Sign in to follow this  
Meekalew

Grappling Hooks and Climbing

I think this would be an interesting idea to add into DayZ.

The ability to use a Grappling hook to get on top of places you normally wouldn't be able to get to; the caveat of the system would be, when the weight system comes in (which I know is coming), you wouldn't be able to climb if you were carrying too much gear, and normal climbing speed would be 1/2 that of a ladder, leaving you highly exposed for the duration of the climb, or climb down. 

The other caveat would be the condition of the grappling hook, which would deteriorate with every climb, and once it becomes badly damaged there's would even a risk of it breaking while you are climbing up or down it, leaving you open to injury or death as it breaks and you fall.

• Like 1

Uhh, so a sniper on top of an unreachable building unless you have said grapple hook.

Sniper gets shot, no one has a grapple hook, loot is just chilling up there.....

Said sniper gets his co-snipers grapple hook, gets his gear back.

Uhh, so a sniper on top of an unreachable building unless you have said grapple hook.

Sniper gets shot, no one has a grapple hook, loot is just chilling up there.....

This has got to be one of the most stupid counter arguments I think I've read here.

• Like 3

If we're going to have grappling hooks, we should also allow makeshift ladders. Easy to make and use, but not very portable, unlike the grappling hook.

This has got to be one of the most stupid counter arguments I think I've read here.

I second this post, and support the OP.

Many beans to the first video showing someone grappling a zed and going land-skiing behind it.

• Like 1

Why would this be a bad thing?

Maybe the re-acquirement of the sniper's loot is a bit meta-gamey, but not getting to the loot should be a risk that each preson should face, if things like climbing gear were put into the game, which I doubt because of the amount if work it would require.

They would have to add new features to the engine and change the way houses work if they wanted to do this properly, since currently the only way to climb, defined in the engine, is to use a ladder. They could do it so that if you used an item on a wall, that wall turned into a temporary instance of a ladder, but that would not only look clunky as fuck, it would require houses to be different than they currently are.

So, no matter what, the engine and building/tree assets would have to be redefined in the engine if this was to be put into the game, which I don't see happening because of the amount of effort required. I believe rocket already expressed his reluctance to change the building assets, when someone asked him about being able to climb through windows to enter/exit buildings last autumn/fall.

It would be cool, don't get me wrong, but climbing probably won't happen until DayZ 2 is made.

Edited by TheSodesa

Many beans to the first video showing someone grappling a zed and going land-skiing behind it.

Solely because of this post Devs must stop all other work and concentrate on nothing else except getting this to work ASAP. After that they need to add in these....

rollerblade_igniter_90_2013.jpg

• Like 1

It's just a situation that is put down to show one way it can deteriorate the game. Many people hate the game cause of snipers, adding grappling hooks would just give them more advantages.

hahaa! thats what I thought.. just kinda explains a scenario with the grapp hook in it ? ^_^

I dont see why we couldnt have a uber rare grappling hook.. Maybe it could also be hard to master to add more depth

I don't like the idea of a grappling hook, but I think ropes would be great to aide climbing buildings.

http://www.wikihow.com/Climb-Buildings

Here you could climb up with just a gun an a can of beans in your pockets. If you tried to go up with a backpack or anything too heavy when you should transition from the pipe to the roof/gutter you instead fall and die.

ZPkvklc.png

Edited by aloned

Yeah, I agree that ropes could be used as "lasso" to drag your enemy / hang it on a tree / tie on a tree/pipe(haha) or attach it to some pipe to climb / drop yourself down.

Not that I oppose grappling hook, it would be awesome as well.

Here's one crazy idea: Attach lasso on player and attach it to your vehicle in future! Now drive! (Joking)

Edited by Mahado

It's just a situation that is put down to show one way it can deteriorate the game. Many people hate the game cause of snipers, adding grappling hooks would just give them more advantages.

A guy climbing up to an inaccessible point would expose himself to being shot as he grappled not to mention it would take a long time (and imagine sniping the rope just as he got near the top so he fell to his death). You now have a guy who is stuck on top of a single structure. Snipers are easy to avoid anyway as long as you're paying attention to what you're doing and how many buildings are there anyway that you can't already get on top?

Now the other more widely used option is grappling to roofs to get the fuck away from zombies, etch.

I like the general idea, but the biggest problem with it I can think of is defining what the grappling hook can and can't attach to. Buildings and surfaces would need a whole new set of properties.

But the new physics do open lots of possibilities - what about attaching a rope to an crafted grappling arrow, for example?