Sign in to follow this  
zecele

What's your most recent mistake in DayZ?

One of the most important parts of DayZ is learning from your mistakes. Just was wondering what recent mistakes other people have made.

I recently made the mistake of not realising that you can shoot through the big blue industrial buildings with the double doors on both sides. Didn't end well.

What about you guys?

• Like 1

do not follow someone around for half an hour spamming the adoring fan soundboard if you want to live.  :|

• Like 2

ALT-Tabbing while in the middle of town trying to read up on a newly released manga....and expecting to live...yea no. >.<

• Like 1

Getting attached to my gear for the umpteenth time.

Me, happy little camper that I am, felt safe enough to go afk for a few minutes to take the dog out.

Needless to say I come back to the "You are dead" screen.

I then remembered that I was playing on a completely packed server. Had I not forgotten that, I might still have been alive.

So, Note to self: If Server full: Find an actual hiding spot, don't just squat behind a bush.

Lesson learned, duly noted.

i was in the balota ATC with my friend, and i had been messing around with the Amphibia testing the noise and such, obviously drawing tons of attention, (first mistake), out of no where , my friend gets sniped by a long range, and my big mistake here was, i waited at the top of the stairs across from the door, waiting for him to get back, i knew it was a bad spot but i figured i would just guard the door for a few minutes, and suddenly i also get sniped, i kinda saw it coming but i had to guard my friends gear somehow, and i was sure i wasnt safe at all upstairs or the 2nd floor, meh, :P

running to NWAF with every piece of gear possible then getting beaten by a zombie only to realize you have no bandages and a non ripable (is that a word?) shirt :(

• Like 1

Getting attached to my gear for the umpteenth time.

Me, happy little camper that I am, felt safe enough to go afk for a few minutes to take the dog out.

Needless to say I come back to the "You are dead" screen.

I then remembered that I was playing on a completely packed server. Had I not forgotten that, I might still have been alive.

So, Note to self: If Server full: Find an actual hiding spot, don't just squat behind a bush.

Lesson learned, duly noted.

i was on an empty server, and decide to take a few seconds to grab some snacks in the next room, looked all around and thought i was safe, came back to 2 zombies beating me.  Before i could do anything i saw myself get knocked unconscious, so players or not its not safe to leave the computer even for a second lol

the no bandages is a classic, i had a few crazy times with that, one time i worked out i could use bandanas as rags, totally at the last minute with black and white vision haha

• Like 1

Well, normally I go into the low loot red or green buildings with the white steps on the side and hunker down there. It only happened once that a Zombie was able to climb the steps. Once you are idle, the zombies go idle as well after a while. Rather than following you up the steps, they walk underneath to your location, while your in the upper level.

Try it and see if that's just me or if you have the same results.

That strategy so far was 99% fool proof. I can be idle for hours not having to worry about zombies while making lunch or doing a quick cleaning or whatever.

Also, on high pop servers, just go somewhere no one else goes Any old hut in Balota will do away from the main street, same with Zeleno, Prigorodki, Berezino... I've been away for hours on end squatting in a small house nobody cares for and no one ever found me.

Edited by Demonica

running to NWAF with every piece of gear possible then getting beaten by a zombie only to realize you have no bandages and a non ripable (is that a word?) shirt :(

Also getting into a firefight with only bandages in my trousers / assault vest. Subsequently get shot, bandages get ruined and then bleed out :'(

Edited by tatchell

Well, normally I go into the low loot red or green buildings with the white steps on the side and hunker down there. It only happened once that a Zombie was able to climb the steps. Once you are idle, the zombies go idle as well after a while. Rather than following you up the steps, they walk underneath to your location, while your in the upper level.

Try it and see if that's just me or if you have the same results.

That strategy so far was 99% fool proof. I can be idle for hours not having to worry about zombies while making lunch or doing a quick cleaning or whatever.

You can pretty much round up every zed in a town with this strat and dump them all inside the stairs.

