hannibaldaplaya

Hunting- It better be damn hard

It should take some time - time which you are vulnerable to bandits, zeds, and\or whatever else. You'll then need to move all that you harvested - the meat must be cooked -eating raw gives a variable sickness probability (like rotten fruit does -but greater) and the fur coat, hat or whatever else must be made with a kit.

I'll be severely disappointed if they just allow you to shoot a bear or deer and instantly stick everything in your backpack...lol

If it's that easy to get sick from raw straight-off-the-animal meat it's a wonder we ever survived before the invention of fire!

No, seriously, raw red meat isn't bad for you, it's just [very] unsafe to eat if stored poorly. It's sterile (more or less) when you get it off the freshly killed animal, it became unsafe to eat when supermarkets kept it in poor/not ideal conditions, keeping on the shelf for days if not weeks.

I tried to find some websites, I wouldn't say that these are very reputable resources but it's better than yahoo answers...

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/raw-meat-safety

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/eating-raw-meat.htm

One thing to note is that it's not safe to eat pork raw however fresh it is, you can bet that wild boar don't live in the best of conditions and more than likely have parasites. Also this is thought to be the main reason Islam and Judaism forbid pork.

All in all, raw red meat is safe-ish if it's eaten right after the kill and/or stored under the right conditions

do you know that you can hunt sheeps ,cows and pigs right? They dont need skill .You are talking about wolfs and bears but why hunt these when you can feed yourself with rabbits

I heard that rabbits don't carry any nutrition..

Er..  I'll just leave this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation.

That's caused by eating the same food and nothing else, not eating rabbit. Rabbits contain certain nutritions you need, but other nutritions you also need, have to be consumed by other means. Eating rabbits only will not get you all needed nutritions and eventually you'll suffer from malnutrition. D'you think you can survive eating canned beans only?

That's caused by eating the same food and nothing else, not eating rabbit. Rabbits contain certain nutritions you need, but other nutritions you also need, have to be consumed by other means. Eating rabbits only will not get you all needed nutritions and eventually you'll suffer from malnutrition. D'you think you can survive eating canned beans only?

Did you even read it, or just arguing after reading the big bold text up top the wiki?  Its about protein poisoning, not malnutrition.

We were discussing rabbit meat.  not Beans.

On that topic, pork and beans have fat added along with other nutrients.  One would have a better chance with beans.

Either way.  Try eating only rabbit meat from your local chinatown with some berries and leafy greens for a week instead of giving shit advice to people who may actually try to use it in a real life situation.

Did you even read it, or just arguing after reading the big bold text up top the wiki?  Its about protein poisoning, not malnutrition.

We were discussing rabbit meat.  not Beans.

On that topic, pork and beans have fat added along with other nutrients.  One would have a better chance with beans.

Either way.  Try eating only rabbit meat from your local chinatown with some berries and leafy greens for a week instead of giving shit advice to people who may actually try to use it in a real life situation.

Read the first segment of the wiki article... You posted it yourself, yet you don't seem to understand the slightest bit of it. You know what? I'm gonna quote that for you: "Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat". It is a form of malnutrition caused by eating too much of a certain kind of meat. I read the first segment and recognised what it's about, then I commented about what I know about malnutrition. And btw, next to too little of needed nutritions, too much of the same one can also be harmful to the body.

For future reference, please only post about things you actually know stuff about, rather than posting a wiki page you misread or something.

Edited by The End.

One thing to note is that it's not safe to eat pork raw however fresh it is, you can bet that wild boar don't live in the best of conditions and more than likely have parasites. Also this is thought to be the main reason Islam and Judaism forbid pork.

Pork is forbidden according to christianity as well. Along with a wide variaty of other sources of food.

I died of starvation in my first playthrough. It took, at most, 2 hours. I was brand new to dayz and did know jack. Note you didn't start hungry back then.

I also starved on the high pop experimental servers. Started near the large fuel tank South of Berezino. Everything was almost completely looted. Didn't make it much past the north of Berezino (searching desperately for overlooked food, found a can, but no way to open it).

And thank you for that last line. The point I am trying to make is hunting will not work for a new spawn. If food is too hard to find you will starve to death while looking for the tools to hunt. If you find enough food in the city to survive, why spend time hunting...

Finally, if hunting is too hard, why not server hop for food.

The "totally irrelevant thingie" was for the spoiler part btw (just to clarify, didn't want to sound rude). Why not server hop to find a backpack, an M4,  a/an <insert any type of loot that you want here>? You either do it, or you don't I guess... it depends on how you want to play the game.

