powderdtoastman

Imagine if chenarus had a living personality: let me explain

As of right now the game / land has a very limited personality.

It includes:

Areas of high risk and high reward, such as the balota airfield, sniper hill, and the hospital in electro.

Southeastern coastal areas for farming bambi's

Traveling inland will get you lost without a compass and map

This creates a system where players end up having an exact routine for where to go and what to do. Its like playing the same single player over and over. what if the pvp goal was constantly shifting?

Let me make a suggestion to add to the personality of the game:

Imagine there are radio's in the game, or this could be done with walkie talkies which are already present; and when tuned to the right frequency, a programmed voice reports out a particular town on the map where there is an increased presence of zombies. With sufficient loot in the game, it could be set so that whatever town the radio/walkie reported increased zombie presence, also was the only current location where the rarest and most valuable items will spawn. This radio transmission would change every three days, giving players who hear the transmission the chance to race to that town and dangerously retrieve that loot in competition with others and a larger zombie horde. 

Because every town is different, you or your group must modify how you approach and defend the area with each new location

Im sure the people on the forums have some ideas for this as well.

Edited by hi_plains_drifter
  • Like 6

I'd like that. You have to decide whether that person is lying or not. Maybe have traps set up?

I'd like that. You have to decide whether that person is lying or not. Maybe have traps set up?

I meant to say that it would be a voice programmed into the game and not a player. but a player could work too? i guess?

I corrected it above.

I meant to say that it would be a voice programmed into the game and not a player. but a player could work too? i guess?

Yeah, I'd like to see both npc's and players chittering away. You have to decide which voice is more trustworthy. It'll be just like having schizophrenia! 

It could be a preprogrammed broadcast that repeats on loop as a warning to stay away

I agree that there should be more incentives to travel inland rather than everyone scouring the coasts for PvP.

Edited by Hayez

Something like this that includes audio would increase the zombie apocalypse feeling that we're supposed to get from DayZ. I don't know about you, but I'm not really feeling the horror right now. I *want* to feel the horror. Desperate, garbled radio transmissions would be sooo awesome.

I thought the focus was on player made interactions, and not scripted events?

Besides, the country has plenty of personality and life as it is. They're adding more and more to it every day, but I think they should expand the background of the outbreak through lootable documents.

Pretty sure they wont add this. Its a scripted event and they want a game without that kind of stuff.

Also I wouldnt realy enjoy this if knew its just some programmed event that changes the town every few days. Would feel like doing the same old sidequest again and again..

Pretty sure they wont add this. Its a scripted event and they want a game without that kind of stuff.

Also I wouldnt realy enjoy this if knew its just some programmed event that changes the town every few days. Would feel like doing the same old sidequest again and again..

I think there is a large portion of the players that like group on group PvP action and things like this provide a catalyst for that sort of enjoyment and action for those who chose to participate.

The great thing about something like this is that players like you who "dont enjoy it" dont have to participate, therefore it wont take away from your enjoyment of the game. 

And if facing off against other players for loot feels like the same old sidequest, then i think you're playing the wrong game. PvP is the central core of this game.

/snip

Trust me Im not playing the wrong game. But if you realy want this NPC like stuff its maybe the wrong game for you. I know many people want kind of quests or other events givn by the game but the core idea was a game without all that.

By the way when vehicles and bases are in there is enough reason to go around the map and do stuff.

Ya no npc transmissions please , but there has already been a lot of talk about player controllable radio stations (like ones you would be broadcasting this message from ) which would defly add a new "hot spot " to the map , but im sure thats far down the road ,.. but don't forget mang that the game isn't even 1/4 done, all the lore and "scary stuff" should come around beta IMO cuz the way I see it id rather have the whole dev team working on server issues , lag/Desync glitches and the optimizations for more zombies and people per server before any of the finishing touches, so to speak , are added .

