Sign in to follow this  
Ceelows

Zombies need to be a real threat.

So I've been playing the standalone for a while now and I've noticed that once you find either a farming hoe, splitting axe or a fire fighter axe, zombies are not a threat. They stand there like mindless AI's and dont have much behavior. They dont walk around like in the mod and there are not enough of them. Not even close. This is my only real problem in DayZ so far. Glitches and lag I can deal with because it is an alpha but there isn't much reason to team up against zombies and I feel that the only real fun way to play this game is to become a bandit. Me and my friend have been committing evil deeds for about a week now and while you may think I am a douche, I'm just trying to have fun and boy has it been fun robbing others. But I'd like a reason to play the friendly role. If zombies were much more of a threat I think I'd play this game in a very different way.

They are working on zombies. The zombies in the experimental for example are behaving very differently from the ones in the current stable version. I expect them to change drastically in the next couple of patches (especially since they have hired a whole team to work on them).

They are being reworked, the current situation is more of a placeholder. The game is still early in development and will change drastically down the road. 

They seem currently to gather information through drastic tweaking of various parameters. In the current stable it is respawning and speed, in the current experimental it is their health.

Yeah I know it's in early development and all, I just hope the devs are aware that the zeds suck. For now I will continue my bandit activities :)

I have to disagree with ya. the zombies now are tons faster,they attack way more frequently with their running and jumping technique, they run through walls and floors like nothing and they respawn constantly after killing one. they are being fixed yes, but for now they are tough as is. idk how you play but they do cause disturbances for me when im stalking or hiding.

I have to disagree with ya. the zombies now are tons faster,they attack way more frequently with their running and jumping technique, they run through walls and floors like nothing and they respawn constantly after killing one. they are being fixed yes, but for now they are tough as is. idk how you play but they do cause disturbances for me when im stalking or hiding.

I sprint at them without a worry in the world and then proceed to punch them or axe them.

Yeah I know it's in early development and all, I just hope the devs are aware that the zeds suck. For now I will continue my bandit activities :)

Oh they know it. With all the 3 billion threads with the same topic...

They should only be a thread in numbers, one or two should not be a problem. How they will ever do this though is another matter as I honestly never see them being fixed and truthfully? I'd rather Dayz was just a survival simulator and not a Zombie Sim.

there is only 1 way to make zombies a threat but people would hate it.

1. Stamina system needs to be added where you get tired and need to rest, you can't sprint forever.

2. Shambler zombies need to replace the clunky sprinting zombies.

3. You run around trying not to wake up the horde if the zombies hear you , you simply cannot sprint away due to the stamina system forcing you to barricade yourself somewhere or find alternative means of escape.

zombies will only be a threat when zombies number in the thousands and theres a stamina system.

either way I don't see any happening so zombies should just be removed they add nothing tot he game atm.

• Like 1

Yesterday I got one-shotted by a zombie on a hill while sniping in prone. They are fine as they are. Their every 2nd hit  basically leads to bleeding. 

They've come quite far in experimental. No more OHK axe, it takes as long as punching them to death on stable, regardless of the weapon. You're gonna have to shoot them now, which attracts more of them and not to mention, players. They're a real pain in the ass, but no threat. Groups of 5+ zombies would probably make zombies extremely lethal for anyone without a firearm and mag/clip. Seems enough to me

Go have fun on expirimental servers... takes like 5-10 chops with fire axe to kill 1 zombie...Lel

Go have fun on expirimental servers... takes like 5-10 chops with fire axe to kill 1 zombie...Lel

1: We need to fix these zombies

2: like?

1: make fluid animations, remove clipping, improve the melee so it can be more enjoyable

2:....

1: Add in sneaking and better zombie pathing AI and lets remove the clunkynes!

2: lol just do health x 5

1: oh......ok 

IM JOKING

I know the working on fixing them, hopefully it will be looking really good soon :) 

First we need to establish what kind of zombies they are and go from there.  Right now, they are like a weird cross between retro and modern zombies.  I honestly think that a very large number of retro zombies and maybe dead player zombies that are just as fast as the player was at death, and many times more difficult to kill, would be adequate in terms of threat level.  The player zombies would definitely cut down on the random street murders on the coast :P

Also, if they ever come out and say that these are rotting corpses running around, headshots only to kill them.  That's one change they could make RIGHT now and the game would benefit from it I think.

there is only 1 way to make zombies a threat but people would hate it.

1. Stamina system needs to be added where you get tired and need to rest, you can't sprint forever.

2. Shambler zombies need to replace the clunky sprinting zombies.

3. You run around trying not to wake up the horde if the zombies hear you , you simply cannot sprint away due to the stamina system forcing you to barricade yourself somewhere or find alternative means of escape.

zombies will only be a threat when zombies number in the thousands and theres a stamina system.

either way I don't see any happening so zombies should just be removed they add nothing tot he game atm.

You're exactly right.  Surviving a zombie apocalypse needs to be exactly that... not trying to not get shot all the time.

So I've been playing the standalone for a while now and I've noticed that once you find either a farming hoe, splitting axe or a fire fighter axe, zombies are not a threat. They stand there like mindless AI's and dont have much behavior. They dont walk around like in the mod and there are not enough of them. Not even close. This is my only real problem in DayZ so far. Glitches and lag I can deal with because it is an alpha but there isn't much reason to team up against zombies and I feel that the only real fun way to play this game is to become a bandit. Me and my friend have been committing evil deeds for about a week now and while you may think I am a douche, I'm just trying to have fun and boy has it been fun robbing others. But I'd like a reason to play the friendly role. If zombies were much more of a threat I think I'd play this game in a very different way.

So zombies can always out run you, take one or two hits to make you bleed and sometimes take 10+ hits with a fire ax to kill. Seems like they may be a little overpowered if anything. You could down a buffalo with fewer swings........

Edited by paisius77

I like hardcore zombies that are a real threat.   I dislike zombies immediately spawning in my immediate area after just killing a freaking zombie like an endless supply of spawning zombies.   Extremely annoying.

I haven't played the experimental servers but I think there should just be a hell of a lot more zombies in each town. This was the case in the mod and I found myself sneaking around through every city so they wouldn't see me and it was fun.

1000000% NO!

until the teleporting, clipping thru walls/floors, etc are all fixed to AAA release standards.

"its a flaw you know about adapt" was passible in a FREE MOD. in a RETAIL game it is 100% unacceptable in ANY FORM WHAT SO EVER. PERIOD. no zombie buffs at all until pathing and ai are 100% sorted.

What the fuck, OP?  How is the fact that zombies that walk through solid objects and are invisible due to shitty game architecture and server lag.......... Not fucking challenging to you?    They also spawn out of thin air if you fire a weapon.