sobieski12

Dean Hall encourages server hopping at egx rezzed

Private hives only exist in the mod. 

* Any attempted private hive is still part of the official public hive.

Private hives only exist in the mod. Yes. But plenty of private servers exist in SA. I think they might suit you, from reading your first post.

I was simply pointing out that many servers are By Invitation Only - The standard, joe-normal 'I-bought-the-game' players CAN NOT play on those servers. They are public hive servers, of course, but they are not open to the public.

To see a list of these servers, simply set your server list ping to '0' (to list all servers) and then click on 'number of players' to list the servers by the current population. Look at the servers that have between 1 and 7 players on them... Look at the NAME of the server, many tell you what kind of servers they are, and who they don't allow in.

I rest my case:  If you want further evidence, try to log on to any of those with 1-7 players. You can't, you'll be kicked. 

To be completely fair, I admit the situation seems much worse in Europe than in the USA, but maybe this is because I'm European and have more experience of closer servers. Also the USA servers seem to change their names less. Note also: in Europe, plenty of servers will NOT 'threaten' to kick you in their description, but they will do it anyway. You can tell 97% of the time, by the number of players during peak hours. 

I wanted to say that you can very easily find yourself a server where ONLY one clan or one group play, and all others are banned. I'm not talking about if this is right or wrong, or should be, or should not. It just is.

So if it drives you mad to have hopper players 'popping out of bushes', then get in touch with one of these many clubs and whitelist servers that exist right now.. 20 minutes ago I ran up a 2 page list (thats 60 servers) with between 1 and 9 players, the top population was 12 ("Clan Server. Don't Join = KICK"). They all ARE private (with maybe 5 exceptions out of the 60.. and I didn't look any further than that). They autokick or they Admin kicks. If you have the time you can find the website of one of these, and get in touch with them.

Of course the advantage is you can arm up (plenty of loot) without being hassled by 'hopping' players, and THEN go off to a higher population - really public server for everyone - a server on the same public hive, and have your fun. Or stay on your private own server without being interrupted.

I don't know how you go about joining one of those - some say 'Pay to Play' some say 'Friends Only' some say 'Clan Server GTFO', some say 'Buy Your Own' some say 'Join=Kick' So you'd have to do the research yourself to have your peaceful DayZ game without those irritating 1 million other players.

Everyone knows these servers exist. It takes less than 10 minutes to check it out. If you don't like the 'open to all players' servers (and I LIKE them) then this is maybe the way for you to go ?

Best regards

ps - "server hopping" is a wrong term to use anyway.. Dean makes sense, he's intelligent, he has ideas.His way of expressing himself is original - like his game.

Edited by pilgrim

OK the way I saw it is lets say one of the clever cool web sites Rocket said that players would make for themselves had a list of high value parts and the server they were last seen on,

Clan X is looking for a widget for there chopper but clan Y already has it on server Z, clan X will then have to go to server Z and find and take the aforementioned widget but clan A, B, C and D are also trying to find it giving you full on clan war

it wont be server hopping it will be clans being forced to move off their so called "safe" servers and play on ones where people are as determined as you to get/keep the widget.

It has nothing to do with hopping but forcing player interaction as someone has already said,

• Like 2

Beans for the translation.

thank-you-seal-webkinz.gif

this blew me away when i watched the stream

dev supported sever hopping for rare parts

Let me quote the exact words from dean hall.

44:24

“Bearing in mind”

“Combine with our centralized loot economy. There might only be parts for that helicopter that you need on one particular server. So that’s where you are like “we need all these different parts to finish off our helicopter, we are going to have to go steal someone else’s from a server we know about”

Those are rockets words, aka server hop to find the parts to your heli  

Wow... This guy.

He means that if you can't find a particular helicopter part. Then you MAY have to HOP TO A DIFFERENT SERVER AND TAKE SOMEONE ELSE'S HELICOPTER PART THAT YOU MAY HAVE INTEL ABOUT. You know? Like an enemy player base or you know of some guys who have a goddamn helicopter stashed somewhere in a particular spot on a particular server that you can strip parts off of.

Hes not saying go camp a goddamn industrial building and hop servers until you find all the parts you need. How can you possibly try so damn hard to misguide and mislead people.

Way to take words at complete face value and not use your brain whatsoever to think even SLIGHTLY outside the box. You're an ass.

EDIT: 

You're wrong. Stop.

He isn't saying, hop server-to-server to look for helicopter parts. He's saying find a server that has a helicopter on it (not the individual parts) and go contact those players, and take your parts either through diplomacy or force. There is a huge difference between server hopping and that.

I didn't even need to say what i said. Jesus..thank you.

Edited by Flight96

That maybe what he means, I've not listened to it, but if he's saying we should go on another server for any reason, its retarded.

A MASSIVE immersion killer. 

We should never have to leave a server. The whole point of a server is a stable world where the things you do there effect the world, taking items, building bases, etc.

