Sign in to follow this  
GrumpyGat (DayZ)

The True Story, Of a True Hero.

Today, I had an experience that changed my impression of this game. It showed me that there are; however few it seems, good people in the world. And their goodness transcends in-game. This afternoon, after a shoot-out with a handful of coastal bandits, I found myself laying in a field, broken and bleeding, waiting for the grey vale of death to recess upon me. In my one last fleeting attempt to find a cloth to bandage myself, I crawled across a young man in a red coat. I yelled out to him, hoping, that maybe, he would feel compassion for me. Expecting the worst, I watched as he approached me, and to my astonishment he began to bandage me. When the profuse bleeding had stopped, he not only bequeath me with the few rations of food and supplies he had stuffed into his pockets, but he offered me his coat for warmth. He vowed to head north in search of a splint or morphine, to help me walk again. I was shocked; how is this possible? Why would someone help me? Slithering around, bleeding, wearing nothing but my undergarments, exposing myself to certain death? Dumbfounded, I started to crawl towards my scattered gear, hoping to protect it while I wait for the stranger to get back. I turn and see him run towards me. He finds the pile of gear, including my fully loaded M4. I watch him put on my backpack, and pick up the gun. I lay in waiting, expecting him to raise the barrel, and end my life. Shockingly, with my life in his hands, he takes off the backpack, and instructs me to put it on, and that he will find his own. He asks respectively, if he can borrow my weapon to protect himself on his quest to find me medicine. I agree and he prepares to venture forth. At that moment, I decided that I did not want to be a burden to this man. I asked him to please, take my gear and end my suffering gracefully. He once again, gives me his word that he will stay in that very spot, and await my return. He takes the shot, and my screen goes black. I find myself back on the coast near Berezino. I start my timely trek south to the factory. I arrive 10 minutes later, expecting nothing but my old shell of a body, laying lifeless in the grass. But to my disbelief, I find him once again, standing there, awaiting my return. He offers me the gear, and asks to keep nothing. I say to him "Never have I seen anyone go to such length to help a complete stranger. You could have left, you could have killed me, and you would remain unpunished, and unaffected by your actions. Instead you offered what little you had and were willing to risk your life to save mine. The gear belongs to you now, safe travels." and just like that I took off, never to see him again.

Your character is not measured by your in-game skin, or the clothing on your back. It is measured by the actions you take, when the moral compass is in your hand.

The true story, of a true hero.

Edited by GrumpyGat
  • Like 24

Wow, what a great story, it does g oto show that no matter how far and few there may be out there. So people do want to help you if they can. This is quite the extreme of helping. 

Pay it forward fellow adventurer!

• Like 2

Truly a great man helped you. A true hero, I agree. Thanks for sharing your story.  :thumbsup:  I try my best to help out whenever I can too. It seems I gain much more from the gratitude and felling of trust I gain than from all the virtual items you can accumulate. To each his own.

:beans:   B)

• Like 3

Truly a great man helped you. A true hero, I agree. Thanks for sharing your story.  :thumbsup:  I try my best to help out whenever I can too. It seems I gain much more from the gratitude and felling of trust I gain than from all the virtual items you can accumulate. To each his own.

:beans:   B)

I would have to agree, items can be regained, but the grattitude of a stranger in need can not.

• Like 4

Im... Im starting to tear up  :( That is an amazing story, in all my experiences of both the Dayz Mod and Standalone I don't think i've ever ran across someone that would go to that extend of killing me. Thank you for reminding me that there are good people out there and a role model for us to follow in the future!

You get Beans my friend, Beans. :beans:

• Like 1

Well aren't you a lucky duck, i broke my leg and got a 20 guage to the skull, nice story though i wish i could come across people that friendly, i'd play with that guy any day, and you considering you probably could have killed him and didn't.

All my best experiences in DayZ have started "I'm friendly, I'm friendly.  I'm not going to shoot you..." (without being followed by "you are dead"). 