Well I taught two people last a very valuable lesson last night, don't spawn in high profile places like atc, camo's. hangers.

The lesson I have to keep telling myself is slow down when engaging, I rush to often. Two nights ago, we had 2 guys trapped in a hanger at NEAF. We had them covered my multiple angles and it was my job to clear. The problem was we only thought there was one guy in there.

I shot a few bullets into the back of the hanger to scare them and put on edge then moved to the front. I peaked the corner and saw the guy planking trying to camouflage himself with the 5 dead bodies around him. I domed him and instead of checking the rest of the hanger, I ran straight in. Another guy was laying prone hiding by another two bodies and despite being a horrible shot, he eventually got me.

I need to print a sign for the top of my monitor saying slow down.

Yeah. And once you have all the widdle ducks, I mean Zeds, in a row, you can run out and have them chase you. Your very own personal, brain-eating entourage.

You will be bored no more. If you just use a melee weapon. Unless you die. That would be unfortunate. :P

Not my mistake, but dressing in full bandit rig and expecting to survive a NEAF encounter with the guy I sent out to avenge Alexei's murder by bandits was never going to work.

You were so convincing too - "There's some food and drink in here.  Watch out for that guy outside.  Are you with those other survivors?"

You were already dead the second I saw your camo'd elbow, mate.

nevermind.png

I spawned into a server with 3 people expecting to be safe on the coast and saw a geared guy run passed me. As soon as I spawned in and saw him I ran after him unloading my SKS. Apparently every shot missed and he turned around and shot me with his pistol.

Not pausing for long enough to scout the northern Elektrozavodsk firestation would be my latest mistake.

My FAVORITE mistake, though? You. You're my faaavorite mistaaaake... 

Always be on guard, even if there's only one other person in the server, 260 square kilometers isn't really that big.

I crawled around in a tight spot, broke my legs and died. Not even the first time, I really should stay away for the Z button when not in a huge open area...

I let a group of 3 people live when I had their heads in my crosshairs. Also, no matter how empty the server be careful around hotspots because running into the 1 other person on the server usually ends badly.

Trying to kill a guy who i knew was hacking. He shot me through the floor of a fire station. Luckily he was a dumbass and when he shot my dead body to make sure i was dead he MISSED. So i actually woke up from being unconscious with dude just looking at me and i was just laughing and not moving at all in game so he thought i was dead. Eventually he went downstairs after staring at me for five minutes.I waited a while till i thought he left then tried going downstairs to make my escape. When i tried to move i quickly realized my legs were broken and he managed to ruin my epipen. So i rolled my beaten ass down the stairs thinking i was probably gonna be beaten to death by zeds after i just got a pristine shotgun with usable ammo (Needless to say i was both thrilled for surviving and pissed for getting OWNED). So after i had rollen down the first flight of stairs and miraculously not dying of fall damage HE SPAWNS RIGHT NEXT TO ME ON THE SECOND FLOOR! I thought i was about to eat the harsh profanities i had been roaring after our initial incounter. So i frantically roll down the second flight of stairs as fast as i could but then realized he was NOT currently murdering me with his assault rifle. My curiousity getting ahead of my better judgement i rolled to a spot were i can clearly see him up the stairs. HE HADNT MOVED FROM THE POSITION HE SPAWNED IN! So thinking i was about to get some sweeeeeet payback i crawl upstairs and shot a few pellets from my shotgun up his posterier. I shot again. I waited a few moments believing lag was messing with me. Annnnd NOPE he simply wasnt affected by my nearly point blank shots to his backside. Shortly after i decided it wpuld be best to just leave when he turned and finished me were I lay. Long story short i took a chance for revenge over a chance of survival.

"Hey guys, let's go to Elektro in this high-pop server!"

Ended with three out of five of us dead, one of them I accidentally killed with friendly fire, and me bleeding out inside a crane by the docks for nearly 45 minutes...  Still don't know how I didn't die...