shaeg

This is how dumb punching is in this game.

Hey, me too!

I mean, at least one person was listening.

Experimental server is experimental. Things will be broken, mended, then broken again all the time. It is not 'retarded' and it is nothing to get so upset about.

Exactly.

Its on stable, though, too...

Yes, it is. But, it is a placeholder and isn't going to be permanent. 

I would personally like to see firearm melee come into play, bayonets prove there must be a plan for this. When someone comes in too close not following direction I will strike them with the end of my barrel in their diaphram to recoil them back before shooting them.

I covers a lot about melee combat in my weapons suggestion thread also.

Sometimes I secretly wish melee in general was nothing but a placeholder. Would feel much better if the melee was redone entirely. Just doesn't fit right for a 2014 (that is likely to get released in 2015-2016) game.

• Like 1

You mean highly unlikely.....

American Kickboxing for 5 1/2 years ..... We are not made out of glass. Inmy 5 1/2 years I was only KO'd 11 times.  and I only KO'd someone 6 times. All the other matches were won/lost on points. It is not a common thing especially to just 3 punch KO someone.. maybe if it was some buck 20 emo kid wearing girl pants walking to school it would make sense... but these are the SURVIVORS of an apocolypse... not the weakest links... and wearing helmets.... its just dumb

ONLY eleven times in five and a half years? Jesus dude, you were knocked out twice per year. I've taken jiu-jitsu since I was in first grade (29 now) and while it's not a striking martial art, I follow it and other martial arts very closely and am a huge fan of MMA. Are you talking actual knockouts, or technical knockouts? If I was knocked out that often, I'd be taking a long break. >.>

ONLY eleven times in five and a half years? Jesus dude, you were knocked out twice per year. I've taken jiu-jitsu since I was in first grade (29 now) and while it's not a striking martial art, I follow it and other martial arts very closely and am a huge fan of MMA. Are you talking actual knockouts, or technical knockouts? If I was knocked out that often, I'd be taking a long break. >.>

A knock out can be considered going black and limp, even for half a second. It's still considered a knockout.

• Like 1

That is, kids, why you wear your bikers helmet when going on coastal rampage!

A knock out can be considered going black and limp, even for half a second. It's still considered a knockout.

^

I did Full contact and k-1 

In k-1 Traditional clinch and both hands muay thai clinch are illigal. The side effect of these rules made for knockouts to be much more common than American Kickboxing aka Full Contact

11 is good ;)

Edited by Shaeg

Experimental servers are being changed all the time.

Please, take this piece of advice in the spirit it is given: Save yourself (and us) some grief and wait until the game is finished. The development phase will contain tons of things that will aggravate you, and this kind of posts does noone any good. Not you, not me, not these forums.

Yes, but this isn't a major feature or bug. They only need to change the damage fists do, and that can be done in 5 seconds...

Edited by TSAndrey
  • Like 1

Just wear a motorcycle helmet, Jesus Christ. 

I don't bother attacking those people because it's nearly impossible to knock them out. Have none of you ever brawled with other newspawns with a helmet on?

Please, take this piece of advice in the spirit it is given: Save yourself (and us) some grief and wait until the game is finished.

I might get a warn or points for this, but is anyone else sick of the mods responding to feedback like this?

I don't know who needs reminding more that this is an alpha, us or them.

Its on stable, though, too...

This. Have my beans.

• Like 4

on exp 5 minutes ago:

me: fists, no shirt, pants, moto helmet badly damaged.

him: crowbar, pristine shirt, ballistic helmet damaged.

i won and never had a bleed.

afaik the melee weapons are heavily nerfed right now on exp and I had to hack away for like minute a guy in t-shirt with no helmet on with fire axe after he snuck up on me and tried to diddle me. Use your fists for time being if you like to play(torture) yourself on exp servers

Hey, me too!

I mean, at least one person was listening.

Experimental server is experimental. Things will be broken, mended, then broken again all the time. It is not 'retarded' and it is nothing to get so upset about.

nevertheless i'd suggest:

chance to injure your wrists/arms/fists

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

It is perfectly possible to render someone unconscious with a single blow.

While I can understand people bring up their professional fighting experience, t needs to be remembered that you're intentionally trying not to get hit.

Trying to move so that even when struck the full force of the blow isn't taken.

If you watch fights that do end in a  single blow, you'll notice how clean the blow is, how the fist lands against their jaw/neck.

So its perfectly fine IMO, and frankly it makes people more cautious of having someone get close.

Yes, but this isn't a major feature or bug. They only need to change the damage fists do, and that can be done in 5 seconds...

There is no need to change the damage they do. They are working perfectly fine. If a player with a gun doesn't know how to defend himself against a player armed only with fists, then it is entirely his own fault, not the fault of the fists.

It is perfectly possible to render someone unconscious with a single blow.

While I can understand people bring up their professional fighting experience, t needs to be remembered that you're intentionally trying not to get hit.

Trying to move so that even when struck the full force of the blow isn't taken.

If you watch fights that do end in a  single blow, you'll notice how clean the blow is, how the fist lands against their jaw/neck.

So its perfectly fine IMO, and frankly it makes people more cautious of having someone get close.

Possible not Plausible.

It's also possible for people to break their wrists/hands punching other people without a glove.. especially punching someone wearing a helmet.

If we are getting super realistic here...

I want to see a starving female barehanded KO a full grown man while he wears a helmet... all sexism aside but the game is going for realism right?

• Like 1

Honestly, if you're holding an M4 and someone manages to punch you then you are officially doing it wrong. IMO it should take more than a couple of punches to kill someone but you should be able to knock someone down/out with 1-2 well placed punches.