Today, I had an experience that changed my impression of this game. It showed me that there are; however few it seems, good people in the world. And their goodness transcends in-game. This afternoon, after a shoot-out with a handful of coastal bandits, I found myself laying in a field, broken and bleeding, waiting for the grey vale of death to recess upon me. In my one last fleeting attempt to find a cloth to bandage myself, I crawled across a young man in a red coat. I yelled out to him, hoping, that maybe, he would feel compassion for me. Expecting the worst, I watched as he approached me, and to my astonishment he began to bandage me. When the profuse bleeding had stopped, he not only bequeath me with the few rations of food and supplies he had stuffed into his pockets, but he offered me his coat for warmth. He vowed to head north in search of a splint or morphine, to help me walk again. I was shocked; how is this possible? Why would someone help me? Slithering around, bleeding, wearing nothing but my undergarments, exposing myself to certain death? Dumbfounded, I started to crawl towards my scattered gear, hoping to protect it while I wait for the stranger to get back. I turn and see him run towards me. He finds the pile of gear, including my fully loaded M4. I watch him put on my backpack, and pick up the gun. I lay in waiting, expecting him to raise the barrel, and end my life. Shockingly, with my life in his hands, he takes off the backpack, and instructs me to put it on, and that he will find his own. He asks respectively, if he can borrow my weapon to protect himself on his quest to find me medicine. I agree and he prepares to venture forth. At that moment, I decided that I did not want to be a burden to this man. I asked him to please, take my gear and end my suffering gracefully. He once again, gives me his word that he will stay in that very spot, and await my return. He takes the shot, and my screen goes black. I find myself back on the coast near Berezino. I start my timely trek south to the factory. I arrive 10 minutes later, expecting nothing but my old shell of a body, laying lifeless in the grass. But to my disbelief, I find him once again, standing there, awaiting my return. He offers me the gear, and asks to keep nothing. I say to him "Never have I seen anyone go to such length to help a complete stranger. You could have left, you could have killed me, and you would remain unpunished, and unaffected by your actions. Instead you offered what little you had and were willing to risk your life to save mine. The gear belongs to you now, safe travels." and just like that I took off, never to see him again.

Your character is not measured by your in-game skin, or the clothing on your back. It is measured by the actions you take, when the moral compass is in your hand.

The true story, of a true hero.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  claps* claps*

That is truly awesome. Although a rarity sadly. But damn. I'd jump on a foreign server just to give that guy/gal beans.

Awesome.

It reminds me of the day that my friend and me went to the NWAF. Many people know that this is one of the most dangerous places in the SA. We were looting the airfield, carefully. There were quite many people in the server, so we expected a gunfight soon. But then, we heard someone screaming for help. He needed morphine. We knew that many people use this to trap people; they ask for morphine, and when you walk in, their friend shoots you in the back. But, we walked in the fire station, where the guy his voice was coming from. http://youtu.be/Zxh6R2Nhz2o?t=4m47s

They could've killed us. But they didn't. We could've killed them. We didn't.

Why not? Because we wanted evidence that there are friendly players around. Even when both teams are equipped with guns and ammo, they don't have to shoot each other. :)

Edited by EvilTigerAce
  • Like 1

The opportunities are rare, but they do happen.

My friend and I were well geared at the time, in some midmap town I don't even know. Middle of nowhere, we were looting around without much caution. Suddenly, my buddy says "You hear that?", and we go on alert. "There, I see a guy. He's...he's naked and rolling in the street with a bag on his head."

Immediately, I saw Admiral Akbar on my shoulder screaming about it being a trap. I go on high alert, scanning everywhere, every window, bush or other probable hiding spot. My friend approaches the man and confirms he is a guy rolling in the street naked with a bag on his head. He has a broken leg, and has been trying to kill himself since without success. We give him morphine, get the bag off his head, and get him fed and hydrated. He kind of cautiously follows us, not in a sketchy way, but just tentative like not sure what to do. We continue helping him get gear around the town and he gets his mic working. He played the mod, but is new to the SA. We inquire about his status, he replies he has a red "Sick" icon. Not sure how that happened, but knowing that we have helped several friends back from consuming rotting food, we work to get him stabilized. Eventually, he informs us he drank a whole alchohol tincture in the process of trying to kill himself. Well that explains that. 

We continue to travel together, and a few IV's later, getting him to the Sobor's and the clinic's there. Was a great time, and got this guy back on his feet. Added him on steam, first time I've ever actually made an acquaintance that way in DayZ ( I play with people I know previously from other games). Was pretty fun for all involved.

You can't make this stuff happen, you can't force it, but it CAN happen.

• Like 3