for throwing.

Well, erm, i see what your trying to do with this but ultimately it just would create more potential for abuse. If it were an actual NEED then the amount you could do it for a period of time would be once. But if you have the option to control whenever you drop your load then players can pretty much lay waste to chernabus with that level of troll power. I do agree that using disease as a weapon would be a fun gameplay mechanic i would think something more along the lines of poison would be a better choice.

Wouldn't a timer do the trick? One dump per hour? Still doesn't have to be a need to be sparse.

Back in December I saw the models for DayZ, and one of them was shit falling to the ground and a pile of shit on the ground. 

edit : found it

BRaWjjZ.jpg

Congratulations dayz 

You just shat the remaining hope I have for dayz. If ever get an argument on dayz again I plop this image and I insta win. 

EDIT:

OMG is that a flying turd???

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dayz stop your killing me :')  

Edited by xX_fr0st-w0lf_Xx

I'm done

nope 

just nope

too far

too damn far

done... just done 

Yeah same here.

Is Rocket an actual 12 year old? 

Lets add throwing shit in DayZ. Lets all run around Electro in our pants throwing shit around because that is an authentic zombie survival experience.

• Like 2

Wouldn't a timer do the trick? One dump per hour? Still doesn't have to be a need to be sparse.

I suppose. I still don't have a desire to see feces every town i visit but if Dean wants to implement it then i guess ill learn to deal.

Who in the world shits once per hour? I am "lucky" if I shit twice per day!

IRL, when your body is under stress, one of the first systems that is shut down/slowed down is the digestive/excretory system. So, in the actual apocalypse, chances are you would need to shit far far less than you usually do.

The second bodily system to usually be shit down is the immune system. Might be why we get sick so easily : )

I wonder how many people are against this not because they feel this adds nothing to the game.

but instead because they feel this is yet another thing that gets in the way of their pvping.

• Like 2

I suppose. I still don't have a desire to see feces every town i visit but if Dean wants to implement it then i guess ill learn to deal.

I mean it's not like Chernarus isn't a big place. And poop is pretty dern small, and doesn't have to be persistent.

IRL, when your body is under stress, one of the first systems that is shut down/slowed down is the digestive/excretory system. So, in the actual apocalypse, chances are you would need to shit far far less than you usually do.

The second bodily system to usually be shit down is the immune system. Might be why we get sick so easily : )

In-game time is not equal to real-time. Hes talking about in-game time.

Jesus christ, I'm not speaking from a realistic perspective. I'm not concerned with emulating reality. I'm trying to emphasize a method of mitigating abuse in a game mechanic.

I wonder how many people are against this not because they feel this adds nothing to the game.

but instead because they feel this is yet another thing that gets in the way of their pvping.

No one said anything about pvp. If you want to know why we don't want it then try reading the thread.

I'm done

nope

just nope

too far

too damn far

done... just done

God help us! I love the game but in all seriousness if that ever made it in I would probably quit playing.

That really is over the line.