I think scavenging will be and should be the priority for new characters. Seeing as you start hungry, your best bet is probably to find canned food or since Dean talked about being able to pick the pumpkins (carve it out and put it on your head and we've got a new type of bandit running around) and apples - that type of food - so between what you can find in houses and what you can pick you'll probably survive. If you happen to find a bow, a rifle, arrows and ammunition - then you can just start hunting I guess. I guess hunting will be the source for food in a more long term situation or at least it should be considering the amount of meat large game yields. They (Dean? Someone? I think I heard it mentioned anyway) wanted fishing as well I believe so there's another source for food. The sources for food will most likely just grow in time: hunting, fishing, harvesting (or collecting), scavenging, different scales of horticulture (I think Dean mentioned horticulture at one point). However, how much that actually makes it in-game is another story.

Read the first segment of the wiki article... You posted it yourself, yet you don't seem to understand the slightest bit of it. You know what? I'm gonna quote that for you: "Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat". It is a form of malnutrition caused by eating too much of a certain kind of meat. I read the first segment and recognised what it's about, then I commented about what I know about malnutrition. And btw, next to too little of needed nutritions, too much of the same one can also be harmful to the body.

For future reference, please only post about things you actually know stuff about, rather than posting a wiki page you misread or something.

A form of Malnutrition

You were talking about general malnutrition like if someone didn't have a balanced diet and ate nothing but ramen noodles.  When it comes to rabbits, they are very rich in protein, but lack the fat and carbs our body needs.  That is where the malnutrition comes from.

To better explain this so you understand.  Excess protein.  Deficient fat.  Take all the supplements you want.  Eating only rabbits for protein intake is bad.

I don't know why you would go through the length of highlighting the first sentence without reading the rest of the article.  I foreseen this though and just recommended trying it yourself.

If the accounts in there aren't enough for you, of which Charles fucking Darwin wrote one.  Arguing with you is pointless.

That being said, shooting a wild boar with a 7.62 is a lot different than shooting the rabbit with a 7.62, you're probably going to get enough meat from a wild boar that shooting such a large meaty animal isn't going to affect the amount of food you get or ruin too much, but the rabbit on the other hand...

Also not sure if you've eaten game bird before, but occasionally finding shot in the meat isn't exactly a rarity.

And now I'm going to make a rabbit, disappear.

On topic:

I advocate broadhead hunting arrow and composite short bow for your best hunting experience. Remember to always stay down wind.

Im thinking the sporter .22 will be used for rabbit hunting as its basically an air rifle...same with the that .22 pistol {can never remember the name of it}

A form of Malnutrition

You were talking about general malnutrition like if someone didn't have a balanced diet and ate nothing but ramen noodles.  When it comes to rabbits, they are very rich in protein, but lack the fat and carbs our body needs.  That is where the malnutrition comes from.

To better explain this so you understand.  Excess protein.  Deficient fat.  Take all the supplements you want.  Eating only rabbits for protein intake is bad.

I don't know why you would go through the length of highlighting the first sentence without reading the rest of the article.  I foreseen this though and just recommended trying it yourself.

If the accounts in there aren't enough for you, of which Charles fucking Darwin wrote one.  Arguing with you is pointless.

I said certain foods have too much of a certain nutrition and too little of another, both of which are harmful to the body. You're saying the exact same right now, protein being the excessive nutrition and fat the lacking one, so I don't see why we're arguing still.

I said certain foods have too much of a certain nutrition and too little of another, both of which are harmful to the body. You're saying the exact same right now, protein being the excessive nutrition and fat the lacking one, so I don't see why we're arguing still.

You told me that after the article posted.

Before you shot someone down for asking a question, and gave them shit advice.  They asked if rabbits have sufficient nutrients and you basically said "GO AHEAD" without any warning to consequence. 

Nice back peddle though.

You told me that after the article posted.

Before you shot someone down for asking a question, and gave them shit advice.  They asked if rabbits have sufficient nutrients and you basically said "GO AHEAD" without any warning to consequence. 

Nice back peddle though.

Ah you mean the guy who said that rabbits don't contain any nutrition. You're implying that protein isn't nutrition? He said rabbits don't contain any nutrition whatsoever and I simply said that's ridiculous, which it is because rabbits obviously contain proteins. That's really all there is to it. I didn't say that he could live off solely rabbits or anything that implies such. It's like warning people that they can't eat candy for the rest of their life because it doesn't contain all necessary nutrients, people can think for themselves. 