• Like 3

So to sum this up before thread delves more into offtopic armchair pugilism; wear a helmet. Even if it is neon green hardhat or bright red motorcycle helmet, wear it.

• Like 1

Honestly, if you're holding an M4 and someone manages to punch you then you are officially doing it wrong. IMO it should take more than a couple of punches to kill someone but you should be able to knock someone down/out with 1-2 well placed punches.

i think it's a "lame" argument.

stealthy and sneaky approaches very well fit into a post-apocalyptic scenario, so i would be ok if i was hit in the neck out of nowhere (and KUDOS to the opponent sneaking on me undetected) and go down into unconsciousness.

alhough i agree with your realistic assessment there i would throw the "authentic"-exception. it may be realistic however irl i would try to defend myself, block, dodge and try to protect my face and body. things we can't really do (yet) ingame. therefore i'd suggest, to take these into consideration, punching (if not in a stealth'n'sneaky sense) and its effects should be nerfed down a bit.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Experimental servers are being changed all the time.

Please, take this piece of advice in the spirit it is given: Save yourself (and us) some grief and wait until the game is finished. The development phase will contain tons of things that will aggravate you, and this kind of posts does noone any good. Not you, not me, not these forums.

Op said he thinks punching is kind of over the top and asks wether people agree with him or not. I don't think its a fair response to tell him to wait for the final game, especially since punching is a core mechanic of the SA - be it on experimental or stable servers. OP has paid for the game and I think he is allowed to share his opinion on game mechanics, if only for the sake of development. If no one is allowed to share their views, then how can the SA possibly ever be developed in a good way? Whats the whole point of the alpha phase then? Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Salva
  • Like 2

I just shoot any fresh character that comes within 20 feet of me, then everyone can complain about "KoS". Or we could just tweak it a little bit.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

If you were knocked out that often, you'd be a vegetable.. 

The brain can only take so much punishment, and being knocked out has cumulative effects on the brain. For every concussion you have, it makes it more and more likely that you'll have another concussion in the future with even less blunt-force-trauma. I've seen matches where someone barely gets grazed by the opponents strike, and his toes curl and he goes out cold because he's been concussed recently or too many times in the past. Many former fighters (boxing, MMA, or martial arts) and football players are punch drunk for the rest of their lives after being knocked out only a handful of times.

11 times seems like... a lot.

Personally, I've been knocked out one time, and it was to a sucker punch to my temple. Been in countless street fights and did martial arts for 15+ years (Lido Karate, JKD, and Wing Chun).

1 punch to ANY part of the head is more than enough to knock someone unconscious; it just depends on how it landed and how prepared the person was for it. There's a saying in striking arts (boxing, etc), that "It's the punch you didn't see coming that knocks you out".. 

This is because if you are in a fist fight with someone and you can see where they are throwing their punches, or if you are even in a martial arts match; you have a few things going for you.

1. You have adrenaline pumping

2. You are "prepared" for every strike, because you have agreed to fight and you see most of them coming

3. You can block/parry with your own arms/body

When you see punches coming, and you have adrenaline going, you can reduce the damage of the blow by tensing yourself or reflexively "half-dodging", where you allow your face to absorb the hit, by moving it in the direction of the punch.

Now remove those factors..

1. No adrenaline

2. Unprepared to be hit

3. No blocking/dodging

I don't care how big of a tough guy you are, if you aren't ready for me to hit you, and I cold clock you in the side of the temple with straight right hand, and you didn't see that shit coming.. You will drop like a sack of potatoes. (and I will pick up your M4.)

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 2

i think it's a "lame" argument.

stealthy and sneaky approaches very well fit into a post-apocalyptic scenario, so i would be ok if i was hit in the neck out of nowhere (and KUDOS to the opponent sneaking on me undetected) and go down into unconsciousness.

alhough i agree with your realistic assessment there i would throw the "authentic"-exception. it may be realistic however irl i would try to defend myself, block, dodge and try to protect my face and body. things we can't really do (yet) ingame. therefore i'd suggest, to take these into consideration, punching (if not in a stealth'n'sneaky sense) and its effects should be nerfed down a bit.

I'm not so sure. Realistically if you would have time to prepare to defend yourself then you should have time to react in-game, whether that constitutes shooting or turning and running isn't really important, but you do have time to act.

Either way, I'm not really bothered if punching is "nerfed" or left as is. While I think it's "authentic" that you can punch someone out relatively easily, the fact that taking on a well armed survivor with their bare hands seems like a reasonable thing to do to a lot of players is not so "authentic".

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

i mean we could tie melee also to hunger/thirst. if energized you can knock someone out. if your starving you would lack the energy to even properly raise your hands i guess.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

I would personally like to see firearm melee come into play, bayonets prove there must be a plan for this. When someone comes in too close not following direction I will strike them with the end of my barrel in their diaphram to recoil them back before shooting them.

I covers a lot about melee combat in my weapons suggestion thread also.

Pistol whipping incoming soon?

Does maybe implementing a "charging" system like they are trying with throwing help at all in this situation? Like jabs don't do much shock damage but a well placed charged punch does more? However I do think that blunt melee weapons should do much more shock damage than punching should. It seems unrealistic to pass up on baseball bats because my fists will work much better.

i mean we could tie melee also to hunger/thirst. if energized you can knock someone out. if your starving you would lack the energy to even properly raise your hands i guess.

That's actually not a bad idea at all. In fact, I'd quite like a lot of things (run speed and so on) to be tied to your hunger and thirst levels.

• Like 1