darksteeljorge

A worn helment saved my life

​Hello! thank you for clicking my post, I will talked about an experience with my friends that I had some hours ago!

So we were at Berenzino we had very basic loot and very scarce ammo, it was a normal server with about twenty five to twenty eight people.

We arrived, scout the place for a few seconds and we decided to go in. I had forty bullets for a mosin, but I wanted some 7.62x39 for an SKS I had in my back.

We looted the place, I got a few SKS bullets and we decided to leave the airfield, when going out the ACT we star hearing mosin shots. We were just four guys counting me.

The clan leader decided to go and look for the mosin guy due to the fact that he had an m4 and its better for short range.

The leader spots the enemy and engage. He was done. We are looting the guy (four of us) with no one patrolling the area that was outside the last jail building in NEAF. I was a little nervous, so I start looking around.

My friend asks me for .45 ammo and as a good clan member I open my ammo box and suddenly before dropping the ammo an SKS shot hits me!

I fall unconscious and my group goes inside the jail building except the leader who stayed out to spot the guy.

After one or two minutes I wake up and I see that the SKS guy took the time to aim for my head and shoot me.

For my luck I had a ballistic helmet which was worn and I almost let it there for a cowboy hat.

Of course it was ruined now and I was bleeding from the head. I run in to the jail building, bandage myself, get some food to restore color and I decided to help my friend who was outside.

Unlucky him when I was behind him he got shot by the same guy but now he died, and the shot was in the head, he had a ballistic helmet which was badly damaged. Didn't worked.

Of course the guy took time again to aim for the head. He was in some bushes. When I spot him I fire six rounds from my SKS and I wasn't sure if I got him because at the moment I fired, suddenly I didn't see him.

My friends in the jail building go out. One of them spray one magazine of bullets at the spot I told him.

I went around to make sure and I see his body. He was dead. I killed him. 

It's ironic how the guy who shot me in the head got killed by me some minutes later. Now i recommend you that when you see a ballistic helmet take it.

Thanks for reading !!!

:beans:  :beans:  :beans:

Edited by Jorge_Assad
  • Like 6

I didn't think they would actually save your life, thanks for the info.

It might've been bugged lol, because I've got shot in the head before with a pristine ballistic by a SKS and I was done. 

Edited by Zedertone

It might've been bugged lol, because I've got shot in the head before with a pristine ballistic by a SKS and I was done. 

yeah think so, too. i always ran around with a ballsistic worn/pristine and got one headshotted.

• Like 1

It depends on the angle of the shot, and how directly it hits your helmet; as well as the velocity and caliber of the round.

One day I got hit by a single bullet, ruined my jacket, vest and pants. Everything else inside of those was a-okay, not sure how that bullet went though, funky trajectory system there.

I've been hit and knocked out when only wearing a baseball cap.

Wake up and find just my cap is ruined.

I blame the sporter.

Helmets won't block a 7.62.
  • Like 1

It depends on the angle of the shot, and how directly it hits your helmet; as well as the velocity and caliber of the round.

It also depends on the distance he's shooting from. If the shooter hits him in the head from 20 meters, he's basically dead...

Edited by Korsbaek

hi gorge! i remember this, you ware so lucky,  :)  i did not have the same luck 5 min later =P lol

• Like 2

It also depends on the distance he's shooting from. If the shooter hits him in the head from 20 meters, he's basically dead...

Not necessarily... Again, depends on the angle of the shot and the caliber of the round.. 22 will basically bounce off helmets.

Not necessarily... Again, depends on the angle of the shot and the caliber of the round.. 22 will basically bounce off helmets.

Afaik, kinetic energy loss and other kinks haven't been implemented yet. If a round hits, it'll always do full damage regardless of how far away the bullet traveled.

Yeah, I know, but I meant if he's shot with the 7.62.

Are you talking 'in-game', or real life? Because I don't think much realism has been put into ballistics yet.

Afaik, kinetic energy loss and other kinks haven't been implemented yet. If a round hits, it'll always do full damage regardless of how far away the bullet traveled.

Nope. There's definitely kinetic energy loss. Hitting an object, ricocheting, or firing over long distances will result in the bullet losing velocity and thus energy and damage will be reduced. All of this is "ported over" (so to speak) from the Arma3 engine. Watch the following video for some great examples of how it works.

Here's another.. This one for DayZ.

Yeah, I know, but I meant if he's shot with the 7.62.

Yes, even with 7.62. A direct shot to the head will result in the item being destroyed and the damage being transferred to the head and thus, result in unconsciousness/death.

A glancing shot MAY destroy the helmet and bounce off, doing minimal damage.

Unfortunately I do not have the "proof" of this on-hand, but as far as I know it's been confirmed.

Edited by Etherimp

Nope. There's definitely kinetic energy loss. Hitting an object, ricocheting, or firing over long distances will result in the bullet losing velocity and thus energy and damage will be reduced. All of this is "ported over" (so to speak) from the Arma3 engine. Watch the following video for some great examples of how it works.

I'm talking about damage calculation. There seems to be no difference in lethality getting shot a meter away and hundreds of meters away.

I'm talking about damage calculation. There seems to be no difference in lethality getting shot a meter away and hundreds of meters away.

According to what? Because I can tell you from experience there is.

What you smoking broseph? You should pass it. Because there is a difference. Have you not heard people complain about taking 2-3 shots to down a guy with a mosin at about 500+ meters?

Velocity loss and penetration capability is definitely ingame at this point, could use some fine tweaking but it's there. 

Ballistic helmets have saved me three times now altogether and all three times i have got back up again, The best way to tell is that you will not get a message saying you are bleeding at the bottom of your screen, if you do not see a bleeding warning then you have been knocked unconscious and your helmet or assault vest have saved your life, as long as your opponent forgets the double tap rule.

During the same shootout, 2 of my buddies got shot in the head by mosin, both had ballistic helmet.

Range was under 100meters and both just went into coma.

Once we dispatched the attacker, we gave them saline bag and went on about our business.

It doesnt just depend on distance and angle, it depends on a players health as well... Actually, i think a bit of ballistics is in game, how else can a person get shot, get a grey screen, ruin his helmet but no bleeding.... Also ricochets...

C'mon guys anyone who say this is not real or that it's impossible that a helmet can save you, read comments and some of them even say that they've been saved from a helmet. 

You can ask DMentMan he is my clan leader he is the one that died from a headshot.

Of course when I woke up I was bleeding from the head and I probably lost tons of health, but that helmet made difference.

By the way non of us have idea how far was the guy that shot me but I'm guessing it was from arround 60 to 70 meters because he of course had a clear shot in the head and he didn't had a PU Scope.

Edited by Jorge_Assad

Saved my life too. I took the CR75 pistol to the head. Woke up like 2 minutes later and I had hit the guy a number of times with my M4 and he was down.

I checked his body and he didn't even have a clip. He had one bullet chambered and put it off my head. Got lucky that day lol

C'mon guys anyone who say this is not real or that it's impossible that a helmet can save you, read comments and some of them even say that they've been saved from a helmet. 

You can ask DMentMan he is my clan leader he is the one that died from a headshot.

Of course when I woke up I was bleeding from the head and I probably lost tons of health, but that helmet made difference.

By the way non of us have idea how far was the guy that shot me but I'm guessing it was from arround 60 to 70 meters because he of course had a clear shot in the head and he didn't had a PU Scope.

I wasn't even bleeding although my health was pretty messed up. Helmet and glasses were ruined. Rest of my gear was fine.

Edited by P0rkchop