proto00000

DayZ Standalone- Steam: Preparing to launch

Issue:

I purchased and downloaded DayZ Standalone via Steam earlier today, and I have not been able to play. It seems that as soon as I try to run the game, it opens a Steam pop-up that says "Preparing to launch DayZ", then immediately disappears and fails to start the game. According to my friends in Skype and Steam, it says that I am playing DayZ, but on my screen, nothing is happening. It always says "Prototype784x is playing DayZ" for them. To clarify, I'm unable to launch the game, with no errors reported. I have tried all troubleshooting steps available on this site, and I'm unable to do a clean install of Windows unless it is completely necessary..I'd really prefer not to. Anyways I hope I was being clear enough, my system specs are below.

System Specs (edited over time):

CPU: Intel i7-3970X @ 3.50 GHz

GPU: (4 total GPUs, configured in SLI): GeForce GTX 690

Ram: 32GB

Steam Version: Lastest as of 8/1/14

DayZ Standalone Version: Lastest as of 8/1/14

Drivers: Latest as of 8/1/14

Again, please try your best to help me solve this, a few of my friends are playing and I'd really like to join them soon.

P.S, I have tried reinstalling both Steam and DayZ.

Edited by proto00000

No it isn't; it only happens in DayZ.

That rules out issues with the cloud, hmmm you can try renaming your client registry then launching as admin.

• Completely exit from the Steam client.
  • Go to C:\Program Files\Steam (or the Steam directory that was specified during installation).
  • Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.
  • Restart Steam to allow the file to be recreated.

Report back,

Steak.

Might be anti virus try this first.

Browse to your ARMA 3 installation folder C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\

Run the following installers:

• ...\Steamapps\common\Arma 3\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

Reboot your computer and test run steam as administrator,

Report back.

Might be anti virus try this first.

Browse to your ARMA 3 installation folder C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\

• ...\Steamapps\common\Arma 3\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

Report back.

I have the standalone version, not the arma mod :O

• Like 1

I have the standalone version, not the arma mod :o

Correct but you said A3 is not working aswell.

Browse to your Dayz installation folder C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\

• ...\Steamapps\common\Dayz\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

Report back.

Correct but you said A3 is not working aswell.

Browse to your Dayz installation folder C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\

Report back.

I don't have arma3

• Like 1

I don't have arma3

O my lord, I was reading two trouble shooting threads at the same time my apologizes... Still I ned you to try this old bean:

Browse to your Dayz installation folder C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\

Report back.

That didn't work either

Errrrrrrr, lets go the UAC route then.

1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settin
    1. To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

Report back.

Hmmm lets set you to experminental then verify your cache.

Launch steam as admin:

Right click DayZ in your Steam Library
Click Properties
Click the Betas tab
In the drop down menu choose...
experimental = preview testing version.

Now right click on dayz go to properties.

select local files.

verify game cache.

Let it update then launch into the game.

Report back.

Could you possibly use Teamviewer and remote connect to my PC to see better what is going on?

Can someone please help me out? I really would like to play DayZ, and as of now I just wasted $30.

My cuz had the same problem , he closed his antivirus and took down his firewall til restart , but if you've already done both and have been troubleshooting correctly then I'm not sure either sorry mate .. but like I said my cuz disabled kaspersky anti virus and took down his firewall and it worked for him , he has windows 8 also which I thought was the problem ...

Edit : also my cousin first stopped his antivirus via the task bar in the bottom right but he noticed deep within his task manager that his antivirus was still running protection from incoming connections, so check the task manager processes as well, for your antivirus , I know that's common sense but somehow i feel this is the same as my cousins issue ..

Edited by Grapefruit kush

Thanks for the suggestion Grapefruit, but that didn't do it for me. If it makes any difference, my antivirus program is BitDefender. 

If you are using an NVIDIA graphics card try turning off ShadowPlay, that has been messing up the game for me.

Did you ever find a solution? I am having the EXACT same issue as of today - DayZ SA was fine when I last played (got about 60 hours in too). I've not played for a while, and probably wouldn't have noticed but (as was mentioned in the thread by accident earlier) my Arma 3 has also died with the EXACT same issue... :( It was fine on Friday, but there have been some updates to Windows 8.1 since.

edit; Oh lol, fixed it. It seems that either a Steam update OR a windows update altered Steam's rights... I ran Steam as Admin from a desktop shortcut and it appears fine now. Well, DayZ runs. I can't check anything else as I deleted EVERYTHING :'(

It doesn't make total sense as some stuff in Steam would still run, but it's a fix! 

Edited by thebomberman

Proto, is your HDD ok? (defrag and scan with smart, let me know of results)