Sign in to follow this  
jbb (DayZ)

Cigarette

Could you imagine the possibility of loot cigarette packets, with the number determined ?

By being able to smoke cigarette, or share. And this could facilitate discussions with additional potential for first contact.

Danger is also to be noticed with smoke, or make smoke signals  to interact with coded messages!

What do you think about that ?

(sry for my "badly damage" english!) :P

Regards

• Like 1

Smoke signals would be amazingly awesome, in my opinion ofcourse. I also do want to have cigs ingame. I'm still a smoker (quitting :) but the fact that it may be possible to smoke a cig ingame is just great. 

I think if there was a zombie apocalypse the first thing I would do is quit smoking so I could run from the zombies

Smoking doesnt affect your running that much, personal experience.

Could slightly reduce your pain level for more accuracy, when there is no painkillers available.

Smoking doesnt affect your running that much, personal experience.

I was smoking 2 packs per day 5(and a half) years ago,i started from the age of 15.

I cut 1 year ago.I used to run competiteve on marathons as a track athete,blasted thing cut my stamina in half and made me quit.

My endurance has greatly improved now that i stopped.

• Like 1

Well actually it depends on the person, we are all different.

I think if there was a zombie apocalypse the first thing I would do is quit smoking so I could run from the zombies

I think this is exactly how it should be implemented, if done so at all; having cigarettes negatively affect your stamina and ability to run, as they would in RL; the more you smoke, the shorter distance you can run before getting winded. Makes sense to me, at least. But, at the same time, there would have to be some sort of benefit, or they would be pointless; perhaps the ability to smoke while aiming, allowing it to calm you and steady your aiming ability? Just an example; there are others that could be made, I'm sure.

Could slightly reduce your pain level for more accuracy, when there is no painkillers available.

Yeah, basically this is what I was thinking, or at least along these lines. I know that in Bioshock, smoking cigarettes increases (albeit slightly) the amount of EVE you have, while at the same time decreasing your health slightly. I think they could, if done properly, implement a similar sort of give/take mechanic with them.

Edited by Mancomb

Well actually it depends on the person, we are all different.

More often than not though, it probably will.

Ahh being able to smoke tobacco in the videogame would frustrate the living shit out of me and I would end up logging off to go smoke a real cigarrete each 10 minutes.

I don't need to get more addicted than I'm now.

Well technically making shells with primer caps would be rare in post apocolyptical enviroment.

As would making granulated high quality gunpowder

However people would be making muzzle loaders with home made black powder, easier to make.

So a smoke, to lite the fuse on a muzzle loader while in combat, would make sense.

Although I understand people like guns in games, even if it is not realistic, so meh, whatever.

Modern Guns with working reliable ammo would be top tier weapons.

Edited by RedgeZat

It would be great, and after you start smoking em youd get addicted to them and would require occational smoke now and then. If not your hands (aim) starts to shake.

On the otherhand while sitting in the bush with your rifle you would be able to enjoy a nice cigarette or cigar even.

Until then i have to stick with the real ones.

Could you imagine the possibility of loot cigarette packets, with the number determined ?

By being able to smoke cigarette, or share. And this could facilitate discussions with additional potential for first contact.

Danger is also to be noticed with smoke, or make smoke signals  to interact with coded messages!

What do you think about that ?

(sry for my "badly damage" english!) :P

Regards

What's the point of cigarettes? 

Cigarettes would be great, they don't really need any game functionality, for instance a stamina boost would just be a clumsy game mechanic. The RP potential would be enough.   

Could be interesting if there was some benefit/risk for smoking. Perhaps smoking could act as a minor painkiller, reduce hunger and steady aim, but be highly addictive meaning that if your character stops smoking then those effects are reversed until they eventually return to normal.

Could maybe be a minor stamina penalty as well, but not one that overshadows the benefits of smoking.

Would be nice to see something similar with alcohol as well, maybe acting as a poor man's painkiller and stamina booster - again with addiction and having those side-effects reversed.

Oh, even better. Smoking (and drinking) stacks, so the more you smoke the more of an effect the smoking will have on you. So if you smoke a whole pack, you'll have more of a bonus than if you just smoke one. However, if you don't keep that high then the negative effects will be equally magnified. Maybe it could become harder and harder to maintain the benefits of smoking - but that might make smoking too risky for players to even bother with it.

As a cigar smoker, I'd love "smokeables" in game. It's terribly unhealthy, but it's relaxing, and, if I'm living in a world where death's around every corner, the last thing I'm going to worry about is my lungs (or liver, which is why I would also like to see vodka). 

Adding more animations to an already cluttered engine, i will say no. Its not something that would make or break the game, so unless they improve the engine to hold few hundred zombies, its a no for me.

Cigarettes would be great, they don't really need any game functionality, for instance a stamina boost would just be a clumsy game mechanic. The RP potential would be enough.   

Exactly.

Adding more animations to an already cluttered engine, i will say no. Its not something that would make or break the game, so unless they improve the engine to hold few hundred zombies, its a no for me.

Adding animation to put a cig in your mouth wont affect your fps anyway, unless its going to have huge smoke cloud hovering over your head.

Also, we are not talking about adding it in the next patch cause like you pointed out, game is pretty broken atm.

IIRC some youtuber had a talk with Dean about cigarettes and Dean wanted to make them actually reduce shock levels.

As in, coming out of a heavy fire fight. Light up a cigarette to reduce your shock level.

But they are very reserved due to certain countries has very strong anti-smoking policies(If I remember that argument correctly).

Cant find the video, but its out there. So if anyone finds it, please post :)

ha ha, i pity you fo***. cant live without smoking this is really sad. not the power to end destroying your body that is so funny.

Id like too see them implemented with some kind of mental sanity sistem, you know. A lot of people smoke to relax and calm down so...