shaeg

This is how dumb punching is in this game.

lel.... when do you not expect being punched in dayz? it is a rare occurrence.

Should I post videos?

All these badasses talking about their knockout experience, I don't know what to believe.

I guess I have no choice but to punch someone in the face on my way to work tomorrow.  I'll let you all know how it turns out.

• Like 1

Should I post videos?

There is no argument.

It is a dumb mechanic that doesnt make sense...you seem to be one of the few in this thread that disagree.  Btw... the back of head is covered by ballistic helmet... bare fist would not KO anyone wearing one from behind... stun or temporarily daze maybe.... maybe even knock them down.. but KO... lol. Theres no reason anyone in full combat gear should be taken down so easily by someone with nothing. I mean really read my OP... I had NOTHING on me this is a game... an MMO game... nothing... and i took everything that guy had, hours worth of looting/server hopping whatever took it all because i EASILY ran up to him and punched him out from behind lol

It just doesnt make sense.

My knockout experiences have all been when the strike was unexpected, except for the one time that I had already stated.

Your chance of knocking someone out who is prepared is very slim, barring a hard enough strike. You talk like getting knocked out is only where you hit the person. It's not. A legitimate KO is when the brain hits the back of the skull. That requires extensive force being applied to the front of your face, enough to cause you brain to basically slam back. When the back of your brain makes contact with the back of your skulls because of the force it was being moved at hit the vital area of your brain that controls consciousness. 

There is no sweet spot other than a strike to the back of the head. It all relies on the force of your punch, the alertness of the defender and their mindset.

My knockout experiences have all been when the strike was unexpected, except for the one time that I had already stated.

Your chance of knocking someone out who is prepared is very slim, barring a hard enough strike. You talk like getting knocked out is only where you hit the person. It's not. A legitimate KO is when the brain hits the back of the skull. That requires extensive force being applied to the front of your face, enough to cause you brain to basically slam back. When the back of your brain makes contact with the back of your skulls because of the force it was being moved at hit the vital area of your brain that controls consciousness. 

There is no sweet spot other than a strike to the back of the head. It all relies on the force of your punch, the alertness of the defender and their mindset.

I disagree with one thing..

"There is no sweet spot"..

Wrong.

-If you hit someone on the front of the chin, it forces their chin down, forehead forward, and whip-lashes their neck, all of which jerks the brain around and forces trauma.

-If you hit someone on the side of the chin, it can whip their neck sideways, the back of their head coming towards the direction of the punch (chin away from).. Again, same result.. Brain slams against skull.

-The "temple" (soft spot to the side of your eye socket) has a lot of nerves in the area, and if struck properly will force someone to lose vision, possible unconsciousness, and possible brain damage. If hit hard enough, it's rumoured that it could even cause death.

-Getting hit in the back of the head can not only cause permanent brain damage, unconsciousness/concussion, but also possibly death. 

Basically, any blunt-force-trauma that causes the head to jerk about abruptly can cause someone to be knocked unconscious. 

There is no argument.

It is a dumb mechanic that doesnt make sense...you seem to be one of the few in this thread that disagree.  Btw... the back of head is covered by ballistic helmet... bare fist would not KO anyone wearing one from behind... stun or temporarily daze maybe.... maybe even knock them down.. but KO... lol. Theres no reason anyone in full combat gear should be taken down so easily by someone with nothing. I mean really read my OP... I had NOTHING on me this is a game... an MMO game... nothing... and i took everything that guy had, hours worth of looting/server hopping whatever took it all because i EASILY ran up to him and punched him out from behind lol

It just doesnt make sense.

Doesn't matter if you are wearing a ballistic helmet... The ballistic helmet is designed to protect against penetration of bullets, not brace your neck/skull against blunt-force.

If you get shot in the head wearing a ballistic helmet, guess what happens? YOU GO UNCONSCIOUS.

I disagree with one thing..

"There is no sweet spot"..

Wrong.

-If you hit someone on the front of the chin, it forces their chin down, forehead forward, and whip-lashes their neck, all of which jerks the brain around and forces trauma.

-If you hit someone on the side of the chin, it can whip their neck sideways, the back of their head coming towards the direction of the punch (chin away from).. Again, same result.. Brain slams against skull.

-The "temple" (soft spot to the side of your eye socket) has a lot of nerves in the area, and if struck properly will force someone to lose vision, possible unconsciousness, and possible brain damage. If hit hard enough, it's rumoured that it could even cause death.

-Getting hit in the back of the head can not only cause permanent brain damage, unconsciousness/concussion, but also possibly death. 

Basically, any blunt-force-trauma that causes the head to jerk about abruptly can cause someone to be knocked unconscious. 

