Sign in to follow this  
Draco122

Marlin 1894C [SA Weapon Suggestion]

Marlin_Model_1894C_.357_Magnum.jpg

The above picture showcases the Marlin 1894C chambered in .357 Magnum with a tubular magazine size of 10 rounds. Back in the old DayZ mod days the Winchester 1866 (which was portrayed as a shotgun in the mod) was a prominent, common and viable defensive option for new spawns searching residential areas. To tie in with modern times and to present a firearm that doesn't need a new ammo type, I propose this weapon to fill the gap for civilian type rifles in DayZ and to sort of bring back fond memories of using a lever action in a Zombie apocalypse setting.

It would be considered a pistol carbine for using the .357 magnum round but having the range and accuracy of a rifle yet the same knockdown power of a pistol.

Possible upgrade options I can see for the Marlin 1894C are as follows:

• Ghost Ring sights - Simple sights mounted on the weapon that replace the default iron sights
  • Vernier Sights - A more classic option, the Vernier sight is a folding iron sight with adjustable range values, potentially allowing the shooter to compensate shooting over longer ranges:
  • Scope Mount - On its own the Marlin cannot add any other optical attachments other than the Ghost Ring Iron Sighst and Vernier sight, in order to mount more advanced optics, you need a Scope mount.
  • Red Dot - Same as the ones used on the M4
  • x4 or x3.5 Scope - A short to medium range sight similar in function to the PU Scope.
  • Stock mounted side saddle cartridge holder - A side saddle shell/cartridge holder than can hold upto 6-7 .357 magnum rounds on the weapon itself which function as a speed loader
  • "Mares Leg" - With the addition of a Hacksaw, a player can create a sawn off "Mare's Leg" adaption which has a reduced capacity of 7 rounds, heavy recoil and less range but is unable to attach any of the above attachments due to the modifications, however it functions as a pistol and can be carried in the chest holster.

Gallery:

Vernier Sight

DSCN2277.jpg

Scope Mount

1895.jpg

Shell Holder

buttstock_cover_002.27944258_large.jpg

Mare's Leg

250px-MareLeg.JPG

• Like 1

kyrie eleison
Just NO

Chernorus It's not murika...they should not have even m4.

Edited by Electi
  • Like 2

kyrie eleison

Just NO

I think you're going to be very disappointed in future weapon additions. If you haven't noticed, they are not limiting themselves to just Eastern European weapons and calibers.

As for the lever-action rifle, OP, I had been asking and hoping for either a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 for quite sometime, because 30-30 really is one of the definitive lever-action calibers of the modern day (the 45-70 is of course still around, hasn't changed much since its introduction) but with the way they want to limit the different calibers of ammunition in the game I feel like a lever-action carbine in .357 is going to be far more likely to be added at this point and definitely wouldn't mind seeing it in-game. However, awhile ago I was reading some glitch reports and noticed that one of them stated for a short period of time on the experimental branch the SKS had it's name erroneously changed to "Winchester 1866" and was completely unusable, it was fixed rather fast but I think this may offer some insight on what we might be seeing in the future when it comes to lever-action rifles.

kyrie eleison

Just NO

Australia isn't Murica. Yet I own 2 lever action rifles. And we have a hell regarding firearm ownership here.

My point is, Lever actions are a good rifle. You're not going to find many that are long range precision rifles, But they're perfect for hunting.

So why shouldn't they be in Chernarus, A fictional country? 

Australia isn't Murica. Yet I own 2 lever action rifles. And we have a hell regarding firearm ownership here.

My point is, Lever actions are a good rifle. You're not going to find many that are long range precision rifles, But they're perfect for hunting.

Then add 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solothurn_S-18/1000

Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_1918_T-Gewehr

Or SOP 14,9

Or better AS VAL

• Like 1

kyrie eleison

Just NO

So lets just take out the M1911, Colt Python, FNX45, M4, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark 2 and have everyone run around with Mosin's, SKS's, Shotguns and Blasers because its too "American".

You'd be surprised what firearms exist outside of America in Eastern Europe, granted they wouldn't be as common but they certainly would not be non-existent in the region

Edit:

I can imagine you were one of those bandits in the mod version on the hill shooting New spawns with a .50 Cal because you thought you were that l33t m3ga sniper that didn't have anything better to do than piss other people off.

You say no to a perfectly fine Civilian Rifle and then contradict yourself by asking to add high powered military anti-tank rifles and Suppressed Assault Rifles. You basically shot yourself in the foot with that suggestion.

Edited by Draco122

yet the same knockdown power of a pistol.

The cool thing about the .357 is when fired out of a rifle it gains considerable velocity. Consider Winchester's X3575P, a plain old 158-gr JSP.

Under "handgun ammunition", they advertise it as making 1235 ft/s from a 4" revolver for 535 ft-lbs energy.

But under "rifle ammunition", they advertise the exact same load as making 1830 ft/s for 1175 ft-lbs energy, which is the same level as an M4 Carbine.

So it gained almost 600 ft/s and 640 ft-lbs, over doubling the muzzle energy... the bullet will expand more violently and it will produce much more severe wounds.

They are not popular among European hunters. Bolt gun is.

Anyways: why 1894 instead of 1892 or clone?

Also, the sights you have showed are not Vernier sights: they are simply tang sights. Vernier refers to the type of precise adjustment scale, they were used for long range competition shooting... they are not necessary on a .357 carbine..

• Like 1

So lets just take out the M1911, Colt Python, FNX45, M4, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark 2 and have everyone run around with Mosin's, SKS's, Shotguns and Blasers because its too "American".

You'd be surprised what firearms exist outside of America in Eastern Europe, granted they wouldn't be as common but they certainly would not be non-existent in the region

Better they added hand-made(home-made) weapons,granades,traps and pike/spear, shields and armor/clothes which one is made from things that's all around you.

