Sign in to follow this  
Draco122

Improvised Shotgun Ammunition + Magnum Loads

Something I've always liked about Shotguns is their ammunition versatility. My suggestion is the implementation of Birdshot, the use of Improvised Shotgun ammunition and the addition of Magnum loads for shotguns.

So why add Birdshot, well Birdshot is an extremely common shotgun round especially in Europe. It's not as powerful as Buckshot or Slugs but its often used for shooting small game such as birds, rabbits and small animals such as wild dogs. It has a huge spread compared to Buckshot but it allows a greater area to hit. Against a player I would imagine it would inflict decent damage (no where near the damage of buckshot however) and past 10 meters Birdshot would be useless for killing players. So why add it? Simply as it is extremely common, one can assume that Birdshot is found more often than Buckshot or Slugs. Most common birdshot suppliers give anywhere from 20-30 shells per box.

It also ties in with another idea of using Improvised shotgun Ammo provided in these videos:

All of them are very simple to make and craft and only need a small time frame to make (for some)

Additionally, is the idea of adding "Magnum Loads", most common shotgun loads measure 2 3/4" long, Magnum Loads are 3" long and offer increased firepower and range. They can exist for Birdshot, Buckshot AND Slug and potentially increase the usefulness of a shotgun. Additionally if Semi-automatic shotguns are ever added, some Semi-automatics NEED magnum loads to operate properly as weaker loads can't cycle the action that well and lead to jamming.

I have a question on the magnum loads. Has the IZH 43 (or the shotgun it has been based on, i'm sure it is a specific model) ever had a variant chambered for 3 inch shells (there are 3 inch shells that aren't magnum and vice versa) and if so how common is it?

I reckon, if i go into a gunshop near me and ask them how many models do they sell that are made to chamber 3 inch shells and beyond, not many shotguns will chamber them.

[Note I live in Australia where firearm ownership is heavily controlled. Pump action and semi-automatic shotguns are incredibility hard to get without a medical certificate which not many doctors will issue or owning land large enough to justify them in the eyes of the government. Therefore single and double barrels are the norm with the occasional lever action in there as either a gimmick or they are the main supplier for the area,]

Or...give the game some shotgun adapters so you can shoot any load out of it... :)

All of them are very simple to make and craft and only need a small time frame to make (for some)

Easy to craft IRL perhaps...coding different things like cutshells, hand loaded shells or wax slugs on the other hand isn't done in seconds and can cost a ton of money depending on what you want it to do...i think they should really finish the survival aspect of the game first before adding even more weapons and ammunition types.

this.
i was actually just about to suggest makeshift shotgun ammo, but i agree this is something to be done at a later time, after the base game is finished
i hope the devs have this idea in mind though, it would be fun to craft random crap into shotgun shells, and it would allow for more "junk" loot,
adding even MORE dificulty to the game. lol