This all relies on the defender's ability and prowess. These could be considered sweet spots, but if I strike someone in the aforementioned "sweet spots" and they are properly braced and expecting the strike, one can steady himself for the strike and when impacted cause nothing but artificial damage. 

This all relies on the defender's ability and prowess. These could be considered sweet spots, but if I strike someone in the aforementioned "sweet spots" and they are properly braced and expecting the strike, one can steady himself for the strike and when impacted cause nothing but artificial damage. 

Absolutely, I totally agree and I've said as much in previous posts.

Well was he killed or did you knock him out ? perhaps you only made him unconscious with a good punch perhaps

The whole being knocked out from a punch thing is an interesting topic. If in real life you were holding an M4 and you allowed me to get close enough to one punch you (sucker punch) that M4 is irrelevant. They can't show hand to hand combat do to limited animations atm but not only could you punch someone holding an M4, you could grab their M4 and do a plethora of other debilitating things to them. The issue to me is how ineffective a bullet is, not how effective a well placed punch to the face is. I guess knock out power would be necessary to do severe damage with a punch but there is no real way to measure that in game. 

Keep your friends close and your unknowns..........in your sights.

Oh and wear a helmet.

Right... because if you sneak up on someone and cold clock them you can't knock them out in 3 good swings? If the person sees you I would hope they try to dodge you, if they don't.. Well, yes, three punches sounds pretty reasonable to knock somebody on their fucking ass.

Possible not Plausible.

It's also possible for people to break their wrists/hands punching other people without a glove.. especially punching someone wearing a helmet.

If we are getting super realistic here...

I want to see a starving female barehanded KO a full grown man while he wears a helmet... all sexism aside but the game is going for realism right?

Well that depends on the context of which we discuss.

Are we talking about someone wearing a moto helm? Definitely plausible.

Are we talking about someone wearing a ballistic helm with no facial protection? Very much plausible.

I have no problems with knocking someone unconscious with three hits even if they are wearing a helmet. If I sneak up on someone in real life without any gear I will have grabbed a rock, helmet or not your bell is being rung. No rock and your prone shooting someone then I am kicking you in the head, helmet or not your bell is being rung. Cannot kick you then I am grabbing your throat from behind and choking you out, even easier if I have a belt on my pants.

Basically think of punching as the generic stand in for all the different things you would do in real life.

Who knows, in a few alpha updates we may still have the wall glitching zombies but your new spawn character may be able to sneak up on that newspawn killer and poop on him.

You mean highly unlikely.....

American Kickboxing for 5 1/2 years ..... We are not made out of glass. Inmy 5 1/2 years I was only KO'd 11 times. and I only KO'd someone 6 times. All the other matches were won/lost on points. It is not a common thing especially to just 3 punch KO someone.. maybe if it was some buck 20 emo kid wearing girl pants walking to school it would make sense... but these are the SURVIVORS of an apocolypse... not the weakest links... and wearing helmets.... its just dumb

I completely agree with you!! We are not made of glass, and knock outs arent that easy IRL, but being a trained fighter is way different than a survivor. A trained fighter tightens his abdomens before impact, he learns to loosen his neck to follow the blow... Have you ever been suckered punch in the stomach? I have, and it is way different than seeing the punch.

Anyhow, a good way to solve this is lowering the chance of a KO when someone has his fist or weapons raised... To simulate someone trying to block the punch... Then "health" should also be a multiplier, a hungry and thirsty survivor ahould get a higher probability of getting KOed, than a "healthy" survivor.

Then they should increase the KO percentage of bats, wrenches and such blunt melee weapons...

Anyhow this is just my thoughts

• Like 1

I completely agree with you!! We are not made of glass, and knock outs arent that easy IRL, but being a trained fighter is way different than a survivor. A trained fighter tightens his abdomens before impact, he learns to loosen his neck to follow the blow... Have you ever been suckered punch in the stomach? I have, and it is way different than seeing the punch.

Anyhow, a good way to solve this is lowering the chance of a KO when someone has his fist or weapons raised... To simulate someone trying to block the punch... Then "health" should also be a multiplier, a hungry and thirsty survivor ahould get a higher probability of getting KOed, than a "healthy" survivor.

Then they should increase the KO percentage of bats, wrenches and such blunt melee weapons...

Anyhow this is just my thoughts

This is logical. I agree.

• Like 1

Bare handed closed fist strikes to a hard surface, such as someone's face, usually hurts the attacker also. Guys break their hands like this all the time, it's called a boxers fracture.

Creating injury, including the risk of a fracture, to the attacker for throwing punches could also be a way to go also.

I think it's fine, if you get knocked out by some guy punching you when you have a gun you deserve it.  I highly doubt all the people complaining punching is OP never pick up a gun themselves.