RustCohle (DayZ)

The sunset is so beautiful. (Lighting and Environment Discussion)

The sunsets are very nice on exp right now.

I like the "magic hour" as dusk begins to set in.

Here is a recent screenshot.

OTCzWHp.jpg

This is 1280x720 interlaced on minimum settings.

Night environments are darker as the moon is the only light source I can seem to detect, and the moon on exp is a very low-res placeholder right now.

InsaneAradia made a thread on flashlights/torches and their lack of AOE illumination. I assume certain textures do not reflect light sources yet.

I look forwards to more lighting developments.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

For now, it looks generally great. I am happy with the visibility of day and night, more or less, but I think it needs enhancing a little indirectly, as in, with equipment and items. There should be more textures that reflect, emit or amplify dynamic and ambient light, and maybe places with substantial local light, like street lights for example. Also torches and gaslamps need to have increased light output, and generate more ambient light on the local surroundings.

• Like 1

For now, it looks generally great. I am happy with the visibility of day and night, more or less, but I think it needs enhancing a little indirectly, as in, with equipment and items. There should be more textures that reflect, emit or amplify dynamic and ambient light, and maybe places with substantial local light, like street lights for example. Also torches and gaslamps need to have increased light output, and generate more ambient light on the local surroundings.

yes. i agree.

i think that different light fliters applied to the dynamic background illiumination would provide some uniqueness to certain areas. that way, a swamp or an open field could look different than a city in terms of ambient light and how that light is filtering the through color palette.

These are the ones I managed to get yesterday on the accelerated time testing:

FN6pagj.jpg

pr9PZSk.jpg

xSs4n4r.jpg

• Like 5

These are the ones I managed to get yesterday on the accelerated time testing:

FN6pagj.jpg

pr9PZSk.jpg

xSs4n4r.jpg

whoa. that is nice how the glow of the cloud saturation from the sunset colored the room in the two first screens.

when and if the building interior textures absorb/reflect dynamic lighting we will seem some very nice looking contrasts while traversing buildings and countryside during lighting changes.

ty for sharing.

I knew something was looking nicer on the experimental!

Also the new guaranteed message system really makes game more smooth!

I'm really happy with what I've seen on experimental today.

3Dpisyn.jpg

• Like 3

dat water reflection tho

i assume your settings are maxed? i want to find the sweet spot between  "perfect lighting" and "playable framerate"

i have clouds and shadows at very low and i assume this is the bulk of the lighting enhancements along with HDR.

dat water reflection tho

i assume your settings are maxed? i want to find the sweet spot between  "perfect lighting" and "playable framerate"

i have clouds and shadows at very low and i assume this is the bulk of the lighting enhancements along with HDR.

Clouds and shadows on normal, Everything else on high or highest.  Go check out http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156341-lets-post-some-screen-shots-standalone/.

There is a lot of really nice screenshots in there

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

Clouds and shadows on normal, Everything else on high or highest.  Go check out http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156341-lets-post-some-screen-shots-standalone/.

There is a lot of really nice screenshots in there

wow that thread is nice.

also if this is moved to gallery section it might be better but this is a cross post about exp and environmental lighting tweaks and upcoming changes so maybe it should stay here?

i'm going to max out my settings on 1080i and see what kind of screens i can get on exp tonight.

I think it looks okay now, but on the EXP it looks awesome. I can't wait until the EXP comes to Stable, will greatly improve the game, in many different aspects. 

I also like this one:
6Rp5km9.jpg

Edited by Zedertone
  • Like 1

I think it looks okay now, but on the EXP it looks awesome. I can't wait until the EXP comes to Stable, will greatly improve the game, in many different aspects. 

I also like this one:

6Rp5km9.jpg

At very quick first glance this one looked like taken in real life.

Btw I have found out (on exp), that I can now afford to turn ON the Ambient Occlusion and still get okish frames.

Previously turning that sucker on ment losing almost 50%.

Something very good is happening at experimental now! This keeps me very optimistic to the point, that I'm almost affraid it's too good.

• Like 1

At very quick first glance this one looked like taken in real life.

Btw I have found out (on exp), that I can now afford to turn ON the Ambient Occlusion and still get okish frames.

Previously turning that sucker on ment losing almost 50%.

Something very good is happening at experimental now! This keeps me very optimistic to the point, that I'm almost affraid it's too good.

The feeling of too good to be true ;)

But yes that is a good screenshot. :)

• Like 1

I miss the time when the street lights were still working...

2lk2lc0.jpg

f07rpd.jpg

350uues.jpg

2ch2qvt.jpg

Darn I did not realise they no longer work O_o.

Silly me :-D.

Nice heroskin!

• Like 1

Nice heroskin!

Thanks!! B) (Would love to roll up my sleeves, put on fingerless gloves and have a leg holster. ;) )

I miss the whole night time :(

Finally got my fix of night time play on the experimental branch. The exp branch servers all have accelerated time so you can play at night! :D  (But the bad part is that it's not synced. I met a few other players and played with friends too and for some it was day, others dusk and others night. <_< It was weird asking a mate why he was using his torch to get answered it was pitch black for him while the sun was still up for me.)

But the bad part is that it's not synced. I met a few other players and played with friends too and for some it was day, others dusk and others night.

That was pretty much my only negative experience on experimentals past 2 days.

Else it was great time! Now supposedly we are not that far away from loot respawn being implemented, which will make the game a lot better!

• Like 1

tested with post processing on. very nice results. shadows and clouds affected minimally.

textures and filtering plus objects and terrain on VERY HIGH is the best. unfortunately i get driver crashes more often running it that high.