If I'm going to have to do things that are not part of the ingame gameplay inorder to play the game properly, then I might as well just get a better game thats not going to hell. ;]

Game hopping. 

Edited by sai
  • Like 4

That maybe what he means, I've not listened to it, but if he's saying we should go on another server for any reason, its retarded.

this.

we should NEVER have to leave our server, or force restarts.

loot respawning and VARIABLE, DYNAMIC NON-RANDOM LOOT SPAWNS should take care of any item we need in game.

this encourages wide-spread hoarding and server loot clearings by organized clans trying to build a fleet of working helis.

• Like 1

We should never have to leave a server. The whole point of a server is a stable world where the things you do there effect the world, taking items, building bases, etc.

If I'm going to have to do things that are not part of the ingame gameplay inorder to play the game properly, then I might as well just get a better game thats not going to hell. ;]

Game hopping. 

I don't think you understand or really have the capability to explore how a public hive and public hive loot database could work, or really what Dean was talking about. Brush up on your English listening skills, go back and watch the fucking video (because as you said, you haven't, so you're only source of info has been this cancerous thread), and then listen to what he actually said, and then try not to misinterpret it into an endorsement for server hopping (which can be defined as swapping servers while remaining in the same general area looking for loot)

Different clans are going to be active on different servers - right?! Maybe one of the clans on a different server has a working helicopter - still with me?! Maybe your group needs a specific part to get your helicopter working - MAKING SENSE!? Hence you would go to the other clans server in order to steal their helicopter part - DUH!!!! 

Which could obviously be an interesting way for the public hive to work, I mean if your game has an in-built public hive, why not do something interesting with it? They're also implementing a serverwide loot database, which is going to mean that not every server is going to have all the loot. So intel, communication with other groups and people across the public hive to different servers - a whole bunch of things would become viable through this, surely that's pretty cool. 

Finally, everyone needs to stop taking everything Dean says as gospel truth, because he's as enthusiastic about the game as any of us, and as a developer has the luxury of playing around with ideas that seem cool at the time, and exploring how and if they could work, that's all it is, he's having a discussion. 

In this particular case, he was simply explaining an example of how the public hive could work with the dynamic look system if everything they were talking about got implemented.

If you're so backwards that you can't handle the idea of a game spanning more than just the server it's limited to - just wait for private hives, it's not a genius solution your problem, it's just fucking obvious. 

• Like 2

This is a huge misunderstanding. He's saying that certain items or parts will be rare (like NVG's) and will have a limited amount of them on each server. This leaves you with two options: find the item in that server (even though it could be taken already), or contact a group that you already know has the parts and start trading or raiding.

This is a huge misunderstanding. He's saying that certain items or parts will be rare (like NVG's) and will have a limited amount of them on each server. This leaves you with two options: find the item in that server (even though it could be taken already), or contact a group that you already know has the parts and start trading or raiding.

This.

Someone please define the word "server-hopping" so we can move on..

How many servers per hour would one have to go through, before its server-hopping?

What's a server-hopper's purpose for changing servers?

If you know where there's a base on another server, can't you just go onto that specific spot on an empty server, change server and spawn inside that base?

Someone please define the word "server-hopping" so we can move on..

Server hopping is when you go to a specific area that has certain loot and you clear it out, switch to another server and repeat.

How many servers per hour would one have to go through, before its server-hopping?

Any time you hop to acquire specific gear

What's a server-hopper's purpose for changing servers?

To get all the best gear you possibly can

If you know where there's a base on another server, can't you just go onto that specific spot on an empty server, change server and spawn inside that base?

This is why I believe base building won't work.  You cannot implement base building without locking characters to a server

• Like 1

Let me quote the exact words from dean hall.

44:24

“Bearing in mind”

“Combine with our centralized loot economy. There might only be parts for that helicopter that you need on one particular server. So that’s where you are like “we need all these different parts to finish off our helicopter, we are going to have to go steal someone else’s from a server we know about”

Those are rockets words, aka server hop to find the parts to your heli  

"A server that we know about"

If you were server hopping then how would you possible already know that there was a group with a heli that you could steal there?

Key word there is the "centralized".
When the loot system will be final, it most likely is from the HIVE point of view.
So hive determines how many of each helicopter part are spawned and where, after that designated server have change of spawning these parts.
Not so that every server has 100% change of having loot X.
So there might be 1 pair of NVGs spawning on whole server group and after that server has % change of spawning said item so you are not guarenteed to get anything from "server hopping" so really doesnt matter. Sure you will come across one if you keep hopping and hopping but then there can be other measures to counter that so you cant server hop as its done now, one location that is. So its much harder to find item through server hopping and there is only limited number of item x, so if people already have them your hopping is pointless.

Could be problematic for casual items as food, time will tell how its done.

Ps.