Ah you mean the guy who said that rabbits don't contain any nutrition. You're implying that protein isn't nutrition? He said rabbits don't contain any nutrition whatsoever and I simply said that's ridiculous, which it is because rabbits obviously contain proteins. That's really all there is to it. I didn't say that he could live off solely rabbits or anything that implies such. It's like warning people that they can't eat candy for the rest of their life because it doesn't contain all necessary nutrients, people can think for themselves. 

discredit me and cover your ass all you want.  people can think for themselves, and he thought to ask a question.

you were in the wrong.  deal with it.

next time don't laugh at someone and better explain to them your response.  especially if it can be translated into a life or death emergency.

discredit me and cover your ass all you want.  people can think for themselves, and he thought to ask a question.

you were in the wrong.  deal with it.

next time don't laugh at someone and better explain to them your response.  especially if it can be translated into a life or death emergency.

Just scroll back and read it yourself. He said rabbits don't contain any nutrients and I said that's ridiculous. Then you come along with malnutrition, which has nothing to do with whether a rabbit contains nutrients or not. I was never wrong and you were never wrong either, you were simply talking about something different. This is a useless discussion.

• Like 1

This will never be real life. 

First the zombie part should be looked at, so they don't walk like 3rd generation zoo animal baboons fed on corn starch wearing 4 week old nappies. 

Then maybe 20 years later on the latest 500 core servers, one can add a perfect species, gender and age dependent hunting simulator reacting to different weapons, wind, weather, bullet channels, hit zones and whatever else.  

This will never be real life. 

First the zombie part should be looked at, so they don't walk like 3rd generation zoo animal baboons fed on corn starch wearing 4 week old nappies. 

Then maybe 20 years later on the latest 500 core servers, one can add a perfect species, gender and age dependent hunting simulator reacting to different weapons, wind, weather, bullet channels, hit zones and whatever else.  

I believe the zombie and animal AI was the same (or at least extremely similar), so they should be able to hit two birds with one stone there.

Just scroll back and read it yourself. He said rabbits don't contain any nutrients and I said that's ridiculous. Then you come along with malnutrition, which has nothing to do with whether a rabbit contains nutrients or not. I was never wrong and you were never wrong either, you were simply talking about something different. This is a useless discussion.

Nice complex.

Once again proving it had nothing to do with malnutrition.  That is your little world. 

He asked about nutrition to where you laughed in his face, citing his claim as ridiculous which would reverse the facts of his statement.

The end result being: Rabbits are nutritional.

I linked you an article about protein poisoning which clearly states nutritional facts and the hazards accredited with.  Thus started your ill-informed rant about malnutrition,  Nothing of which I originally referenced.  You only became sensible to the facts of protein poisoning once a credited scientist was mentioned.  The problem was never eating one type of meat which you referenced.  Its the excess of protein with lean animal meat diet, and since this thread is about survival and hunting.  I'm guessing other forms of high fat foods are scarce.

Its called humble pie.  Learn to savor it.

Nice complex.

Once again proving it had nothing to do with malnutrition.  That is your little world. 

He asked about nutrition to where you laughed in his face, citing his claim as ridiculous which would reverse the facts of his statement.

The end result being: Rabbits are nutritional.

I linked you an article about protein poisoning which clearly states nutritional facts and the hazards accredited with.  Thus started your ill-informed rant about malnutrition,  Nothing of which I originally referenced.  You only became sensible to the facts of protein poisoning once a credited scientist was mentioned.  The problem was never eating one type of meat which you referenced.  Its the excess of protein with lean animal meat diet, and since this thread is about survival and hunting.  I'm guessing other forms of high fat foods are scarce.

Its called humble pie.  Learn to savor it.

Getting quite fed up with this, but oh well...

Let me ask you a question. Does a rabbit contain nutrients, yes or no?

Im thinking the sporter .22 will be used for rabbit hunting as its basically an air rifle...same with the that .22 pistol {can never remember the name of it}

I'm gonna nerd you out but.. Ruger Amphibian Mark II or in game, Amphibia S.

• Like 1

I believe the zombie and animal AI was the same (or at least extremely similar), so they should be able to hit two birds with one stone there.

The team they hired to do the animals/hunting are also going to be working on the infected 

I'm gonna nerd you out but.. Ruger Amphibian Mark II or in game, Amphibia S.

Amphibia S thats the one i was think of XD cheers buddy, beans for you :beans: :beans: :beans:

I doubt it will be as simple as the mod, according to Rocket's livestreams and such they have brought in an entire hunting simulator dev team to work on animal AI and other stuff.

I have seen scenes from it on youtube and it is not a hunting simulation at all but an action game. Search for "Dangerous Hunts 2013".