Because otherwise you simply making it another shooter(with lame simulation)

Huehue. Useless post ftw.

^ Fair point, However, I'd rather see 10 lever actions, over 1 SCAR-H style rifle.

• Like 1

The cool thing about the .357 is when fired out of a rifle it gains considerable velocity. Consider Winchester's X3575P, a plain old 158-gr JSP.

Under "handgun ammunition", they advertise it as making 1235 ft/s from a 4" revolver for 535 ft-lbs energy.

But under "rifle ammunition", they advertise the exact same load as making 1830 ft/s for 1175 ft-lbs energy, which is the same level as an M4 Carbine.

So it gained almost 600 ft/s and 640 ft-lbs, over doubling the muzzle energy... the bullet will expand more violently and it will produce much more severe wounds.

Anyways: why 1894 instead of 1892 or clone?

Also, the sights you have showed are not Vernier sights: they are simply tang sights. Vernier refers to the type of precise adjustment scale, they were used for long range competition shooting... they are not necessary on a .357 carbine..

Appreciate the feedback, I wasn't exactly sure of how much gain a .357 magnum carbine has over a pistol. I suggested the 1894 because well I like the 1894 personally but I'm fine with settling with a 1892 or a clone there of. Funny thing is, Google seems to think those "Tang sights" are vernier, I guess Google isn't always right.

I can imagine you were one of those bandits in the mod version on the hill shooting New spawns with a .50 Cal because you thought you were that l33t m3ga sniper that didn't have anything better to do than piss other people off.

You say no to a perfectly fine Civilian Rifle and then contradict yourself by asking to add high powered military anti-tank rifles and Suppressed Assault Rifles. You basically shot yourself in the foot with that suggestion.

Civilian Rifle? Wat? You can murder ppl easily with it, like on real war.. you might to be kidding me, maybe m4 is Civilian too?

upd. I'll better see more shotguns, like Izsh 12 and others

Edited by Electi

Civilian Rifle? Wat? You can murder ppl easily with it, like on real war.. you might to be kidding me

I'm confused greatly by your post, likely through your poorly constructed grammar and inability to spell "people".

Last time I checked, DayZ wasn't a war simulator and I don't know any conflicts which used the 1894 in the present day. Yes it can murder and kill people but so can the other billion different ways to kill someone. I'm sure if someone tried they could kill someone with a can opener in DayZ (which they apparently have made that a possibility)

Right now what I DO KNOW is that the Marlin 1894 is a rifle that is popular in many areas for target shooting and hunting and in some places self defence, especially when chambered for a common cartridge like the .357 giving it much versatility in a world like DayZ

Appreciate the feedback, I wasn't exactly sure of how much gain a .357 magnum carbine has over a pistol. I suggested the 1894 because well I like the 1894 personally but I'm fine with settling with a 1892 or a clone there of. Funny thing is, Google seems to think those "Tang sights" are vernier, I guess Google isn't always right.

They look like Lyman and Marble's.

A Vernier tang sight is like so:

GSPWCgv.jpg?1

And you can see the Vernier scale on the side of this one:

DBbF2En.jpg?1

Again it's not very useful for a .357 because those rifles, using pistol bullets, have quite a short useful range... and really most Vernier sights you see would not be useful on any hunting or combat rifle, with the usual tiny apertures it's intended for target shooting.

I'm confused greatly by your post, likely through your poorly constructed grammar and inability to spell "people".

Last time I checked, DayZ wasn't a war simulator and I don't know any conflicts which used the 1894 in the present day. Yes it can murder and kill people but so can the other billion different ways to kill someone. I'm sure if someone tried they could kill someone with a can opener in DayZ (which they apparently have made that a possibility)

Right now what I DO KNOW is that the Marlin 1894 is a rifle that is popular in many areas for target shooting and hunting and in some places self defence, especially when chambered for a common cartridge like the .357 giving it much versatility in a world like DayZ

When i told about murdering ppl i was meaning in real life, because if you can self defend yourself with such thing...well..i think you can give a chance to taste an iron to anyone....I wish i had such an opportunity in my country to walk with such thing on street and of cop comes to me i would say - a self defense. rofl

Well, at least i do not force you to learn my language, like russians do to everyone

Edited by Electi

You can murder ppl easily with it.

you can murder people with any kind of firearm.

• Like 1

They look like Lyman and Marble's.

A Vernier tang sight is like so:

GSPWCgv.jpg?1

And you can see the Vernier scale on the side of this one:

DBbF2En.jpg?1

Again it's not very useful for a .357 because those rifles, using pistol bullets, have quite a short useful range... and really most Vernier sights you see would not be useful on any hunting or combat rifle, with the usual tiny apertures it's intended for target shooting.

I see I see, well it might go well for a future suggestion, maybe adding some form of Single shot rifle to the game at a later date.

Overall I'm generally in the boat for seeing more Civilian Target and Hunting firearms over Police and Military issue weapons sans some pre-war military surplus

you can murder people with any kind of firearm.

You can do it with anything actually, even with chupa-chups 

You can do it with anything actually, even with chupa-chups 

So what is your argument? 

Electi, on 05 Apr 2014 - 9:49 PM, said:snapback.png

kyrie eleison

Just NO

M4 is used by the Czech military.

But Chernarus (where DayZ plays, and that not real exist) is not in Czech.

They only used a location in czech as an example for terrain villages/cities and streets.

You want to play out west) 

I think that's a stupid idea to Chernarus.

U know people military isn't only thing what have weapons. There's people called civils and they can own weapons in Russia. So why not have weapons like this when there's mosin,sporter,double barrel shotgun and blaze.