This is why I believe base building won't work. You cannot implement base building without locking characters to a server

Also there has been talk (rezzed interview if I remember right) about zones that you cannot spawn in to, IE someones base, fortified house etc

Edited by Zeppa

"A server that we know about"

If you were server hopping then how would you possible already know that there was a group with a heli that you could steal there?

Tbh, back in the mod. 

The chances of finding a player base on the north border on any server was quite common.

* Server hopping is just a simple advantage that players can exploit.

Just wait till deans implements a way to store items, the numbers will skyrocket. 

When the loot system will be final, it most likely is from the HIVE point of view.

So hive determines how many of each helicopter part are spawned and where, after that designated server have change of spawning these parts.

So there might be 1 pair of NVGs spawning on whole server group and after that server has % change of spawning said item so you are not guarenteed to get anything from "server hopping" so really doesnt matter. Sure you will come across one if you keep hopping and hopping but then there can be other measures to counter that so you cant server hop as its done now, one location that is. So its much harder to find item through server hopping and there is only limited number of item x, so if people already have them your hopping is pointless.

Thank you for listening to deans slideshow regarding the topic surrounding the "centralized loot"

* The majority of people in this thread are just focused on the chopper instead of how limited the parts for the heli will be.

Ps.

Also there has been talk (rezzed interview if I remember right) about zones that you cannot spawn in to, IE someones base, fortified house etc

That would be a great idea for all the people server hopping in military bases.

Server hopping is when you go to a specific area that has certain loot and you clear it out, switch to another server and repeat.

Any time you hop to acquire specific gear

To get all the best gear you possibly can

This is why I believe base building won't work.  You cannot implement base building without locking characters to a server

Another reason why the public hive is going to be useless. 

* What happens if you or your group fixes a vehicle on a specific server? You're more than likely going to stay on the specific server until rocket can make a feature to make vehicles teleport / transfer from server to server, of which will probably not happen.

* What happens when you build tents on a specific server, you're dedicated to that specific server in storing your gear.

What will people do to try to find your base / vehicles?

* They will server hop, it's been done in the mod and it will be done again.

- The only solution to this system is character bound servers.

Edited by Sobieski12

Tbh, back in the mod. 

The chances of finding a player base on the north border on any server was quite common.

* Server hopping is just a simple advantage that players can exploit.

Just wait till deans implements a way to store items, the numbers will skyrocket. 

I wouldn't really consider looking for bases to be server hopping unless you were sitting in one area and jumping servers. In my experience it was always more fruitful to search a large area in a well populated server than to search a small area in many servers anyway.

On a side note, please use the multiquote function instead of posting multiple times in future.^^

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

Rare items are going to be hidden away in peoples bases. You will also find people who do nothing but run out to find as many M4's, whatever to hoard in their bases. I can see it now, one day you'll come across this....

You didn't understand him at all.

"...so they'll have to go steal someone else's on the server"

He isn't encouraging server-hopping. He's encouraging player-interaction based on the availability (or lack-thereof) of helicopter parts. >.>

You misunderstood completely Im afraid. He was talking about having a central loot economy. Take a time to think what that means. Certain parts would be restricted across all servers. There might only be one heli engine per 10 servers. its a way to restrict OP military items like night  vision. he didnt mean everything would be on each server. He means there will be rarer, and if you want a heli you will have to server hop to find those parts. thats how he described it, not what you said at all. OP was right

• Like 1

this guy gets it . Apple jack seems to think every server will still have every part. when clearly now things will be limited. Every server will not have every bit of loot. Things will have a 0% chance of spawning on certain servers!!! this is immersion breaking, i agree. Central loot is bad idea, should be a smaller percent chance of getting everythign on one server, or whats the point?! cant people grasp that will spoil immersion .

Yesterday I did find myself considering of server hopping for sewing kit after six hours of searching.

Im sorry, Im so sorry for even thinking that.

But I did not hopped cause I dont like to break my game for stuff cause immersion, I also hate server restarts cause break of immersion.

Yeah, the idea is ridiculous. Having to switch to a different server to get desired loot? Biggest immersion killer I've heard about.

IMO, you cannot incorporate server switching mechanics as a part of gameplay. Hell, many games go to great plot lengths in order to hide the fact, that the player is switching servers. They make a smoke screen using warp-gates, teleports, etc, in order not to break the player's immersion.

This, well... This is just wrong. :/

The whole idea of hives, or players able to hop servers for that matter, doesn't suit me at all. I'd be all for restricting a character to a server, but I understand most people don't share this point of view and that servers come and go.

I do not, and can not, understand how could loot be restricted per hive, not per server. This requires players to search for out-of-game means of communication in order to obtain information about specific items.

"Hey, let me just check twitter for info on the server where the rotors for my heli are! Be back in five!" - very immersive...

It's like we'll be attacking someone's base, and when we're done we'll go something like: "Ok, we're done here. Let's get back to the server with our base." - It almost begs to add "Beam me up, Scotty!"

Edited by retro19
  • Like 2