Trust me Im not playing the wrong game. But if you realy want this NPC like stuff its maybe the wrong game for you. I know many people want kind of quests or other events givn by the game but the core idea was a game without all that.

By the way when vehicles and bases are in there is enough reason to go around the map and do stuff.

I never said anything about NPC's.

I just wanted a lore friendly way for there to be both unique rare loot and a catalyst for players who want directed PvP to get that gameplay. 

This IN NO WAY affects a player who wants a game without all that because they are not forced to participate.

I think there is a large portion of the players that like group on group PvP action and things like this provide a catalyst for that sort of enjoyment and action for those who chose to participate.

The great thing about something like this is that players like you who "dont enjoy it" dont have to participate, therefore it wont take away from your enjoyment of the game.

And if facing off against other players for loot feels like the same old sidequest, then i think you're playing the wrong game. PvP is the central core of this game.

Wrong. PvP is NOT the core of the game. Survival is the core. And no, survival isnt getting a ton of friends to go PvP with others. Its finding loot, surviving infected, and TRYING to TRADE and MAKE FRIENDS with people. I think YOUR playing the wrong game, you must think.this is Arma 4: Attack of the Chernarussian Zombies
  • Like 1

Wrong. PvP is NOT the core of the game. Survival is the core. And no, survival isnt getting a ton of friends to go PvP with others. Its finding loot, surviving infected, and TRYING to TRADE and MAKE FRIENDS with people. I think YOUR playing the wrong game, you must think.this is Arma 4: Attack of the Chernarussian Zombies

I do mostly agree with you myself, but just for discussion's sake, isn't PvP a survival technique some would take in the apocalypse? Just think of the cannibals in The Road. That's how they survive - attack, kill and eat other survivors. So in DayZ a lot of people see other players as means of getting loot in order to survive / to stay safe (seek and destroy your threats). So PvPists aren't entirely unrealistic. I can see groups of people hunting down others in a real apocalypse with survival as their core motive.

Nonetheless, I do agree that this game needs more PvE (like threatening zeds when this is further down the prod line) which is essentially the primary point, but as said, there is an emphasis on the organic nature of the game and lack of scripted events, and this is when PvP plays its most significant role in DayZ - giving the natural, and pretty realistic danger of other people.

Edited by tatchell

I do mostly agree with you myself, but just for discussion's sake, isn't PvP a survival technique some would take in the apocalypse? Just think of the cannibals in The Road. That's how they survive - attack, kill and eat other survivors. So in DayZ a lot of people see other players as means of getting loot in order to survive / to stay safe (seek and destroy your threats). So PvPists aren't entirely unrealistic. I can see groups of people hunting down others in a real apocalypse with survival as their core motive.

Nonetheless, I do agree that this game needs more PvE (like threatening zeds when this is further down the prod line) which is essentially the primary point, but as said, there is an emphasis on the organic nature of the game and lack of scripted events, and this is when PvP plays its most significant role in DayZ - giving the natural, and pretty realistic danger of other people.

Im for PvP and KoS, but just like actual cannibalistic pshycopaths, it needs to be in moderation. Ingame, 8/10 people KoS and I think of them as cannibalistic pshycos. The other 2 are a hero and a normal.guy.

Hopefully irl, 1 would be a cannibal, 1 a pshyco and the other 8 heros and survivors.

Its acceptable, but the amount is purely rediculous. And like I said, PvP isnt what DayZ was meant to be entirely.

Read the first word, thought of this

I gotta say, your idea is very well thought to avoid NPCs.

But I don't think they'll put anything like this in the game soon.

The DEVs will create a product, which is as close to the reality, as possible.

And then open it for mods.

As a Mod however, this could be "fairly easy", I believe.

Edited by irishroy

I think you are playing the wrong game, pvp isn't central core of this game. Oh wait, you are right, pvp is central core at the moment, hopefully this changes, we have many great pvp games out there, we don't need another one. We do need a great survival game, and this was original aim for this game. We can only wait and see.
  • Like 1