tatchell (DayZ)

What are the most popular VoIP programs for DayZ?

Most popular VoIP software for SA?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What VoIP software do you use?

• Team Speak
    • Mumble
    • Ventrilo
    • Steam Voice Chat
    • Google+ Hangout
    • Other
    • None

Hey everyone, I'm interested in what VoIP software others use mostly when playing DayZ with friends / clans.

The group I play with tended to use Skype before we were very kindly offered some slots on a TS server, but unforunately not all of them seem to want to move onto TS. From what I've read there are advantages to using TS over Skype so I'm not too sure why they don't all want to make the switch. Anyone got any strong preferences or reasons to use one software over the other?

Tatch

Edited by tatchell

I prefer TS but I've used skype as well.

And I have Ventrilo and mumble for playing WoW but nobody seems to bother with those

Teamspeak is by far the most common one and depending on how many people you've got around on a regular basis it's the best solution.

Skype can only have a certain amount of people in one call as far as I am aware, whereas on TS it's only limited by the licenses you own and the server you've got.

TS is also easier, as you can just drop in and see who's online and such. I like TS. :)

Teamspeak when I'm playing with my group or I use steams voip when just playing with one other

This thread is evil! Evil I say!

/stares at the grave of decent in-game communication mechanics

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Haha no I gave an option for "none" right at the bottom and asked for strong opinions / preferences to be made clear :p

• Like 1

Haha no I gave an option for "none" right at the bottom and asked for strong opinions / preferences to be made clear :P

You don't want to hear my opinion on third-party comms programs, trust me. :D

• Like 2

Lol at anyone who tries to talk using Steam VOIP

• Like 4

Lol at anyone who tries to talk using Steam VOIP

What's wrong with it?  I don't have any issues whatsoever.  

What's wrong with it?  I don't have any issues whatsoever.  

Very laggy, poor audio quality.

drops connections often.

• Like 1

Very laggy, poor audio quality.

drops connections often.

Nope, I have none of these issues. 

Nope, I have none of these issues. 

Seems you are the one and only.

Personally, my friends and I use TeamSpeak. The free server software is simple to set up and uses practically no bandwidth despite offering very high quality audio, it actually likes my audio hardware (unlike Mumble), and it doesn't suffer from huge delays like some other alternatives. We used to use Steam despite the massive delays, we gave up when we kept losing comms due to Steam dropping connecton.

You'd have a point if DayZ had decent in-game communication. The current system has horrible quality and I won't use it as my primay method of comms until there's a simple whisper mode or hand singnals implemented, because as it stands now everything you broadcast is essentially SHOUTING.

• Like 1

At the moment I use skype since I dont have more than 1 or 2 people with me; I would use in game voip if my buddies were willing. The usual reason not to is "no one is so we got to meta-game with the rest of them." The only reason that makes sense to use outside programs is the quality of the in game VOIP; it cuts out, unclear, and whispers don't get through at all.

its also very comforting to be 10+ meters away from a buddy and know 100% what they said.

Edited by Thaeggan

Personally, my friends and I use TeamSpeak. The free server software is simple to set up and uses practically no bandwidth despite offering very high quality audio, it actually likes my audio hardware (unlike Mumble), and it doesn't suffer from huge delays like some other alternatives. We used to use Steam despite the massive delays, we gave up when we kept losing comms due to Steam dropping connecton.

You'd have a point if DayZ had decent in-game communication. The current system has horrible quality and I won't use it as my primay method of comms until there's a simple whisper mode or hand singnals implemented, because as it stands now everything you broadcast is essentially SHOUTING.

Not really, the problem is that everyone's mics are set to so many variable levels where one person sounds perfect, the next person's mic could be screaching loud.  And let's not forget people who'll just troll with their mic levels blasted.

Well, part of what I'd say to that is that there's no incentive to make rewarding in-game communications, or make the existing ones better, due to the prevalence of third-party comms programs, so it becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Katana67

Not really, the problem is that everyone's mics are set to so many variable levels where one person sounds perfect, the next person's mic could be screaching loud.  And let's not forget people who'll just troll with their mic levels blasted.

The volume is fine for me, my problem is the actual sound quality. I find it really poor. I also still won't use it to run around with my friends as long as it's still, effectively, shouting to everybody in the area.

Well, part of what I'd say to that is that there's no incentive to make rewarding in-game communications, or make the existing ones better, due to the prevalence of third-party comms programs, so it becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If they added some useful hand signals or a 'whisper mode' for the in-game direct communication I would use it, my friends would too as we have discussed this before. If the system worked more like that, instead of shouting over a large distance, it would be as natural to us as our footsteps being audible and it would add to the immersion. I am sure many players feel this way.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

Definitely Teamspeak or Skype.

I use Skype the most, but i like teamspeak more.

Just that teamspeak is a little more.. complicated. (Missing Words)

Fry76, take your apparent disliking for third-party voice communication programs elsewhere. That is not what this topic is about. Go and re-read the OP.

Inception, it was unnecessary to hide my post, as it was entirely relevant to the post I quoted.

Despite the fact he was completely off topic, my reply made eminently too much sense. I curse your heavy-handedness. He who wields the banhammer must do so with fairness and justice.

banhammer.jpg

• Like 1

Inception, it was unnecessary to hide my post, as it was entirely relevant to the post I quoted.

Despite the fact he was completely off topic, my reply made eminently too much sense. I curse your heavy-handedness. He who wields the banhammer must do so with fairness and justice.

I hid all the replies to his post. Don't make me ban you for disagreeing. (That was a joke).

Back on-topic please.

Edited by Inception.

Seems you are the one and only.

I use it when playing with my partner.  No issues.